PDA

View Full Version : soak ALL clothes in permethrin?

bertcourson
05-04-2012, 23:59
Should I soak underwear and socks in permethrin?

Smooth & Wasabi
05-05-2012, 00:03
I would research it's toxicity those are some awfully intimate garments for chemicals. Ray Jardine warns against skin contact with it.

Rocket Jones
05-05-2012, 00:07
Nope. I do my pants, shirt and hat. I don't spray my socks or underwear.

ChinMusic
05-05-2012, 00:33
Should I soak underwear and socks in permethrin?

I do.

The reason that the military didn't recommend treating underwear was it wasn't necessary due to the pants soldiers wore. Some have misunderstood the reasoning. It had nothing to do with safety.

Miner
05-05-2012, 00:35
If you wear crew socks with shorts, then treating the upper part of the sock (above the shoe) is useful. Underwear is unnecessary.

ChinMusic
05-05-2012, 01:02
I do.

The reason that the military didn't recommend treating underwear was it wasn't necessary due to the pants soldiers wore. Some have misunderstood the reasoning. It had nothing to do with safety.
I found the source of my info:

http://vimeo.com/39012753

chiefiepoo
05-05-2012, 01:22
I do the sock tops and u/w but not the outer garments. Around the waist band and lower hem of the legs with no skin irritation so far. Want to protect the places I cant see.

leaftye
05-05-2012, 01:28
I do pants, shirt and sock tops. I don't do my hat because concerns that I'll sweat it into my eyes.

Part of the reason I don't do my underwear is that the ticks will get plenty of contact with my pants before they get to my underwear. I'm not comfortable with my sweat getting it wet and it being against my skin. The back of my shirt is that way, and I'm not crazy about that either.

Skid.
05-05-2012, 07:09
Read the instructions on the bottle. SPRAY, not soak, and only outer clothing.

T-Rx
05-05-2012, 08:27
I found the source of my info:

http://vimeo.com/39012753

Great post ChinMusic. Thanks for the info.

Odd Man Out
05-05-2012, 09:25
Read the instructions on the bottle. SPRAY, not soak, and only outer clothing.

There are soak methods too. It depends on the product.

Miner
05-05-2012, 12:46
When I talked about treating the top of your socks and your hat, I was thinking of spraying it rather then soaking it. But if I did soak it, after washing it once, I wouldn't be concerned about it coming off with my sweat that much if it could stay bonded in the washer. I sprayed my clothing on the PCT just before entering the Sierra Nevada where they start to get really bad and found that after 8 weeks in Oregon, the mosquitos still didn't try biting through it in Oregon though they might remain on the fabric a bit longer (though I think I only washed my clothes 7 times in that interval). So some of the comments in the other threads about retreating every 4 weeks instead of the 6weeks said on the label seems excessive.

Miner
05-05-2012, 12:48
That read awkward. I meant by Oregon after hiking 8 weeks, the sprayed on permithrin still seemed to be working despite having washed my clothing 7 times.

LDog
05-05-2012, 13:59
For my thru attempt, I figured it would be way too unwieldy to try find, or mail drop permithrin every 4 weeks during the season. So I bought a set of hiking clothes with the product manufactured in. I wouldn't limit myself to such a narrow selection of clothing outside of a thru attempt ...

Odd Man Out
05-05-2012, 16:04
... I bought a set of hiking clothes with the product manufactured in. ...

I've seen ExOfficio has these. Is this what you got or is there another company?

leaftye
05-05-2012, 16:08
I've seen ExOfficio has these. Is this what you got or is there another company?

I think there are a few now. There is this for example:
http://www.railriders.com/men-equator-top-with-insect-shield-p-971.html?cPath=104_111

ChinMusic
05-05-2012, 16:11
For my thru attempt, I figured it would be way too unwieldy to try find, or mail drop permithrin every 4 weeks during the season. So I bought a set of hiking clothes with the product manufactured in. I wouldn't limit myself to such a narrow selection of clothing outside of a thru attempt ...

This is a great point. For many (most?) it will not be practical to retreat your clothing and allow it time to dry.

I consider Lyme to be a very significant, life-changing risk. I will be going out of my way on my thru to keep the odds in my favor. I will be having clothing treated for me, by family, and swap out my clothing in either mail drops or hand delivery.

I figure my clothing size will drop so I will want a smaller size anyway.

Miner
05-05-2012, 16:29
Ex-Officio, Columbia, Railriders and I'm sure other brands have some products with a permithrin like product manufacturered in. They will last longer then the self-treated version, but it will eventually fade with enough washing. But they should be fine for a thru-hike. Since I needed a new hiking shirt and pants anyway, I figured it was just easier clothing with it already in. Though I'm still going spray my hat (though you can buy hats that come pretreated as well).

LDog
05-05-2012, 23:08

I have a pair of Columbia trousers and an ExOfficio shirt. Looks like most of the brands impregnated with Permethrin are really made by Insect Shield, LLC. ExOfficio, Columbia, OR and White Sierra among others:

http://www.insectshield.com/AboutUs/BrandPartners.aspx

attroll
05-06-2012, 21:06
Moved to the General forums.

Wise Old Owl
05-06-2012, 22:49
Darn I thought you weighed in.

MuddyWaters
05-06-2012, 22:58
This is a great point. For many (most?) it will not be practical to retreat your clothing and allow it time to dry.

I consider Lyme to be a very significant, life-changing risk. I will be going out of my way on my thru to keep the odds in my favor. I will be having clothing treated for me, by family, and swap out my clothing in either mail drops or hand delivery.

I figure my clothing size will drop so I will want a smaller size anyway.

you cannot spare 2 hrs for your clothes to dry? When spraying the outside , you just barely dampen it till you see color darken. Thats it. Really, its dry in an hour in dry weather, really no time, easily in a few hrs in humid weather or overnight. You will want to wash your clothes first, so you will be doing it in town anyway.

ChinMusic
05-06-2012, 23:09
you cannot spare 2 hrs for your clothes to dry?

I use the soak method and it takes a good solid day to dry. I give it two. 2 hours? Not a chance.

When spraying the outside , you just barely dampen it till you see color darken. Thats it.
If that is your technique, you are not following the directions.

You will want to wash your clothes first, so you will be doing it in town anyway.

Again, NOT in the directions.

MuddyWaters
05-06-2012, 23:23
I use the soak method and it takes a good solid day to dry. I give it two. 2 hours? Not a chance.

If that is your technique, you are not following the directions.

Again, NOT in the directions.

Check out the ones intended to spray, you will find that I just told you what the directions are. Sawyer, Bens, etc, ive used several different 0.5% brands, never any issues, all the same directions.

ChinMusic
05-06-2012, 23:32
Check out the ones intended to spray, you will find that I just told you what the directions are. Sawyer, Bens, etc, ive used several different 0.5% brands, never any issues, all the same directions.
I would suggest you reread the directions. The directions are for 3 oz of spray (spray method) per garmet. "you just barely dampen it till you see color darken" will only give you partial protection. If that works for you..........great.

I will be following the directions of Sawyer.

MuddyWaters
05-07-2012, 00:38
Thats what the directions on the last Sawyer 10 oz bottle I used were. Same as another brand too. 10oz basically treats 2 outfits usually socks, shoes, pants, shirts, doing it that way. , just like the bottle also says. Yes , it does work fine.

MuddyWaters
05-07-2012, 00:52
I treat socks AND shoes ever since a hike that included 5 miles thru grass and left me with chigger bites only on my feet. Trail runners with a lot of mesh are great for hiking, and crossing water. But chiggers can get in thru the mesh and find the foot somehow, possibly thru the weave of the lightweight sock, I had probably 20 bites on each foot. No problems since started spraying shoes and socks.

ChinMusic
05-07-2012, 00:58
I def treat socks (two pairs) with the soak method. I spray the shoes.

I had my dog with me on a spring trip in Kentucky a few years ago. My dog was/is treated with Frontline but that did not keep the ticks from getting on him. It DID keep the ticks from attaching. I pulled FIFTY ticks off of him the next morning. That means ALL those ticks were in the tent with me. I was still wearing my hiking clothes and had zero ticks on me.

Permethrin is the bomb.