PDA

View Full Version : NECN video on Plum Creek's North Woods (ME) development

The Old Fhart
04-06-2005, 14:50
For those of you following the 425,000 acre Plum Creek North Woods development project that could impact the Appalachian Trail in the 100-mile wilderness, click here (http://video.necn.com/global/video/popup/pop_player.asp?ClipID1=390013&h1=Debate%20Over%20Great%20North%20Woods%20Heats%2 0Up&vt1=v&at1=Business&d1=156967&LaunchPageAdTag=Business&activePane=info&playerVersion=9&rnd=71027921) to see a 2.5 minute video piece NECN is airing today (4-5-05) on cable.

You probably will get a 15 second commercial playing before the actual news story.

TJ aka Teej
04-06-2005, 18:19
Thanks, Old
Also, at http://www.meepi.org

Massive development being proposed for Moosehead region (Associated
Press, 4/6/05)

Plum Creek files plan for homes, two resorts (Portland Press Herald, 4/6/05)

Plum Creek Timber Company submits largest development plan ever for
Maine's North Woods (Maine Public Radio, 4/5/05)

Featured site: Plum Creek's Big Plan
http://www.meepi.org/files05/pa021005.htm

SavageLlama
04-06-2005, 20:06
Interesting report. Sounds like a quandry for Mainers.

Makes you wonder how long states like VT and ME are going to remain as wooded and untouched as they are?

attroll
04-07-2005, 01:06
Yes if this come to pass then Maine will never be the same.

Peaks
04-07-2005, 08:15
Interesting report. Sounds like a quandry for Mainers.

Makes you wonder how long states like VT and ME are going to remain as wooded and untouched as they are?

I'm told that Vermont and other northern states are much more forested now then they were a century ago.

walkin' wally
04-07-2005, 17:41
Peaks is exactly right. There were a lot more farms and open areas in the 1800's than now. Even Kokadjo was a wide open space with a huge farm to raise food for the logging industry. Not far up the road towards Baxter Park was the huge Grant Farm. There were farms along the Penobscot river and Moosehead Lake that did the same thing. There are places in the Maine north country that have rock walls that were built many years ago that have huge trees growing in the area that was a pasture.
Railroads were one cause of the decline of the farms in Maine. Produce from the fertile mid west could be brought east to the markets more efficiently.

SavageLlama
04-07-2005, 21:52
I'm told that Vermont and other northern states are much more forested now then they were a century ago.
True, they were farmed for trees over a century ago.. so they are mostly second-growth forests. But they weren't developed, which is why the forests were able to re-grow.

weary
04-13-2005, 13:37
Here are some details of Plum Creek’s Moosehead Lake
Development Plan, and links on how to find out more.

Weary

On April 5th Plum Creek submitted their development plan for the Moosehead Region. This is the biggest development ever proposed in Maine in one of the most remote and stunning parts of the state. The development plan is a 570-page document. Throughout the summary the page numbers correspond to the .PDF of the plan posted at: http://www.northernforestalliance.org/plum_creek.htm

Development Details
• There will be 575 new shorefront lots and 400 new back lots for a total of 975 new houses. (see attached table for locations) (pg 156)
o The development will be spread over 16 water bodies (pg 156)
• 3 RV Parks or 600 acres of new commercial development (pg 222)
• A lodge on Brassua Lake or 500 acres of new commercial development (pg218)
• A new resort in Lily Bay that would include: (pg 214)
o Golf course, indoor pool, Marina, Fine dining, spa and fitness center, horse stables and tennis courts. (pg 215)
o “The Grand Moosehead Lodge Resort model includes a variety of accommodations, ranging from single rooms at a main lodge to four bedroom cabins, with a range of overnight, extended-stay and year-round residential options.” (pg 215)
• 1000 acre industrial area (pg 223)
• 4 new 20,000 sq/ft commercial sporting camps (location TBD) (pg 219)
• A system of rental cabins. (location TBD) (pgs 222)

Development Mitigation
• 30 year No Development Zone over 382,000 acres
o The Office of the Attorney General issued an opinion on the proposed zoning stating that it does not represent any additional conservation. For a copy contact [email protected].
• 71 Mile Snowmobile Trail Easement (pg 240 map on 238)
• 55 mile Hiking Trail Easement (pg 236, map on 238)
• An offer of up to 100 acres for affordable housing. (pg 224)
• 500’ Easements on 55 remote ponds (pg 163)

For more information contact:
Ian Burnes
Maine Projects Director
Northern Forest Alliance
3 Wade Street
Augusta, ME 04330
207 430 0139
[email protected]
Diano Circo
North Woods Policy Advocate and Outreach Coordinator
Natural Resources Council of Maine
3 Wade Street, Augusta ME 04330
207-622-3101, ext 218
[email protected]
www.nrcm.org

weary
04-13-2005, 16:11
The document is only available on line and takes more space than I dare to attempt.

But some other highlights include:

The areas encompassed by the proposal mostly involve the unorganized territories of Maine, the half of Maine; the 10.5 million acres in which there are no organized cities or towns. The Land Use Regulation Commission was created in the early 1970s to serve as the Planning Board, Building Inspector and Codes enforcement officer for this vast territory. Book buffs will know that this is the land toured and written about by Henry David Thoreau in his books and articles on his excursions to Maine.

I have had only minimal chance to read in any depth the 570 page application. But a few highlights have been spotted by me and others. These include:

-A Resort in Lilly Bay on Moosehead Lake with an "ecologically sensitive golf course", tennis courts, stables, indoor pool, and fine dinning.
-There is a 30 year no-development zoning BUT they reserve the right to put 4 new 20,000 sq/ft sporting camps AND a system of remote rental cabins... interesting take on "no-development!

-3 new RV parks replete with a gas stations, pump-out stations and convenience stores

-A new Marina across from the popular Lilly Bay state park.

-20 +/- lots on the Upper Roach Pondsl, part of the viewshed from Whitecap Mountain.

walkin' wally
04-14-2005, 12:32
I hope those golf greens can take the weight of an 800 pound moose during mud season.

mhussey
04-14-2005, 12:45
This is bad news and pisses me off. Plum Creek has made a bad name for itself outwest (in Montana and Idaho) and will soon do so in Maine if this thing flys. It will change Maine and the Northern woods forever. Natives like and enjoy the land the way it is. I realize that it is Plum Creeks land and they can do what they want with it but in all actuallity it is the Native Americans land. Then the state *****ed up in 1820 and signed 999 year leases with paper companies :mad: Paper companies dont want to sell the land back to the indians until they strip as much wood from it as they can, or they offer them less than prime land. According to acts passed, the indians are entitled to +300,000 (385,000?) acres of prime land (along streams, lakes, rivers, etc.) Now that Plum Creek sees what the land is worth, they dont want to sell it to the indians due to the fact they would only get what it was valued for in 1980. The scary part is Plum Creek owns 3.1 million acres of land in Maine, that is around 1/7 of the total amount of land in the state! I can see it now, hundreds of out of staters moving in and loving Maine but want it run like they had it back home...taking control of the area and the natives are **** out of luck. I hope this does not happen! Plum Creek, thanks for allowing us sportspeople up until now to use your land.

walkin' wally
04-14-2005, 13:27
For those interested there will be a summary with maps of the 572 page document of the Plum Creek plan in a few weeks from Plum Creek. It is free I believe.

walkin' wally
04-14-2005, 13:34
This is bad news and pisses me off. Plum Creek has made d 1/7 of the total amount of land in the state! I can see it now, hundreds of out of staters moving in and loving Maine but want it run like they had it back home...taking control of the area and the natives are **** out of luck. I hope this does not happen! Plum Creek, thanks for allowing us sportspeople up until now to use your land.

Yes, This is what is happening here and now. The character of that land will be changed forever. A golf course in the middle of that area. :datz