PDA

View Full Version : Late May NOBO Gear List-Shake down/advice

spacemonkey7
05-05-2012, 16:01
Howdy! I'm starting my thru-hike on May 26th, and I'm trying to get my gear all sorted out. I think I'm almost done but might have missed a couple things. If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated. Trying to complete the trail in under 100 days, so speed is key for me. Trying to keep my pack under 25 lbs. I think the only thing I forgot to add was some convertible pants, TP and some hygiene items for my list. If there is anything you think I left out, or not bring let me know. Thanks

Miner
05-05-2012, 16:43
I was just thinking that even with such a late start, with a 45Deg sleeping bag and no extra insulating clothing layers, you might find yourself cold at night through parts of the southern part of the trail such as the GSMNP. I think I would add at least some extra clothing layers to sleep in to insure you are warm at night until you get to Virginia. You will likely want warmer stuff for the Whites in New Hampshire even in August.

I don't get having both a hammock and tent though. Spices not really necessary (just take a few extra salt+peper packets from fast food resturants if you think you need them).

Moose2001
05-05-2012, 16:59
I suspect you're not going to like that Golite Jam with 25+ pounds in it! I'd have to agree with Miner on needing some extra clothing for camp/sleeping. Also, you list both a tent and a hammock. Dump one or the other.

Firefighter503
05-06-2012, 07:05
I think the 45 degree bag will probably be ok for a late May start. It will be mid June by the time you get to the Smokies. I would drop either the hammock or the tent, the spice missile, and pare down/drop the repair kit. Some string/floss and some duct tape should suffice for most repairs. I would add the R1 to your pack weight, as you will carry that most of the time unless stopped. Nice choice on the LaRue hat, I have like 87 of them laying around. ;)

Finn&Fionna
05-06-2012, 07:39
i was considering a watch as well. decided against it because my cell phone (probably the iphone as well) has a clock on it, and a compass, and everything else. you may even be able to drop the AT book too since theres a pdf version. just don't let your cell die.

plus watches leave a weird tan.

Finn&Fionna
05-06-2012, 07:40
also if you drop the tent, you can drop the stakes too. just need a tarp for the hammock.

Praha4
05-06-2012, 12:55
I agree with the others comments, and added a couple.
1. Why carry both an MSR tent and the Eagles Nest hammock? you don't need both, if u take the hammock, you only need an inexpensive tarp to go with it. (what MSR tent did you find that weighs only 36 oz?)
2. Socks. Take 3 pair of hiking socks. (why one pair of "camp socks"?) Smartwool is a good brand, so is Darn Tough Vermont. You can wear one pair in camp. Alternate the 3 pairs to try to keep them dry or drying out. I attach my wet socks to the side of my pack to dry while hiking.
3. Ditch the McNett repair kit. Take some duct tape, it will repair most anything on the trail.
4. Spices. You've got too much spices, almost 6 oz. Ditch some. Better to take some extra protein powder like Muscle Milk or simple Whey Protein. Your body will need xtra protein for recovery.
5. Cookset. Good choice, I use the Snow peak Mini Solo titanium cookset also and love it.
6. Platy Bottle, approx 2L. Is that all the hydration you are taking? Not taking a Platy 2L hoser or Big Zip? Just drinking from that 2L platy bottle along the trail might slow u down unless u have a way to reach it while hiking. Suggest also a 1L empty gatorade bottle for mixing drinks and other needs.
7. Patagonia R1 hoody. Great choice for an upper thermal layer, great venting while hiking in cool temps if needed and can be used in camp. No baselaye bottoms? all I see were shorts. nights will get cool at higher elevations.
8. OR mesh ditty sacks. Ziplock baggies work best for me for toiletries, etc.
9. Other stuff. No toilet paper? using leaves? The heat/humidity can play havoc with feet and skin (e.g. rashes, blisters) some Gold Bond powder and/or a small tube of hydrocortisone cream were essentials for me in the summer on the AT.
10. Pack. I have met others on the trail using Golite Jam or Pinnacle, and carrying 25-35 lbs was way too much, the packs were sagging and giving them back problems. Suggest looking at another U/L pack.

overall your list is thorough and well thought out for a late May start NOBO. You'll have to be averaging 18 mpd or better to make it. good luck!

ScottP
05-06-2012, 13:27
That's too much gear for that pack.

Odd Man Out
05-06-2012, 13:50
I would keep the spices. Spices are good. It might be possible to cut back.

spacemonkey7
05-06-2012, 14:55
Thanks for the advice, I knew you guys could help me out. Was considering having a tent (MSR missing link) and relaxing in a hammock but it seems most of you think thats not a good idea so I'm definitely gonna ditch one. Didn't know about the weather still being that cold, so extra insulation will be on my list of things to look for as well as adding some more socks. I added spices cause I heard food can get pretty bland out on the trail, I'll just cut down on the weight. Haven't had any real problems with the Golite Jam pack being at 25 pounds, but I'll take it out on more practice hikes to find out. I'll drop the repair kit and just use floss and duct tape. Was thinking about using the phone for a watch, but to many things can go wrong relying on that and I don't like having to worry if its charged for emergency reasons.

Canyonero
05-06-2012, 15:11
I would add a gatorade bottle or something else to carry water in case the platy springs a leak.

flemdawg1
05-06-2012, 15:47
I think the list looks OK. What year Golite Jam is it? (3rd gen might be OK,with that load, 1st gen maybe not).

camperjames64
05-06-2012, 22:49
Very useful info.thank y'all.