PDA

View Full Version : black flies and Mosquitos

gsimp18
05-05-2012, 17:40
Is it early enough to tell what the black fly/mosquito season will be like in Maine and the whites?

Shae
05-05-2012, 19:38
I've lived in central NH for nearly 35 years and have yet to figure out/predict how bad they'll be from year to year based on the wetness or dryness of the spring. So far no black flies to speak of but the old saying goes that they are worse from Mother's Day to Father's Day. To be honest, at least the black flies, have not been all that bad the past few years. That's here in central NH anyways. Mosquitoes are much more locale specific but easier to deal with. Enjoy the area.

Slo-go'en
05-05-2012, 22:29
I've been out walking in the woods around here in the Whites the last few days and the Black Flies are starting wake up, but not too thick yet. Trails are mostly dry, but still some serious mud holes here and there. Been getting my feet wet crossing streams, thier still running high.

Jeff
05-06-2012, 06:35
I've been out walking in the woods around here in the Whites the last few days and the Black Flies are starting wake up, but not too thick yet. Trails are mostly dry, but still some serious mud holes here and there. Been getting my feet wet crossing streams, thier still running high.

Conditions in Vermont are almost exactly the same as Slo-go'en describes.

Jim Adams
05-06-2012, 11:18
Something to consider...black flies breed in moving water. Mosquitos breed in standing water.
ie: flies around rivers and streams, mosquitos around lakes, ponds, swamps and mud holes.....just a thought.

geek

fredmugs
05-08-2012, 12:14
I learned something new today! Black flies breed in moving water.