PDA

View Full Version : Stinky Down Bags on the Trail

geckofish52
05-06-2012, 09:46
I've got a new 16 degree Marmot down bag a few months ago for my SOBO thru-hike that I'm starting in 2 months.

I've used it maybe 10-15 nights since I got it and it's starting to develop a faint stink. It's not really bad and I'm probably going to wash it it soon, before my thru at least, but I'm concerned about this being an issue on the trail. I've been considering getting a liner to try and avoid getting my stank on the bag itself, which leads me to concerns about getting hot with a liner and a warm down bag.

Are stinky bags commonplace on the trail? Should I even be concerned?

Moose2001
05-06-2012, 10:07
Just get used to it. You, and all your gear, are going to stink.

Del Q
05-06-2012, 10:25
Agreed, am a section hiker but have had quite the "aroma" after 2 weeks in the woods, I try to wash up most nights - merino wool to me is a better fabric smell wise.

Mountain Mike
05-06-2012, 12:17
Get used to it. You won't notice it after a while on the trail. Liner or sleeping underwear will help. Consider some down wash and a few tennis ball in a bounce box on the trail for when you decide to wash it.

leaftye
05-06-2012, 13:53
....I'm probably going to wash it it soon....

Do it right or you'll be buying another bag.

I'd consider the bag a consumable item. It lasts one thru hike. After that it'll smell so much you'll probably want to throw it away. You could clean it, and that will restore the loft and get rid of the smell, but synthetics tend to stink up again very quickly.

bigcranky
05-06-2012, 15:04
Yeah, wash it carefully and it should be fine. I've washed my WM bags several times over the years. I like to do it in a bath tub with down soap. It takes multiple rinses (meaning multiple filling and draining of the tub with enough water to rinse the bag.) Then I put the bag into a laundry basket to avoid tearing the baffles, drain it/squish it to remove as much water as possible, then put it in the dryer on no-heat (NO HEAT) for the whole day. Sometimes I have put it in the spin cycle of the washing machine to remove more water, but that can tear baffles too, so be careful.

The other method is to use a commercial washer (front loader) at the laundromat -- use the largest one there. Use down soap. Once it's done with the cycle, do another cycle but without soap, to triple rinse it. Then put it in the dryer on NO HEAT and sit there and watch it for several hours. Don't leave -- the attendant will see that the dryer is on no heat and helpfully put it on high heat for you (bad.)

You can do either of these things on a thru-hike if you take a zero day somewhere that has an outfitter (to buy down soap), a bath tub, and a dryer, or a laundromat with big machines.

lemon b
05-06-2012, 15:08
Don't worry about that.

Spokes
05-06-2012, 17:11
Stinky sleeping bag= Badge of honor.

AggieAl
05-06-2012, 18:00
You might want to consider buying a silk liner, which you can wash as needed. I find that this makes the bag last longer. It also adds a bit of extra warmth.

mikec
05-06-2012, 21:08
OK, no one else has said it yet so I will. Buy a synthetic bag. They are cheaper, easier to clean and dry quicker.

SunnyWalker
05-07-2012, 22:11
I agree, you'll get used to it and yo won't even notice it. Now you do, cuz you are not on the trail. Things change once you get out there.