PDA

View Full Version : Harper's to Harrisburg May 21 - May 30

JimSproul
05-06-2012, 13:37
I arrive by Amtrak in Harper's Sunday, May 20, staying at Teahorse Hostel overnight, heading north on Monday.

Plan easy pace, side trails a possibility, want to enjoy the trip. Road walk planned last day into Harrisburg.

Amtrak out, West then South on May 31.

59 yr old male hiker, hammock sleeper, inclined to grab a stealth site once in a while. Normally a solo hiker, always glad to share a cup of tea or see a smiling face.

Trail name "Half Thru"

See ya up the trail!

tf bear
05-07-2012, 09:06
Doin the same hike second week of June. Please post or IM back how you made out. Enjoy your hike!

JimSproul
05-07-2012, 10:57
Will do. I will also try to keep trail journals up to date.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=11779

Bloomer
05-11-2012, 19:44
You may want to rethink that road walk into Harrisburg.

Cookerhiker
05-11-2012, 20:47
You could hike into Duncannon and contact Trail Angel Mary. She can help you get a ride to the bus depot in Harrisburg. I did the same hike but SOBO a year ago - Mary picked me up at the Harrisburg bus station after I had taken AMTRAK to DC and bus to Harrisburg.

nehiker
05-11-2012, 21:14
You may want to rethink that road walk into Harrisburg.

There is a commuter bus from Duncannon to Harrisburg on weekday mornings.

BigHodag
05-12-2012, 12:21
Road walk planned last day into Harrisburg.

Don't understand why the need to road walk. I did the same section hike in 2010 and caught the regional transit bus from Carlisle into Harrisburg (http://www.cattransit.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Route-C-Carlisle-Local-2011.12.12.pdf). The AT goes right over US 11 and the bus route. The bus drops off in Harrisburg in eyesight of the train/bus station. Fare was about $3 one way.

Take a look at my 2010 TrailJounal entries:
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=313833

JimSproul
05-15-2012, 15:22
The "road walk" will be down 225 off Peter's Mountain through Dauphin. Its a pretty area, a country road and there is a Hardie's in Dauphin. I plan to stay at the Days Inn on the North side of Harrisburg so it is just about 10 miles. That does not sound bad to me. To each his own I suppose.

Cookerhiker
05-15-2012, 15:48
It didn't occur to me that you were crossing the Susquehanna and continuing on to Rt. 225. That's a cool walk because the ridge is narrow, the river twists & turns, and you see the river both on the right and left sides of the trail, at the same time.

Last I knew, that first mile or less down 225 is a very steep and narrow road so be careful. Perhaps my info is dated.

ki0eh
05-15-2012, 16:59
The "road walk" will be down 225 off Peter's Mountain through Dauphin. Its a pretty area, a country road and there is a Hardie's in Dauphin. I plan to stay at the Days Inn on the North side of Harrisburg so it is just about 10 miles. That does not sound bad to me. To each his own I suppose.

There is unavoidable limited access highway (constructed about 10 years ago so an old map or old recollection is now faulty)on that route roadwalking, there's no service road paralleling narrow high speed US 22/322 from Dauphin Boro to PA 443/Fishing Creek Valley Rd, and there is no southbound entrance ramp from south end of Dauphin Boro, so one would either be coming on to the highway way back north of the Hardee's or crossing lanes and jumping the Jersey barrier.

Possible alternatives:
-Hitch from Hardee's or the local gas station opposite.
-There used to be an overlook on Second Mountain (now overgrown by poison-ivy) that I've reached from both sides, but from the north side is private property/questionable trespassing on an old logging road and the A.T. map doesn't show that side, and when I was on that it was a group hike so not sure how to describe getting up in from the last house even if it is legal.
-I haven't tried walking the river bank, our drought here seems to have broken the last couple of days so that's questionable feasibility too.

ki0eh
05-15-2012, 17:06
Well, you could walk facing traffic on the northbound ramps to Dauphin Boro/Stony Creek but then you have to go all the way down to PA 443 to not jump a barrier. Still not a good scenario.

Canyonero
05-15-2012, 17:15
I did that area last year. Be careful on 225 and you will definitely need to find an alternative south of Dauphin because you won't be able to walk on US 22/322 or at least I would seriously discourage it. There is a railroad line paralleling the highway that I suppose you could walk the rails, but I would discourage that as well. My suggestion would be to hitch from Dauphin into Harrisburg.

Keep an eye out for the Statue of Liberty on the Susquehanna as you make your way to Harrisburg!