PDA

View Full Version : Tent with trekking poles... count wait with as part of your base weight?

dornstar
05-06-2012, 18:59
Just curious if people count their trekking poles as part of their base weight if their tent uses them for the poles.

dornstar
05-06-2012, 19:00
And I realized afterwards, I typed "wait" instead of "weight" in the title.

ChinMusic
05-06-2012, 19:03
If one always used trekking poles anyway.........no

That said, it's just semantics.

LDog
05-06-2012, 19:16
I see my base weight as being what's on my back, and particularly what a particular pack is capable of. I count my poles as being part of my "Skin Out" weight.

Franco
05-06-2012, 20:04
The only weight that matters to me is the difference between me naked and me with all of my gear (clothing/pack/poles...) ready to go.
I always find it really peculiar how many fuss over details.
If your big 4 are only 2 pounds all up, but your pack/clothing poles are 40 lbs , you are carrying 40lbs...
Franco

Sassafras Lass
05-06-2012, 20:16
I do a Total Weight - that includes absolutely everything - and then I do my Base Weight, which is only what's on my back.

For your purposes, I'd include your poles in your base weight if they are indeed required to use your tent.

leaftye
05-06-2012, 20:26
It depends if I pack or use them.

Desert Reprobate
05-07-2012, 10:18
More importantly, if you are hiking with your dog, do you count the weight of the leash as part of your base weight

Buffalo Skipper
05-07-2012, 11:13
I have an Excel file I use as a to calculate weight. I have formulas which allow me to include weight of items in different cagtegories. The clothes I wear, my trekking poles and items I carry in my pockets are listed as "c" or carried weight. Anything in/on my pack is "p," or packed weight.

But I agree, it is semantics.

V Eight
05-07-2012, 12:14
If one always used trekking poles anyway.........no

That said, it's just semantics.

I agree.
I did set my Sub-lite (sil) up a couple of weeks ago with sticks I found.
I did that just to see how hard it would be to find the right sticks. I had to do a little whittling
on the top to get them to fit into the extensions on the top. Other than that, it only took about
10 minuets to find 2 sticks that would do the job. So to really answer the question, No I do not count
my trekking poles as part of my tents total weight, as they are optional.

YMMV