PDA

View Full Version : Hiking the AT

BackCountry
05-06-2012, 20:28
Hey everyone! New to the site but have been lurking for a couple of days, all the info has been great so thank you!

Im in the process of planning a trip with 3 of my friends to pick up the AT someplace in Harriman, camp 2-3 nights then head back. It would work out as 1.5 days in then 1.5 days out.

Anyone have any recommendations on where exactly to pick up the trail and suggestions on camping along the way?

BackCountry
05-06-2012, 20:31
Sorry crucial pieces of info... We can drive so we wouldn't need a train station or bus stop. We would also be looking to head out of Harriman state park in NY.

Thanks again

Cookerhiker
05-06-2012, 21:04
Welcome to WhiteBlaze:welcome. If you want to confine your hiking to the AT in Harriman, it's 20 miles between Rt. 17 and the Bear Mountain Inn. Brien Shelter is half-way between and in Harriman, camping is restricted to shelters and other designated areas. You're better off leaving the car at Rt. 17 - as I recall, there's a parking area there which I believe is free whereas Bear Mountain's lot has charges.

Here's a possible itinerary:

Day 1 - 10 miles to Brien Shelter
Day 2 - hike to Bear Mountain - summit is 7 miles. It's another 3 if you want to hike on down to the Inn. Turn around, start hiking back, spend night at West Mountain Shelter 7 miles from the Bear Mountain Inn or 4 miles from the summit. Also, West Mountain Shelter is .4 off the AT.
Day 3 - hike 13 miles back to your car.

As you're probably aware, Harriman has a network of trails so your other option is to get a good map (which you should have anyway) and/or guide from the NYNJTC (http://www.nynjtc.org/) and utilize these other trails as part of a loop hike.

Hope it works out. Keep in mind that Harriman has a lot of steep knobs and ups & downs. The descent coming off West Mountain is quite steep as you're hiking north.

BTW, I grew up in North Jersey and Harriman was where I hiked as a kid and first saw the AT.

fins1838
05-07-2012, 13:33
Use the AT calculator. It's great.

Feral Bill
05-07-2012, 13:57
There are many loop trips that include the Harriman section of the AT. Get the map, pick one out, and have fun. You really can't go wrong.

Skid.
05-07-2012, 20:36
I was at the Wm. Brien shelter in '09 and it was in pretty rough condition: sloping floor; roof appeared to leak; garbage in the fireplace; no water. I kept hiking to Fingerboard, which was a little better and at least had water. If Wm.Brien has not been repaired since then, you may want to look for an alternative and/or carry a good tent.