PDA

View Full Version : Harpers Ferry

TJ aka Teej
04-06-2005, 19:46
Aside from hiking, and the ATC HQ, what's to do in Harpers Ferry? We'll be there on the 18th, after DC and before Gettysburg.

SGT Rock
04-06-2005, 20:01
Shop at the Outfitters :D

Brock
04-06-2005, 21:02
I'm curious about this too.

I would like to have my parents visit me some time on the trail during a town break for a day or two. They love old historic towns and I thought they might like Harpers Ferry (from how much people talk about it). What might some mid-50-year-olds like to do in the Ferry?

zephyr1034
04-06-2005, 22:12
Aside from hiking, and the ATC HQ, what's to do in Harpers Ferry? We'll be there on the 18th, after DC and before Gettysburg.======================================= =====================
Harper's Ferry after dark lends a new meaning to the term "ghost town." You could fire a cannon down High Street and not hit anybody.

About all the entertainment there is is the slot machine parlor or horse races in Charles Town, a six mile hitch down 340.

Peaks
04-07-2005, 08:18
Aside from hiking, and the ATC HQ, what's to do in Harpers Ferry? We'll be there on the 18th, after DC and before Gettysburg.

Downtown Harpers Ferry is National Park Service. Great place to visit if you are interested in Civil War history.

Jack Tarlin
04-07-2005, 08:27
Teej--

H.F. isn't very big, but it's a great place to explore.

You might want to start by checking out the little Museum in the center of town, which has all sorts of exhibits explaining the history and significance of Harpers Ferry. Then, I'd get a walking map and make your own tour. In addition to the town itself, I'd walk along the river out to Virginius Island, which is very pretty. If you've a particular interest in the War, there's an overlook just before the bridge that crosses the Potomac (also the A.T.); at the overlook are several large plaques that describe the capture of the town by Stonewall Jackson in 1862. Make sure you also check out the bookstore; lots of great postcards, especially photographs of famous people from the War.

Other things to do.....make sure you take a walk up the stone stairs to Jefferson Rock; of course give a few hours to see the ATC headquarters. Make sure you check out the photo albums of thousands of previous hikers, probably lots of folks you know in there. You might also ask the staff if they have any volunteer projects going on that they might need a hand with.

Absolutely visit with Laura and Ron at the Outfitter, one of the best on the Trail.

And if you have the time, take a drive out to Sharpsburg (Antietam) which is usually much less crowded than Gettysburg and absolutely worth a visit.

Doc
04-07-2005, 08:31
I'm not sure about folks in their fifties because I'm in my 60's and my interests may be different. Across the bridge is the C and O Canal running along the river for 185 miles and sharing the path with the AT for some distance. One of the great bike trails in the East. A ride up or down river would be easy to do and a chance to see the lock system that made this enterprise work.

Doc

Tim Rich
04-07-2005, 08:42
The Park Service website's pretty good, and has a listing of special events.

www.nps.gov/hafe/events.htm
www.nps.gov/hafe/index.htm
www.nps.gov/hafe/home.htm
www.nps.gov/hafe/pphtml/attractions.html

TJ aka Teej
04-07-2005, 12:41
Thanks very much!

RockyTrail
04-07-2005, 14:04
First time I went into Harper's Ferry was by accident (long story). But when I rolled down in there at dusk one day and saw the town, my first impression was "Ooooh, this looks like one those old Civil War era towns we used to see in the movies!" Duh!

It has a kind of a ghostly, historic feel to the place. :eek:

Peaks
04-07-2005, 16:26
Another good walk in the Harper's Ferry area is up Maryland Heights on the Great Conway Trail. Picture postcard views of Harpers Ferry from the Heights.

The Blue Blazed trail beyond (north) of Maryland Heights has been abandoned. It used to make a good loop with the AT years ago.

wolf
07-17-2006, 20:03
get a good nites sleep ,town is dead at nite:sun

Undershaft
07-19-2006, 10:15
Everything in the lower part of town closes at 5pm. As far as I can tell, there is nothing but residential neighborhoods in the upper part of town. None of the restaurants are open on Monday. But, it is an incredibly beautiful town. Lots of history and good walking. The ATC is always fun to visit. The Outfitters is one of the best hiking stores I've ever been to. Harper's Ferry is worth taking some time to explore.

Newb
07-19-2006, 13:20
There is a pub at the top of the hill about a block or two west of the ATC hq and across the corner from a 7-11. Actually, it's technically not in Harper's Ferry.
You have to ring a bell to get in...they have great burgers...slot machines..all sorts of fun.

BlackCloud
07-19-2006, 15:22
Did any of you notice that you're replying to a 15 month old thread?????:-?

TOW
07-19-2006, 15:59
there's not much to do there unless you want to continue your adventure by taking a float trip down the potomac, maybe a horseback ride along the C&O Canal trail, actually there should be enough history there to teach you something and keep you a bit occupied.........do you like civil war enacments?

TOW
07-19-2006, 16:00
Did any of you notice that you're replying to a 15 month old thread?????:-?i knew that! i just wanted to make sure you knew that............