PDA

View Full Version : One less wacko to worry about

marty1983
05-07-2012, 17:29
I read this article about a man the secret service just arrested for threatening to kill the president. The article also states, he was threatening to grab a hiker on the trail and kill them. I am assuming that he was referring to the A.T. based on the location of this man. I know there have been a few threads on WhiteBlaze lately regarding safety, so I thought I would throw this one in to add to the fear!!!

http://www2.dailyprogress.com/news/2012/may/06/waynesboro-man-accused-threatening-kill-obama-ar-1895548/

actionpocket
05-08-2012, 23:55
That's frightening news....

WingedMonkey
05-09-2012, 09:06
Another report says that he was hiking the Appalachian Trail, and sent some of the threatening emails from his cell phone from the trail. Lets see what gossip this generates.

rocketsocks
05-09-2012, 09:21
He's done,never gettin out.

rickb
05-09-2012, 16:58
Another report says that he was hiking the Appalachian Trail, and sent some of the threatening emails from his cell phone from the trail. Lets see what gossip this generates.

What other report? Less like gossip if you cite your source.

WingedMonkey
05-09-2012, 17:08
Posted: Mon 5:13 PM, May 07, 2012
Reporter: Dave Byknish (http://www.whsv.com/station/bios/valleysfox/141643073.html)Email (http://www.whsv.com/news/headlines/mailto:[email protected])

Updated: Mon 7:15 PM, May 07, 2012
Back to News (http://www.whsv.com/news)

Technology Helps Secret Service Apprehend Suspect Quickly
41-year old Christopher Hecker allegedly sent a threatening email to the president from an e-mail application on his cellphone.
Despite reports across the nation, the Waynesboro Police Department confirmed Hecker is from Norristown, Pa near Philadelphia.
Waynesboro was a stop he made while hiking the Appalachian Trail.
Investigators said Hecker had been sending emails from his cell phone while on the trail. He sent warnings and taunts to news agencies saying he had placed bombs at many high profile locations.
The Secret Service emailed him, and on April 26th Hecker replied that he was in the Buena Vista area.
He made his way to Waynesboro and logged into his email on the library's computer.
“In the afternoon, a local police officer arrived and notified me that a threatening email was sent to the U.S. President from a library Internet station. They had an idea of which station it was sent from,” said Director of the Waynesboro Public Library Zahr Mahmoud.
An officer with the Waynesboro Police Department said that technology allowed the Secret Service to move quickly.
“They were able to track him down so quickly,” said Sgt. Brian Edwards with the Waynesboro Police Department. “The Secret Service brought an actual mobile tech truck with the satellite. They were actually able to ping his phone using this.”
The Waynesboro Police Department said their part in the investigation is now finished and they are not uncertain of where Hecker is being detained.
Hecker is awaiting psychological evaluation from the Valley Community Services Board.
© Copyright 2012 WHSV / Gray Television Group, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

http://www.whsv.com/news/headlines/Technology_Helps_Secret_Service_Apprehend_Suspect_ Quickly_150495405.html?ref=405

WingedMonkey
05-09-2012, 17:34
He then sent an email dated Wednesday stating he was camping in Waynesboro in a park near the YMCA, the affidavit states.Another message sent that day stated that, "I will require a vegetarian diet in prison," after he murders the president, the affidavit states.
The Secret Service agent subsequently came to Waynesboro and worked with city police, who told them they'd seen Hecker that day and that he had signed into the Waynesboro Public Library, where he'd used computer for an hour, the affidavit states.
Police found him sitting along Arch Avenue, and Hecker was subsequently held on a temporary detention order, the affidavit states.

http://www.newsleader.com/article/20120506/NEWS01/205060332/VCSB-evaluates-Waynesboro-man-facing-Obama-threat-charge

rickb
05-09-2012, 18:10
I've heard of hikers getting creative to score a free meal and a ride.

rocketsocks
05-09-2012, 18:30
Psych test,for what,of coarse he's wacked,if you know how to use a computer,then you smart enough to know your wacked........there gonna trow away da key.

rickb
05-09-2012, 18:40
Psych test,for what,of coarse he's wacked,if you know how to use a computer,then you smart enough to know your wacked........there gonna trow away da key.

You'd think.

But then again who would have imagined hey'd let out the AT killer who was convicted of murdering Susan Ramsey and Robert Mountford.

rjjones
05-09-2012, 18:54
I herd he was handing out trail magic and someone said he was just being nice.Drove him crazy!;)

rocketsocks
05-09-2012, 18:57
You'd think.

But then again who would have imagined hey'd let out the AT killer who was convicted of murdering Susan Ramsey and Robert Mountford.
Did not know that,I'm just shaking my head,so I guess that JSMH.

weary
05-09-2012, 21:56
I've heard of hikers getting creative to score a free meal and a ride.
This guy hit the jackpot. He also gets multiple nights of free lodging

Rasty
05-09-2012, 22:17
Line-Up Blazing!

Wise Old Owl
05-09-2012, 22:20
On the other hand - you can tell from the news- "They are watching you at a whole new level"

MuddyWaters
05-10-2012, 12:54
Everyone knows that if you want to sent threatening messages you have to cut them out of magazines or newspaper one letter at a time and glue them on paper, and mail them. Sheesh

Creek Dancer
05-10-2012, 13:39
Not sure if he was thru hiking or not, but what concerns me is that it appears this guy was hiking the AT in the Buena Vista area, the same area where Scott Lilly was murdered last year. Coincidence? Maybe. Maybe not.

WingedMonkey
05-10-2012, 13:42
Well gee, then that would require that he have a teardrop tattoo and he ain't.

Creek Dancer
05-10-2012, 13:44
How do you know?

rickb
05-10-2012, 18:48
Not sure if he was thru hiking or not, but what concerns me is that it appears this guy was hiking the AT in the Buena Vista area, the same area where Scott Lilly was murdered last year. Coincidence? Maybe. Maybe not.

Why do you say that?

Creek Dancer
05-10-2012, 18:59
Because he wrote "Sooner or later I will grab someone, maybe in the woods, on the trail, and beat the life out of them." He is familiar with the Buena Vista area, the AT, and obviously wacko. Coincidence? Maybe. Maybe not. Makes me wonder where he was last August and whether they found any of Scott's missing gear on him. Just glad he is in custody.

Don H
05-11-2012, 14:01
Well gee, then that would require that he have a teardrop tattoo and he ain't.

I met this guy last year, he went by the trail name "Teardrop". I had hear he was being looked at for a crime, was he arrested and charged?