PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want to donate backpacking gear??

MrMiner2
05-07-2012, 18:27
I know this is a long shot, but I figure many are well off and may have gear that they don't want or use. Anyways I am a 21 yr old broke college student who loves the outdoors. I'd love to go backpacking. I uses to borrow my friends, but none of my friends (still here have anything). Thanks for anything!

Tuckahoe
05-07-2012, 19:19
Forgive me for butting in, but... Start saving your pennies. Living in a college town and working with college kids, I am amazed by the claims of extreme poverty, while said college kid chugs his 5th Mt Dew of the day or buys yet another case of Natty Light. Just spend less money on junk and put it towards good gear the first time.

Spend some time looking over this site at the many threads on DIY gear. You can make a cook stove for pennies, along with any number of items.

I do have some water bottles and a cook pot if you want them. Just send me your mailing address and they are yours.

ETA -- I also have a tarp if you want it. However, you can never sell these items, you must give them to a deserving person when you upgrade your gear.

TD55
05-07-2012, 19:28
Think I can help out with a UL toothbrush. Used, but the handle is cut off to just the right size.

johnnybgood
05-07-2012, 19:40
I have an old Camp Trail Wilderness Backpack that I'll send you if you pay for shipping . It's a 6 lb internal frame .

rocketsocks
05-07-2012, 19:44
I'll throw in a snake bit kit.

Spokes
05-07-2012, 19:51
Want an old Steripen with a disco flashing red light? You supply the batteries!

atmilkman
I KNEW you were gonna donate that snake bite kit after all the talk and praises about it the other day.

Spokes

Now that's funny!

rocketsocks
05-07-2012, 20:05
It has been a good snake bite kit,and has never been used.

atmilkman
05-07-2012, 20:09
It has been a good snake bite kit,and has never been used.
You know.... if you are really serious about helping this guy get started out on the right foot (feet) you could donate a pair of those socks with the rockets on them so he could BLAST down the trail like you do.

MrMiner2
05-07-2012, 20:17
Haha I truly do appreciate all of your kindness(es). and Tuckahoe that is a very fair assumption because you are right in assuming that. However, I do have a job, but all that mostly goes towards school fees, living, food, etc. Haha as far as drinking, mostly water for me. I am completely sober from all intoxicants since 5 months ago (got in trouble. Not a bad kid, just an unfortunate situation). Anyways, looks like I'll legally need to be sober for 3 years, so hiking will hopefully now consume most of my downtime. Thanks!

rocketsocks
05-07-2012, 20:53
Haha I truly do appreciate all of your kindness(es). and Tuckahoe that is a very fair assumption because you are right in assuming that. However, I do have a job, but all that mostly goes towards school fees, living, food, etc. Haha as far as drinking, mostly water for me. I am completely sober from all intoxicants since 5 months ago (got in trouble. Not a bad kid, just an unfortunate situation). Anyways, looks like I'll legally need to be sober for 3 years, so hiking will hopefully now consume most of my downtime. Thanks!
Hey man glad you've made a decision to stay sober,sounds like your doing great.Honestly I don't own a lot of gear,or anything I would be able to give up,all my extras have gone to my son so....:welcome to White Blaze a place where all questions get answered,and I was serious about the snake bite kit.I've decided to carry it No more.But should I think of any anything more,I'll PM you.Do you climb?

rocketsocks
05-07-2012, 20:56
You know.... if you are really serious about helping this guy get started out on the right foot (feet) you could donate a pair of those socks with the rockets on them so he could BLAST down the trail like you do.It's a lie,I'm as slow as they come.I get passed by the mall walkers,butt in there lies the reward.;)

MrMiner2
05-07-2012, 20:58
Yes I try to do a little bit of everything. I actually am trying to get back into climbing. I've been doing alot of bouldering lately....in my chacos haha or the sweaty shoes everyone rents out to use at the indoor campus climbing walls.

rocketsocks
05-07-2012, 21:04
Yes I try to do a little bit of everything. I actually am trying to get back into climbing. I've been doing alot of bouldering lately....in my chacos haha or the sweaty shoes everyone rents out to use at the indoor campus climbing walls.
Yep done a little bouldering myself.If you are trying to put a rack togeather,let me know what you need,I just may have it to give to you,no strings free.PM if in need of.

MrMiner2
05-07-2012, 21:05
Oh and thanks! Everything is wonderful. Just got my semester grades back...3.68 yuh yuh

WIAPilot
05-07-2012, 21:25
Miner - You can usually obtain hiking, camping, and backpacking gear at yard sales for less than what the shipping will cost. You can also buy it for a song at Goodwill or Salvation Army. And you missed a great thread on trail mooching a few days ago. I was a poor, broke college student myself. I worked two part-time jobs as a receptionist and a waitress. You joined today and already are seeking "donations." I'm sorry, but I don't think that's cool. You may not even be a student. Unfortunately, I am sure you will find a few marks here. I'm just giving you MY opinion. Now maybe I will rot in hell for speaking out, but I have found that those truly in need do not go on websites with their hand out.

Blissful
05-07-2012, 21:37
Yep I got some good stuff at yard sales. My Thermarest seat cushion for fifty cents and lasted me my entire NOBO hike. Check also goodwill, etc.
But I have two pair of liner socks. Also I need to get rid of three pair of Spenco Polysorb hiker insoles, size 3 (Mens 8-9) if anyone wants them. Unused, of course :)

MrMiner2
05-07-2012, 21:40
Miner - You can usually obtain hiking, camping, and backpacking gear at yard sales for less than what the shipping will cost. You can also buy it for a song at Goodwill or Salvation Army. And you missed a great thread on trail mooching a few days ago. I was a poor, broke college student myself. I worked two part-time jobs as a receptionist and a waitress. You joined today and already are seeking "donations." I'm sorry, but I don't think that's cool. You may not even be a student. Unfortunately, I am sure you will find a few marks here. I'm just giving you MY opinion. Now maybe I will rot in hell for speaking out, but I have found that those truly in need do not go on websites with their hand out.

I respect that and see where you are coming from. All one can hope is that I am honest and not trying to pull a fast one. And it's unfortunate that there are nice people? I really do understand where you're coming from, I just know I help people out with things I don't use anymore and figured others may have old things laying around. I don't EXPECT anything and trust me I'll be on the forum a lot from now on. Apparently you just joined two weeks ago and you are judging me, or just bringing negativity. I'm truly sorry you feel that way. Sorry if I came off rude or anything like that.

MrMiner2
05-07-2012, 21:41
Also, I have been checking craigslist, etc. and emailing everyone about the gear they have if it is the ad. Been a while now and haven't had any luck with actual gear suitable for backpacking.

kayak karl
05-07-2012, 21:55
i got for you a hobo stove, 5 cans of spinach, 6 rolls of toilet paper, bandana, 2 dozen #2 pencils, tin cup and a cardboard box (slightly used). that should get you started.

rocketsocks
05-07-2012, 21:58
i got for you a hobo stove, 5 cans of spinach, 6 rolls of toilet paper, bandana, 2 dozen #2 pencils, tin cup and a cardboard box (slightly used). that should get you started.
I've seen peoples do it with less.

WIAPilot
05-07-2012, 22:00
I joined 2 wks ago and have asked for nothing but ADVICE on this site. Big difference in my opinion, but hey - not everyone agrees with me. I don't see it as negativity, but as a large dose of REALITY. But again, this is just MY opinion. I am a large donator to legitimate charities and students/individuals that I personally know. I'm just saying that if you really want to get gear, there are a vast number of VERY inexpensive sources out there without asking for "donations." Now maybe you will continue to post on this site. Maybe not. But in my opinion, it would have come across as more sincere if you had at least been here for a few weeks before you started hitting people up. For better or for worse, I'm pretty direct - but these are only my views and not the views of everyone on this site. Many do not agree at all with my opinions on mooching. I am sure that you will find them less "negative."

Lone Wolf
05-07-2012, 22:05
I know this is a long shot, but I figure many are well off and may have gear that they don't want or use. Anyways I am a 21 yr old broke college student who loves the outdoors. I'd love to go backpacking. I uses to borrow my friends, but none of my friends (still here have anything). Thanks for anything!
wow. there's young kids sick with cancer that would love to go on a vacation somewhere but the families can't afford it and you got stones enuf to ask for stuff for your vacation? seriously?

kayak karl
05-07-2012, 22:11
I've seen peoples do it with less.
,but that's the DELUX beggar kit:D

WIAPilot
05-07-2012, 22:12
Because "many are well off" on this site according to him. LOL You can tell he doesn't know us very well, can't you?

rocketsocks
05-07-2012, 22:19
,but that's the DELUX beggar kit:Doh,the one with the little red vial on the side so you can tell if your house was handled improperly during quick gettaways.

Rasty
05-07-2012, 22:27
Because "many are well off" on this site according to him. LOL You can tell he doesn't know us very well, can't you?

I'm so rich I thought Platinum Blazing was trying to pickup older ladies!

MrMiner2
05-07-2012, 22:37
Wow I can tell you're a lot of fun Pilot. Well thanks to everyone who helps or saw this thread and didn't feel the need to make me feel bad.

MrMiner2
05-07-2012, 22:39
And no I don't know you. You don't know me. So how about we don't judge one another. If you don't like it please don't say anything.

WIAPilot
05-07-2012, 22:42
Wow I can tell you're a lot of fun Pilot. Well thanks to everyone who helps or saw this thread and didn't feel the need to make me feel bad.

Actually, I AM fun. And just to show you that my heart is in the right place, I'll donate a bandana to you for those tears...

ScottP
05-07-2012, 22:45
I can sell you some stuff pretty cheap if you send me a PM. I can't really afford to be giving stuff away, sorry.

Backpack, poncho-tarp, tarp, whatever. Good lightweight stuff that just doesn't fit my style anymore.

WIAPilot
05-07-2012, 22:52
And no I don't know you. You don't know me. So how about we don't judge one another. If you don't like it please don't say anything.

Well, there you go. You don't know me or you would never ask me not to say anything. I am ALWAYS going to speak up when I feel that perhaps some seniors on this site are being taken advantage of. They don't have to listen, but I am at least going to try. So Mr. "WhiteBlaze Member for 1 Day" - when you act irresponsibly, you are going to be judged.

I took the time to provide you with several resources to obtain nice gear that should cost you very little. Did you appreciate this? No - because apparently, you are only interested in obtaining what you can get for free.

MrMiner2
05-07-2012, 23:01
Thank you pilot! I do appreciate it. As I said before, those routes haven't panned out yet. However, I am
constantly looking.

MrMiner2
05-07-2012, 23:05
To everyone else: I wish I could prove myself. I can prove the student part through email correspondence. And if anyone is ever near the smokies im
down to hike. I am not taking advantage of anyone, but of course I would say that regardless. So do what you want, but I do appreciate all the kindness.

WIAPilot
05-07-2012, 23:07
Thank you pilot! I do appreciate it. As I said before, those routes haven't panned out yet. However, I am
constantly looking.

No offense, but Goodwill and Salvation Army and yard sales are FILLED will inexpensive gear! EVERYWHERE. Many items have never even been used. I suspect that you have cruised Craig's List for free items and found nothing. Go to the thrift stores I mentioned this weekend. I am positive that you will find MANY items.

WIAPilot
05-07-2012, 23:49
And for anyone who feels that I have been harsh: If any of you have priced shipping lately, it is really expensive. Tents, sleeping bags, hiking boots, and backpacks would cost a fortune to mail because they are large and heavy. And no offense, but I suspect that a lot of your items are pretty well used. :p For just the shipping costs, this guy can go into any Goodwill or Salvation Army thrift shop (especially on their 1/2 off days) and buy new and barely used camping items for LESS than the shipping costs.

unclemjm
05-08-2012, 01:30
In an effort to demonstrate to teens and college students I work with how inexpensive it can be to put together a backpacking kit I put on a demonstration.

First I listed my gear, fairly pricey stuff accumulated through purchases from forum members, sales, and saving of funds for an extended time. Then I calculated what that gear would have cost if I had paid MSRP for each item.

Then I put together a kit from items I picked up at thrift stores, made myself, found around the house or bought at a discount store.

The result was two kits, both with backpacks, hammocks, tarps, top and bottom insulation, cook kit and stove, rain gear, light, hydration system, and water purification system.
Both kits took into consideration shelter, food, water, and protection from the rain. Either kit would comfortably take me down to 20 degrees without anything additional needed.

The first kit with fancy lightweight gear, down, silnylon, titanium and shiny newer looking stuff totaled out at approximately $1050.00

My dirt-bag cheap alternative with the $5.00 thrift store back pack, $3.00 thrift store sleeping bag, homemade alkie stove and beer can pot, gatorade bottle, homemade hammock and cheap WalMart blue pad and tarp totaled out at $53.00.

It can be done. Be creative; shop carefully; add an income stream, even if just something small to earmark toward gear; and have fun in the process.

Edwardo Rodriguez
05-08-2012, 01:42
I have a Jetboil stove that you can have found it on the trail email me ed_rodriguez52@yahoolcom if you want it

Samson
05-08-2012, 08:51
I have some trail stable cheese........

yellowsirocco
05-08-2012, 08:59
I am a big time thrift store shopper and have never seen any backpacking kit in any of my local stores. I have never seen any at yard sales either. What you want is the REI scratch/dent/yard sales. That is where the good stuff is at.

Gray Blazer
05-08-2012, 09:01
Some people actually do put themselves through college. That's prolly hard for some people on here to understand (I actually saved my parents a lot of money that way). Me myself, I can never afford to be a real hiker (dam hiking pants alone cost $60 or more at the outfitters). I'll prolly die on the AT in my blue jeans. I don't have anything to donate.

What some of the people on here are saying about outfitting yourself on the cheap is true. Think of the Hobos in the 1930's. Bandanas tied on sticks carried over their backs. Stonewall Jackson's confederate soldiers could do 40 miles in a day with blanket rolls and guns and ammo. Have fun. Hope to see you on the AT.

WIAPilot
05-08-2012, 09:03
I beg to differ, but so many of my friends throughout the country are huge into yard sales and Goodwill and Salvation Army. The equipment like sleeping bags, tents, backpacks and hiking boots is EVERYWHERE.

WIAPilot
05-08-2012, 09:07
Some people actually do put themselves through college. That's prolly hard for some people on here to understand (I actually saved my parents a lot of money that way). Me myself, I can never afford to be a real hiker (dam hiking pants alone cost $60 or more at the outfitters). I'll prolly die on the AT in my blue jeans. I don't have anything to.

Gray: I may be completely wrong, but I would wager that most of the people on this site who attended college DID put themselves through college with very little help from their parents. I know that I did. I don't get a sense that the "rich and privileged" are hiking the AT and hanging out on WB.

Gray Blazer
05-08-2012, 09:10
Yeah, I was just assuming again. You know we old people are opinionated. Have a good day.

WIAPilot
05-08-2012, 09:33
Yeah, I was just assuming again. You know we old people are opinionated. Have a good day.

LOL. Like I'm not opinionated! :eek:

yellowsirocco
05-08-2012, 09:34
I beg to differ, but so many of my friends throughout the country are huge into yard sales and Goodwill and Salvation Army. The equipment like sleeping bags, tents, backpacks and hiking boots is EVERYWHERE.

My local stores don't have this stuff and that is a data point, not a definitive statement. You and your buddies might have had good luck, but you can't generalize that this stuff is everywhere.

You need to chill, man, like for this whole thread in general.

WIAPilot
05-08-2012, 09:43
My local stores don't have this stuff and that is a data point, not a definitive statement. You and your buddies might have had good luck, but you can't generalize that this stuff is everywhere.

You're absolutely right in that who am I to say that backpacking gear is everywhere. I'll just say that that I have about 50 friends in all parts of the country who tell me that these places are practically giving gear away.

I do feel pretty strongly about this issue and I am opinionated. My intent is not to rock the boat, but we all aren't going to always think alike, are we? If it bothers you that I am expressing this -I'm sorry, but some people are just more aggressive than others.

Old Hiker
05-08-2012, 09:54
1. Does your college have an outdoor gear rental/loaner facility? Ask them how/when they get rid of or update gear. Explain your situation to them and maybe they'll funnel the used gear towards you!

2. Job: please make sure you are paying cash for your expenses. Try NOT to fall into the college loan trap, so at the end of your degree, you aren't stuck with the bill for decades after. Assuming you aren't like many graduates who plan to default and leave us tax-payers with the bill.

3. Part time job at Good-will, Salvation Army thrift store: you can scope out the incoming donations for anything FIRST!

4. Local Scout Troops for upgraded/discarded gear. Volunteer time for gear?

5. Steep and Cheap dot com.

6. Local outdoor/hiking type clubs. Volunteer time for gear?

7. Part time UPS/FedEx/US Post Office driver: watch for packages from REI, LL Bean, Steepandcheap, etc. Delay the packages for a day or two, re-seal what you don't want and claim you dumped any "missing" packages on the front porch. No, wait. Wrong response. Sorry.

Good luck. You may need to have patience in your quest for gear. Not saying it's you in particular, but many young pups seem to want everything NOW. I've learned (STEEP learning curve) that good gear is worth the time, wait and moderate cash outlay.

Gray Blazer
05-08-2012, 09:57
Good luck. You may need to have patience in your quest for gear. Not saying it's you in particular, but many young pups seem to want everything NOW. I've learned (STEEP learning curve) that good gear is worth the time, wait and moderate cash outlay.

Thank You....

Rain Man
05-08-2012, 10:00
I know this is a long shot, but I figure many ... may have gear that they don't want or use. ... Thanks for anything!

Mr Miner, you have a list of what you need? I do have gear I don't want or use. Since you asked respectfully and politely, I'm happy to give you some gear ... instead of an unwarranted lecture.

I have searched and searched for backpacking gear at Goodwill and yard sales over the years, with absolutely no luck. It's purely a hit-and-miss, all-or-nothing fishing expedition, in my experience.

Rain:sunMan

WIAPilot
05-08-2012, 10:20
1. Does your college have an outdoor gear rental/loaner facility? Ask them how/when they get rid of or update gear. Explain your situation to them and maybe they'll funnel the used gear towards you!

2. Job: please make sure you are paying cash for your expenses. Try NOT to fall into the college loan trap, so at the end of your degree, you aren't stuck with the bill for decades after. Assuming you aren't like many graduates who plan to default and leave us tax-payers with the bill.

3. Part time job at Good-will, Salvation Army thrift store: you can scope out the incoming donations for anything FIRST!

4. Local Scout Troops for upgraded/discarded gear. Volunteer time for gear?

5. Steep and Cheap dot com.

6. Local outdoor/hiking type clubs. Volunteer time for gear?

7. Part time UPS/FedEx/US Post Office driver: watch for packages from REI, LL Bean, Steepandcheap, etc. Delay the packages for a day or two, re-seal what you don't want and claim you dumped any "missing" packages on the front porch. No, wait. Wrong response. Sorry.

Old Hiker: Excellent advice! I absolutely cracked up over #7. You're a funny guy! All great suggestions.

Nutbrown
05-08-2012, 10:38
I wonder if thoes of you that are giving him lectures look at homeless people this way. I can just hear you say...'what?! You want money? How about use the $4 you spend on the MD 20/20 and get a burger! and a job for that matter!'

yeesh. Miner, like some of the others, I have some stuff. Write a list up of what you need and what you might be willing to pay/trade them for. Might get more positive replies if you are willing to trade...or at least pay shipping.

John B
05-08-2012, 11:21
LOL. Like I'm not opinionated! :eek:

Well, with 124 posts in two weeks, I'd say that you have a lot that you want to share. :D

I've a couple extra Appalachian Pages NOBO guidebooks, Mr. Miner -- I'll be happy to mail you one if you're interested.

Gray Blazer
05-08-2012, 11:41
Mr Miner, you have a list of what you need? I do have gear I don't want or use. Since you asked respectfully and politely, I'm happy to give you some gear ... instead of an unwarranted lecture.

I have searched and searched for backpacking gear at Goodwill and yard sales over the years, with absolutely no luck. It's purely a hit-and-miss, all-or-nothing fishing expedition, in my experience.

At least my lectures are free. If they were college lectures, he'd be paying a lot of $$s.

I've not had good luck at the thrift stores either. Now the discount rack at an outfitters can have some good finds ocasionally.

WIAPilot
05-08-2012, 11:42
LOL. Yes, the ones of us who actually ​donate to this site usually do have a lot to share. I just don't want to share it with MrMoocher. :)

Studlintsean
05-08-2012, 11:57
WIAPilot: While I am not very active on this forum I would like to say that for someone who has been here for less than a month you truly have a whole lot "We" and "Us" to say. The kid asked a simple question and while you are entitled to your opinion, state your opinion and move on. Do you have nothing better to do with your time than heckle this guy? Some folks are willing to donate and some are not. You are obviously not, so based on the title of this thread you do not belong here.

Sorry I have nothing to dontate or more to add.

WIAPilot
05-08-2012, 12:04
WIAPilot: While I am not very active on this forum I would like to say that for someone who has been here for less than a month you truly have a whole lot "We" and "Us" to say. The kid asked a simple question and while you are entitled to your opinion, state your opinion and move on. Do you have nothing better to do with your time than heckle this guy? Some folks are willing to donate and some are not. You are obviously not, so based on the title of this thread you do not belong here.

Sorry I have nothing to dontate or more to add.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. As am I. But unlike you, I would never presume to tell someone on this site that they didn't belong here. It takes nerve to do this when you won't even cough up $10 to help support this site so that you can tell people like me off. I guess the fact that I mentioned donating to this site hit a nerve with you.

chief
05-08-2012, 13:22
You are certainly entitled to your opinion. As am I. But unlike you, I would never presume to tell someone on this site that they didn't belong here. It takes nerve to do this when you won't even cough up $10 to help support this site so that you can tell people like me off. I guess the fact that I mentioned donating to this site hit a nerve with you.
We've been told more than once that all members are equal, regardless of donation status. A few times I've pointed out that some people like to use their "donating memberships" to denigrate non-donators and I've been asked to point to a post where that has occurred. Well here ya go!

As I've said from the start, I'll donate when all indications of members' donation status are forever removed. Otherwise I never will!

If you've got something to say, then say it. You silver membership carries no weight.

TD55
05-08-2012, 13:54
I would never presume to tell someone on this site that they didn't belong here. It takes nerve to do this when you won't even cough up $10 to help support this site so that you can tell people like me off. I guess the fact that I mentioned donating to this site hit a nerve with you.

Think the suggestion is that that you perhaps don't have anything to add to this thread and might want to move on as far as this particular thread goes. As for donations, you don't have any knowledge of who has donated in the past or may donate in the future. Sometimes we all need to listen and not talk so much.

WIAPilot
05-08-2012, 14:13
I'll say it again: I would never presume to tell someone that they don't belong here or that they have no right to post. My point was not that my opinion carried more weight, but that I found it rich that a guy who doesn't even financially support this site was giving the orders. Now I may be voted off the "WB Island" for my opinions on mooching, but it will be by a moderator and not those who disagree with what I have to say.

If you don't like what I have to say (and some people don't) - then don't read my posts.

MrMiner2
05-08-2012, 14:24
No one is saying you don't have a right to post. It was not an order. It's clear you don't support the thread so please don't post anything in this thread. Again, not an order. It just seems logical. I haven't posted since last night and you're still calling me "mrmoocher."

Thanks everyone!

WIAPilot
05-08-2012, 14:33
No one is saying you don't have a right to post. It was not an order. It's clear you don't support the thread so please don't post anything in this thread. Again, not an order. It just seems logical. I haven't posted since last night and you're still calling me "mrmoocher."

Thanks everyone!

Actually, I was not referring to you when I made that statement about orders. And LOL for what it's worth, you are probably getting far more donations because some are ticked at me, than you would have otherwise. Whatever.

turtle fast
05-08-2012, 14:47
So the big question is what gear you have?

Gray Blazer
05-08-2012, 14:48
See what you started MrMiner2? (Just kidding). Hiking is great and you live in a fantastis area where there are even great day hikes to get you warmed up. See ya on the AT.

Odd Man Out
05-08-2012, 15:11
In an effort to demonstrate to teens and college students I work with how inexpensive it can be to put together a backpacking kit I put on a demonstration....The first kit with fancy lightweight gear, down, silnylon, titanium and shiny newer looking stuff totaled out at approximately $1050.00. My dirt-bag cheap alternative with the $5.00 thrift store back pack, $3.00 thrift store sleeping bag, homemade alkie stove and beer can pot, gatorade bottle, homemade hammock and cheap WalMart blue pad and tarp totaled out at $53.00....

Unclemjm-

That's a nice exercise. I don't doubt that that the retail kit is a lot nicer, but that the dirt-bag options were "suitable for backpacking" (words of the OP), although "suitable" is subjective, depending on one's standards. I'm curious if you could give an estimate of the relative weights of the two kits, given that much of what we spend is not to just to get gear that is better, but lighter. I know a lot of people start with cheap and heavy gear and then gradually replace one piece at a time with purchases often evaluated on a $ per oz saved basis. What is your starting weight for the cheap stuff?

And a word to the OP - don't be offended by the cheese comment. That's an on-going joke in WBland. One other hint. PLEAAAASE don't ask about bringing a gun :rolleyes:

Happy Trails:banana

MrMiner2
05-08-2012, 15:58
Haha I actually just laughed at the cheese thing because it was ridiculous haha

Rasty
05-08-2012, 16:06
Haha I actually just laughed at the cheese thing because it was ridiculous haha

Cheese is never ridiculous! Its a very serious topic.

rocketsocks
05-08-2012, 16:21
Cheese is never ridiculous! Its a very serious topic.
That's right,shredded or block,Velveeta or wiz.And each ones relative freshness in relation to the humid conditions found on the At in July,these are all very important with regard to the many variables.:D

MrMiner2
05-08-2012, 16:40
I know all the powers of cheese on the trail. Just made me laugh, even he said he hoped I wasn't offended. I mean I would definitely take a monster box of cheese!

TD55
05-08-2012, 16:51
That's right,shredded or block,Velveeta or wiz.And each ones relative freshness in relation to the humid conditions found on the At in July,:D
Best conditions for packing your cheese into your peanut butter and making peanut butter cheese spread.

unclemjm
05-08-2012, 17:09
Unclemjm-
I'm curious if you could give an estimate of the relative weights of the two kits, given that much of what we spend is not to just to get gear that is better, but lighter. I know a lot of people start with cheap and heavy gear and then gradually replace one piece at a time with purchases often evaluated on a $ per oz saved basis. What is your starting weight for the cheap stuff?

I can ball park it for you but not going to be able to give you exacts. I realize I may be speaking heresy here, but I didn't weigh my gear and although I do like lighter stuff, I don't compromise comfort too much. In short, if I were seriously worried about pack weight, I should first lose the extra 30lbs I'm carrying around my waist. :rolleyes:

Now, having said that...

The more expensive newer gear included a Nimbus Ozone pack, Hennessey Hammock w/tarp, JacksRBetter top and under quilt, and an assortment of other stuff. The last time I took this kit out on a cold weather trip I was at 32lbs including food and fuel, but not water.

The thrift store/cheap skate (and I use that term affectionately since I are one) kit included a Jansport school book bag, an REI down bag circa 1972, a homemade Risk Test hammock, a ccf pad from Wally world, and a bulky blue tarp like one might cover a load in the back of the pick up. The basics that I listed were not so much heavier as bulkier. My guess is this set up may have been about 5-7 lbs over the other.

Full disclosure: I did not find all the parts in one thrift store but in several over many months. The key to me on thrift store shopping is to go often, shop in different towns, (even on vacation), shop during different seasons.

Also

For me it's easier to upgrade as I have funds, find deals, or learn new DIY skills than to start right out with everything I need ready to go.

I was not intending to lecture the OP either but to give some suggestions and hope for a starting point.

rocketsocks
05-08-2012, 17:13
Best conditions for packing your cheese into your peanut butter and making peanut butter cheese spread.
dude i eat like a billy goat,but that there is totally de-custing,but I'll try anything once.Mr miner were gonna try hard to get you out on the trail,and as mentioned earlier,there is some fantastic hiking in your area.Not all of us thru-hike or even sleep out,plenty of good day hikes,till you get your gear worked out.But one thing for sure and the best thing you could have done for yourself is to come here to WB there is a wealth of knowledge here,good luck!

mudhead
05-08-2012, 17:20
I have a Jetboil stove that you can have found it on the trail email me ed_rodriguez52@yahoolcom if you want it

Money is tight. He should use a pop can alcohol stove. Not canisters. My opinion.

Rain Man
05-08-2012, 20:07
And LOL for what it's worth, you are probably getting far more donations because some are ticked at me, than you would have otherwise. Whatever.

Better watch out, Mr. Miner, ... you know what it means when a woman says "whatever"!!!

And like Romney somehow claiming credit for the auto industry rebound after writing "let Detroit go bankrupt," she's somehow taking credit now for you getting donations after gratuitously insinuating how nefarious your intentions are!

Sometimes, ... it's best just to shake your head and laugh. :D

Samson
05-08-2012, 20:29
It never hurts to ask for something. The worst thing that could happen is someone could say no. I need someone to slice cheese and place it on crackers for me while I go down the trail. Please send me your cheese slicing resume so I can consider the best candidate for the job.

Odd Man Out
05-08-2012, 20:35
For me it's easier to upgrade as I have funds, find deals, or learn new DIY skills than to start right out with everything I need ready to go.

I agree. Starting out with basic cheep stuff and upgrading gradually as you get a few $, experience, and opportunity is a great strategy for one starting with no money. Plus if he saves enough on gear he can afford lots of cheese.

Samson
05-08-2012, 20:42
The lighter your gear, the more cheese you can carry.

shelb
05-08-2012, 20:52
Mr Miner, .....you asked respectfully and politely,....

I have searched and searched for backpacking gear at Goodwill and yard sales over the years, with absolutely no luck. ......

Yes, MrMiner has been quite polite, even after being critisized and chastised.

And, up here in West Michigan, my mom visits 6 second hand stores a week looking for stuff for her antique business. She also keeps an eye out for used equipment for our scout troop, but rarely finds anything....

However, there have been some other creative suggestions on here. Our local outfitter rents backpacks at $5/day....

SouthMark
05-08-2012, 21:26
From an article on bpl about putting together the big four for less than a $100 and keep the weight reasonable. This gear will not be long lasting but it will work.

Listed Weight (lb / kg)
Actual Weight (lb / kg)
Price

Backpack
6.4 / 2.9
3.4 / 1.5
$35.00*

Tent
3.4 / 1.5
2.8 / 1.3
$24.00*

Sleeping Bag
3.0 / 1.4
2.6 / 1.2
$9.00

Sleeping Pad
1.0 / 2.2
1.2 / 0.5
$10.00

Total
13.8 / 6.3
10.0 / 4.5
$78.00

*Available online only.

MrMiner2
05-08-2012, 21:32
Cheese!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35hOPD3IxSg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Canyonero
05-08-2012, 21:34
It never hurts to ask for something. The worst thing that could happen is someone could say no. I need someone to slice cheese and place it on crackers for me while I go down the trail. Please send me your cheese slicing resume so I can consider the best candidate for the job.

I don't have a lot of experience slicing cheese, but I have been known to cut the cheese fairly often. Does that translate to what you need? I could always use some extra money!

Rasty
05-08-2012, 21:43

1995 graduate from the Culinary Institute of America. 3.9 gpa. Am I qualified to slice cheese?

Odd Man Out
05-08-2012, 21:51
I don't have a lot of experience slicing cheese, but I have been known to cut the cheese fairly often. Does that translate to what you need? I could always use some extra money!

I was just thinking about how you would package and ship the cheese you cut. Nuts, now I won't be able to sleep tonight!

Rasty
05-08-2012, 22:16

I was just thinking about how you would package and ship the cheese you cut. Nuts, now I won't be able to sleep tonight!

Vacuum sealer!

Canyonero
05-08-2012, 22:34
MrMiner,

Another thing you could do is just talk to people you know about backpacking and maybe they have some unused/underused gear they can let you borrow. I was talking about my broken hammock with someone in my church group and he offered to let me borrow his 1-man tent until I figured out what I wanted to buy as a replacement. I never expected that but it was a quite a nice surprise!

Good luck! As a student myself I understand that gear can be expensive but it's been good to see (through this thread) that there are people willing to help you out!

rocketsocks
05-08-2012, 23:25
Vacuum sealer!
Thats a great idea,I could use my snake bit kit "The Extractor" to vacuum out the air on the cheese bag,thanks Rastraikis,good job! http://www.rei.com/products407144/sawyer-extrac;)

Pixelgator
05-09-2012, 07:11
I am a big time thrift store shopper and have never seen any backpacking kit in any of my local stores. I have never seen any at yard sales either. What you want is the REI scratch/dent/yard sales. That is where the good stuff is at.
+ 1 RE: thrift store. I did get some stuff at a yard sale once.

Veetack
05-09-2012, 16:12
Miner, I was a UT student and I live in Knoxville. I can help you hunt down some pretty good deals on your stuff. Not free, but reasonable.

05-11-2012, 23:47
Also, I have been checking craigslist, etc. and emailing everyone about the gear they have if it is the ad. Been a while now and haven't had any luck with actual gear suitable for backpacking.

I don't mean to add even more criticism here, but I am in the same shoes. I am trying to get the gear I need for a SOBO, with a very small budget. It's possible to get high quality gear when you pinch your pennies, I have a change jar that I dump into a Coinstar machine every 4 or 5 months to get my gear. If I can do it, I'm certain that any other college student can as well, just don't be in such a big rush to get great gear, because no one is going to send you the type of gear that I feel you want. If you want to mooch gear, just be prepared for 8lbs packs and everything else you'll ditch after 20 miles.

Just my .02 obviously, but I have been eating ramen and $1 menu sandwiches for 8 months preparing for a thru in 2013. Be frugal for a few months and THEN come back and ask for freebies. I'm not attempting to be rude or pee on your hike, so take my words with a few grains of salt.

Check out these two (where I get/got most of my high quality gear really cheap):

Geartrade.com
theclymb.com

MrMiner2
05-12-2012, 01:01
Thanks for the advice. That's dedication! Are you pretty healthy? Ramen has zero nutritional value. Haha I couldn't do that.

TrailManny
05-12-2012, 08:02
Do a search for the $300 dollar backpacking challenge. PMags and SGT Rock have some good stuff about inexpensive backpacking gear. Poly-tarps, homemade alcohol stoves, K-Mart grease pots, Walmart blue pads, and Gator-aide bottles are all cheap alternatives. I've found Dri-Ducks rain gear to be an excellent cheap/light alternative to expensive gore-tex fabrics. Fleece insulating layers are dirt cheap. Walmart has some great clothing options, but you'll probably find much of what you need in your closet already. Be creative, the most important piece of gear is your mind!

Use your money to buy a quality sleeping bag! Take pride in you cheap gear. I often think fondly of the dented kitchen pot (san handle) that I used over thousands of miles of bike touring.

All the best,

TrailManny
aka: TrainManny

TrailManny
05-12-2012, 08:10
Collect deposit bottles. My son and I have saved over $750 dollars over the last year and a half for his Eagle Scout project. I'll bet most folks are just throwing them away at your school. (they are where I teach!) Folks think I'm cheap, yeah, so what! You could get some great stuff with that amount of money!

Cheers,

TrailManny

WIAPilot
05-12-2012, 08:38
Collect deposit bottles. My son and I have saved over $750 dollars over the last year and a half for his Eagle Scout project. I'll bet most folks are just throwing them away at your school. (they are where I teach!) Folks think I'm cheap, yeah, so what! You could get some great stuff with that amount of money!

Cheers,

TrailManny

3030: I am in awe of young guys like you. You will make it to Springer Mt because you are sacrificing so much now. Have you thought to ask your elderly neighbors, friends, buddies about saving their cans or bottles as well? So many people don't want to hassle with turning them in, but would love to support you in this manner. When the time comes, if you faithfully stay active on this site, I'd be willing to help sponsor you. You are going to need cold, hard cash when the time arrives. And more of it than you think! Because with you - I see this as a hand up - NOT a handout. BIG difference in my opinion. I would rethink the ramen. You will be eating enough of it on the trail!! :)

And TrailManny: EXCELLENT suggestions!

05-12-2012, 16:22
3030: I am in awe of young guys like you. You will make it to Springer Mt because you are sacrificing so much now. Have you thought to ask your elderly neighbors, friends, buddies about saving their cans or bottles as well? So many people don't want to hassle with turning them in, but would love to support you in this manner. When the time comes, if you faithfully stay active on this site, I'd be willing to help sponsor you. You are going to need cold, hard cash when the time arrives. And more of it than you think! Because with you - I see this as a hand up - NOT a handout. BIG difference in my opinion. I would rethink the ramen. You will be eating enough of it on the trail!! :)

And TrailManny: EXCELLENT suggestions!

I have been taking aluminum cans and siding to my local metal scrap (I work as maintenance part time and they just throw it out) for a few months now. I don't want to sound like a complete noobie here, but I still don't understand the sponsoring thing.

I would love to give up ramen, but the price is far too good! I will admit that today I got a large combo meal from Arby's, but that's probably my caloric intake for 2 or 3 days :rolleyes:

WIAPilot
05-12-2012, 18:28
Send me a PM and I'll explain....

MrMiner2
05-12-2012, 19:24
Pilot is just trying to mad me mad 3030. Beat of luck to you though!

MrMiner2
05-12-2012, 21:31
Kidding by the way :)

Old Hiker
05-12-2012, 22:46
2 more ideas:

a. Freecycle.org - check out the web site for the explanation
b. Free ads in the free weekly papers - explain in 50 words or less what you need - maybe one piece of gear at a time instead of the shotgun approach.