PDA

View Full Version : Best Trail Magic

WIAPilot
05-08-2012, 10:29
I think that "Trail Magic" is so amazing. What is the best trail magic that you have ever received?

Lone Wolf
05-08-2012, 10:31
define "trail magic"

Cookerhiker
05-08-2012, 10:35
1. On the AT, starting a long, arduous section hike from Gorham to Katahdin, I lost the tip of my trekking pole on the first day - got stuck in the muck. Like a needle in a haystack, but a young NOBO thruhiker coming by after me happened to spot it and carried it along until he caught up with me. "Is this your's?" That really made my day!

2. Last year on the Colorado Trail, facing an 8 mile walk down a 4WD road, a vacationing family took an interest in us and out of their way, gave us a ride all the way to town. That was one of numerous instances of Trail Magic we received in Colorado.

Llama Legs
05-08-2012, 10:39
Delicious 1/2 pound cheeseburgers under a dining fly from "Grits" during a rain storm...

flemdawg1
05-08-2012, 10:43
define "trail magic"

I would say a lucky coincidence, such as you are out of water and the only spring for 10 miles is dry. then a 1/2 mile later there's a cooler with water and sodas.

Mine would be last Feb I hiked Harper's Ferry to Waynesboro, PA and found 2 mismatched gloves on the trail. A definate help after my fleece ones got wet in sub-freezing temps.

yellowsirocco
05-08-2012, 10:43
I came off Unaka mtn. after getting drenched by a storm. At the gap there was a couple of hillbillies who had been camping just to get away from their annoying wives. They had a fire that had been going for days and was very hot. They also had some hamburgers with juicy tomatoes and mayo. They offered beer as well. I ate my burger and dried off and we had a grand time listening to this guy drunkenly tell us his life story.

English Stu
05-08-2012, 10:49
It was Halloween in Tennessee when there was a small note on a tree inviting people 400 yds up a road for salad, apple pie and ice cream. Fantastic.

WIAPilot
05-08-2012, 10:57
I hate that I live 1,800 from the AT. If I lived in Damascus, I would totally get off on doing Trail Magic. Like a little elf leaving presents. To me, the best Trail Magic would be icy cold Diet Dr. Pepper waiting in a stream! Since I live so far, next year when I hike, I'll try to do the little Elf thing myself.

max patch
05-08-2012, 11:10
Shame that so many people equate trail feeds with trail magic.

jakedatc
05-08-2012, 11:41

yep, way over used in the wrong situation.

please don't leave cans in streams. that is littering and there is only a slim chance someone will actually find it and not think it is trash.

WIAPilot
05-08-2012, 11:54
It's my understanding that items like this are marked pretty well.

flemdawg1
05-08-2012, 11:54
Another instance of Trail Majic, the hitch that I used the day before to get to the convenince store at Jarrard Gap found my cell phone on his back seat. They were kind enough to take it up the trail to Neels Gap for me to pick up.

Lone Wolf
05-08-2012, 12:01
I hate that I live 1,800 from the AT. If I lived in Damascus, I would totally get off on doing Trail Magic. Like a little elf leaving presents. To me, the best Trail Magic would be icy cold Diet Dr. Pepper waiting in a stream!

hikers don't need to be fed or cared for. they're on vacation, have money and are self-sufficient.

Moose2001
05-08-2012, 12:04

Agreed! I'll honestly say I've had many instances where I've enjoyed cold beverages or food left or provided by others. Nothing hits the spot like a cold beverage on a steaming hot day! For me, however, the magic on the trail are those occassions where someone goes out of their way to meet you, get to know you, offer help, or do something out of the ordinary for you. I've often told others that if you begin to doubt the basic goodness of people, go for a long hike. Those acts of kindness and goodness should be what trail magic is.

fredmugs
05-08-2012, 12:09
I was hiking in VA during a severe drought (2007 or 2008). I had a really bad case of heat exhaustion and I was forcing myself to eat and it was less than 1,000 calories a day. I knew I had to get off the trail and when I got to the James River the first vehicle coming down the road was an RV. I stuck out my thumb and the guy stopped and gave me a ride to my car in Daleville. Trail magic or trail karma from rescuing 2 hikers a few days before near The Priest.

Slo-go'en
05-08-2012, 12:31
Recieving random acts of kindness from total strangers is the best trail magic, but happening to find an organised hiker feed is always fun.

Best hiker feed:

Last year, Scribbles and I had just done one of the hardest streaches on the AT - Full Goose shelter to Grafton Notch - and found some guys cooking Hamburgers and LIVE LOBSTERS and corn on the cob at the notch parking lot! That's the first time I've had Lobsters for trail magic!

Best random act of kindness:

I once had a day hiker give me the keys to his car so I could go to town for supplies while he went on his hike.

jakedatc
05-08-2012, 12:55
hikers don't need to be fed or cared for. they're on vacation, have money and are self-sufficient.

+1 you don't carry 5 days of food if you are going to get fed 2 out of those days. if you carry 3 days of food for 5 days expecting that 2 days of food will appear and it doesn't then you're screwed.

planned food stops is not magic. if you want a cheap buffet go to Vegas

Bati
05-08-2012, 12:56
The best magic was a ride in from Neel's Gap to a town with a working payphone so that I could call home and let them know I was alive and had survived a huge snowstorm. Plus a bonus trip to McDonalds for a quick meal, and to the grocery store for dinner fixings. And then, the driver took another trip, so that my partner could also call home (I had just left a message on the answering machine) and everyone else there could grab food.

Trail magic only really happens when you are in need. When times are good, it's not trail magic, it might just be a hiker feed or it it might be trash left for the bears.

Cookerhiker
05-08-2012, 14:16

Yup - that's why I offered the following reply to TJ/Teej's article re trail slang:

"Trail Magic - trying to get away from regarding organized hiker feeds as one-and-the-same with Trail Magic, I've come up with the following: When good things happen to hikers, usually spontaneous and unexpected. It might be a ride offer from a passing stranger, free food courtesy of tourists, having a lost piece of gear found by a fellow hiker, or any other acts of serendipity. "

wookinpanub
05-08-2012, 14:45
Some might call this "Yogi-ing" but it was magic to me:
On a southbund thru many years ago I was on the AT in PenMar Park. As I was passing through I could see a large gathering of people in one of the pavilions and more food than you could imagine. The smell of barbq and burgers was intoxicating and, of course, I was starving. I was in the restroom washing up and getting water and dreaming of how I could get invited to partake of some of that food. When one of the party members (it was a family reunion) came in to use the restroom, I told him that I was running low on food and asked if I could purchase some bread from them. I have no idea where those words came from and I remember being surprised that I blurted it out. He insisted that they had more food than they could ever eat and that I had to have some. I ended up gorging myself and answering their many questions about the AT. They sent me on my way with a bag full of goodies. Looking back, maybe I should feel a little embarassment, but I remember leaving very thankful and feeling as if I had provided them some entertainment. I felt like it was a win-win.
Also, I was able to go to church 3 times during my thru-hike and each time the church was having some special event with food. That, my friends, is Divine intervention.

Mountain Mike
05-08-2012, 14:46
While on PCT my resupply person mailed my replacement boots to Crater Lake. Only problem was that was where I called from to get them shipped to my next resup. As I was talking with my hiking partner trying to figure out what to do one of the summer residents of the canmpground overheard. He said once he was finished with his morning fishing he would drive me there to pick them up. This included a stop at his breakfast hangout, then he wouldn't even take money for gas. That night he came over to our campsite with some foil & fresh trout for us to cook!

WIAPilot
05-08-2012, 14:50
Some might call this "Yogi-ing" but it was magic to me:
On a southbund thru many years ago I was on the AT in PenMar Park. As I was passing through I could see a large gathering of people in one of the pavilions and more food than you could imagine. The smell of barbq and burgers was intoxicating and, of course, I was starving. I was in the restroom washing up and getting water and dreaming of how I could get invited to partake of some of that food. When one of the party members (it was a family reunion) came in to use the restroom, I told him that I was running low on food and asked if I could purchase some bread from them. I have no idea where those words came from and I remember being surprised that I blurted it out. He insisted that they had more food than they could ever eat and that I had to have some. I ended up gorging myself and answering their many questions about the AT. They sent me on my way with a bag full of goodies. Looking back, maybe I should feel a little embarassment, but I remember leaving very thankful and feeling as if I had provided them some entertainment. I felt like it was a win-win.
Also, I was able to go to church 3 times during my thru-hike and each time the church was having some special event with food. That, my friends, is Divine intervention.

I loved this story. LOL. Is Yogi-ing when you ask for food? You know, if I had smelled that food, I probably would have done the same thing! My new trail name would have been Boo-Boo!

flemdawg1
05-08-2012, 14:56
I loved this story. LOL. Is Yogi-ing when you ask for food? You know, if I had smelled that food, I probably would have done the same thing! My new trail name would have been Boo-Boo!

Nope, if you ask its called begging.

Pedaling Fool
05-08-2012, 14:59
Yogging has nothing to do with asking for food. It's all about reducing the food weight of over-burden weekenders. There's a fine line between yogging and begging, but there is a difference.

Feral Bill
05-08-2012, 16:05
hikers don't need to be fed or cared for. they're on vacation, have money and are self-sufficient. Well, they should be.

rickb
05-08-2012, 16:23

The Place provides a bed for them. Why?

Certainly there are people with greater need.

rjjones
05-08-2012, 20:17
Wow,all news to me.Last year i loaded my backpack with frozen bottles of water and frozen snickers bars,carried them up the trail and handed them out to the thru hikers{made a day hike of it}.Late june in Pa,pretty hot.The hikers seemed to really like it.I thought it was some trail magic but i guess i was just being nice?

WIAPilot
05-08-2012, 21:36
Wow,all news to me.Last year i loaded my backpack with frozen bottles of water and frozen snickers bars,carried them up the trail and handed them out to the thru hikers{made a day hike of it}.Late june in Pa,pretty hot.The hikers seemed to really like it.I thought it was some trail magic but i guess i was just being nice?

That was incredibly nice of you. And for the record, most of the definitions I can find on "Trail Magic" refer to it as,
" A random act of kindness uniquely provided to long distance hikers (mostly on the AT) whereby an individual delivers a good deed to a hiker in need, most commonly in the form of food, beverage, and/or transportation." Thank you for what you do!

Lone Wolf
05-08-2012, 21:47
yup. very nice thing to do but nobody was in danger of dying. bein' hot, thirsty, hungry and wet is part of walkin' long distance. they all got cell phones to call for help if'n they get in real trouble like for a blister or somethin'

WIAPilot
05-08-2012, 21:51
yup. very nice thing to do but nobody was in danger of dying. bein' hot, thirsty, hungry and wet is part of walkin' long distance. they all got cell phones to call for help if'n they get in real trouble like for a blister or somethin'

And don't tell me: You walked to school for 10 miles in the snow each day...

Lone Wolf
05-08-2012, 21:51
That was incredibly most of the definitions I can find on "Trail Magic" refer to it as,
[I]" A random act of kindness uniquely provided to long distance hikers (mostly on the AT) whereby an individual delivers a good deed to a hiker in need, most commonly in the form of food, beverage, and/or transportation."
nope. back in the day "trail magic" was given by folks that didn't know the AT existed and just happened to be at a crossing or town and offered you something

Lone Wolf
05-08-2012, 21:54
And don't tell me: You walked to school for 10 miles in the snow each day...

no but i never suffered on the AT back when there were no feeds, cell phones, shuttle services, internet, etc. walkin' the AT today is really easy

ScottP
05-08-2012, 21:55
Saw a thru-hiker helping an old lady rake her yard once--right where the trail crossed a residential neighborhood up in New England. Good trail magic.

Water when you're is fantastic.

rickb
05-08-2012, 22:15
nope. back in the day "trail magic" was given by folks that didn't know the AT existed and just happened to be at a crossing or town and offered you something

That was the random part. And in those few cases where t was more "established" it flowed from a natural connection-- like the trail passing directly in front of a Trrail angel's home.

When you have grown men traveling hundred of miles to meet hikers up and down the trail at road crossings with the express purpose of dispensing "magic" from the back of thier pickup you got to wonder. Not saying those who do this are not good people but geesh.

WIAPilot
05-08-2012, 22:25
Well there go my Diet Dr. Peppers waiting in some stream for me...

actionpocket
05-08-2012, 22:35
Ha, yes that is a bit suspect. On a similar note, I was invited to a weenie roast on a recent hike. Good thing too, I was actually low on food.

kayak karl
05-08-2012, 22:41
Tennessee Viking left me water (really needed it too) and cheddar cheese crackers on trail. mountain squid met me at a road crossing and gave me some snacks. a lady gave me an orange.
it wasn't the food, but the time they spent talking and shooting the breeze with me that i remember.:sun

rickb
05-08-2012, 23:06
By the time I hiked the trail in 1983, the Ice-cream Lady was famous. Bonnie Shipe and her family lived in the middle of the Cumberland Valley road walk. That road walk was by far the longest on the AT at the time and extended about 20 miles. Anyway, her house was somewhere in the middle of it and every hiker knew for weeks and month in advance that if you stopped at her house you would be given an ice-cream cone. This was significant.
That said, I wasn't going to stop as my schedule had me walking by her house around dinner time and I remember telling myself that it would be uncool to knock on anyone's door and impose at that hour. Oh well.
But well before I passed her house, her husband Steve drove by spoke to me out out the window of his car. He assured me that Bonnie would be very disappointed if I didn't stop. He meant it, and drove off. I couldn't not stop. When I got to their house, the welcome was warm and genuine. To be honest, I really needed that. As a late starting southbounder I had never met up with anyone going in my direction, and was a bit disconnected as a result.
Bonnie and Steve invited me to a Ponderosa with thier kids for that dinner I wasn't going to interrupt. It was wonderful. Not talking about the food. I don't remember the food. Afterwards I was invited to sleep in their finished basement in front of the wood stove.
That was magic. Everything about it was magic. How it unfolded that day and when I came during my hike. Magic.
I met my wife on the AT on a weekend hike about 22years ago. That was magic too, but in a differnt way. Funny thing was, one thing that got me back to the AT was that I really wanted to meet some thru hikers on the AT-- I had not been back to the Trail for about 7 years at that time. I did find a couple right at the trail head on my way in, and I was proud of myself for packing a bunch of Suaalito cookies for them. Big deal.
They got a snack, but not much more. Certainly not magic as I define it -- largely because in truth my "generosity" was more about/for me than for the hikers I met.
I know there is real magic on the Trail, and I hope everyone finds it.

Mountain Mike
05-08-2012, 23:09

So if you were "Just Walking" and somebody that didn't know about the AT gave you water or food it was OK. But because people know more these days due to the net & want to do something nice to AT backpackers it's no longer magic?

Lone Wolf
05-08-2012, 23:20
So if you were "Just Walking" and somebody that didn't know about the AT gave you water or food it was OK. But because people know more these days due to the net & want to do something nice to AT backpackers it's no longer magic?

it ain't magic either way. what's your point?

WIAPilot
05-09-2012, 00:15
it ain't magic either way. what's your point?

I guess you don't believe in gifts on birthdays either, do you? And I thought I was cynical...

Lone Wolf
05-09-2012, 00:18
I guess you don't believe in gifts on birthdays either, do you? And I thought I was cynical...

i'm a realist. AT walkers are on a vacation. they're not in need. neither are folks that have a birthday. what's your point?

WIAPilot
05-09-2012, 00:56
i'm a realist. AT walkers are on a vacation. they're not in need. neither are folks that have a birthday. what's your point?

I am renaming you: You are officially "Mr. A.T. Scrooge" to me from now on. There is no way that you are 53. You have to be a dried-up 83. :-?

jakedatc
05-09-2012, 01:02

what you're not getting is that trail magic should be random, unexpected and needed. some guy having a bbq for everyone who walks through is not random or needed. a guy who happens to come along and grab your water bottle that you left on a rock and chases you down to give it back.. that is magic.

reading a bunch of journals it seems people are expecting feed stations and other stuff like that. and if you start to plan for it how is that magic?

WIAPilot
05-09-2012, 01:16
what you're not getting is that trail magic should be random, unexpected and needed. some guy having a bbq for everyone who walks through is not random or needed. a guy who happens to come along and grab your water bottle that you left on a rock and chases you down to give it back.. that is magic.

reading a bunch of journals it seems people are expecting feed stations and other stuff like that. and if you start to plan for it how is that magic?

I'm not expecting trail magic and I hope that I'll never be in a position where I need trail magic except for maybe a ride into town or two. I just think that it is incredibly sweet and really appreciated! That ordinary people who are probably not very rich themselves would be so kind as to do so much for so many others.

Lone Wolf
05-09-2012, 01:23
I am renaming you: You are officially "Mr. A.T. Scrooge" to me from now on. There is no way that you are 53. You have to be a dried-up 83. :-?

you got lots to learn

rocketsocks
05-09-2012, 01:23
I'm not expecting trail magic and I hope that I'll never be in a position where I need trail magic except for maybe a ride into town or two. I just think that it is incredibly sweet and really appreciated! That ordinary people who are probably not very rich themselves would be so kind as to do so much for so many others.
Always do for others,and let others do for you~Bob Dylan

Truly one of lifes little secrets,but then so is allowing someone to experience life on lifes terms,there is a difference.

Trippinbilly33
05-09-2012, 01:29
My son, dog and I were just starting to get into hiking and we didn't know how blazes worked, Long story short we waked about ten miles off course on the wrong trail. Lost, hungry, muddy and tired we tried to flag down a car to see where we were exactly but noone would stop. Suddenly a brand new BMW pulls over and asks if we need help. I would have been happy with an idea of location but the BMW guy insisted we get in and he would drive us to the main road so we all hop in his brand new leather seated beemer muddy dog and all. He dropped us back at my car which was 20+ miles by road and refused any money for gas. He just told me to pay it foward and drove away!

Miami Joe
05-09-2012, 04:26

Define "realist."

rickb
05-09-2012, 06:06

I don't know Lone Wolf in real life, but I have absolutely no doubt he has helped out a great many people over the years. Thru hikers included.

I am also certain that he doesn't want testimonials or people keeping score.

Lone Wolf is in a very different catagory than the former thru hiker who gets a thrill running up his leg handing out goodies from the trunk of his car, or the well intenitioned person who feels that leaving a cooler of drink on the trail is a noble act.

A scrooge? Hardly.

I'd give him a medal simply for suffering the fools who recognize him insist on buying him a beer and make him listen to thier stories.

That's got to suck.

:)

perrymk
05-09-2012, 06:21
"when you put something in a Buddhist monk's begging bowl, it is traditional to say thank you to the monk, for the opportunity to give"
For me trail magic may be the opportunity to give when I am able.

My trail magic story, Christmas 2011.

So I was hiking my traditional Christmas hike, a 7.8 mile loop in the Apalachicola National Forest which includes a portion of the Florida Trail along with another side trail to make the loop. About 2 or 3 miles in I spot a camera along the trail, this being a section of the Florida Trail. A nice one too. Olympus, weatherproof, etc. I pick it up and continue on. I meet only one person along the trail and he hadn’t lost a camera. When I get to my car I turn it on a look at the photos, hoping to get a clue as to whose camera it is. The screen comes on in Russian. Hmmm. From the nature of some of the photos I suspect the owner might actually be Russian. Maybe I should point out I visited Russia a couple of months prior and noticed a couple of things about the way Russians like to take their personal photos.

I start to drive back home, near Tallahassee, thinking about putting a lost-and-found ad in the paper when I decide to drive to where I know another trailhead is. For those who don’t know the Florida Trail covers the entire state. Now I have no way of knowing which way the camera’s owner was hiking or how long the camera had been there. It could have been 2 or 3 days already. I could be heading the wrong way entirely, but I take this chance. It’s about 15 miles to drive, maybe 8 or so to hike. As I approach where the trail crosses the road I see two young men sitting on the side of the road. They look similar to the guys in some of the photos. I pull over and ask them if they lost a camera. They said yes. I ask them to describe it. By their accents I could tell they were Russian.

It seems they are from Siberia and now living and working as painters in Panama City, Florida, about 2 or 3 hours away by car. They would never have seen an ad in the Tallahassee paper. In fact, they had lost the camera the day prior, had looked for it and decided it was lost. I ended up giving them a ride into town to get supplies at a convenience store that was open Christmas Day and then drive them back to where I found them, not too far from their campsite.

The End

Rocket Jones
05-09-2012, 06:30
Now *that* is trail magic. Way to go Perry!

WIAPilot
05-09-2012, 06:40
Wonderful Story, Perry. Thanks for sharing it.

Cookerhiker
05-09-2012, 06:56
That was incredibly nice of you. And for the record, most of the definitions I can find on "Trail Magic" refer to it as,
" A random act of kindness uniquely provided to long distance hikers (mostly on the AT) whereby an individual delivers a good deed to a hiker in need, most commonly in the form of food, beverage, and/or transportation." Thank you for what you do!

Disagree - Far too narrow. As I said earlier, there's much more to Trail Magic than food & rides.

"when you put something in a Buddhist monk's begging bowl, it is traditional to say thank you to the monk, for the opportunity to give"
For me trail magic may be the opportunity to give when I am able.

My trail magic story, Christmas 2011.

So I was hiking my traditional Christmas hike, a 7.8 mile loop in the Apalachicola National Forest which includes a portion of the Florida Trail along with another side trail to make the loop. About 2 or 3 miles in I spot a camera along the trail, this being a section of the Florida Trail. A nice one too. Olympus, weatherproof, etc. I pick it up and continue on. I meet only one person along the trail and he hadn’t lost a camera. When I get to my car I turn it on a look at the photos, hoping to get a clue as to whose camera it is. The screen comes on in Russian. Hmmm. From the nature of some of the photos I suspect the owner might actually be Russian. Maybe I should point out I visited Russia a couple of months prior and noticed a couple of things about the way Russians like to take their personal photos.

I start to drive back home, near Tallahassee, thinking about putting a lost-and-found ad in the paper when I decide to drive to where I know another trailhead is. For those who don’t know the Florida Trail covers the entire state. Now I have no way of knowing which way the camera’s owner was hiking or how long the camera had been there. It could have been 2 or 3 days already. I could be heading the wrong way entirely, but I take this chance. It’s about 15 miles to drive, maybe 8 or so to hike. As I approach where the trail crosses the road I see two young men sitting on the side of the road. They look similar to the guys in some of the photos. I pull over and ask them if they lost a camera. They said yes. I ask them to describe it. By their accents I could tell they were Russian.

It seems they are from Siberia and now living and working as painters in Panama City, Florida, about 2 or 3 hours away by car. They would never have seen an ad in the Tallahassee paper. In fact, they had lost the camera the day prior, had looked for it and decided it was lost. I ended up giving them a ride into town to get supplies at a convenience store that was open Christmas Day and then drive them back to where I found them, not too far from their campsite.

The End

Such as this.

And BTW, I also received Trail Magic in 1980 when a lost camera was returned to me solely based on a lost-and-found notice in the Appalachia Trailway News.

WIAPilot
05-09-2012, 06:58
I don't know Lone Wolf in real life, but I have absolutely no doubt he has helped out a great many people over the years. Thru hikers included.

I am also certain that he doesn't want testimonials or people keeping score.

Lone Wolf is in a very different catagory than the former thru hiker who gets a thrill running up his leg handing out goodies from the trunk of his car, or the well intenitioned person who feels that leaving a cooler of drink on the trail is a noble act.

A scrooge? Hardly.

I'd give him a medal simply for suffering the fools who recognize him insist on buying him a beer and make him listen to thier stories.

That's got to suck.

:)

So he's jaded on Trail Magic. Big deal. Why throw water on those of us who think this is a wonderful act of human kindness?

(And trust me, he will never have to worry about me buying him a beer and making him listen to my stories.)

WIAPilot
05-09-2012, 07:03
So then basically many of you define "trail magic" as possessing an element of serendipity, as well?

Cookerhiker
05-09-2012, 07:05
So then basically many of you define "trail magic" as possessing an element of serendipity, as well?

That's what make it "magical" isn't it?

lemon b
05-09-2012, 07:10
A Red Squirrel eating out of my hand in Vermont.
I hung out my thumb on that roadwalk in Pa. To me road walks aren't the trail, they are places where we have work to do.

WIAPilot
05-09-2012, 07:52
That's what make it "magical" isn't it?

Very, very cool!

rocketsocks
05-09-2012, 08:23
When we inject ourselves on someone,we should first be asking ourselves,are we truly doing this for them,or ourselves,the difference is so subtle.We all give to get,but if were honest with our selves,then one can't always say this is truly an unselfish act,nothing wrong with that,but at times,it can almost have an opposite effect,an ruin a perfectly good in the moment hike where serenity rules.just my 2 cents,still digesting it myself.:sun

Lone Wolf
05-09-2012, 08:26
Define "realist."

me........

Lone Wolf
05-09-2012, 08:31
So he's jaded on Trail Magic. Big deal. Why throw water on those of us who think this is a wonderful act of human kindness?

(And trust me, he will never have to worry about me buying him a beer and making him listen to my stories.)
feeding a person that has a pack full of food and is on vacation is hardly "a wonderful act of human kindness"

WIAPilot
05-09-2012, 08:44
Rocket: My own opinion is that there are many people in the world who neither expect nor want anything in return for their acts of unselfish kindness. Many don't even want a thank you. They may wish to perform an act of kindness simply because they believe this is how they should live their life. Probably they do feel good about doing these acts, but hey - nothing wrong with that in my opinion.

Are there people out there who have a quid pro quo agenda? Definitely. But that's kind of their problem.

And perhaps trail magic isn't always opportune; perhaps a hiker needs to put in some serious miles. In most cases from what I've heard, trail magic doesn't take a heck of a lot of time (maybe 5-10 min) unless it is a big spread of food. I would think that in situations like that, a simple, "Gosh, this is incredibly nice of you, but a friend is waiting for me up ahead. Can I take this biscuit with me? Thank you so much for doing this!" and then moving on.

WingedMonkey
05-09-2012, 08:51
There was a time when a "Trail Angel" was named so by word of mouth from acts of kindness. Now "Trail Angels" are self appointed and self labeled. It ain't the same.

Lone Wolf
05-09-2012, 09:00
i'm so thankful i got to walk the trail "back in the day" before cell phones, shuttle services, hiker feeds, internet, etc., etc. real trail magic was rare and greatly appreciated. now it's expected and they feel entitled to it.

lemon b
05-09-2012, 09:04
Not to mention the crowds.

Hows that song go? "I ain't asking nobody for nothing if i can't get it on my own. If you don't like my way of living. ya just leave this old country boy alone"

rocketsocks
05-09-2012, 09:13
The term "Trail Magic" seems to have been used loosely.If your going out to hand out food,ok,but thats what it is,handing out food.No big deal,your out for an afternoon handing out food and sharing some time on the trail with some hiker friends/strangers,cool,but call it what it is,a hand out.But that in my opinion is not the trail magic,and true trail magic stories have been told here many times.Sometimes the the difference is again so subtle.but there is a difference.And when you hear a story of true "Trail Magic",theres no denying it.To continue to use the term loosley,kinda takes the magic out of "Trail Magic".Post Script;if you hand me an ice cream on a hot day or any day,I'm gonna eat it.:p:)

Samson
05-09-2012, 09:14
Being out there in the quiet with no phone, no internet, not having to mow the lawn, not waiting on hold for some sort of customer service, not having to see all of the other blank stares from other people sitting in traffic...... For me, that is the trail magic

Lone Wolf
05-09-2012, 09:16
me and some buds were denied "trail magic" one time cuz we weren't "thru-hiking". i've seen coolers left at roads labeled "thru-hikers only

max patch
05-09-2012, 09:22
WF used to say that trail feeds were for the benefit of the giver, not the recipient. Lot of truth to that.

rocketsocks
05-09-2012, 09:22
Where is the love?

jakedatc
05-09-2012, 10:17
A Red Squirrel eating out of my hand in Vermont.
I hung out my thumb on that roadwalk in Pa. To me road walks aren't the trail, they are places where we have work to do.

:sigh: everyone thanks you for the squirrel that will now chew through your pack to get the one peanut that fell out of their trailmix bag.

"come on man!"

max patch
05-09-2012, 10:40

If you are referring to the old Cumberland Valley 20 mile road walk you missed a unique trail experience.

Lone Wolf
05-09-2012, 10:43
If you are referring to the old Cumberland Valley 20 mile road walk you missed a unique trail experience.

one of my favorite stretches of trail

rocketsocks
05-09-2012, 10:50
Not to mention the crowds.

Hows that song go? "I ain't asking nobody for nothing if i can't get it on my own. If you don't like my way of living. ya just leave this old country boy alone"
Ah yes CDB,he's on my ipod,awesome music!

earlyriser26
05-09-2012, 10:57
After our shuttle failed to arrive on a cold rainy night on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere, the one car we saw in two hours picked us up and took us to his house. We used his phone and got out of a bad sittuation. As I told my hiking partner at the time "the good news is we are not going to die, but we may have to walk 15 miles just to get to a paved road". This did not lift his spirts, but the trail majic sure did.

atmilkman
05-09-2012, 12:22
When we inject ourselves on someone,we should first be asking ourselves,are we truly doing this for them,or ourselves,the difference is so subtle.We all give to get,but if were honest with our selves,then one can't always say this is truly an unselfish act,nothing wrong with that,but at times,it can almost have an opposite effect,an ruin a perfectly good in the moment hike where serenity rules.just my 2 cents,still digesting it myself.:sun
How long do you think it wiil be when one day you're hiking in the "moment" and you come around the bend and say Oh God, not ANOTHER feed. You say to your buddy, wasn't that last one just what, maybe 3 miles ago. I don't think it's not that far in the future. Maybe next year. Maybe somebody has already said it this year. Maybe they'll have to start coordinating with each other as to when and where they will be so as to not create overkill or in this case "overfeed". Maybe even put a schedule in the guides complete with menu. Would add a new twist to figuring out resupplies and food drops and even eliminate quite a few. Could even possibly lighten the pack weight in general. Some might even say this is a win, win situation.

Gray Blazer
05-09-2012, 12:57
WF used to say that trail feeds were for the benefit of the giver, not the recipient. Lot of truth to that.

Everybody wants to get in on the act. A coupla weeks ago there was a huge set up at Unicoi Gap, Indian Grave Gap AND Tray Gap. That's 3 huge feeds within about 6 miles.

I did a feed in '06 and I at least humped everything a few miles from the nearest gap. Had the time of my life for four days. I agree that it's dumb to have a party in the woods and say it's for thrubees only.

lemon b
05-09-2012, 13:09
We're in their house jakedatc. So it's their rules.

jakedatc
05-09-2012, 13:35
We're in their house jakedatc. So it's their rules.

Yea, Feeding wild animals is totally natural. :rolleyes:

jakedatc
05-09-2012, 13:37
perhaps you need a refresher course in LNT

"6. Respect Wildlife
Bring binoculars and observe wildlife from a distance. Feeding animals damages their health, alters natural behaviors and exposes them to predators, do not feed wildlife. Protect wildlife and your food by storing food securely. If you must bring a pet, keep it leashed. Consider leaving your pet at home."

http://www.greenmountainclub.org/page.php?id=57

max patch
05-09-2012, 13:50
Everybody wants to get in on the act. A coupla weeks ago there was a huge set up at Unicoi Gap, Indian Grave Gap AND Tray Gap. That's 3 huge feeds within about 6 miles.

Last spring I saw feeds at Woody Gap, Jarrad Gap, and Neels Gap on the same day. Thats 3 in about 10 miles.

max patch
05-09-2012, 13:53
This site has a reputation among newbies who come here as being unfriendly. Jumping all over someone for feeding a squirrell certainly validates that viewpoint.

Gray Blazer
05-09-2012, 13:59
Last spring I saw feeds at Woody Gap, Jarrad Gap, and Neels Gap on the same day. Thats 3 in about 10 miles.

I checked the mileage chart and it's only 4.4 miles between Unicoi and Tray. I'll bet those hikers were full that day. Talk about southern hospitality.

As far as feeding the squirrel, all domesticated animals were wild at some time and someone started feeding them. I've seen some pretty tame squirrels in my lifetime.

rocketsocks
05-09-2012, 14:10
How long do you think it wiil be when one day you're hiking in the "moment" and you come around the bend and say Oh God, not ANOTHER feed. You say to your buddy, wasn't that last one just what, maybe 3 miles ago. I don't think it's not that far in the future. Maybe next year. Maybe somebody has already said it this year. Maybe they'll have to start coordinating with each other as to when and where they will be so as to not create overkill or in this case "overfeed". Maybe even put a schedule in the guides complete with menu. Would add a new twist to figuring out resupplies and food drops and even eliminate quite a few. Could even possibly lighten the pack weight in general. Some might even say this is a win, win situation.
We could kill one bird with two stones;instead of signs that sayPlease don't feed the bears,They could read;"Please don't feed the primates"

jakedatc
05-09-2012, 15:57
I checked the mileage chart and it's only 4.4 miles between Unicoi and Tray. I'll bet those hikers were full that day. Talk about southern hospitality.

As far as feeding the squirrel, all domesticated animals were wild at some time and someone started feeding them. I've seen some pretty tame squirrels in my lifetime.

Yes, but unlike a dog, squirrels will not learn that some people will feed you and others will not. so they will chew completely though your bag to get to anything in it. they also learn that hikers will have food in their packs and the cycle continues.

how you guys can defend feeding animals is ridiculous. animals don't need to be fed. they will not be "tame" if people don't make them tame. Most people don't want animals coming up to them for food and digging through their packs to get at food.

i'm dumbfounded today...

I don't care who is a noobie and who isn't. Wrong is wrong. I guess setting fires above tree line is fine if you are new here? How about leaving trash along the trail?

Majortrauma
05-09-2012, 16:20
Wow, this thread went from a simple question of what was the best trail magic to several who several who clearly have appointed themselves judge and jury of the definition of "trail magic" and the philosophical implications and motives behind providing or receiving trail magic.

rocketsocks
05-09-2012, 16:25
Wow, this thread went from a simple question of what was the best trail magic to several who several who clearly have appointed themselves judge and jury of the definition of "trail magic" and the philosophical implications and motives behind providing or receiving trail magic.
Ain't life grand.......

Slo-go'en
05-09-2012, 16:56

Thier just jealous they've never gotten any good trail magic..

Cookerhiker
05-09-2012, 17:04

Yeah, you're right - who needs legalistic definitions? Mea culpa.

Best trail magic:

1. Mid spring hike in Shenandoah seeing the white-fringed phacelia so prolific they carpeted the forest floor for miles.
2. Sunset from White House Landing
3. Watching the frogs & salamanders swimming in Stratton Pond
4. The view from Glastonbury Mountain fire tower - nothing man-made in sight
5. Standing atop Cheoah Bald with a bright blue Autumn sky overhead and fog nestled in the valleys
6. Picking wild blueberries in Maine & elsewhere to have with my meals
7. The call of loons on the lakes in Maine
8. The smell of balsam firs atop Unaka Mountain while spring beauties and bluets bloomed under foot
9. The contrasting pattern of early white snow resting on red oak and maple leaves still on the trees
10. Seeing bears on the AT in Virginia, New Jersey, and Massachusetts; seeing moose in New Hampshire and Maine.

There's much more but I'll stop for now.

All "magical." Isn't this why we (most of us) hike)?

Gray Blazer
05-09-2012, 17:26
Yes, but unlike a dog, squirrels will not learn that some people will feed you and others will not. so they will chew completely though your bag to get to anything in it. they also learn that hikers will have food in their packs and the cycle continues.

how you guys can defend feeding animals is ridiculous. animals don't need to be fed. they will not be "tame" if people don't make them tame. Most people don't want animals coming up to them for food and digging through their packs to get at food.

i'm dumbfounded today...

Nutz! (That's a squirrel reference). I think the animals are going to eat thru the bags anyways. I never fed the mice at shelters, but the darn things were eating everything I had. I've never fed the squirrels at my house, but the darn things were eating everything in my garden including the flowers. They even chewed thru the macrame plant hangers to get the big beads cuz I guess they thought they were nutz. I know what you are saying, but you may be overreacting to one guy having a squirrel eat out of his hand.

I've even read on here where the Canadian Jays were eating out of people's hands. I understand everyone is not St. Francis of Assissi. Shoot, I wouldn't feed a wild animal cuz I don't want to get bitten. I've already been bitten by a lone wolf and a kangaroo and an alligator that seemed pretty tame.

Sorry for the rambling. :o

Old Hiker
05-09-2012, 17:39
Trail Magic:

1. Mr. Booth in Newfound Gap: no NOC shuttle despite the phone call the previous day. Mr. Booth had a hot grilled cheese, cold soda, chips and brownies, plus a ride into Gatlinburg on a cold, windy, rainy, painful (2 falls in an hour) day. He's in the construction business and hasn't built anything for 2 years, he says, but still goes to the Gap on weekends to do this.

2. Miss Janet. 'Nuff said.

3. Cooler at Spivey Gap on Easter Sunday - crunch bars, sodas, chips and fresh fruit.

4. Box right before the "handicapped accessible" part of the Trail from a Baptist Church youth group. Almost empty, but the duct tape helped keep my band-aides on my blisters for a while longer and knowing I was in their prayers was a boost to my morale.

5. Former thru-hikers who had the notice to come up to their cabin for a hot meal, Belgian waffles, drinks and desserts. I can't remember their names or the road crossing, but they were just past the "Welcome to NC" sign. The driveway was VERY steep!

6. Bubble-foot - he found my lost BDU liner and brought it forward to see if he could find the owner. This was just before a cold spell, so he really performed a Magic event!

All unexpected, not looked for, totally appreciated at the time and forever more. I haven't seen any "feeds" as such yet, but depending on the day and my mood, I may or may not partake.

All I can say about hand-feeding squirrels is it seems to be a great way to get food in the wilderness. Lure them in, smack them with your poles/sticks, grill slowly over a small fire!

rocketsocks
05-09-2012, 17:44
Thier just jealous they've never gotten any good trail magic..
Oh I've had my share of trail magic,though my definition today is deferent from days gone by.
One story involves Drambuie,affectionately know by it's owner as "Here have a shot of Bouie"the other would not be appropriate here,PM if ya really wanna hear it.

johnnybgood
05-09-2012, 17:47
Yeah, you're right - who needs legalistic definitions? Mea culpa.

Best trail magic:

1. Mid spring hike in Shenandoah seeing the white-fringed phacelia so prolific they carpeted the forest floor for miles.
2. Sunset from White House Landing
3. Watching the frogs & salamanders swimming in Stratton Pond
4. The view from Glastonbury Mountain fire tower - nothing man-made in sight
5. Standing atop Cheoah Bald with a bright blue Autumn sky overhead and fog nestled in the valleys
6. Picking wild blueberries in Maine & elsewhere to have with my meals
7. The call of loons on the lakes in Maine
8. The smell of balsam firs atop Unaka Mountain while spring beauties and bluets bloomed under foot
9. The contrasting pattern of early white snow resting on red oak and maple leaves still on the trees
10. Seeing bears on the AT in Virginia, New Jersey, and Massachusetts; seeing moose in New Hampshire and Maine.

There's much more but I'll stop for now.

All "magical." Isn't this why we (most of us) hike)?

Agreed . Well said Bill.

lemon b
05-09-2012, 18:16
The trail sure has changed since the 70's. Sure am truely sorry for having caused all those 1000's of chewed up packs.

rocketsocks
05-09-2012, 18:44
The trail sure has changed since the 70's. Sure am truly sorry for having caused all those 1000's of chewed up packs.
Hey,every one here grew up watching Marty Stouffer,Marlin Perkins Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom,and Jacques Cousteau.They would love an opportunity to hand feed a wild animal if the situation presented itself.

rjjones
05-09-2012, 18:44
Well i can say i receive something when "handing out food".To see a thru hiker look at a frozen bottle of water,or bite into a cold snickers bar on a 95 degree june day in pa?Makes me feel good!I'm hiking anyway so its no more effort to me.Maybe there should be trail magic labels.Handing out food-1 wing.Letting someone share your tent in the rain-6 wings.Dont much matter to me one way or another.So i'll keep "handing out food",and hope the hikers like it.

rocketsocks
05-09-2012, 18:54
Well i can say i receive something when "handing out food".To see a thru hiker look at a frozen bottle of water,or bite into a cold snickers bar on a 95 degree june day in pa?Makes me feel good!I'm hiking anyway so its no more effort to me.Maybe there should be trail magic labels.Handing out food-1 wing.Letting someone share your tent in the rain-6 wings.Dont much matter to me one way or another.So i'll keep "handing out food",and hope the hikers like it.I've never felt it wasn't appreciated or didn't taste great,just different....makes it a different kind of hike,a little less wild,thats all.:)

rickb
05-09-2012, 18:59
Hey,every one here grew up watching Marty Stouffer,Marlin Perkins Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom,and Jacques Cousteau.They would love an opportunity to hand feed a wild animal if the situation presented itself.

Wait till l you get around th Grey Jays in Maine. Just extend your arms. look to the sky and summon them. With or without food.

As for the red squirrels, they are too jacked up. Best to feed them something calming like a baked potato. Giving them anything with sugar or caffeine would be just wrong.

In Maine they feed the bears piles of donuts. I think that is rather low, but many that do are are revered as registered maine guides and the rest are respected as sportsmen.

WIAPilot
05-09-2012, 19:01
Well i can say i receive something when "handing out food".To see a thru hiker look at a frozen bottle of water,or bite into a cold snickers bar on a 95 degree june day in pa?Makes me feel good!I'm hiking anyway so its no more effort to me.Maybe there should be trail magic labels.Handing out food-1 wing.Letting someone share your tent in the rain-6 wings.Dont much matter to me one way or another.So i'll keep "handing out food",and hope the hikers like it.

I am sure that your kindness is very appreciated. Thank you for what you do.

rjjones
05-09-2012, 19:03
Yes,but after hiking for 4 or 5 days,eating freeze dried food,a piece of candy or ice water is soooooo nice.:jump

rocketsocks
05-09-2012, 19:08
Wait till l you get around th Grey Jays in Maine. Just extend your arms. look to the sky and summon them. With or without food.

As for the red squirrels, they are too jacked up. Best to feed them something calming like a baked potato. Giving them anything with sugar or caffeine would be just wrong.

In Maine they feed the bears piles of donuts. I think that is rather low, but many that do are are revered as registered maine guides and the rest are respected as sportsmen.
West coast Stellar Jays are pretty blazen.

rocketsocks
05-09-2012, 19:11
Yes,but after hiking for 4 or 5 days,eating freeze dried food,a piece of candy or ice water is soooooo nice.:jump
No doubt......

Pony
05-09-2012, 21:21
I was going up the mountain in NJ just south of the NY border near Vernon, can't remember the name. Anyway it was really hot and I as I was getting water from a spring a guy and his two sons came by and talked to me for a bit. The kids were around 4-6 years old and didn't seem to be paying any attention to what I was talking to their father about. As I said goodbye and walked about 50 yards up the trail I heard the youngest kid yell at me. "Hey, Mister!" I turned around and he said "Don't give up!" The next three weeks were the hottest, buggiest, most trying weeks on the trail. Anytime I felt like throwing in the towel I could hear this kids voice.

Any beer, be it cold, warm, in a cooler, or handed from the window of a pickup truck is always appreciated.

Miami Joe
05-10-2012, 15:41
This site has a reputation among newbies who come here as being unfriendly. Jumping all over someone for feeding a squirrell certainly validates that viewpoint.

St. Francis of Assisi would get absolutely murdered on WhiteBlaze.

Miami Joe
05-10-2012, 15:48
me........

Reality is merely an illusion, ableit a very persistent one ... or so I've heard.

Mags
05-10-2012, 17:50

That was the original definition in any case. Call it trail magic... Now-a-days it is Trail Magic with organized hiking feeds, organized cooler stashes, people hanging out on road crossings looking for hikers, etc.

I have my own personal definition of trail magic... Looks like the photos below. Magical places on the trail full of beauty, wonder and delight. A cooler of soda is nice.

Real trail magic is seeing the aspen leaves from Hope Pass on the CDT

http://ih1.redbubble.net/image.6943513.9132/flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

Or hiking off trail to meet up with an alpine lake in the Canadian Rockies:

http://ih3.redbubble.net/image.6276078.3921/flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

Seeing the wildflowers bloom in the Pecos Wilderness:

http://ih2.redbubble.net/image.11092059.3530/flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

Or enjoying a beautiful sunset in the southern Appalachians:

http://ih1.redbubble.net/image.11147097.0354/flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

Those are some of my favorite instances of trail magic over the years. I hope to have more in the future.

Will I pass up on a cold soda offered by someone? Not at all.

It is an act of kindness to be cherished. But, for me, the magic of the trail is the trail itself and not some corn syrup, flavoring and selzter. :)

At least for me.