PDA

View Full Version : soda bottle for denatured alcohol storage

foodbag
04-06-2005, 20:10
A question about the durability of a plain plastic Coke bottle for carrying denatured alcohol. How do they hold up?

I have one of those red Nalgene fuel bottles which weigh quite a bit more than a Coke bottle. I can't decide which to bring, Nalgene or Coke bottle? Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
Foodbag
(Pearisburg - Katahdin beginning May 2, 2005 :clap )

SGT Rock
04-06-2005, 20:46
They last a long time. Look at those platapus little nipper bottles if you want to save some weight.

Footslogger
04-06-2005, 20:58
They last a long time. Look at those platapus little nipper bottles if you want to save some weight.==============
Hey Rock ...I've got a couple of those "nippers" but I never thought of using them for my cooking alcohol. They're pretty durable and yet they are soft sided and could burst under pressure.

When I was looking for a suitable container for my denatured alcohol in 2003 I stumbled into the plastic booze flasks. Two ounces empty and made of a more durable plastic. Oval shaped and fit nicely into an outside pouch of the pack. The top is a 1oz jigger which is good for measuring out fuel.

That said ...I saw plenty of thru hikers in 2003 carrying thier fuel in 8 or 12 oz plastic soda bottles and never personally heard of any problems.

'Slogger
AT 2003

SGT Rock
04-06-2005, 21:12
Put the thing in your pot. Since they are soft they will fit and won't break. I have been using one for a few weeks now and I'll keep an eye on it. With my new stove it might become a moot point though.

erichlf
04-06-2005, 21:16
I found a pretty cool little water bottle. I believe it can hold 8.9 oz and it weighs 0.55oz. I can't quite remember exactly the capacity. You should be able to find them in the bottle water section of most super markets.

Lilred
04-06-2005, 21:24
I use the white plastic whiskey flask also and I've had alcohol in it for a couple of years straight now. Not a problem. I wrap mine with duct tape so as not to confuse it with my other whiskey flask ;)

TDale
04-06-2005, 21:31
Just use a flask and Everclear. No confusion and dual purpose. ;)

Sly
04-06-2005, 21:34
The thinnest plastic soda or water bottle will probably last the entire trail. I used one for over a 1000 miles and only replaced it just because.

I do like the small soft plastic 2-4oz squeeze bottles with the flip-up top for overnight or weekend trips though.

SGT Rock
04-06-2005, 21:40
With my l;atest stove I now only carry 4 ounce bottle of fuel and some fire starter. I'll try it a while before I switch over completly.

erichlf
04-06-2005, 21:43
Latest stove as in Ion. Or have you come up with another?

Sly
04-06-2005, 21:44
With my l;atest stove I now only carry 4 ounce bottle of fuel and some fire starter. I'll try it a while before I switch over completly.

I'm looking foward to buying an Ion stove at Trail Days.

Will you be there and/or the stove be available? ;)

Oracle
04-06-2005, 22:09
I've been using an 8 oz. white plastic flask with a flip up top on it. Works like a charm.

ATSeamstress
04-06-2005, 22:13
I use a cough syrup bottle. They come in many sizes and the ounces are clearly marked along the side, makes for easy measuring. Also, no one will mistake it for water. Any pharmacy will give you one or sell it at a minimum price. I have 2, 4, 6 and 8 oz bottles and choose depending on the length of my trip.

Whatever you use, clearly mark the bottle "FUEL".

Ragamuffin
GA>ME 2009

Mountain Hippie
04-06-2005, 23:09
If you really want to use a coke bottle it should hold up fine. I carry a alcohol stove and a 20 oz coke bottle of fuel in my work truck. I have had the same bottle for better than three years now. It is possible that you may abuse it more than I do but it is doubtful.
On the trail I use a 1/2 pint bourbon bottle or a clear 1/2 vodka bottle. The stove doesn't seem to mind which one.

erichlf
04-07-2005, 00:13
I use a cough syrup bottle. They come in many sizes and the ounces are clearly marked along the side, makes for easy measuring. Also, no one will mistake it for water. Any pharmacy will give you one or sell it at a minimum price. I have 2, 4, 6 and 8 oz bottles and choose depending on the length of my trip. I like that idea how much does the 8 oz., that you have, weigh?

mbroadhe
04-07-2005, 02:38
I use a baby bottle. Same deal as the cough syrup bottle, it has the ounces labeled on it.

SGT Rock
04-07-2005, 07:32
Latest stove as in Ion. Or have you come up with another?
It is an Ion hybrid. To make a long story short, I have designed a windscreen/potstand that can also serve as a wood stove so I can use it to burn wood, and it will also use the Ion as a back-up alcohol burner. For the same start weight as the Ion I can carry my Ion, the Pentagon stand, a 4 ounce bottle of alcohol, and enough fire starter material for probably about a month of hiking. I'm still playing with prototypes. The original NEW stove design I am working on was supposed to be a flamethrower of a stove, but if I personally carried one I would want my Ion burner in it.

Picture: http://hikinghq.net/ionstove/images/100_0345.jpg

Se related thread: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8345

I'm looking foward to buying an Ion stove at Trail Days.

Will you be there and/or the stove be available? ;)
I'm planning on being at Trail Days. I haven't though about brining stoves and selling them because I don't want to be tied to a both, but I guess I can bring whatever stock I have left and keep it in my car in case someone wants to buy one. There is outfitter that was there last year (I won't name a name until we work out a deal) that has also contacted me about getting a supply of them to sell, so maybe there will be a place you can get them there besides me.

rpettit
04-07-2005, 10:08
I am looking for a bottle that will fit inside my 16 oz. cup. It needs to be a maximum of 2.5" tall and 3.5" in diameter, less than .5 oz in weight. Any ideas?

SGT Rock
04-07-2005, 10:37
How much is it supposed to hold?

rpettit
04-07-2005, 11:07
6 oz. would be good. 8 oz. max. My longest hikes are 5 days 4 nights. I boil water for dinner 4 times, so I only need 4 oz., if I don't have problems. The bottle dimension was derived from the area left over in my cup after stove and windscreen storage, not actual fuel capacity requirements.

SGT Rock
04-07-2005, 11:10
I found a bottle that I think would meet that. At Wal-Mart there is a very small bottle of some soda like substance that holds 8 ounces.

rpettit
04-07-2005, 11:29
Can I assume that you located it in their soda aisle?

SGT Rock
04-07-2005, 11:47
Seems like it was near the bottled flavored water.

rpettit
04-07-2005, 12:48
Just went to check them out. The brand is "kid connections", 8 oz. water bottles, 8.45 oz. soda bottles. 5.5" tall. Thanks for your input anyway. I am looking for a bottle that is wider than it is tall, probably won't find something to fit that bill.

SGT Rock
04-07-2005, 12:50
You'll probably have to look for a jar for something like that.

"ME & U"
04-07-2005, 12:59
I use a cough syrup bottle. They come in many sizes and the ounces are clearly marked along the side, makes for easy measuring. Also, no one will mistake it for water. Any pharmacy will give you one or sell it at a minimum price. I have 2, 4, 6 and 8 oz bottles and choose depending on the length of my trip.

Whatever you use, clearly mark the bottle "FUEL".

Ragamuffin
GA>ME 2009Check out the small size listerine bottles. leakproof, durable, and a convienant top for measure.

Moxie00
04-07-2005, 19:49
:sun I usually drink coke while in town but one day in Damascus I just happened to purchase a bottle of Sprite. I was carrying my denatured in a small nalgene but had seen others using soda bottles so I wrapped a yard or so of duct tape around the Sprite Bottle, poured in my denatured, and sent my Nalgene home. That was 4 years 9 months ago and the green Sprite bottle is still holding up. It made it to Maine, later across the Senorian Desert in Arizona and three weeks on the CDT in Montana. It has made many extended canoe trips with me in the Maine wilderness and hadn't let me down yet. I don't know if Virginia has a bottle deposit but if yhe bottle ever lets me down I can take it back to the store for my 5 cent deposit.

foodbag
04-08-2005, 10:42
Thanks for your input everyone. Looks like I get to save about 4 ounces! Every little bit helps.... :banana

JoeHiker
04-08-2005, 12:04
I bought one of those plastic dispenser bottles that Brasslite sells and was extremely disappointed to find out that no matter how tightly you screw the top on, you cannot make them watertight.

Love the stove, waste of money with the bottle.

dougmeredith
04-08-2005, 13:49
I bought one of those plastic dispenser bottles that Brasslite sells and was extremely disappointed to find out that no matter how tightly you screw the top on, you cannot make them watertight.
I have been using their 8 oz bottle without any problems.

Doug

erichlf
04-08-2005, 15:35

Love the stove, waste of money with the bottle. yeah I feel that it was a bit of a waste of money.

oldfivetango
04-08-2005, 16:27
I have been using their 8 oz bottle without any problems.

Doug I bought two of the 8 oz bottles-have not noticed a problem with either
one-but then again i store them upright and not on the side.It was apparent to me that the "flip-top" affair was sure to leak if it got jostled around in the pack.SO-i took the two solid tops and put on one bottle and then put the two flip-tops on the same bottle.The "flip-top" goes in my pants pocket(or waistband" to be heated up to the trusty old 98.6 as i have inferred that the temp of the fuel is a factor in the performance in cold weather.The other bottle goes anywhere in my pack but mostly it resides in the former water bladder holder along with the proverbial plastic whiskey flask which also can accomodate up to 16 oz of alcohol of the "other" variety.
Since it has become apparent to me that i spill more fuel than most
of the pros use to cook with i am now using an eyedropper to prime the
ring on the side of my brasslite with.The 8 oz bottle has a nifty measuring
apparatus built into it so consumption can be managed a little better.
Now i have to go test my bottles by laying them on the side to see what happens but so far leakage has not been an issue.
Cheers,
Oldfivetango

SGT Rock
04-08-2005, 17:57
My son uses the 8 ounce bottle. I've never noticed a leak with it and it is very handy for pouring the correct amount of alcohol. I personally just carry one of those cups for measuring cough syrup.

Mr. Clean
04-08-2005, 18:29
I was wondering, why isn't it good to put denatured alcohol into an aluminum container? I've done this and haven't noticed anything yet. I've read that it's not a good thing to do.