PDA

View Full Version : Cornmeal & chocolate

chrisoc
05-08-2012, 12:22
I have read that blackpowder trekkers carry blocks of Mexican chocolate and cornmeal to be made into a concoction called atole (ah=TOL=ay) or coco-mush. It can be thin and used as a beverage or thick enough to eat with a spoon. Supposed to be a good breakfast, especially on a cold morning.

mikec
05-08-2012, 14:12
It sounds like something different to try on a future hike. I find hot breakfasts to be a challenge. You can only eat so much oatmeal, granola or powdered eggs.

Danl
05-08-2012, 15:10
Sounds a little like malt-o-meal with a twist.

swammie
05-08-2012, 16:07
Wikipedia calls it Mexican comfort food. Must try then.

mudhead
05-08-2012, 17:36
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?26363-Moose-Goo-is-Awesome&highlight=moose+goo

The uncooked oatmeal one is good. First bite is hmmm, then the sugar hits...

Can't vouch for the corn type.

alicevinci
05-12-2012, 03:09
Eggs are the only good option which is to be eat in cold morning. It maintain the heat inside the body and provide energy throughout the day. oatmeal is also good.

Odd Man Out
05-12-2012, 11:01
I have read that blackpowder trekkers carry blocks of Mexican chocolate and cornmeal to be made into a concoction called atole (ah=TOL=ay) or coco-mush. It can be thin and used as a beverage or thick enough to eat with a spoon. Supposed to be a good breakfast, especially on a cold morning.

I googled some recipes. It looks real good (basically chocolate, milk, sugar and corn flour). But the standard recipes are not very trail friendly (lots of cooking, blenders, etc...). Some adjustments would be needed. Must experiment.

quilteresq
05-12-2012, 13:16
Eggs are the only good option which is to be eat in cold morning. It maintain the heat inside the body and provide energy throughout the day. oatmeal is also good.

I eat scrambled eggs and oatmeal every morning at home for that reason - see no reason to change that on the trail, except for the powdered eggs. As a plus, plenty of protein with your carb keeps your BG in the right range all morning. I wish I was better at that for lunch and dinner!

chrisoc
05-14-2012, 15:25
I googled some recipes. It looks real good (basically chocolate, milk, sugar and corn flour). But the standard recipes are not very trail friendly (lots of cooking, blenders, etc...). Some adjustments would be needed. Must experiment.
Trekkers travel with blackpowder rifles and use period correct clothing and equipment from the mountain man era. The probably cook up some hasty pudding in a corn boiler, melt some chocolate in it and eat it with a horn spoon.

chrisoc
05-19-2012, 10:40
I can't edit, but my last post should say "they probably cook etc. . . . "

slovakiasteph
05-20-2012, 14:22
Sounds good to me! I like to eat oatmeal, bulgur, couscous, grits, and cream-of-wheat, so I'll add this to my list of breakfast grains.

4Bears
05-20-2012, 19:45
Sounds good to me! I like to eat oatmeal, bulgur, couscous, grits, and cream-of-wheat, so I'll add this to my list of breakfast grains.
I would think one could add some cocoa to any of these, just a matter of experimenting how much to suit one's tastebuds. I like the idea and will have to get out my Junior Science Kit and create my own poison.

MyName1sMud
05-23-2012, 12:16
I eat scrambled eggs and oatmeal every morning at home

I really need to start doing this!

Spokes
05-23-2012, 13:29
Sounds like the precursor to Nutella.

Spokes
05-23-2012, 13:30
Wikipedia calls it Mexican comfort food. Must try then.

I thought that was Tequila

Grinder
05-23-2012, 15:03
trial batch in the microwave as I type

1/4 cup grits, 2tbs baking cocoa and 2tbs sugar, 3/4cup water

Results to follow

Grinder
05-23-2012, 15:08
not good.needs less chocolate and more sugar . Plus boiled over with 1 minute in microwave big mess and not done. Chewey grits kind of takes the edge off it. <G>

Think I'll read directions for microwaved grits before next attempt.

Later

dla
05-24-2012, 12:51
That will speed things up when you're talking to a man about a wallaby...

Grinder
05-29-2012, 20:11
this morning I looked up the real recipe for atole. Turns out chocolate is only a variation.

I found some masa in the back of the fridge. Had vanilla, cinnamon and brown sugar (called piloncilla in mexican spanish I guess). Added a bit of bakers chocolate.

It was alright. Kind of textured like jello before it sets. Not great, but caffeine free.

lunchbx
05-29-2012, 21:53
we puerto ricans have something similar we call avena but we cook it without the chocolate. I have brought cornmeal on the trail in the past cuz it is good nutrition problem is that (avena) corn meal tastes horrible when you cook it with water instead of milk. butter and cinnamon are optional but ad that extra flavor that makes it addictive. another drawback is that corn meal needs to be continuously stirred on a low heat for at least 20 minutes or it will burn on the bottom of your pot. grits is very similar to this but i have no experience cooking that. im pretty sure from watching the movie my cousin vinny that there is such a thing as instant grits.

rocketsocks
05-30-2012, 14:44
we puerto ricans have something similar we call avena but we cook it without the chocolate. I have brought cornmeal on the trail in the past cuz it is good nutrition problem is that (avena) corn meal tastes horrible when you cook it with water instead of milk. butter and cinnamon are optional but ad that extra flavor that makes it addictive. another drawback is that corn meal needs to be continuously stirred on a low heat for at least 20 minutes or it will burn on the bottom of your pot. grits is very similar to this but i have no experience cooking that. im pretty sure from watching the movie my cousin vinny that there is such a thing as instant grits.No self respecting Southerner would use "Instant Grits"(as told to me by my "Uncle Ben").;)