PDA

View Full Version : switching out gear

Pages
05-08-2012, 14:47
well a short amount of hiking experience - 50 miles from springer to unicoi gap - has compelled me to change some gear around. strangely enough, has NOT taught me to go lighter but a bit heavier in order to be more comfortable. the weight increase is negligible in my option.

switched from zpacks hex amid solo to tarp tent contrail. the hex amide was WAY to small with the sloping wall and more of a pain to set up than i want to deal with.

switched from a 3/4 neoair elite to a regular 2011 prolite. definitely needed a full length pad. want one that will work as a frame in my frameless pack, and something that is a bit more durable.

finally, switched my zpacks 20 degree bag to a mont-bell ss ul #3 (30 degree.) need the extra room to squirm around and the zpacks bag, without a hood, was just too minimalist for me.

think these changes should work out nicely and fit just fine in my ULA CDT, which I still LOVE by the way!

-Pages

Llama Legs
05-08-2012, 14:54
Very well stated. Sleeping comfort is critical. We could all go out with just a loin cloth and Rambo knife for a day or two :)

Mountain Mike
05-08-2012, 15:19
It's a very personal line to make between hiking comfort & camping comfort. When I switched from closed cell pad to therma-a-rest many people were quick to point out closed cell was almost 1/2 the weight. My thinking was it's more than 4 times the comfort & I can hike a lot further well rested. To each his own. What works for some doesn't for others.

q-tip
05-08-2012, 15:33
I concur--I switched out my Six Moons Design Wild Oasis for my TT Contrail--I almost drowned in it during a three day rain event, switched out my 30 degree bag for a WM Alpinlight, was freezing my buns off at 30 d nights, my blue sleep pad for a Neo Air-just couldn't sleep on the thing. All this for the colorado Trail in July. Adding the weight is psychologically difficult, but the extra weight and safer gear is a must for me on a long solo hike.

Odd Man Out
05-08-2012, 21:33
I've been rethinking my gear list too. It seems that the norm seems to be to start with too much stuff and then scale back to cut weight. My current thinking (which seems to change daily) is it would be better to start with too little and adjust by adding the stuff you really think you need. The experience you all are reporting suggests this might be a good strategy.

BTW, I was considering a Hexamid but the solo+ (with net floor). Any clue if that larger size might have worked for you, or is the setting-up issue still a deal breaker?

Franco
05-08-2012, 22:56
shot this video the other day on something like that.I hope you can see the fun side...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my5Mj91Bk8w&list=UU0PuLUKvG7Fxxex5BMVK4vw& index=1&feature=plcp

Franco

Pages
05-08-2012, 22:56
I've been rethinking my gear list too. It seems that the norm seems to be to start with too much stuff and then scale back to cut weight. My current thinking (which seems to change daily) is it would be better to start with too little and adjust by adding the stuff you really think you need. The experience you all are reporting suggests this might be a good strategy.

BTW, I was considering a Hexamid but the solo+ (with net floor). Any clue if that larger size might have worked for you, or is the setting-up issue still a deal breaker?

it just wasn't the right tent for me. i was going to go with a copper spur but think that might be a bit overkill. if the contrail turns out to be still too minimal for me, i will go with the copper spur. i like protection from rain, but don't like carrying the weight that that protection costs. the contrail should be fine.

-Pages

Franco
05-08-2012, 23:00
BTW, it is a very long clip but the point is made at abou 12:45 ...

Bucho
05-11-2012, 08:20
50 miles from springer to unicoi gap - has compelled me to change some gear around. strangely enough, has NOT taught me to go lighter but a bit heavier in order to be more comfortable.

That doesn't seem unreasonable to me, you need to carry the gear that works for you for what you're doing right now.

Personally I hiked with a xs prolite, it wasn't a problem for me. I'd just stick something like my pack under my feet, but the neoair is so thick I don't know how people deal with the height difference, seems akward to me.

Pages
05-12-2012, 20:06
so decided to go with the copper spur. i hope i am finally happy so i can move on with this!

- Pages

STICK
05-12-2012, 20:55
Good to see that you are finding what works for you!

I have a couple of tents and am very happy with my Hexamid Solo+, but have always wanted to get a Contrail...not sure I would use it a whole lot, but I really want it.

I will say that there is a very large difference in the Solo vs the Solo+ Hexamids. I have the Solo+ and recently did a hike with a buddy that has the Solo tarp with the innernet. I was surprised at the difference. As far as set-up, I find the Hexamid quite easy to set-up, and the Solo+ has 10 stakeout points (only 6 are needed though). The great thing is once I set it up I don't have to worry about the material sagging when it cools down or gets wet so no retensioning is required! (Odd Man Out, here is a write up on my Hexamid Solo+ tent. (http://sticksblog.com/gear/my-current-gear/shelter/zpacks-hexamid-solo-plus-w-beak-cuben-ground-sheet/))

I also agree with you on a full length, rectangular cut pad. A pad that is not long enough to accommodate all of me is not near as comfortable, and neither is a pad that has the corners cut off. (I have emailed TAR about how I am unhappy that they have discontinued the original NeoAirs as these are quite literally the perfect pad for me in terms of weight and comfort, which includes being warm enough for me.) But I need to have a comfy pad with me to enjoy a good nights sleep, which dictates how well I feel to hike the next day. And I love it so much that I include my regular size NeoAir in my less than 5 lb SUL base weight. (If I cut the Neo out I would be below 4 lbs...)

Just curious though why you switched from a 20 F bag to a 30 F bag, and how do you find that they both perform? Do they work for you down to the proposed temperature rating?

Also, I am a bit confused...Are you using a Contrail or a Copper Spur? Did you not like the Contrail either?

Either way, those are all great choices, IMO. For a free standing, double walled tent for 2 I would like the CS UL2. Also, I have always wanted to try one of the MB bags. Hope all the new gear works out better for you!