PDA

View Full Version : Massachusetts hikers fined for hiking closed Katahdin trail.

TJ aka Teej
05-08-2012, 19:23
Park Ranger Mike Winslow checked the Abol Trail late last week and found conditions on the Tableland very soft and wet. These are exactly the early spring conditions that would lead to trail and vegetation damage if the trail were open to hiking traffic. Over the weekend, BSP Rangers issued citations to four hikers from Massachusetts who ignored the trail closed signs and hiked Katahdin. As much as I love hiking Katahdin, I don't think it's worth $200 for a day hike. Rangers will be regularly checking the trail and we will open Katahdin access trails as soon as conditions permit, in the meantime, we thank you for respecting our efforts to protect the fragile and rare resources on Katahdin.

http://baxtertrails.blogspot.com/2012/05/roaring-brook-road-is-now-open-to.html#more

T.S.Kobzol
05-08-2012, 22:48
Are kidding? Only $200 for starting Sobo earlier to beat the bugs? (and,drown during water crossings Haha)

Seriously though... The fine is too low.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

TJ aka Teej
05-09-2012, 18:51
Are kidding? Only $200 for starting Sobo earlier to beat the bugs? (and,drown during water crossings Haha)
Seriously though... The fine is too low.

They were peak-baggers, not ATers. Evidently they hit Hamlin too.

Deadeye
05-09-2012, 19:24
I see this every spring - hikers ignore the "trail closed for mud season" signs. I guess they think it's everyone else causing the damage... not them.

T.S.Kobzol
05-09-2012, 19:44
hmm. just for peakbagging that does not sound like a good bang for the buck :-) ... theoretically if they went up Pamola and Knife edge and back the same way then the Tableland could be spared the footsteps.