PDA

View Full Version : When to start?

Owf
05-08-2012, 23:00
Hey, my goal for this upcoming end of summer/fall is to do a section hike from Vermont to Maine. What I was wondering is...when would the best time to do this section be? I was hoping to fall in line with some of the through-hikers, so when do you guys think that the biggest crowd of through hikers will be crossing the Vermont border? I hope to start at a time where I will be in the wave of through hikers so that I could meet some people along my hike. I was planning on starting around the end of july or early early august. Do you guys think that sounds good?

Also..one more question, when do South bounders typically start their through-hikes? I wonder this because it would be nice to run into some sobos, as well.

Thanks for your help, guys :)

Lone Wolf
05-08-2012, 23:17
august 1st

Owf
05-09-2012, 13:15
Wow, perfect..that's exactly when I told my boss I'd be leaving haha, thank you :)

Montana Mac
05-09-2012, 15:33
I had to get off the trail June 25th due to a foot injury and I was in NH when I got off. I was by no means the first one that far north. Go over to Trail Journals and read some of the journals and that will give you an idea where people are. After reading some of the entries you may decide to plan your hike to coincide with theirs.