PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Massachusetts

redeagle
05-09-2012, 02:02
Hey everyone,
I'm planning a section hike (southbound) through Massachusetts to around Salisbury, CT. Approximately how long did it take you to complete the state of Massachusetts? I understand the section is approximately 92 miles and I don't plan on taking any zero days. Any help or advice on this section is appreciated!
Thanks,
Red Eagle

lemon b
05-09-2012, 07:14
Depends on your current legs. 4 days if you've been hiking everyday for months. 7-10 for a current desk jockey, weekender.

Monkeywrench
05-09-2012, 07:16
Hey Red Eagle, I know this is going to sound like I'm being a smart-ass, but only you will know the answer to this. It all depends on how many miles you hike in a day. If you're a ten-mile-per-day hiker, it will take 9 days. If you're a fifteen-mile-per-day hiker, it will take 6.

Massachusetts has some ups and downs, but nothing particularly gnarly that would make for exceptionally slow progress. I think I spent 5 days going from Salisbury through Massachusetts on my thru-hike, and that included a couple of short and easy slack-packs when my wife came out to spend some time with me.

Don't miss out on the pancake breakfast at Upper Goose Pond Cabin, or cookies with the Cookie Lady!

canoehead
05-09-2012, 07:57
It's almost 100 miles from the MA-VT line to Rt41 in Salisbury Ct. So the amount of days will depend on your fitness level. It's a fun hike with out much difficulty and usually plenty of water. The steep sections aren't to bad at all and there's not many through MA in CT the views will get better starting at the Jug End re area all the way to Salisbury. You can re supply pretty easy along the way or drop a car off on Rt 20 in Becket and use that as your resupply that's what I do when I do trips in the area. Head nets & Deet make the trip a bit easier.
Here's a link for trail mileage.
http://www.atdist.com/atdist
This is the trail mileage for your trip. Have fun

Vermont-Massachusetts Line

Wilbur Clearing Lean-to Side Trail, MA

Mark Noepel Lean-to Side Trail, MA

Kay Wood Lean-to Side Trail, MA

October Mountain Lean-to, MA

Mount Wilcox N Lean-to Side Trail, MA

Mount Wilcox S Lean-to, MA

Tom Leonard Lean-to, MA

Glen Brook Lean-to, MA

The Hemlocks Lean-to, MA

Massachusetts-Connecticut Line

Brassie Brook Lean-to, CT

Riga Lean-to, CT

CT41-Salisbury, CT

tdoczi
05-09-2012, 11:24
i did it in multiple short trips, which is a little different, but i covered north adams to salisbury in basically 5 days (6 total, but two of them short) the MA -VT line is in the middle of the woods so depending on how you want to handle those last couple of miles.... theoretically walking from north adams to the border should take all of 2 hours tops but then you have to extricate yourself from that location somehow.

at any rate i'd say no more than a week.

Montana Mac
05-09-2012, 15:46
On the evening of April 27th we started in Dalton and went to the Kay Woods shelter (2.2miles) then on the 28th we went from there to Route 20 (16 miles) - Easy hiking - Upper Goose is only another 2.1 miles from Rt 20.

Blissful
05-09-2012, 15:57
Make sure you have complete bug protection. Mosquito alley once they are out.

lemon b
06-04-2012, 09:02
Hiked thru the Housatonic Flats and up over to 23 this weekend. Could not believe the total lack of bugs. Very unusal for these parts. Must be the cooler weather.