PDA

View Full Version : The future of backpacking unveiled.

fiddlehead
05-09-2012, 09:35
Saw this in an article about robots for the military being developed now:
(Lots more to the article and different systems but this is the one that caught my attention):
(I wonder if it'll be allowed in our National Scenic Trail system)

LEGGED SQUAD SUPPORT SYSTEM - A robot being developed by Boston Dynamics poses an extra challenge compared to the Oshkosh and Lockheed vehicles. In addition to navigating its environment, the Legged Squad Support System, or LS3, must be able to maintain its balance on four limbs while carrying a load.
Like the SMSS, the LS3 - dubbed the Alpha Dog - is designed to carry gear for a squad of ground troops.
Mark Raibert, head of Boston Dynamics, said the biggest challenge in developing the Alpha Dog was not perception but scaling up the robot from smaller versions of the technology while keeping the weight at the target 1,250 pounds (567 kg) including fuel and payload.
The vehicle, which is powered by a gasoline engine that drives a hydraulic system, underwent a limited prototype test in January. The company is working toward a first release of the robot in the early fall this year, with some initial ground tests toward the end of the year, Raibert said in an e-mail.

rocketsocks
05-09-2012, 10:10
That thing is way cool lookin.Maybe if 4 or 5 people went in on it together,they could get the price down to $1,000,000 a piece.

rocketsocks
05-09-2012, 10:12
That thing is way cool lookin.Maybe if 4 or 5 people went in on it together,they could get the price down to $1,000,000 a piece.
Now that's what I call "Slack Packin"

Feral Bill
05-09-2012, 11:19
The military used something like that in the past. It was called a mule.

Gray Blazer
05-09-2012, 11:47
I thought you could use one of those radio controlled blimps like they have at indoor arenas. You could load your stuff on it in the morning and have it follow you all day. Then bring it down when you need stuff. Could be problematic on windy days. In that case they have those robot helicopters ...

Odd Man Out
05-09-2012, 14:48

I hereby offer my services to carry your pack for just just $800,000. What a deal. Limited time offer!

hunter121
05-11-2012, 04:34
Great thread,Thank you to all those who posted...., keep them coming : )
http://www.yourfinancehelper.com/article/today/act.jpg
http://www.yourfinancehelper.com/article/today/lk.jpg

Connie
05-17-2012, 10:43
Do they have a video? Maybe I could get my Alpha Dog Akita Dog to carry my pack.