PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know if the road to Deep Gap is open yet?

ToeJam
04-07-2005, 09:53
Last I had heard when we set up our shuttle for that area, was that it was closed at least 3 miles in from hurricane damage last year. They weren't sure if they'd have it open by spring or not.

Our shuttle people gave us the option of being dropped off there and hike the 3 or so miles in to Deep Gap, or taking us to Standing Indian campground, and I'm trying to decide between those, but perhaps that's not even a problem anymore? (Edit: Re-read the email, they said either to gate and 3.5 miles to Deep Gap, or to Kimsey Creek trail - but also mention Standing Indian campground - are these two one and the same?)

Youngblood
04-07-2005, 10:02
... (Edit: Re-read the email, they said either to gate and 3.5 miles to Deep Gap, or to Kimsey Creek trail - but also mention Standing Indian campground - are these two one and the same?)
The Kimsey Creek Trail connects Standing Indian Campground to Deep Gap, so yes they are talking about the same thing.

Youngblood

generoll
They will both get you to the same place. Standing Indian campground is a Forest Service campground and you can take the Kimsey Creek trail to Deep Gap where you will connect with the AT. It's about a 3 mile hike either way. Kimsey Creek Trail not too suprisingly follows Kimsey Creek most of the way and is a very scenic hike. I've never hiked the road to Deep Gap so I know nothing about it. The Standing Indian shelter is about a mile or so from the Kimsey Creek/Deep Gap junction and is one of the newer shelters with water close by and no privey. You can hike on a few miles farther and camp on top of Stnading Indian which also should have water available this time of year. Take your pick.

orangebug
Kimsey Creek Trail is reached from the Standing Indian State Park campground. I'd recommend that trail over a road walk, any time.

Hyway
04-07-2005, 10:52
This past Saturday night I was hiking down from deep gap to Standing indian campground via the Kimsey Creek Trail. be advised that it is aptly named. I was hiking in a creek more times than not. Of course, it had been a rainy week and it was snowing to beat the band that night.

Also, if hiking this trail in the dark, be aware that somewhere along the way there is a connector trail that will take you up to the Park Ridge Trail where it intersects the "Park Creek Park Ridge Connector Trail) . I didn't mean to take it, but take it I did LOL. Was thoroughly confused as well since none of those trail, with the exception of Kimsey Creek Trail was on my ATC map.

MDSHiker
04-07-2005, 10:57
The Kimsey Creek Trail is one of my favorites in that area. Make sure you follow the blazes closely...there are some connecting trails along the way.

ToeJam
04-07-2005, 11:02
Thanks, all. Kimsey Creek it is, then. But no one knows if the FS road is still closed? That'd be the best option, to start right AT Deep Gap where we left off last section... and we're gonna be driving all night and not starting til afternoon, so I'd like to make the first day out as easy as possible and get to bed relatively early to catch up on that lost night's sleep...

One Leg
04-07-2005, 11:10
I think the road being talked about is the very long that dead-ends into a parking area. At the other end, it comes out on the main road going into Franklin, NC. Wish I could recall the name of it. There's a very active creek on the right side of the road as you're going out toward the main road. It's between 9 & 11 miles long. Awful long way to walk if the road's closed.

Hyway
04-07-2005, 11:11
The FS road was closed at Deep Gap last saturday. I have no idea how far from there it was open since I didn't hike it.

Doctari
04-07-2005, 13:21
Last I had heard when we set up our shuttle for that area, was that it was closed at least 3 miles in from hurricane damage last year. They weren't sure if they'd have it open by spring or not.

Our shuttle people gave us the option of being dropped off there and hike the 3 or so miles in to Deep Gap, or taking us to Standing Indian campground, and I'm trying to decide between those, but perhaps that's not even a problem anymore? (Edit: Re-read the email, they said either to gate and 3.5 miles to Deep Gap, or to Kimsey Creek trail - but also mention Standing Indian campground - are these two one and the same?)

That road seems to be chronicly closed :p

The hike up Kimsey creek is one of the best I have ever done. EVER!! to the point I sometimes wish they would re-route the AT that way.

Kimsey creek starts not far from the hiker parking lot just past the main entrance to SICG (Pass the enterance, do not enter it) & is fairly easy to follow.

Have a great hike!!

Doctari.

Lilred
04-07-2005, 18:27
That road seems to be chronicly closed :p

The hike up Kimsey creek is one of the best I have ever done. EVER!! to the point I sometimes wish they would re-route the AT that way.

Kimsey creek starts not far from the hiker parking lot just past the main entrance to SICG (Pass the enterance, do not enter it) & is fairly easy to follow.

Have a great hike!!

Doctari.

Just don't make my mistake, where Kimsey Creek meets up with the FS road, it veers off to the left, where an old road used to be. I headed up that road and merrily walked on for a good half mile, till I realized my mistake and turned back. Nice hike to the AT. Have fun.

stumpy
04-07-2005, 21:30
Make sure that you follow the blazes on Kimsey Creek trail, it is very easy to go onto the wrong trail. Do not follow the trail that runs along the river, Kimsey Creek will take a left, up the mountain, not long after leaving the campground.

It is really worth the extra couple of miles to camp on the summit of Standing Indian. Great place to set up camp, and really good view. The last couple of miles are pretty steep though.:sun

mark10203
05-04-2005, 18:47
Last fall, I finished a section hike at Deep Gap and suspected something was up when I discovered my ride was not there. Started down the road, not a bad walk but it is about three and half miles to the locked gate.

Ridge
05-05-2005, 02:06
http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/press/storm.htm The road to Deep Gap is still closed but supposed to open in mid-summer 2005. hikerwife