PDA

View Full Version : What is the "least" friendly trail town?

moldy
05-09-2012, 13:08
My vote would go to Boiling Springs Pa. Did some hiker do something bad there in the past? I had trouble even talking to people. Even eye contact was being avoided. My guess is that the town itself is a bedroom community for a nearby city and is full of richer people. Perhaps as I move further North I will see more of this. I suppose I was spoiled by the towns further South. I could tell that the few retailers just wanted me to buy something then keep moving. The little hiker campground next to the tracks has that "keep moving" feel about it. Why else would they not even supply a picnic table for the camping spot? Next time I will stealth camp out in the valley and spend my money someplace else. Are there other places this un-friendly?

HeartFire
05-09-2012, 13:24
the entire state of Connecticut

Spokes
05-09-2012, 13:49
1+ on Connecticut. I nominate Kent, CT for "The Most Arrogant Town"award.

tdoczi
05-09-2012, 13:50
i hiked through boiling springs in the middle of thru hiker mania last june and never got that feeling. theres not much there for hikers but thats not unreasonable and doesnt make them unfriendly. that there are towns with better things to do than wait for hordes of thru hikers to show up isnt a bad thing.

Montana Mac
05-09-2012, 15:26
I grew up there and lived about a mile from the AT until they did a major reroute. I haven't lived there for m-a-n-y years because I have to agree that about the majority of the state is unfriendly. I go back to visit my sister -

Monkeywrench
05-09-2012, 15:27
I spent time in both Boiling Springs and Kent, and had a fine time in both. It's not that hard to get along with people.

max patch
05-09-2012, 15:40
The only complaint I had about CT was the outfitter in Kent at the time required a $20 minimum to use your charge card (which is against the merchant user agreement). Everyone one else was friendly; a lot of times the attitude you get is the attitude you give.

And the people in the store in Cornwall that gave thrus a Guiness certainly were friendly.

max patch
05-09-2012, 15:42
For me, the least friendly town was Damascus because my tent was stolen there (I had it pitched down by the water). Police said locals did crap like that all the time.

Blissful
05-09-2012, 15:47
I went to the restaurant there in Boiling Springs just last year on my SOBO and they were fantastic. They let me park my smelly backpack in the foyer and everything. I had no issues and had great food.

Salisbury, CT is not sure what to do about hikers I could tell, but the PO there was great. Now the PO guy in Kent was NOT nice at all. People were staring at us with how rude he was to me. I just figured maybe he got burnt toast for breakfast. Yet I had a guy there in Kent offer his office computer to me to use (I politely declined) and the Chinese restaurant loved me (I was the only customer then). Sometimes one sour apple can make it tempting to ruin the batch (or the town).

Spokes
05-09-2012, 16:00
The only complaint I had about CT was the outfitter in Kent at the time required a $20 minimum to use your charge card (which is against the merchant user agreement).....

Outfitter? Lol! In 2009 it was a boutique clothing store and ice cream shop masquerading as an outfitter. No one there knew what Tyvek was used for and hadn't stocked AquaMira in months......

I often wonder if the curmudgeon that ran the laundromat is still there.

Red Hat
05-09-2012, 20:46
Kent, CT for sure! Have to agree with Heartfire about most of CT. I hiked into one town on Sunday to find a church and there wasn't a single one there... fortunately a man with a collar came into the restaurant where I ate breakfast and took me to the nearest church several towns over. I liked Salisbury because Maria was fantastic.

Montana AT05
05-09-2012, 21:07
100% agree with any place or spot or inch of ground in Connecticut.

I'd like to see the AT routed around that state. The description "pretentious" doesn't even begin to do justice to the attitudes I've experienced there.

If I ever thru hike the AT again I will road walk around that state.

ON MY HANDS.

rocketsocks
05-09-2012, 21:11
No such thing as an unfriendly town,just unfriendly individuals.

Wise Old Owl
05-09-2012, 21:20
Welcome to the picturesque village of Boiling Springs. Beautiful scenery, fly fishing (http://www.boilingsprings.org/about/fishing/), the oldest public pool in Cumberland County (http://www.boilingsprings.org/boiling-springs-pool/), quaint Bed & Breakfasts (http://www.boilingsprings.org/about/bed-breakfast/), plus theatre (http://www.boilingsprings.org/allenberry-playhouse/) and local events (http://www.boilingsprings.org/events/). Founded in 1845*, but settled prior to 1737, Boiling Springs is a village that surrounds the Children’s Lake, right on the Appalachian Trail (http://www.appalachiantrail.org). The Memorial Clock Tower, erected in 1956 and the Boiling Springs (Grist) Mill, on record as early as 1785, are two landmarks in the village. The mill is one of, if not the most photographed building in the village.

http://www.boilingsprings.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/mill_small.jpg
Boiling Springs was also a site for the underground railroad before the civil war, a tourist destination in the early 1900′s, a stop along the Appalachian Trail. Now a location for small shops, art galleries (http://www.boilingsprings.org/about/galleries/), cafe’s and restaurants (http://www.boilingsprings.org/about/restaurants/), recreation and relaxation. Boiling Springs is a fantastic community of individuals that are inspired to create that small town feel and share it with anyone who visits.in

I find it interesting that this is their website

soilman
05-09-2012, 21:27
This is like asking what is your least favorite flavor of ice cream. I did not experience any unfriendly towns on my 2010 hike. In fact my experience in Salisbury, CT in 2010 was totally different than it was in 1976. In 1976 we hitched into town and the fellow that gave us a ride tried to get us to go to the next town. We were treated like we had cooties. But in 2010 I had a very enjoyable time there. Spent most of the afternoon hanging out outside the grocery talking with locals, getting interviewed by the paper, etc. I had heard from some other hikers that they had run into Alec Baldwin at the grocery and he autographed their Thru Hiker Companion. While we were sitting there, three hikers we knew came driving up in a Jeep. Apparently a women outside of town gave them the keys to her house and car and told them to make use of them while she went to therapy. Talk about trail magic. Also had a good time talking with the locals in Kent. I do agree that the laundry in Kent was not very hiker friendly.

Pony
05-09-2012, 21:28
I expected Kent to be "unfriendly". Instead it was the only town where someone stopped me to ask if I needed help finding anything in town. It happened twice to me in the same day. I think a lot of hikers just expect people in trail towns to bend over backwards to kiss hikers butts. The trail isn't the only thing going on in some towns.

Lone Wolf
05-09-2012, 22:07
No such thing as an unfriendly town,just unfriendly individuals.

agree. 5 thru-walks and 6000 other miles and i can say i never encountered unfriendliness. course i didn't act like i was special for bein' on vacation every town i came to

Lone Wolf
05-09-2012, 22:10
lots of whinin' about towns near the trail. stay in the woods. you're walkin' the AT. most hikers are arrogant jerks

Wise Old Owl
05-09-2012, 22:24
I agree with LW- stay in the woods if your social skills aren't up to smiling and small talk.

Montana AT05
05-09-2012, 22:59
You're a great teacher.

stranger
05-09-2012, 23:04
One of the best experiences I ever had was at Boiling Springs in 2001, I saddled up to the bar and drank about 15 glasses of beer watching the Stanley Cup Finals, the bartender kept filling up my glass, filling up the pretzels, etc...he stayed open late to let the game finish, then charged me about $18 haha, I threw $40 down on the bar and still made out like a bandit. Then crashed on the lawn of the B&B for $1...resupplied the next day and headed out. Great time.

CT is a pretentious state, no question, full of money and people who have money - which can SOMETIMES mean arrogant or unfriendly people, especially towards hikers. I have only hiked CT once and had no issues myself.

As for the best town...Hot Springs all the way. Damasus is nice, but Hot Springs wins any day for me! The only thing Damascus has over Hot Springs is the supermarket.

rocketsocks
05-10-2012, 00:47
I stayed at the Allenbury Inn in Boiling Springs back in 86'to fish the famed yellow britches creek.They use to run a fly fishing school there,the fellows that ran the classes were Joe Humphreys & Ed Shenk.I crashed a cast party after a play,and met some really cool people.Next morning I come strolling in all late and wrong,and ordering bloody Mary's for breakfast,Later Joe had signed a book for me that is inscribed "John don't let the snake bite you"and then drew a little trout,he told me I could come back anytime and just come on back down here by the creek.The owners of the Inn cut me a brake on my bill as well,on account of spending so much time at the bar.fond memories there.the rest I'll keep to myself.Honest to god,it took me 15 years to figure he wasn't talking about some snake in a creek.Joes fishing mentor and friend was George Harvey a renouned PA fly fisher man.

ki0eh
05-10-2012, 09:28
I used to live in B.S. and it is indeed a bedroom community for a larger metro with folks commuting to Harrisburg and Carlisle. People I remember on my street worked as concrete drillers, an environmental geologist, a GS-12 at the Army War College, violin-maker's apprentice, a probation officer, truck driver - not as hardscrabble as Duncannon but not great wealth either. On the Foundry Day craft festival (always coincides with National Trails Day, 1st Sat in June) the crowds are for the food stands not the juried crafts. The least friendly places are the tavern and the fly fishing outfitter which are unfortunately the closest to the Trail.

Story I heard was that the "midnight train" campsite was set there by students in a college exercise, when I attended CVATMA (now CVATC) meetings they mostly talked about who they could call next for the porta-pot since they had run through all the local suppliers who wouldn't come back due to vandalism. Any campsite is inherently too close to the road given the realities of the Cumberland Valley. I don't know if the campsite will be relocated south in the recently purchased property which would make it quieter, shadier, and a little further from the road-based vandals.

Stink Bug
05-10-2012, 09:48
My vote would go to Boiling Springs Pa. Did some hiker do something bad there in the past? I had trouble even talking to people. Even eye contact was being avoided. My guess is that the town itself is a bedroom community for a nearby city and is full of richer people. Perhaps as I move further North I will see more of this. I suppose I was spoiled by the towns further South. I could tell that the few retailers just wanted me to buy something then keep moving. The little hiker campground next to the tracks has that "keep moving" feel about it. Why else would they not even supply a picnic table for the camping spot? Next time I will stealth camp out in the valley and spend my money someplace else. Are there other places this un-friendly?

I passed through Boiling Springs last summer and had exactly the opposite experience, I thought it was a wonderful place. The pizza place was especially generous and, even though they were pretty busy, they offered to let my girlfriend and I sit in the AC after we'd had our - really excellent - meal.

Cookerhiker
05-10-2012, 10:40
.... most hikers are arrogant jerks

Now, now Wolf - didn't you mean to say "...most thru-hikers are arrogant jerks"?

Del Q
05-10-2012, 20:24
Kent, definitely ........... but for me, so far Port Clinton is up there................have hiked from Damascus to Franconia Notch. Not a friendly stop at all. Unless you like candy nothing there worth stopping for

coach lou
05-10-2012, 20:29
Lots of Connecticut bashing here, but what you don't realize is both Kent & Salisbury are ritzy antique selling towns habitated by folks from out of state that had all sorts of money. I can't live up there, I work for a living. Someone said something about getting some movie stars autograph, no movie stars in my town. Even when I go up there to ref the Prep school games, some folks look down there nose at me! WOO & The Wolf are talkin' truth, when we Nutmeggers come thru trail towns, you would'nt know unless we told you. I remember back in '81', I came out of the blue blaze at Sages ravine, yellow blazing back to my car at Salisbury. On Rt.41 was The Under Mountain Inn, we stopped and had beers and apple pie. The proprietor was all for us , "... come on in boys, put your packs here, have something to eat", 2 years later the same guy was totally different! "... no room for you hikers... move it on, no room for you!" Why? He didn't know I was a Connecticut boy, I was a hiker...................how's the treatment we get from those folks who run the AMC huts up in New Hampshire, if you don't have a reservation? Totally different down in SNP. Can't wait to see when the folks down south hear my Connecticut accent, Ha!!!!!!!!

Cookerhiker
05-10-2012, 20:35
........... but for me, so far Port Clinton is up there................have hiked from Damascus to Franconia Notch. Not a friendly stop at all. Unless you like candy nothing there worth stopping for

Oh but what about the huge portion of fries - even for the "small" order - at the Port Clinton Hotel.

Sarcasm the elf
05-10-2012, 20:44
Lots of Connecticut bashing here, but what you don't realize is both Kent & Salisbury are ritzy antique selling towns habitated by folks from out of state that had all sorts of money. I can't live up there, I work for a living. Someone said something about getting some movie stars autograph, no movie stars in my town. Even when I go up there to ref the Prep school games, some folks look down there nose at me! WOO & The Wolf are talkin' truth, when we Nutmeggers come thru trail towns, you would'nt know unless we told you. I remember back in '81', I came out of the blue blaze at Sages ravine, yellow blazing back to my car at Salisbury. On Rt.41 was The Under Mountain Inn, we stopped and had beers and apple pie. The proprietor was all for us , "... come on in boys, put your packs here, have something to eat", 2 years later the same guy was totally different! "... no room for you hikers... move it on, no room for you!" Why? He didn't know I was a Connecticut boy, I was a hiker...................how's the treatment we get from those folks who run the AMC huts up in New Hampshire, if you don't have a reservation? Totally different down in SNP. Can't wait to see when the folks down south hear my Connecticut accent, Ha!!!!!!!!Large parts of Litchfield county (where Kent, CT is located) are populated by rich New Yorkers that moved out of the city and think they are living in the "country." Like Coach Lou said, many of us nutmeggers haven't had the best experiences there either. Plenty of nice folks up there too, it just depends who you happen to run into when your in town.

Lou - I'm staying with friends in rural Georgia right now, my Yankee accent is throwing them all for a loop. ;-)

coach lou
05-10-2012, 20:50
Large parts of Litchfield county (where Kent, CT is located) are populated by rich New Yorkers that moved out of the city and think they are living in the "country." Like Coach Lou said, many of us nutmegers haven't had the best experiences there either. Plenty of nice folks up there too, it just depends who you happen to run into when your in town.Lou - I'm staying with friends in rural Georgia right now, my Yankee accent is throwing them all for a loop. ;-)
Elf, that's pretty funny. I'm on St. John right now, and had this conversation about accents with a women from Georgia, we both had a good laugh. Some day at some shelter, I'll tell you some tails about my fishin' trips to Montana.......folks look at me like I'm back in Japan!

JJJ
05-10-2012, 21:50
As for the best town...Hot Springs all the way. Damasus is nice, but Hot Springs wins any day for me! The only thing Damascus has over Hot Springs is the supermarket.

+1........

Montana Mac
05-10-2012, 21:51
Elf, that's pretty funny. I'm on St. John right now, and had this conversation about accents with a women from Georgia, we both had a good laugh. Some day at some shelter, I'll tell you some tails about my fishin' trips to Montana.......folks look at me like I'm back in Japan!

Coach

I moved from northwestern Conn to Montana and I'm a fishing guide. Hell we get people from all over the world.

Northwestern Conn is full of the rich and important, at least in their own mind. At one time Kissinger, Michael J Fox, Sam Waterston, Merylle Streep, Rodney Dangerfield, Whoopi Goldberg and on and on lived in the northwest corner.

Tinker
05-11-2012, 00:22
I went to the restaurant there in Boiling Springs just last year on my SOBO and they were fantastic. They let me park my smelly backpack in the foyer and everything. I had no issues and had great food.

Salisbury, CT is not sure what to do about hikers I could tell, but the PO there was great. Now the PO guy in Kent was NOT nice at all. People were staring at us with how rude he was to me. I just figured maybe he got burnt toast for breakfast. Yet I had a guy there in Kent offer his office computer to me to use (I politely declined) and the Chinese restaurant loved me (I was the only customer then). Sometimes one sour apple can make it tempting to ruin the batch (or the town).

I had a similar experience in Boiling Springs. I must have been hypoglycemic because I was somewhat confused and got lost looking for the washroom in the restaurant. The folks were very nice and helped me out without a snicker. I ate outside because I was pretty rank, and a man "God Bless You"d me as I was leaving. I was happy to return the phrase :D.

Connecticut was pretty much a blur to me as I did it in two sections and didn't have to resupply, though I did have a beer and snack in Kent. The waitstaff were professionally polite, but I could tell that they really didn't appreciate my hiker funk.

Tinker
05-11-2012, 00:25
My friend, Chatter, refers to Connecticut as Freneticut due to their driving habits. :D

Montana AT05
05-11-2012, 01:35
Coach

I moved from northwestern Conn to Montana and I'm a fishing guide. Hell we get people from all over the world.

Northwestern Conn is full of the rich and important, at least in their own mind. At one time Kissinger, Michael J Fox, Sam Waterston, Merylle Streep, Rodney Dangerfield, Whoopi Goldberg and on and on lived in the northwest corner.

Good move. I live in Bozeman, you? Can't wait for the trails to clear...still pretty snowy and muddy up in the mountains. We just got a day of snow here in Bozeman, more up higher. This will be the first summer I've stayed in town for years--was usually out hiking or working elsewhere. Looking forward to a full season here. A lot of folks from around the AT come out here in May or June, assuming temps will be similar...and are always shocked to trudge thru snow. Early CDT hikers especially. I really like the month of the May along the AT...especially Virginia. It brings out the boutique beards.

coach lou
05-11-2012, 06:48
Coach

Your a lucky person[?], I've wanted to do that since my first trip out. X left me in '06', after her first trip!....." Louis, I'm not your wilderness woman!!!!!" I had my stuff packed, waiting for spring, to fish my way across the US. In that fall I hooked up with a former love, we married. She showed up with 2 bicycles, 3 backpacks, and 2 young children! I went out and got them sleeping bags, bigger tent, fly rods... the whole-9....my new wilderness family!!!! So now I'll just keep flying out until they are grown. In the mean time the Mrs. and I are back on the AT, I just watch my speech when I hike below the Mason-Dixon line.
Tinker....I'm sorry, that green blur on I-95 was my fish-car!

fins1838
05-11-2012, 07:22
New Jersey. Those damn Sopranos! Always bustin balls.

stumpknocker
05-11-2012, 08:07
I have to say I felt welcomed to all the towns I went to along the AT....and any town on any other Trail I've walked.

Very rarely there might be a person in a town that's not very friendly....but I can also say the same thing about hikers I meet on the trail.

Kerosene
05-11-2012, 09:29
Salisbury, CT was very hospitable to me and my two hiking partners when we hiked through in early April 1975. The Episcopal church let us sleep on the floor of their Sunday school building. Kent, on the other hand, was uninviting even back then, and still was when I visited about 10 years ago.

Velvet Gooch
05-11-2012, 09:36
The town in which you act most like a jackass. It's true

wookinpanub
05-11-2012, 10:12
I southbound thru-ed way back in 1990 and Elk Park, NC was not very hospitable at that time. Locals had burned a shelter and (rumor had it) dumped some chemicals in a water source in the area. I was solo and when I got to the area there were signs put up by the USFS instructing hikers not to hike alone, not to stop, and not to go into town. I had a maildrop in Elk Park and couldn't do much in the way of heeding their suggestions. I got harassed by some locals outside the post office, and to tell the truth, the whole thing shook me up a bit. I think there was a situation where the AT had claimed some trail land through eminent domain and the locals were unhappy. Hopefully, that's all water under the bridge, now.

Pancake5765
05-11-2012, 17:29
No time in a town North or South around the trail have I had a "bad" encounter. But it is funny to see all the hate on Connecticut, I've lived there from 1 to 25, just recently moving to Denver. Kent and the other towns are all some of the most expensive in the state anywhere for sure, but I will admit we have a different attitude to strangers. Within just 100 miles of us is over 8 million people plus NYC, it gives you a tough social filter. I know people in Denver here think I'm mad at them or pissed off a lot, when I'm happy as a clam.

Del Q
05-11-2012, 18:23
Cookerhiker...............did not want to isolate the hotel, I was cold, wet and hungry, no water, the guy at the Port Clinton Hotel was not kind, was their off day, rooms only, restaurant not open to others, just wanted a meal and food and willing to pay $$$...........firm NO

No biggie, just moved on..............am sure that some hikers stain trail towns for various reasons, get that, if I owned a business in a small trail town might feel the same but at the same time, $$$ is $$$

Skyline
05-11-2012, 18:50
I think it's a tie between:

•Elk Park NC
•Kent CT
•Great Barrington MA

coach lou
05-11-2012, 18:58
I think it's a tie between:

•Elk Park NC
•Kent CT
•Great Barrington MA
Back many moons ago my friends and I walked into a local breakfast joint in Great Barrington, to get something to eat. The old bat looked at us and said......." well look at this!" I just smiled at her gave her money.

Amanita
05-12-2012, 10:58
Great Barrington seemed pretty nice to me. I spent the afternoon reading on a park bench, someone pulled over and asked if I needed a ride back to the trail. The pizza place was good, and the waitress had lots of questions about my hike. And Dunkin Doughnuts let me stay after they closed (while they mopped up ect). I was getting off at the end of a section and my ride didn't get there until after 10pm, so I spent most of the day relaxing around town. Oh and another section I parked my car by the trail, it ended up being about 2am when I got back to it. A cop saw my lights on and pulled in to make sure everything/one was okay.

It all comes down to personal experience.

RichardD
05-12-2012, 16:46
The only bad stop for me was Culvers Gap, New Jersey. The only place open when I got there was Joes Coffee shop, guidebook warned it was unfriendly, they were not kidding, the guy is insane in my view.
I bought coffee, breakfast and some snacks, all good. Sometime later I asked if I could fill my water bottle, the guy went nuts and ordered me out of his establishment with many obscenities along with my hiking friend. I have never in my life been thrown out of anywhere until this. Both my hiking friend and I are polite respectful considerate people, there was absoltely no reason for his outburst but from what I hear its commonplace.
It would be wrong to say that the town is unfriendly based on this one person but it definitely left me with a bad feeling for the place and New Jersey in general.
My stops at all other trail towns were very positive and enjoyable.

Don H
05-12-2012, 19:06
I've been in Joe to Go in Culver Gap twice and never had a problem although I've heard others have. Went in there last year and met a local couple who buy breakfast in there every morning and live a few house behind the deli. They invited me to their house for breakfast which was very kind. They said he's generally a nice guy but sometimes flips out over seemingly simple things. He does makes some great subs.

mateozzz
05-12-2012, 19:32
It would probably help if so many hikers didn't look like hobos.

WIAPilot
05-12-2012, 20:05
It would probably help if so many hikers didn't look like hobos.

How should these guys look after 1,000 miles on the trail?! Joe is in business and a lot of his business comes from the AT. Behavior like that is simply unwarranted.

Montana Mac
05-12-2012, 20:38
I also was treated decently and had a good meal at Joe's. Just goes to show you can't prejudge a place based on someone elses experience

RichardD
05-12-2012, 22:41
Joes treatment of me was totally unacceptable and totally uncalled for. Mateozz, by the timing of your post do you assume I look like a Hobo?
You haven't a clue!! and your dead wrong.

dperry
05-12-2012, 22:42
Outfitter? Lol! In 2009 it was a boutique clothing store and ice cream shop masquerading as an outfitter. No one there knew what Tyvek was used for and hadn't stocked AquaMira in months......

I often wonder if the curmudgeon that ran the laundromat is still there.

Interesting; last weekend, we got a shuttle from Hoyt Rd to NY 22 with the male half of the ownership and his version was that business collapsed with the financial crisis a couple of years ago and has never recovered. (That's when he started doing shuttles.) He said that the ice cream store was what was keeping them alive. I guess there are two sides to every story (and some of both may be true. . .:-?)

The only complaint I had about CT was the outfitter in Kent at the time required a $20 minimum to use your charge card (which is against the merchant user agreement).

Also interesting, because he was going to charge $45 for the shuttle, but when I told him I only had $20's and he didn't have any change, he just took $40. (although that was on him, of course, for not having change. . .)

tdoczi
05-13-2012, 07:28
I've been in Joe to Go in Culver Gap twice and never had a problem although I've heard others have. Went in there last year and met a local couple who buy breakfast in there every morning and live a few house behind the deli. They invited me to their house for breakfast which was very kind. They said he's generally a nice guy but sometimes flips out over seemingly simple things. He does makes some great subs.

in your normal day to day life do you walk into a place of business and ask to fill up water bottles? no, probably not. so why do you think being a hiker makes it ok to ask such a thing? not saying he didnt over react, but he probably gets requests for special treatment from hikers all the time and is sick of it. frankly i would be too.

tdoczi
05-13-2012, 07:28
in your normal day to day life do you walk into a place of business and ask to fill up water bottles? no, probably not. so why do you think being a hiker makes it ok to ask such a thing? not saying he didnt over react, but he probably gets requests for special treatment from hikers all the time and is sick of it. frankly i would be too.

replied to wrong post, ehh, whatever.

rocketsocks
05-13-2012, 08:02
The only bad stop for me was Culvers Gap, New Jersey. The only place open when I got there was Joes Coffee shop, guidebook warned it was unfriendly, they were not kidding, the guy is insane in my view.
I bought coffee, breakfast and some snacks, all good. Sometime later I asked if I could fill my water bottle, the guy went nuts and ordered me out of his establishment with many obscenities along with my hiking friend. I have never in my life been thrown out of anywhere until this. Both my hiking friend and I are polite respectful considerate people, there was absoltely no reason for his outburst but from what I hear its commonplace.
It would be wrong to say that the town is unfriendly based on this one person but it definitely left me with a bad feeling for the place and New Jersey in general.
My stops at all other trail towns were very positive and enjoyable.Well,I don't know this fella,but yes It sounds like you had a very bad expeience.Sounds that that fella is tired of hikers in general,and problbly wont change anytime soon,and I'm sure he must know his name is in a book,which most likely furhter infuriates the situation,and I'm am supprised to hear that:-?.....which book is that exactly?cause that ain't cool :(IMHO,That kind of info is something that could be in a trail log/or word of mouth....not published in a "guide book".I hope that is what your saying here,was it a trail log...?

rocketsocks
05-13-2012, 08:46
Well,I don't know this fella,but yes It sounds like you had a very bad experience.Sounds that that fella is tired of hikers in general,and probably wont change anytime soon,and I'm sure he must know his name is in a book,which most likely further infuriates the situation,and I'm am surprised to hear that:-?.....which book is that exactly?cause that ain't cool :(IMHO,That kind of info is something that could be in a trail log/or word of mouth....not published in a "guide book".I hope that is what your saying here,was it a trail log...?Ok,I just looked in The A.T. Guide 2012,Appalachian Trail Thru-Hikers Companion 2012,and the Appalachian Trail Guide New York-New Jersey seventeenth edition 2012,and sixteenth edition2007,and did not see anything referring to Joe's coffee shop in Culvers Gap NJ and them being unfriendly.But in The A.T. Guide book,page 129 it says Joe to Go Leave pack on bench outside.Perhaps that is what you've read.Nothing wrong in publishing that,or even placeing "stars" on a reveiw to denote quality of service.Please get back to me on this.Thanks

Don H
05-13-2012, 09:16
The AT Guide, 2011 edition, page 127: "Joe To Go, just west of the trail, has been unwelcoming to hikers in the past".

The couple that I met at Joe's and took me home for breakfast had just got married the day before and had their wedding reception at their home. They had all kinds of left over food. They offered me BBQ ribs, burgers, cake and ice cream, more than I could eat. I left Culver's Gap very happy but the climb out of the gap was kinda slow ;)

WIAPilot
05-13-2012, 09:20
Ok,I just looked in The A.T. Guide 2012,Appalachian Trail Thru-Hikers Companion 2012,and the Appalachian Trail Guide New York-New Jersey seventeenth edition 2012,and sixteenth edition2007,and did not see anything referring to Joe's coffee shop in Culvers Gap NJ and them being unfriendly.But in The A.T. Guide book,page 129 it says Joe to Go Leave pack on bench outside.Perhaps that is what you've read.Nothing wrong in publishing that,or even placeing "stars" on a reveiw to denote quality of service.Please get back to me on this.Thanks

I think it would be a great idea to rate hostels, hotels, and dining establishments. With the new AT apps coming out, they could have something like Trip Advisor. It would definitely be a good selling point for the 2013 A.T. Guide. (AWOL are you out there?? 2013 is my year!:))

I have to say that I will not be leaving my pack on any restaurant bench. Now maybe that is frequently done on the trail, but if so I won't be following the rules. Call me jaded; call me cynical, but in this economy my pack has too many expensive items to be so trusting. Forget even the money. How about irreplaceable items like camera and journal? Even if equipment is cheap, for most of the hikers who own them - it would mean the end of their journey if they had to replace them.

In full disclosure, I haven't met this Joe. But if he is going off because some hiker (or lots of hikers) asked to refill their water, he is in the wrong business! Hotels and restaurants are service-oriented businesses. He knows by now that he has many hikers who support his business, which is customer-driven. Just even from a human kindness point of view, he sounds like a jerk.

I frankly don't care if he is pleasant to 90% of the hikers out there. I don't intend to be one of the 10%.

rocketsocks
05-13-2012, 09:49
The AT Guide, 2011 edition, page 127: "Joe To Go, just west of the trail, has been unwelcoming to hikers in the past".

The couple that I met at Joe's and took me home for breakfast had just got married the day before and had their wedding reception at their home. They had all kinds of left over food. They offered me BBQ ribs, burgers, cake and ice cream, more than I could eat. I left Culver's Gap very happy but the climb out of the gap was kinda slow ;)Thanks don,Apparently someone has decided that the language used in the earlier book,should be reworded,of coarse not all would agree with me on this,and thats cool,but I just don't see that placing bad press in a guide book bodes very well for the hiker community,and apparently so did the editor,as it has since been changed.A couple months ago I had made a comment about not telling a store owner off,when service was refused for whatever reason(no packs in the store),after having been informed that this was not wise,and would only help to inflame the stigma associated with hikers in general,I came to the conclusion that telling one of the owners of a trail town establishment where the monkey put the peanut was not the way that situation should be handled.Like wise bad press can only cause resentment for the community,and probably not bring a good change.imho

Montana Mac
05-13-2012, 10:24
I think it would be a great idea to rate hostels, hotels, and dining establishments. With the new AT apps coming out, they could have something like Trip Advisor. It would definitely be a good selling point for the 2013 A.T. Guide. (AWOL are you out there?? 2013 is my year!:))

I have to say that I will not be leaving my pack on any restaurant bench. Now maybe that is frequently done on the trail, but if so I won't be following the rules. Call me jaded; call me cynical, but in this economy my pack has too many expensive items to be so trusting. Forget even the money. How about irreplaceable items like camera and journal? Even if equipment is cheap, for most of the hikers who own them - it would mean the end of their journey if they had to replace them.

In full disclosure, I haven't met this Joe. But if he is going off because some hiker (or lots of hikers) asked to refill their water, he is in the wrong business! Hotels and restaurants are service-oriented businesses. He knows by now that he has many hikers who support his business, which is customer-driven. Just even from a human kindness point of view, he sounds like a jerk.

I frankly don't care if he is pleasant to 90% of the hikers out there. I don't intend to be one of the 10%.

I can understand his request for leaving the packs outside. Once you get that far north your pack is going to stink! This is a place where people come to eat and who, besides hikers, want to smell someone's foul smelling pack when they are trying to eat breakfast. Also the interior of this place isn't that big. I ordered my food and sat outside next to my pack and enjoyed the time to relax and eat.

Also I don't believe that hikers are the majority of his business. Yes, even if they aren't, he should treat everybody he allows in with respect.

Again I can only say based on my experience I would stop there again.

About_Time
05-13-2012, 10:29

As I recall, Joe to Go was a very small establishment in a pretty busy little area. There were other options just up the street. They'd probably had previous issues with hikers insisting on bringing in their packs when there isn't room for them. The amount of their revenue from hikers is likely so small, they're more likely concerned about hikers driving off their regular customers.

Leaving the packs outside is pretty standard. I even recall a sign in Virginia indicating it was a state law. The businesses that serve the AT tend to be pretty small and walking around inside with a pack is just an accident waiting to happen. I don't recall a single restaurant where I couldn't get a seat with a view of my pack or any store that was so big that I couldn't "keep an eye" on my pack.

As a courtesy, you should simply ask either before enterring an establishment or as soon as possible after walking through the door. You'll never see the store owner again, so you can treat them however you wish or you can realize that your actions help to form the stereotype that the shop owner will use on all future hikers.

Just MHO.....

WIAPilot
05-13-2012, 10:48
Thanks don,Apparently someone has decided that the language used in the earlier book,should be reworded,of coarse not all would agree with me on this,and thats cool,but I just don't see that placing bad press in a guide book bodes very well for the hiker community,and apparently so did the editor,as it has since been changed.A couple months ago I had made a comment about not telling a store owner off,when service was refused for whatever reason(no packs in the store),after having been informed that this was not wise,and would only help to inflame the stigma associated with hikers in general,I came to the conclusion that telling one of the owners of a trail town establishment where the monkey put the peanut was not the way that situation should be handled.Like wise bad press can only cause resentment for the community,and probably not bring a good change.imho

Rocketsocks: First I want to say that I haven't heard very many bad stories about the various businesses. I know that I'm new; I know that I haven't been out there yet. I also respect your commitment to WB. Now next year, I may return and tell you how wrong I have been, but these are my views right now. I would personally really want to know what areas to avoid. AT hikers are spending thousands of dollars on the trail. I understand the delicate balance between not so highly rated establishments and having them pull out completely so that there soon are no establishments in certain areas.

I still want to know. Because if I know that a hostel or hotel or restaurant isn't so great, I'm taking my business elsewhere. And if there are no other hostels or supply areas, I'm either doing more Dropboxes or stocking up more at previous towns or camping outside.

What I personally have been doing is using Trip Advisor and other reviews to check out the hotels, hostels, and restaurants. I'm just not randomly selecting where I want to stay and eat.

To me this is all about the journey and to some degree about the restaurants and hostels that we choose. There are wonderful stories about some fantastic establishments. Likewise, there are a few bad places that stay with a hiker forever, too.

Stores that forbid backpacks have probably encountered shoplifting or damage and that is sad. They have to protect themselves, but surely a compromise can be made where packs can be placed behind the counter or a security camera can be installed in case a pack is stolen?

I just want each place to be the best I can find. And if it isn't, it won't be because I didn't do my homework. To me, this is HYOH and this is my way - but it isn't everyone's.

Moose2001
05-13-2012, 10:52
I've been in Joe to Go twice and was treated well both times. Had a nice talk with the owner, some good food and a pleasant stop. IMHO, most bad treatement hikers get is a respone to the poor attitude and sense of entitlement they walk through the door with.

Montana Mac
05-13-2012, 11:10
Rocketsocks: First I want to say that I haven't heard very many bad stories about the various businesses. I know that I'm new; I know that I haven't been out there yet. I also respect your commitment to WB. Now next year, I may return and tell you how wrong I have been, but these are my views right now. I would personally really want to know what areas to avoid. AT hikers are spending thousands of dollars on the trail. I understand the delicate balance between not so highly rated establishments and having them pull out completely so that there soon are no establishments in certain areas.

I still want to know. Because if I know that a hostel or hotel or restaurant isn't so great, I'm taking my business elsewhere. And if there are no other hostels or supply areas, I'm either doing more Dropboxes or stocking up more at previous towns or camping outside.

What I personally have been doing is using Trip Advisor and other reviews to check out the hotels, hostels, and restaurants. I'm just not randomly selecting where I want to stay and eat.

To me this is all about the journey and to some degree about the restaurants and hostels that we choose. There are wonderful stories about some fantastic establishments. Likewise, there are a few bad places that stay with a hiker forever, too.

Stores that forbid backpacks have probably encountered shoplifting or damage and that is sad. They have to protect themselves, but surely a compromise can be made where packs can be placed behind the counter or a security camera can be installed in case a pack is stolen?

I just want each place to be the best I can find. And if it isn't, it won't be because I didn't do my homework. To me, this is HYOH and this is my way - but it isn't everyone's.

WIAPilot

It is not uncommon for hikers to take extra sugar, salt, pepper and ketchup packs from restaurants. I also know of hikers that use the restroom and roll off a bunch of extra TP or just take the entire roll. For some reason they think they have some type of “entitlement” to these things just because they are “thru hiking”.

Like everything else in life it just takes a few to give everybody else that hikes a bad reputation. If I owned a business that was used by hikers I would want the packs left outside unless hikers were my primary business focus.

If you are worried about your pack when shopping, shop with a buddy and take turns watching the packs.

Straying off the subject but relating to your concern about packs – be careful when hitching. Never place your pack into the back of a pickup without getting in with it or into a backseat. There are stories of people that do this and the vehicle speeds off before you can get in.

Also not every hiker you meet in the woods will be 100% honest.

WIAPilot
05-13-2012, 11:11
THIS is why I like WB. Just when I think that I know what I need to know about the AT, I learn something new. I have learned that I will probably not be eating at a lot of restaurants or going into a lot of stores unless I'm at a hotel or hostel and have parked my pack. I cannot fathom a State Law that requires that packs are left outside. I know a few attorneys in VA so I'll check.

But I really appreciate everyone informing me of this because now I know what I will need to do. Either do without, park my packs at a hotel, appeal to the owners of the establishment or get more Dropboxes.

I think the only entitlement I have is the right to protect my gear. I mean there are some hikers who are ponying up thousands of dollars in equipment. One guy I talked to today is spending $700+ on his tent alone.

And Montana, you are right. Hikers like that really do give us all a bad name. Also, thanks for the tip on hitch hiking.

Cookerhiker
05-13-2012, 11:21
....The couple that I met at Joe's and took me home for breakfast had just got married the day before and had their wedding reception at their home. They had all kinds of left over food. They offered me BBQ ribs, burgers, cake and ice cream, more than I could eat. I left Culver's Gap very happy but the climb out of the gap was kinda slow ;)

Talk about being at the right place at the right time!! Now that's real Trail Magic!

Blue Jay
05-13-2012, 11:23
A couple months ago I had made a comment about not telling a store owner off,when service was refused for whatever reason(no packs in the store),after having been informed that this was not wise,and would only help to inflame the stigma associated with hikers in general,I came to the conclusion that telling one of the owners of a trail town establishment where the monkey put the peanut was not the way that situation should be handled.Like wise bad press can only cause resentment for the community,and probably not bring a good change.imho

Great post. Perhaps many of the complaints listed here happened directly after a low class hiker was in town.
Quite often hikers are their own worst enemy. I've seen this happen far more than low class townspeople.

Cookerhiker
05-13-2012, 11:28
What it comes down to is Joe can run his business as he sees fit. If he alienates some hikers, his actions may be understandable or they may be unreasonable but it really doesn't matter; it's his business.

...It is not uncommon for hikers to take extra sugar, salt, pepper and ketchup packs from restaurants. I also know of hikers that use the restroom and roll off a bunch of extra TP or just take the entire roll. For some reason they think they have some type of “entitlement” to these things just because they are “thru hiking”......

Unfortunately this theft is even suggested and encouraged by some on WhiteBlaze.

Lone Wolf
05-13-2012, 11:46
WIAPilot

It is not uncommon for hikers to take extra sugar, salt, pepper and ketchup packs from restaurants. I also know of hikers that use the restroom and roll off a bunch of extra TP or just take the entire roll. For some reason they think they have some type of “entitlement” to these things just because they are “thru hiking”.

Mojoes coffee shop in Damascus stopped putting out Sugar in the Raw packets cuz hikers steal them all. jerks

WIAPilot
05-13-2012, 11:51
Mojoes coffee shop in Damascus stopped putting out Sugar in the Raw packets cuz hikers steal them all. jerks

Totally lame. Like if nothing else, ask the owner or manager if you can buy 10 packets or so.

RichardD
05-13-2012, 12:54
Brings to mind Uncle Johnies at Erwin. As I was checking out I aked if I could buy a toilet roll from him, his face lit up, he was delighted that I offered to buy one, he said almost everyone else just helped themselves. It looked like it made his day.
By the way, re joes. Packs left outside on bench as requested by the sign, we were showered that morning and washed clothes, freshly shaved that morning. Spent about $10 on breakfast and snacks, my hiking buddy likewise. (the food was good) I waited until noone was in line and he had no food in prep when I politely asked if he could refill my water bottle from the faucet. He could have said no, I sell bottled water, and everything would have been fine, instead he hurled obscenities at me. As I said completely unacceptable and unwarranted. At the time of day it was the only place open with food. The guidebook did warn about this place being unfriendly to hikers, I dont have the page any more so cant check exacr wording.
I found a fishing store open nearby and they very graciously let me fill my water bottle, usually being polite brings a similar polite friendly response.

Montana Mac
05-13-2012, 13:19
Brings to mind Uncle Johnies at Erwin. As I was checking out I aked if I could buy a toilet roll from him, his face lit up, he was delighted that I offered to buy one, he said almost everyone else just helped themselves. It looked like it made his day.
By the way, re joes. Packs left outside on bench as requested by the sign, we were showered that morning and washed clothes, freshly shaved that morning. Spent about $10 on breakfast and snacks, my hiking buddy likewise. (the food was good) I waited until noone was in line and he had no food in prep when I politely asked if he could refill my water bottle from the faucet. He could have said no, I sell bottled water, and everything would have been fine, instead he hurled obscenities at me. As I said completely unacceptable and unwarranted. At the time of day it was the only place open with food. The guidebook did warn about this place being unfriendly to hikers, I dont have the page any more so cant check exacr wording.
I found a fishing store open nearby and they very graciously let me fill my water bottle, usually being polite brings a similar polite friendly response.

My Appalachian Pages (2008 edition - page 96) states

US Rte 206 (Culvers Gap)
Owner of the business nearest the trail asked to be excluded from listing.

RichardD
05-13-2012, 13:30
This was it: The AT Guide, 2011 edition, page 127: "Joe To Go, just west of the trail, has been unwelcoming to hikers in the past".

tdoczi
05-13-2012, 13:54

as a non hiker would you ever walk into a store like that and make such a request? i would not. therefore i wouldnt do it as a hiker either. not saying hurled obscenities were warranted or appropriate, but the guy probably deals with stuff like that all the time and is tired of it.

Sarcasm the elf
05-13-2012, 14:17
as a non hiker would you ever walk into a store like that and make such a request? i would not. therefore i wouldnt do it as a hiker either. not saying hurled obscenities were warranted or appropriate, but the guy probably deals with stuff like that all the time and is tired of it.In my daily life I frequently ask for an extra glass of water or ask if it is okay to use an outside spigot to get water for my dog. I've never seen a problem with requesting a favor when you are a polite, paying (and tipping) customer. I don't think I've ever asked someone to refill my water bladder from an internal faucet, but I don't think that doing so would be terribly out of line. Just remember stores dont have to honor special requests and if they do it warrants a decent tip.

RichardD
05-13-2012, 14:30
Did not just walk in and ask to fill my water bottle, I bought breakfast. Had he had a bathroom I would have filled it myself.
The fishing store was very helpfull to me, I had to get some water before leaving the gap and they were very obliging and understanding, it was hot, midsummer and water had dried up at many of the sources, not that that is the store owners problem.
I would not have been bothered if he just said no, a bit suprised maybe, but that is his perogative.

max patch
05-13-2012, 14:35
I don't see anything wrong with a paying customer asking for some tap water.

I did it myself once. Bought some fried chicken at a gas station convenience store and asked the clerk if she would fill my water bottle. Not only did she do it, but she even added ice to it.

max patch
05-13-2012, 14:41
Re packs in a restaurant; as a practical matter MOST (but not all) of the time your pack will be at a hostel or hotel so the issue is moot most of the time.

rocketsocks
05-13-2012, 15:11
Great post. Perhaps many of the complaints listed here happened directly after a low class hiker was in town.
Quite often hikers are their own worst enemy. I've seen this happen far more than low class townspeople.Thanks Blue Jay,But I need to make this clear,and it kinda reads like it was my idea to not tell an owner off.That's not how that thread an post went down.As I recall,I had said,that I would not leave my pack out side for any reason,and if they(owner)didn't like it,they could just (and here's the part where I took some heat)"----It".After comments from a few people telling me how this would not be a good idea,and it would not bode well for the hikers that came after me.So after consideration,came to the conclusion that this is not the way this hypothetical situation should be handled,and retracted my statement,Thanks,my apologies for steering this post off coarse a little bit,though I feel this is a dialog that has not only been productive,but needed happen.respectfully RS

WIAPilot
05-13-2012, 18:58
as a non hiker would you ever walk into a store like that and make such a request? i would not. therefore i wouldnt do it as a hiker either. not saying hurled obscenities were warranted or appropriate, but the guy probably deals with stuff like that all the time and is tired of it.

I would not think twice about politely requesting water. This man is clearly in the wrong profession if a simple request for water from a paying customer gets him upset. Absolutely no excuse in the world for obscenities in a situation such as this.

As for the pack, I would try to work it out with the management if they had problems with me bringing my pack in. I would never tell them to just stuff it, but I would leave if need be. Bottom line is that it IS their establishment, but it doesn't mean that I have to financially support it. Why would I want to fill my hike with toxic people? Bottom line is that most restaurants have seen a decline in business due to the economy in recent years. They need to earn my business.

Having said that, I would be the first to speak out against hikers who help themselves to sugar, etc. in their mind, they probably feel that they're paying for it with their meal. To me, theft is theft.

Sandy of PA
05-13-2012, 21:29
Joe has plenty of cold water in gallon jugs for SALE in his cooler, why should he GIVE it away?

RichardD
05-13-2012, 21:40
He could have told me that and I would have gladly bought some, but he did not he just started yelling obscenities

soilman
05-13-2012, 21:56
Joe does not just treat hikers poorly. When I was there in 2010 I was outside talking with a couple of locals when he came out and cussed out his neighbors. They were having a yard sale and some of their customers parked in his lot. Later he came flying out and cussed at a couple of church vans who stopped along the highway in front of his establishment.

Papa D
05-13-2012, 22:09

so not true - Kent is pricy but the Fife and Drum has a welcoming little bar and reasonable hostel rates (for the area) - there are a couple of great breakfast spots too. CT is ok.

WIAPilot
05-13-2012, 22:16
Joe has plenty of cold water in gallon jugs for SALE in his cooler, why should he GIVE it away?

If I saw gallon jugs for sale, of course I would buy them. But NOTHING excuses the manner in which this man treats hikers, customers, and neighbors. I am sure that he treats some people very well. But there are too many people who have spoken out against him for me not to believe that this does ooccur. The guy sounds like a big bully.

tdoczi
05-14-2012, 00:14

exactly. if you walked into your neighborhood convenience store and bought something to eat and aked the cashier to fill up your water bottle for you he probably think you were bonkers. but if youre a hiker and its hot out and the store is near the trail then its ok to do so? if is aw water for sale i would just buy it and not even bother asking. whatever happened to just taking care of yourself instead of asking for favors?

WIAPilot
05-14-2012, 01:56
exactly. if you walked into your neighborhood convenience store and bought something to eat and aked the cashier to fill up your water bottle for you he probably think you were bonkers. but if youre a hiker and its hot out and the store is near the trail then its ok to do so? if is aw water for sale i would just buy it and not even bother asking. whatever happened to just taking care of yourself instead of asking for favors?

I have to disagree. This business owner (of a service-oriented restaurant) is not your local convenience store. He is located near the Appalachian Trail. He obviously knew the location when he purchased the place. He receives FREE ADVERTISING in the A.T. Guide Book, for God's sake!! If he sells the water, which seems fair, he needs to have a sign displaying this fact. Now if a poor (literally in most cases), hot, tired, and sweaty hiker "bothers" him for water after he has already paid good money to eat at his restaurant and for some reason doesn't see the sign - all this guy needs to do is point to the sign and say, "Sorry, but I would be glad to sell you a gallon of water." There is absolutely no excuse for customers to be treated to an onslaught of profanity - and I would tell it to this blowhard's face. Oh wait. I am passing right by him....LOL (Just kidding. God forbid that I disrupt the Hiker Community.)

Bottom line? If he doesn't want to deal with the basic requests of hikers, he should ask that his restaurant be removed from the A.T. Guide.

Lone Wolf
05-14-2012, 06:03

agree. there's water on the trail north and south of the business

tdoczi
05-14-2012, 07:52
I have to disagree. This business owner (of a service-oriented restaurant) is not your local convenience store. He is located near the Appalachian Trail. He obviously knew the location when he purchased the place. He receives FREE ADVERTISING in the A.T. Guide Book, for God's sake!! If he sells the water, which seems fair, he needs to have a sign displaying this fact. Now if a poor (literally in most cases), hot, tired, and sweaty hiker "bothers" him for water after he has already paid good money to eat at his restaurant and for some reason doesn't see the sign - all this guy needs to do is point to the sign and say, "Sorry, but I would be glad to sell you a gallon of water." There is absolutely no excuse for customers to be treated to an onslaught of profanity - and I would tell it to this blowhard's face. Oh wait. I am passing right by him....LOL (Just kidding. God forbid that I disrupt the Hiker Community.)

Bottom line? If he doesn't want to deal with the basic requests of hikers, he should ask that his restaurant be removed from the A.T. Guide.

ive never been to this palce myself, is it a restaurant? like sit down and get served by a waiter? sounds more to me like a counter that sells coffee and simple items. the fact that someone said he doesnt have a bathroom is highly indicative of this. so is the name "to go" even still, try eating at any resturant anywhere and producing a nalgene and asking someone to fil, it for you. also, is he in the guide voluntarily? it would seem not if the guide also tells people to avoid going there essentially.

again, the profanity was overboard, no argument. but IMO the guy is probably tired of constantly receiving what i think in fact are unreasonable requests. i bet if i were to walk in there as a hiker and buy something to eat and a couple of bottles of water he'd be perfectly nice to me.

lemon b
05-14-2012, 08:14
We live in a free market society. How someone runs their business is none of mine. Where I do my business is my choice. I never judge a barrel based on one apple.

Don H
05-14-2012, 08:22
Joe's is a carry out deli with no place to sit inside and eat. He has a bench on the side of the building and a sign in front directing hikers to leave packs on the bench. He sells water, although I didn't notice gallons. I bet I spent $20 in there last time, 2 subs, candy, soda, you know, hiker food! I didn't ask for water. He was fine with me during both my visits.

If you read some of the other threads here you'll see that the owner has had an ongoing problem dealing with hikers for several years.

From information I got from the locals the owner has had many run ins with the law relating to his anger issues with both hikers and locals. I heard a story about a large kitchen knife and a hiker who insisted that he bring his pack inside. The local PD were called, no charges were filed. On both my trips through that area I had hikers warn me about Joe's.

Last year he had a hiker figure painted on his front window and a sign that said "Hikers Welcome".

WIAPilot
05-14-2012, 09:28
Joe's is a carry out deli with no place to sit inside and eat. He has a bench on the side of the building and a sign in front directing hikers to leave packs on the bench. He sells water, although I didn't notice gallons. I bet I spent $20 in there last time, 2 subs, candy, soda, you know, hiker food! I didn't ask for water. He was fine with me during both my visits.

If you read some of the other threads here you'll see that the owner has had an ongoing problem dealing with hikers for several years.

From information I got from the locals the owner has had many run ins with the law relating to his anger issues with both hikers and locals. I heard a story about a large kitchen knife and a hiker who insisted that he bring his pack inside. The local PD were called, no charges were filed. On both my trips through that area I had hikers warn me about Joe's.

Last year he had a hiker figure painted on his front window and a sign that said "Hikers Welcome".

Last year was when the AT Guide stated that he had been unwelcoming to hikers in the past, right? Probably saw a drop in business as a result! Well, my philosophy is "why bother with blowhards like this?" There are too many good, decent, and kind business owners out there. I somehow think, however, that if the ones who act like it was the hiker's fault that Joe cussed him out, had been on the receiving end of his wrath - they would be yelling the loudest...

Slimer
05-14-2012, 10:33
My vote goes to the entire state of Connecticut.
Something is wrong with those people.

tdoczi
05-14-2012, 10:38
Last year was when the AT Guide stated that he had been unwelcoming to hikers in the past, right? Probably saw a drop in business as a result! Well, my philosophy is "why bother with blowhards like this?" There are too many good, decent, and kind business owners out there. I somehow think, however, that if the hikers supporting this guy had been on the receiving end of his wrath - they would be yelling the loudest...

i would never ask him or any other business owner to fill a water bottle for me or to do anything else that every other customer wouldnt do, so i doubt he would ever flip out on me, and if he did this to many of his normal customers he wouldnt be in business any longer.

i think hikers get to used to hiking in places where they are catered to down south or in northern NE and forgot how to behave like any other customer. joe's is not there to serve the trail, he doesnt have to be and there is no extra responsibility on his part that comes with the coincidence that the trail is nearby. act like any other normal customer and i doubt thered be a problem.

Lone Wolf
05-14-2012, 10:40
hikers are fond of bringing in outside food and drinks into restaurants. not cool at all

WIAPilot
05-14-2012, 10:42
Tdoczi - LOL You're probably his cousin...:p

And LW -That may be the case, but not in this situation. We're talking about a man who picks up a carving knife on a customer and has the cops called. A man who has repeatedly yelled and cussed at hikers, customers and neighbors. I get that you feel a need to stand up for business owners in the trail towns, but I think that your energies are misdirected on this guy. At any rate, let's agree to disagree as this has been hashed to death...

Montana Mac
05-14-2012, 11:33

Tdoczi - LOL You're probably his cousin...:p

And LW -That may be the case, but not in this situation. We're talking about a man who picks up a carving knife on a customer and has the cops called. A man who has repeatedly yelled and cussed at hikers, customers and neighbors. I get that you feel a need to stand up for business owners in the trail towns, but I think that your energies are misdirected on this guy. At any rate, let's agree to disagree as this has been hashed to death...

Interesting how when the rumor mill spreads stories how they grow and change. One thing I have learned over the years is that there are three sides to every story. Yours, mine and the truth. Not implying anybody is lying but that we just perceive every situation differently.

It is pretty apparent that some people have had a problem with the business but it also a fact others have been there without any type of problem. I guess the point is that we have flogged the topic of Joe to Go enough in this thread to derail the OP - maybe it is time to get back to the original thread.

WIAPilot
05-14-2012, 11:42
Sounds like a good plan!

Don H
05-14-2012, 11:42
Last year was when the AT Guide stated that he had been unwelcoming to hikers in the past, right? Probably saw a drop in business as a result! Well, my philosophy is "why bother with blowhards like this?" There are too many good, decent, and kind business owners out there. I somehow think, however, that if the hikers supporting this guy had been on the receiving end of his wrath - they would be yelling the loudest...

I'm not supporting what he does, I did in a sense support his business since I bought food there. Hey I was a hungry thru-hiker!

Agree there are lots of good and decent business owners that put up with more shenanigans from hikers than they should have to. In fact I can only think of one situation that I thought a proprietor was not friendly to me personally. Everyone else was fantastic.

Don H
05-14-2012, 11:45
In the story I heard it was the hiker that called the cops. They talked him out of pressing charges.

tdoczi
05-14-2012, 12:32
It is pretty apparent that some people have had a problem with the business but it also a fact others have been there without any type of problem. I guess the point is that we have flogged the topic of Joe to Go enough in this thread to derail the OP - maybe it is time to get back to the original thread.

fair enough, but i think most "unfriendliness" encountered can be traced to people in certain places expecting hikers to not act like hikers, which i dont think is an entirely unreasonable request. i think if i drove to kent, ct right now and tried to use the laundromat or eat at one of the shops like a normal person, no one is going to be rude to me just because i am not from there. its the way hikers behave (and are allowed to get away with it in some places where it seems nearly encouraged) that is at the root of the problem.

you might as well re-title this thread "places where people expect hikers to behave like every other person."

Driver8
05-14-2012, 12:56
My vote goes to the entire state of Connecticut.
Something is wrong with those people.

Maybe it helps to have been just a day-hiker from Connecticut, but I've always been greeted with friendly people and good service in Kent and Salisbury. Kent's IGA, about a quarter mile northeast of the main intersection on a side road, is a very nice little grocer with a good deli and friendly service. My fellow stinky hiker friend and I were very satisfied customers on our visit a year and a half ago. The Fife and Drum, I've heard from many people, has very good food and nice rooms at a good rate.

Salisbury is rich, as is Kent, but it has many trail-friendly people. Mary, the owner of the tea and cakes shop Chaiwalla, right across Rt. 41 from the White Hart Inn at Rt. 44, is a trail angel and loves to hear hikers' stories, especially thru-hikers. Her pies and cobblers are amazingly tasty, and she has lots of nice tea on offer. A little pricey, but a very nice treat. Peter Beck's is a nice, small outfitter a hundred yards down from the 41/44 intersection in the village center. Very service-oriented and friendly. The grocer across the street is good as well.

These towns, as others have said, are wealthy, with a fair number of celebrities and other rich folk. I'm sure some of them will turn their nose up at rank-smelling long-distance hikers, especially if they come in with an entitled air. But if you're friendly and, preferably, if you clean yourself up a bit before coming into town, there are plenty of nice business people willing to greet you with friendly service.

And as I've said before, if you'd prefer a lower cost, more blue collar town, Canaan village, in the township of North Canaan, is 5 miles or so east bound from the trail on U.S. 44. There are a few local restaurants there, a trail-friendly Subway as you come into town (been there several times), a McDonald's and a big Stop and Shop grocery store on the far, east side of the small down.

As to Great Barrington, I love it. It is a richer, resorty, artsy Berkshire small town with some pricey restaurants, but I've found everyone I've met there to be friendly, too. Greet 'em with a smile, and if they don't return it - like the unhappy Jersey Java Joe - move to the next business on down.

Driver8
05-14-2012, 12:59
PS: And as I've also said before, if you go into Canaan, I can't recommend the Chinese place next to Subway. The one time I went there the food was awful. I like Chinese food a lot and it's hard to get it wrong, but on my own and only stop there, they did. Better to get factory burgers at McD's or, better yet, a nice sub or salad at Subway or a visit to the Stop and Shop deli.

Driver8
05-14-2012, 13:06
you might as well re-title this thread "places where people expect hikers to behave like every other person."

All well and good, but it does appear a lot of people, doubtless many of them polite and reasonable, have had problems with Joe in Jersey, which is good to know. Likewise, a lot of people have found CT's Litchfield County trail towns a bit frosty. Connecticut does have that reputation a bit, and Kent and Salisbury are tony towns and the clients mostly wealthy, so the shopkeepers and restaurateurs naturally would be worried to avoid unpleasantness for their regulars. Probably helps to pick and choose whom to patronize there, which to me is the good purpose of this thread, other than just to vent some spleen.

tdoczi
05-14-2012, 13:32
All well and good, but it does appear a lot of people, doubtless many of them polite and reasonable, have had problems with Joe in Jersey, which is good to know. Likewise, a lot of people have found CT's Litchfield County trail towns a bit frosty. Connecticut does have that reputation a bit, and Kent and Salisbury are tony towns and the clients mostly wealthy, so the shopkeepers and restaurateurs naturally would be worried to avoid unpleasantness for their regulars. Probably helps to pick and choose whom to patronize there, which to me is the good purpose of this thread, other than just to vent some spleen.

depends on your definition of polite and reasonable. i dont think asking someone running a coffee shop to refill your nalgene is either of these things, others apparently disagree. if someone really has gone into joe's without a huge backpack on and simply ordered food, paid for it and left like everyone else and gotten yelled at for it, then fine. i dont see that in evidence here yet.

i think contemplating one's behavior and how to modify it to avoid potential hostility is a perfectly valid thing to discuss.

WIAPilot
05-14-2012, 14:20
i think contemplating one's behavior and how to modify it to avoid potential hostility is a perfectly valid thing to discuss.

It makes a heck of a lot more sense to simply avoid the person.

Driver8
05-14-2012, 14:26
depends on your definition of polite and reasonable. i dont think asking someone running a coffee shop to refill your nalgene is either of these things ...

You're entitled to your take on things. I think if one asks politely, which I bet the customer did, a polite yes or no would be more than sufficient. If there were one person complaining about Joe, it would not mean much to most of us. That there are several in a short space says a lot. You can defend him as some poor bedraggled merchant all you like - he has held himself out specifically for hiker business, evidently he cannot control his temper well enough to provide a consistent, friendly welcome to the hiker community.

Perhaps you see in him a kindred spirit - not sure what moves you to hold out for the proposition that the occasional rude or unfriendly merchant or town on a 2200-mile trail is more the hikers' fault than the given town or merchant. I'll let you work that out on your own time, along with other matters of concern to you.

Driver8
05-14-2012, 14:28

+1. Evidently not to all of us. ... :)

tdoczi
05-14-2012, 14:35
You're entitled to your take on things. I think if one asks politely, which I bet the customer did, a polite yes or no would be more than sufficient. If there were one person complaining about Joe, it would not mean much to most of us. That there are several in a short space says a lot. You can defend him as some poor bedraggled merchant all you like - he has held himself out specifically for hiker business, evidently he cannot control his temper well enough to provide a consistent, friendly welcome to the hiker community.

Perhaps you see in him a kindred spirit - not sure what moves you to hold out for the proposition that the occasional rude or unfriendly merchant or town on a 2200-mile trail is more the hikers' fault than the given town or merchant. I'll let you work that out on your own time, along with other matters of concern to you.

once again, his reaction was obviously overboard. i think I've stated this 4 times now?

and yes, if i ran his business people asking me for water would annoy me too.would i react the same way? no. but still.

tdoczi
05-14-2012, 14:37

if you know where they are, sure. if i'm in the area and need something he sells i'll just go in and not make out of the ordinary requests. nor will i make them of anyone else, because to assume they are ok with it is not something i would do.

archy
05-14-2012, 16:19
I would like to say thanks to some people I met on my thruhike and will see you next year. Joe& Go Cafe for the 4lbs of roast beef sub and the bench to sit on outside. Iknow my pack is not welcome indoors as it is a health code violation. Bigthanks to the folks at the Super 8 at US11 (Harrisburg Pike, PA) For opening upa room up to me at 8am at no cost, helping me find medical treatment. Then checking on me during the day to see ifI needed anything. I had spent the previous night on the trail throwing up allnight long in the middle of a storm. Thanks again.
As this thread is about who is the most unfriendly andunhelpful the ATC Mid Atlantic HQ Boiling Springs, PA. has my vote. The Good People at the Super 8 did for mewhat the ATC Mid Atlantic HQ Claims to do (like help sick hikers). Thanks for NOT HELPING. PS. Iburned my membership card afterwards.

Don H
05-14-2012, 16:37
The people at the ATC in Boiling Springs have always been nice to me. I've been there at least 5 times but I never really needed anything except to use the bathroom. (and I didn't steal any TP)

Packs not allowed inside a restaurant is understandable, maybe even health code.

imscotty
05-14-2012, 16:41
Quote: "as a non hiker would you ever walk into a store like that and make such a request? i would not. therefore i wouldnt do it as a hiker either. not saying hurled obscenities were warranted or appropriate, but the guy probably deals with stuff like that all the time and is tired of it."

I do not want to add to the debate about any particular establishment, but I need to disagree that asking for something so basic to human life as water should ever be considered an unreasonable request. There have been times when I have asked food establishments to pack food to go, to make change for a parking meter, to give me extra condiments, use their bathroom and yes, I have asked for water. They owners are free to say no, as I am free to bring my business elsewhere, but I would never consider these requests to be unreasonable by hiker or non-hiker alike.

I am reminded of the Starbucks that charged ambulance workers $130 for water they needed to treat victims at Ground Zero on 9-11. Yes, the Starbucks owner was within their rights, but really, what were they thinking. When it comes to business owners, patrons and hikers alike I think we all would be best served by following the 'Golden Rule', do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Cookerhiker
05-14-2012, 17:16
Last year on the Colorado Trail, our first resupply stop was a general store cum Post Office in the village of Buffalo Creek. We bought bottled drinks and various snacks but the clerk refused our request to refill our water bottles. She wasn't angry or hostile, rather sullen and indifferent like we were inconveniencing her. Maybe we were a trifle. Anyway being our first stop, I wondered if it was a harbinger of things to come. It wasn't. All of our remaining town stops in CO were very positive.

On the Colorado Trail resupply thread, I've recommended not stopping at this town - not just because of the attitude, but the store was poorly stocked.

tdoczi
05-14-2012, 18:23
I do not want to add to the debate about any particular establishment, but I need to disagree that asking for something so basic to human life as water should ever be considered an unreasonable request.

if someone was in true and serious NEED of water i'd agree. i doubt this is often the case. hikers who are thirsty and can't find water elsewhere don't have a life or death need for water.

WIAPilot
05-14-2012, 18:38
The people at the ATC in Boiling Springs have always been nice to me. I've been there at least 5 times but I never really needed anything except to use the bathroom. (and I didn't steal any TP)

Packs not allowed inside a restaurant is understandable, maybe even health code.

Rather than packs per se, Joe is probably referring to a health code which forbids bringing outside food into an eating establishment.

Snowleopard
05-14-2012, 19:56
In defense of Connecticut:

Some of the towns along the AT in CT are extremely wealthy. Many of the wealthiest people there are from out of state and own vacation estates. The rest of the state is not like Kent or Sharon or Salisbury. Thruhikers don't have much of a presence here compared to further south and there aren't many services specifically aimed at thruhikers.

The AT in Conn. was built and has been preserved and maintained by local people.
Many thanks to:
Arthur Perkins and the CT Forest and Park Association got the project going (1929).
Ned Anderson, blazing and cutting the trail (1930) and maintaining it (1930-1948)
Seymour Smith (1949-1979) and the CT chapter of AMC (1949-2012), maintaining the AT.

Sarcasm the elf
05-14-2012, 20:09
In defense of Connecticut:

Some of the towns along the AT in CT are extremely wealthy. Many of the wealthiest people there are from out of state and own vacation estates. The rest of the state is not like Kent or Sharon or Salisbury. Thruhikers don't have much of a presence here compared to further south and there aren't many services specifically aimed at thruhikers.

The AT in Conn. was built and has been preserved and maintained by local people.
Many thanks to:
Arthur Perkins and the CT Forest and Park Association got the project going (1929).
Ned Anderson, blazing and cutting the trail (1930) and maintaining it (1930-1948)
Seymour Smith (1949-1979) and the CT chapter of AMC (1949-2012), maintaining the AT.

They're all just jealous that we have the best deer ticks :rolleyes:

Don H
05-14-2012, 20:20
They're all just jealous that we have the best deer ticks :rolleyes:

I don't know about that, MA must have had at least one deer tick loaded with Lyme, and he found me:(

Sarcasm the elf
05-14-2012, 20:25
I don't know about that, MA must have had at least one deer tick loaded with Lyme, and he found me:(

Not too much of a difference between CT and MA in that respect. If it gets much worse they'll probably start putting doxycycline in the drinking water.

rocketsocks
05-14-2012, 20:39
Not too much of a difference between CT and MA in that respect. If it gets much worse they'll probably start putting doxycycline in the drinking water.yeah but only for like a week,or 10 days.;)

SunnyWalker
05-14-2012, 21:29
Well, I can see where it might be difficult for a restaurant; etc., to host hikers who are dirty, smelly, downright ripe and rank along w/packs that are the same. I mean some hikers are just downright kind of antisocial they are so ripe n dirty. That may be the accepted thing on the trail. But hello! You are not on the trail. Isn't it the first step of courtesy before I enter a clean eating establishment that I clean myself up? Isn't that presenting a respectable face to to restaurant/store owner? I may be a paying customer, but I feel a customer has some responsibilities also. As for water, if an outfit is selling water I see the reason they are not going to fill water bots. They are in business to make a profit. You can get water somewhere. You are not going to die because of this. A favor asked for does not have to be given. Just cuz we are on the trail and now at a restaurant/store does not entitle us to free water. If want free water get back on the trail.

mateozzz
05-16-2012, 19:52
How should these guys look after 1,000 miles on the trail?! Joe is in business and a lot of his business comes from the AT. Behavior like that is simply unwarranted.

The thread is about unfriendly states, not about Joe's, although it looks like it might have gotten hijacked. By the time thru hikers get to CT, many look like hobos which might explain some of the added unfriendliness. In GA, TN, NC, the funk hasn't gotten quite as bad yet! A Bic razor doesn't weigh much.

mateozzz
05-16-2012, 19:55
Joes treatment of me was totally unacceptable and totally uncalled for. Mateozz, by the timing of your post do you assume I look like a Hobo?
You haven't a clue!! and your dead wrong.

Is there some time interval I have to wait before commenting on the thread without confusing the author of the last comment? You'll note I didn't quote you, so please try to lighten up. BTW, do you look like a hobo? A lot of thru hikers do by the time they get to CT.

Hot Sauce 2011
05-17-2012, 00:27
Don't have it in front of me, but I'm almost positive AWOL's 2011 guide book indicated that Joe to Go was hiker unfriendly, and for that reason I didn't stop there on my 2011 thru. I did stop at the bar and grill next door and had outstanding food and service, the owner was super friendly and curious about my hike, and I had a ball. I never had a bad town experience- some were ok and some were so good they were life changing. As many others have pointed out, there is an abundance of thru hikers who feel that everything is owed to them. Why, I dunno, maybe because in lots of places they get treated like stars and it goes to their heads; there are thru hikers, particularly the younger ones, who buy into the "hiker trash" mentality so much that they feel it gives them license to act any kind of way, which in turn breeds ill will among the locals. Personally, I remember receiving medical care and a foot massage at Trail Days and thinking "all I'm doing is walking- why do I deserve this?"

BTW, I hiked with "Trail Trash" and the "Hiker Trash Tour 2011" and found all of them to be respectful, polite and good representatives of the thru hiker community everywhere we went. The comments above have nothing to do with those individuals whatsoever. RTW!

Hot Sauce 2011
05-17-2012, 00:31
FWIW, every thru hiker I spoke with that dared visit Joe to Go said it was great.

SunnyWalker
05-17-2012, 00:36
Sorry, did not think 'bout changing subject of thread. I for one have not had unfriendly experiences yet on AT. Hats off to the AT and all Trail towns.

rocketsocks
05-17-2012, 00:45
Sorry, did not think 'bout changing subject of thread. I for one have not had unfriendly experiences yet on AT. Hats off to the AT and all Trail towns.No worries it was I that drifted the thread in the beggining,which you can go back and read,not a big deal and ultimately was never an issue,and was resolved before it even started by those that care,mute as it was.I plan on going to Culvers gap and leaving my pack on the bench out side and ordering a big Ole' coffee.Lets put this puppy back on track......I have never in my limited trail town experiences been treated badly by any member of any trail town community.Period:)

Hot Sauce 2011
05-17-2012, 00:57
Thanks to Lone Wolf and Driver8 for the most reasonable posts...as far as leaving packs outside a business, it sounds reckless, but I never saw a thru hiker north of Georgia that was concerned about leaving there pack outside. Who wants to go near a stinky pack? What would you have to touch to get to the good stuff? And perhaps the most amazing thing about seeing our country by foot is being reminded how good most Americans are- I stretched my hike out to 6 1/2 months and was never disappointed.

rocketsocks
05-17-2012, 01:07
Thanks to Lone Wolf and Driver8 for the most reasonable posts...as far as leaving packs outside a business, it sounds reckless, but I never saw a thru hiker north of Georgia that was concerned about leaving there pack outside. Who wants to go near a stinky pack? What would you have to touch to get to the good stuff? And perhaps the most amazing thing about seeing our country by foot is being reminded how good most Americans are- I stretched my hike out to 6 1/2 months and was never disappointed.Well I wouldn't want to give away trade secrets just yet,but one goes this way,tother goes that away,and the pack,well lets just say taking it wouldn't be the brightest thing a person could do.mercury switch,piezo buzzer and a 9 volt battery.Shussssh don't tell

rocketsocks
05-17-2012, 01:12
Well I wouldn't want to give away trade secrets just yet,but one eye goes this way,tother goes that away,and the pack,well lets just say taking it wouldn't be the brightest thing a person could do.mercury switch,piezo buzzer and a 9 volt battery.Shussssh don't tellAnd maybe a capacitor circuit and a handle that says grab me hear,for a shocking experience.

Skyline
05-17-2012, 10:27
As for leaving a pack outside, I've found the larger, heavier, and nastier the pack is the less it is likely to be molested. :-)

Come to think of it, same thing goes for people.

Ultralighters may have other experiences.

Lion King
05-17-2012, 11:06
There are people in every town in the world who may give a bad impression of the town, there are many hikers who give much worse impressions of hikers when they come into towns.

Most of the towns here mentioned are fine spots, maybe some of you didnt get you butt kissed or treated with the utmost of generosity as you may assume you deserve, you dont.

How many here went into an establishment WITH their pack on and set it down? How many didnt shower or put on clean clothes or something to hide the stink before going into a dinner or restaurant?
How many get pissy when they dont have the post master spend hours looking for a package that is just not there, how many are angry because your actions lead to people thinking you were the issue?

True, in some of the touristy areas, there are tourists who dont know what a hiker is, but that densest mean the town is bad.

I only get angry at towns and the people that live there when I cant get a ride back to the trail...damn hicks, stupid people not stopping and helping me....lol:D:banana:banana:rolleyes:

SunnyWalker
05-22-2012, 12:57
Yep, lets not be The Ugly Hiker(American).

Jeff
05-22-2012, 13:23
Well said Lion King !!!

Pony
05-22-2012, 18:09
I understand that some hikers act like jerks, but this isn't a trait exclusive to hikers. Anyone that has waited tables, bartended, or worked any kind of customer service will know this. Hikers just stick out more, especially in trail towns. I'd say the jerk to non-jerk ratio in hikers is pretty similar to that of society as a whole. However, business owners are free to run their businesses as they see fit.

Kentlady
05-24-2012, 16:45
Some of the Kent residents have been reading the rude comments about Kent and your experiences here and in Connecticut and I for one would like to indicate disgust with some of the attitudes expressed. We value civilized hygeine and expect visitors to our area to conduct themselves properly not as smelly vagabonds.

coach lou
05-24-2012, 17:01
Some of the Kent residents have been reading the rude comments about Kent and your experiences here and in Connecticut and I for one would like to indicate disgust with some of the attitudes expressed. We value civilized hygeine and expect visitors to our area to conduct themselves properly not as smelly vagabonds.

This post only perpetuates why folks feel as they do about going through Kent. You folks should get Uncle Dan to get this National Scenic Trail out of your area so the rest of us citizens don't disgust you anymore.

Sarcasm the elf
05-24-2012, 17:27

Did you actually go through the trouble of setting up an account on this site in order to defend your town's honor?

You must be new to the Internet...

rocketsocks
05-24-2012, 17:35
Some of the Kent residents have been reading the rude comments about Kent and your experiences here and in Connecticut and I for one would like to indicate disgust with some of the attitudes expressed. We value civilized hygiene and expect visitors to our area to conduct themselves properly not as smelly vagabonds.One inflammatory comment does not a town make,Why don't you stick around for a bit,and meet some of the members here,I assure they are a lot more than just smelly vagabonds,oh and:welcome

Cookerhiker
05-24-2012, 17:35
Gotta be a troll.

AAhiker
05-24-2012, 17:43
[QUOTE=rocketsocks;1289419]Well I wouldn't want to give away trade secrets just yet,but one goes this way,tother goes that away,and the pack,well lets just say taking it wouldn't be the brightest thing a person could do.mercury switch,piezo buzzer and a 9 volt battery.Shussssh don't tell[/QUOTE

Seems excessive. You obviously aren't a UL hiker. LOL J/K all you UL junkies(yea Sarcasm I saw your post the other day) I think that pair of socks and funktastic clothing I just changed out of before town would be my prefered method of deterrent.

rocketsocks
05-24-2012, 17:47
Double A,yes your right,I better make it a car battery,more bang for the buck,thanks for the Tip!

AAhiker
05-24-2012, 17:52
On a serious note though, while I see the merits of this thread( I think it was just needed venting by the OP). I feel like over all it is pretty counter productive. I have read all 8 pages of this post and I don't think I would like any more info than I get in the Data Book I have at home. Where are the necessities? That is all I really want to know. I have no problem going somewhere and leaving thinking "That person was a total ---!" But it takes a bit of enjoyment out of it as a thru-in-planning to now somewhat expect parts to suck. Granted by 2015 I may have totally forgotten about this post but maybe not. And there a lots of people going much sooner than I am that are going to read this and it might take the wind out of thier sails a bit like it does mine. Thru hikers in my opinion aren't the sheep of the world so many will just ignore this post but still...

AAhiker
05-24-2012, 17:54
Double A,yes your right,I better make it a car battery,more bang for the buck,thanks for the Tip!

Good call but don't go expecting people to go around giving you a jump just because you don't have an alternator. Selfish! Okay I'm done now.

rocketsocks
05-24-2012, 17:59
On a serious note though, while I see the merits of this thread( I think it was just needed venting by the OP). I feel like over all it is pretty counter productive. I have read all 8 pages of this post and I don't think I would like any more info than I get in the Data Book I have at home. Where are the necessities? That is all I really want to know. I have no problem going somewhere and leaving thinking "That person was a total ---!" But it takes a bit of enjoyment out of it as a thru-in-planning to now somewhat expect parts to suck. Granted by 2015 I may have totally forgotten about this post but maybe not. And there a lots of people going much sooner than I am that are going to read this and it might take the wind out of thier sails a bit like it does mine. Thru hikers in my opinion aren't the sheep of the world so many will just ignore this post but still...I agree,and will repeat what I've said earlier in the thread.

No such thing as bad towns,just bad individuals.

adamkrz
05-24-2012, 18:17
I travel to Kent to meet thru hikers and often weekend camp in the area - What bothers me the most is all the weekend harley riders minus mufflers, I would avoid the town and go to Cornwall Bridge a few miles north - it has a general store, gas station , package store and an outfitter.

coach lou
05-24-2012, 19:06
I travel to Kent to meet thru hikers and often weekend camp in the area - What bothers me the most is all the weekend harley riders minus mufflers, I would avoid the town and go to Cornwall Bridge a few miles north - it has a general store, gas station , package store and an outfitter.
It also has a very serviceable no-tell-motel, The Hitching post. Clean and reasonable.

rocketsocks
05-24-2012, 19:10
It also has a very serviceable no-tell-motel, The Hitching post. Clean and reasonable.Many towns have a No-tell-motel,and some towns have more than one.

Sarcasm the elf
05-24-2012, 19:59
On a serious note though, while I see the merits of this thread( I think it was just needed venting by the OP). I feel like over all it is pretty counter productive. I have read all 8 pages of this post and I don't think I would like any more info than I get in the Data Book I have at home. Where are the necessities? That is all I really want to know. I have no problem going somewhere and leaving thinking "That person was a total ---!" But it takes a bit of enjoyment out of it as a thru-in-planning to now somewhat expect parts to suck. Granted by 2015 I may have totally forgotten about this post but maybe not. And there a lots of people going much sooner than I am that are going to read this and it might take the wind out of thier sails a bit like it does mine. Thru hikers in my opinion aren't the sheep of the world so many will just ignore this post but still...

I do suppose you are right, but there's not much I can do about it.

Being that I'm from Connecticut I was raised to love complaining and acting all snarky, I just can't give it up. :D

Mountain Mike
05-25-2012, 00:15
Reminds me of old indian tale of young bucks trying to prove old medicine man wrong. He conspired to to hold a live bird in his palms & tell the old chief that he had a bird in his hand & if it was alive or dead. If he said dead he would let it free. If he said live he would smother it. When the buck gathered his followers & asked the chief his response was, "That choice is yours" Some thru-hikers act if they are entitled to special priveledges because of it. Wrong! If you don't make an effort to clean up when you go to a restraunt why should they make an effort to serve some offensively stinky hiker? Be nice. Ask for a safe place to put your pack, if there is someplace to freshen up before you sit down. Go in with attitude & you will often be met with it. You can walk away but those behind you will suffer.
I agree,and will repeat what I've said earlier in the thread.

No such thing as bad towns,just bad individuals.

rocketsocks
05-25-2012, 03:00
Reminds me of old indian tale of young bucks trying to prove old medicine man wrong. He conspired to to hold a live bird in his palms & tell the old chief that he had a bird in his hand & if it was alive or dead. If he said dead he would let it free. If he said live he would smother it. When the buck gathered his followers & asked the chief his response was, "That choice is yours" Some thru-hikers act if they are entitled to special priveledges because of it. Wrong! If you don't make an effort to clean up when you go to a restraunt why should they make an effort to serve some offensively stinky hiker? Be nice. Ask for a safe place to put your pack, if there is someplace to freshen up before you sit down. Go in with attitude & you will often be met with it. You can walk away but those behind you will suffer.I am picking up,what your laying down,and unfortunately had to learn this lesson the hard way....but I did learn it.;)nice story.peace

Kentlady
05-25-2012, 11:17
Did you actually go through the trouble of setting up an account on this site in order to defend your town's honor?

You must be new to the Internet...

The truth hurts doesn't it? We pay a lot for the privilege of living here. If people think they can just cruise through having a gay old time without being totally responsible for their actions, they are eventually going to have a reality check.

WIAPilot
05-25-2012, 11:38
The truth hurts doesn't it? We pay a lot for the privilege of living here. If people think they can just cruise through having a gay old time without being totally responsible for their actions, they are eventually going to have a reality check.

Well, I guess that shows how much hikers are welcome in Kent because God help them for wanting to have "a gay old time" and because they don't "pay a lot for the privilege of living here."

First, relax. You are not the only one who has money. And FYI, most individuals with wealth do not throw this fact around.

Second, I am sure that most hikers are responsible for their actions. By the time they hike that far from GA, they are too tired and too broke to whoop it up in Kent.

Third, if the fine, good citizens of Kent do not wish to have hikers in their town, the establishments that cater to hikers can make this quite clear with a "Hikers Unwelcome" sign in their window. However, this IS still the USA - so you may still see a few hikers trespassing in your fair city. Perhaps you can set up a tollbooth to make them pay for the "privilege."

And last of all, I think you are proven their point.

Driver8
05-25-2012, 11:58

Fortunately, the people who looked after my fellow CT hiker friend and I after our Macedonia hike were much friendlier than you, and there are plenty of trail angels and hiking enthusiasts in Kent and other towns along the CT stretch of the A.T. Heaven forfend that hikers should work up a sweat out on the trail. Who ever heard of such a thing? Scandalous. ...

rocketsocks
05-25-2012, 12:00
The truth hurts doesn't it? We pay a lot for the privilege of living here. If people think they can just cruise through having a gay old time without being totally responsible for their actions, they are eventually going to have a reality check.Dear miss Kent Lady,your coming off awfully strong .What exactly or specifically is going on that needs attention?Cause I'm pretty sure people do care,and your not the only one who pays high bills to live.If you want to engage in a dialog to help better what ever situation it is thats not to your liking,then please just put it out there,if not,Well you know......you know.....:-?

Kentlady
05-25-2012, 12:16
I may be a high maintenance lady, my husband works in the financial industry, but I would never spend weeks in the woods, and wouldn't let my kids do so either. We are part of the modern progress of civilization, not slackers.

Driver8
05-25-2012, 12:19
I may be a high maintenance lady, my husband works in the financial industry, but I would never spend weeks in the woods, and wouldn't let my kids do so either. We are part of the modern progress of civilization, not slackers.

Great idea, then, spending your time on a long-distance hikers' discussion board, Troll. Begone with you. ...

rocketsocks
05-25-2012, 12:29
I may be a high maintenance lady, my husband works in the financial industry, but I would never spend weeks in the woods, and wouldn't let my kids do so either. We are part of the modern progress of civilization, not slackers.Ok,now I now your just trolling,cause nobody is that redickuluous,really progress,that's what your goin with,I kinda figured it be ,pees on lawn or loud after dark,or my favorite,Asked for directions,yeah thats a bummer,to have to be a human,welcome to my world.atch

BCPete
05-25-2012, 15:05

Well, I'm not sure what your husband does for a living has much to do about anything - but I'm guessing you threw that out there to give the impression of wealth. I must admit that after reading this thread, I'm really looking forward to Kent when my wife & I do the AT in 2015. I'll be the guy smiling like crazy because life is always better when you spend weeks in the woods - no matter how much excess money is in your bank account. Trust me on that one. ;)

Cookerhiker
05-25-2012, 15:24
She (if the "Kent Lady" is, in fact, a "she,") is obviously a troll. Pehaps "she" does speak for the opinions of some Kent residents but I find her responses more of a hyperbolic caricature than anything realistic, even by the standards (such that they are) of internet chatrooms.

How many think "Kent Lady" is actually Lone Wolf messing with us?:D

tdoczi
05-25-2012, 15:27
She (if the "Kent Lady" is, in fact, a "she,") is obviously a troll. Pehaps "she" does speak for the opinions of some Kent residents but I find her responses more of a hyperbolic caricature than anything realistic, even by the standards (such that they are) of internet chatrooms.

since one could theoretically interpret my earlier comments here as being on kentlady's side, i'm eagerly awaiting someone coming up with the theory that its actually me (has happened around here before)

mudhead
05-25-2012, 15:46
I don't doubt she is an actual person. I see fools like that up here every Summer.

They like to walk around town and discuss how quaint it is....

If it makes them happy, I am glad.

Hitchin' Post
05-25-2012, 16:07
I used to work in a Subway that wasn't near any trail, and it was pretty normal for customers to bring their water bottles in to fill them up. I don't see why it would be any different for a hiker to do it.

rocketsocks
05-25-2012, 16:07
Here,this is the fool proof test.Ms.Kent lady,how many poptarts could you eat?

tdoczi
05-25-2012, 16:34
I used to work in a Subway that wasn't near any trail, and it was pretty normal for customers to bring their water bottles in to fill them up. I don't see why it would be any different for a hiker to do it.

had a bathroom or they asked someone to do it for them?

Driver8
05-25-2012, 22:45

+1 Cookerhiker FTW!

Lone Wolf
05-26-2012, 00:35
Ftd!..........

woodsy
05-26-2012, 19:32

Hi Kentlady, I'm sure glad you posted here because i will be passing through Kent this summer and would love to spend some time with locals like you and your family. even stay overnight with you if thats OK. I am a clean hiker , never get dirty or smelly and very respectful of higher than thou locals, please PM me if you are OK with me staying with y'all. Thanks !

Mountain Mike
05-26-2012, 23:30
Kentlady, What is closest airport to you? Once we finish up remodeling my boss's estate down here in FL he wan't me to guide him backpacking. Thinking of options up north were we can land his lear close to the trail.

rocketsocks
05-27-2012, 00:35
Ftd!..........Flowers........your sending flowers?

rocketsocks
05-27-2012, 00:42
Kentlady, What is closest airport to you? Once we finish up remodeling my boss's estate down here in FL he wan't me to guide him backpacking. Thinking of options up north were we can land his lear close to the trail.Hey,you think that story is true?The one where the rich millionaire ran out of toilet paper,and was using $20 dollar bills to wipe his bum.I heard a couple guys made a killing that were following him.But what a way to make it.I'm sure Ms.Kent lady has a bidet.

Lyle
05-27-2012, 10:43
[QUOTE=Spokes;1286622]Outfitter? Lol! In 2009 it was a boutique clothing store and ice cream shop masquerading as an outfitter. No one there knew what Tyvek was used for and hadn't stocked AquaMira in months......

I recently used the outfitter from Kent, Dave, for a shuttle. He said that they used to have a decent outdoor business, but that online retailing has destroyed the business. He is trying to stay afloat by doing shuttles for us section hikers plus adding the Ice Cream business which is really taking off.

A business owner cannot stay afloat with the business that thru-hikers bring in, particularly in an expensive community so far north on the trail. Dave and his wife were VERY hiker friendly and went way out of their way to be accommodating. They are running a business, however, so you should expect to pay for their services, not get them for free.

Snowleopard
05-27-2012, 10:49
... Troll. Begone with you. ...
Does that Troll Begone work on black flies?

bfayer
05-27-2012, 11:01

Reality check time: The AT was passing right next to Kent before you and your Hubby were born. Hikers were part of the deal when you moved there. If you didn't know that, I am sorry. Kent is not a private retreat, and as public town you don't get to pick who visits or what they smell like.

You moved there because you wanted to live in the country and enjoy the views and environment, Hikers are part of that deal. I know reality hurts sometimes. Now fold your nose back down and learn to be a good neighbor.

Lyle
05-27-2012, 11:24

Not sure where you shop, but most all the convenience stores I've been to have sinks near their beverage counters. I, and many others, often fill our water bottles from these taps. I have never even seen an employee even raise an eyebrow. I also rinse out my refillable coffee mugs at these sinks, never a problem. I managed several fast food restaurants through the years, we always filled water bottles, even with ice if they wanted, washed baby bottles, warmed formula, etc. It's called customer service, and something a service oriented business should expect.

Yes, be polite, be a customer, and be mindful of how busy the employees are, but filling a water bottle is not something foreign to this type of business whether in a hiker town or not.

Saprogenic
05-27-2012, 11:58
Sometimes it doesn't matter how you look, what you say, or how you present yourself, some people are just rotten. Saying a whole town is rotten is a bit much, but I do see where your coming from. Living in NJ my whole life, I've grown accustomed to rudeness. Most, not all, but most people here in NJ are self-absorbed or just straight up un-friendly. Last year I visited NC for a long weekend. Granted there were your bad apples here and there, but for the most part, I thought I was in a Disney movie. Everyone shaking your hand and starting conversation. The bartenders would reach over the bar when you came in to shake your hand and ask your name before what you'd like to drink. Here, your lucky to get a menu thrown (not joking, had a menu thrown to me) or a second beer, even an attempt at a smile instead of the middle finger. It really was night and day between NJ and NC.

Saprogenic
05-27-2012, 13:14
That's too funny how Kentlady sets up an account here just to prove the people here right. She's quite the narcist. It really is quite amazing how some people (Kentlady) think the world revolves them.

Rasty
05-27-2012, 13:46

Define Slackers for use poor uneducated rabble.

Is a slacker someone who walks 10 to 25 miles in the mountains with a 20 to 40 pound pack? Or a pampered rich lady who rings a bell to have someone get her tea because heaven forbid you actually walk 12 feet to the kitchen.

Do you mean modern progress where 60% are obess due to inactivity?

Rasty
05-27-2012, 13:59
Define Slackers for use poor uneducated rabble.

Is a slacker someone who walks 10 to 25 miles in the mountains with a 20 to 40 pound pack? Or a pampered rich lady who rings a bell to have someone get her tea because heaven forbid you actually walk 12 feet to the kitchen.

Do you mean modern progress where 60% are obess due to inactivity?

Spelled us wrong (Not use)

Also, would your husband not be part of the slackers, as the financial industry had to be bailed out by us. I'm in the restaurant industry, we did not need to be bailed out due to slacking on our responsibilities. Neither did the most of the other rabble in society.

tdoczi
05-27-2012, 15:59
Not sure where you shop, but most all the convenience stores I've been to have sinks near their beverage counters. I, and many others, often fill our water bottles from these taps. I have never even seen an employee even raise an eyebrow. I also rinse out my refillable coffee mugs at these sinks, never a problem. I managed several fast food restaurants through the years, we always filled water bottles, even with ice if they wanted, washed baby bottles, warmed formula, etc. It's called customer service, and something a service oriented business should expect.

Yes, be polite, be a customer, and be mindful of how busy the employees are, but filling a water bottle is not something foreign to this type of business whether in a hiker town or not.

i live in arguably the convenience store capital of the world and i have NEVER seen a sink anywhere in a store (wawa, 7-11, quick check, krauser's, local shops, you name it) except for behind the counter. i would never go behind the counter at a store i did not work at without being invited.

tdoczi
05-27-2012, 16:00
Sometimes it doesn't matter how you look, what you say, or how you present yourself, some people are just rotten. Saying a whole town is rotten is a bit much, but I do see where your coming from. Living in NJ my whole life, I've grown accustomed to rudeness. Most, not all, but most people here in NJ are self-absorbed or just straight up un-friendly. Last year I visited NC for a long weekend. Granted there were your bad apples here and there, but for the most part, I thought I was in a Disney movie. Everyone shaking your hand and starting conversation. The bartenders would reach over the bar when you came in to shake your hand and ask your name before what you'd like to drink. Here, your lucky to get a menu thrown (not joking, had a menu thrown to me) or a second beer, even an attempt at a smile instead of the middle finger. It really was night and day between NJ and NC.

man, you make NC sound annoying as hell. minding your own business and expecting others to mind theirs does not equal being rude.

Ender
05-27-2012, 16:06
man, you make NC sound annoying as hell. minding your own business and expecting others to mind theirs does not equal being rude.

I agree with you. I find false friendliness more than a little creepy.

Rasty
05-27-2012, 16:45

I agree with you. I find false friendliness more than a little creepy.

In 1993 my wife and I moved to Poughkeepsie NY from NC for school. She's from NC and would really freak out the Northerners by smiling and saying hello. I was born in NY and would laugh my ... off.

Lion King
05-27-2012, 18:09
you should all go for a hike...would get rid of some of this piss and vinegar

mudhead
05-27-2012, 18:47
Sounds like a nasty flavor of potato chip.

WIAPilot
05-27-2012, 19:06
I had to smile about the differences between NC and NJ. I grew up living in NC/VA and have also visited NJ a lot. In the small towns of NC and VA, I kid you not - people actually wave at strangers in their trucks or cars. They welcome almost everyone. It isn't quite like Mayberry, but it can be pretty darn close. They just believe in being God-fearing folks and treating their neighbors in a friendly manner. NJ LOL is soooo different. They don't mince words. They don't beat around the bush. They tell you exactly what is on their mind. The women are very assertive and don't take (bleep) from men. Both had their good points and their bad. In NJ, you really knew where you stood with people though. In the South, they will bend over backwards to help someone. That is just expected. It is truly the norm. In NJ, friendly gestures are often viewed with suspicion and disdain. They just don't like others involved in their business. This is a generalization, of course, but this is how I saw it.

Trillium
05-27-2012, 19:17
There are people in every town in the world who may give a bad impression of the town, there are many hikers who give much worse impressions of hikers when they come into towns.

Most of the towns here mentioned are fine spots, maybe some of you didnt get your butt kissed or treated with the utmost of generosity as you may assume you deserve, you dont.

How many here went into an establishment WITH their pack on and set it down? How many didnt shower or put on clean clothes or something to hide the stink before going into a dinner or restaurant?
How many get pissy when they dont have the post master spend hours looking for a package that is just not there, how many are angry because your actions lead to people thinking you were the issue?

True, in some of the touristy areas, there are tourists who dont know what a hiker is, but that densest mean the town is bad.

I only get angry at towns and the people that live there when I cant get a ride back to the trail...damn hicks, stupid people not stopping and helping me....lol:D:banana:banana:rolleyes:

perhaps I'm misunderstanding you but you can't be saying that everyone who had a bad experience did something to deserve it, are you? I can't believe that Blissful would have done anything that would have warranted the treatment she received in Kent.

WIAPilot
05-27-2012, 19:20
perhaps I'm misunderstanding you but you can't be saying that everyone who had a bad experience did something to deserve it, are you? I can't believe that Blissful would have done anything that would have warranted the treatment she received in Kent.

LOL. In case you haven't noticed, there are those on WB that if you say black; they are going to say white. :datz

rocketsocks
05-27-2012, 19:24
While on a trip to Virgina one year,a little town called Gold Vein up in Fauquier Co.I was driving down this Rd and a man was cutting his grass,as I drove by he stop,turned to the road and waived,I continued a bit and then decided to turn around and head back the way I had just come,and as I went by the fella cutting the grass,same thing he stopped,turned and waived again.I have told this story often over the years,as it has left an impression on me.

woodsy
05-27-2012, 19:34

Looking forward to spending some time with y'all and experiencing this so called modern progress of civilization, can't wait !
After being in the woods for months it will be a real treat !
Do you have salt and vinegar chips on hand ?, anxiously awaiting a PM from you so i can prepare my trip around our visit.
Thanks ! Awesome !

WIAPilot
05-27-2012, 19:42
While on a trip to Virgina one year,a little town called Gold Vein up in Fauquier Co.I was driving down this Rd and a man was cutting his grass,as I drove by he stop,turned to the road and waived,I continued a bit and then decided to turn around and head back the way I had just come,and as I went by the fella cutting the grass,same thing he stopped,turned and waived again.I have told this story often over the years,as it has left an impression on me.

LOL. It honestly is like that! In NJ, they'll cuss you out for asking politely for water. In the South, they will ask you if you are sure that you wouldn't rather have "Sweet Tea" to go instead... at no charge! LOL When someone passes away, enough food is brought to last a month...

It really is just two different worlds with good and bad in both! Of course, Lone Wolf is from Damascus - and I don't know what went wrong there, because he certainly wouldn't be offering Sweet Tea... :cool:

rocketsocks
05-27-2012, 19:44
LOL. It honestly is like that! In NJ, they'll cuss you out for asking politely for water. In the South, they will ask you if you are sure that you wouldn't rather have "Sweet Tea" to go instead... at no charge! LOL When someone passes away, enough food is brought to last a month...

It really is just two different worlds with good and bad in both! Of course, Lone Wolf is from Damascus - and I don't know what went wrong there, because he certainly wouldn't be offering Sweet Tea... :cool:and No poptarts either.

rocketsocks
05-27-2012, 19:46
but he would buy someone a beer.:sun

Trillium
05-27-2012, 21:24
Of course, Lone Wolf is from Damascus - and I don't know what went wrong there, because he certainly wouldn't be offering Sweet Tea... :cool:
Lone Wolf grew up in Rhode island. Maybe there's your answer.

WIAPilot
05-28-2012, 07:16
Lone Wolf grew up in Rhode island. Maybe there's your answer.

LOL. There you have it.

Lone Wolf
05-28-2012, 07:26
LOL. There you have it.

give it a rest dude

Driver8
05-28-2012, 08:27
give it a rest dude

Don't have a cow, man. ...

rickb
05-28-2012, 09:32
Doc's Trattoria and Brick Oven Pizza, got good reviews in this article.

http://www.courant.com/entertainment/hc-katie-holmes-in-kent-0525-20120524,0,7334195.story

kayak karl
05-28-2012, 10:41
i live in south jersey, very friendly and laid back, but i feel the same about philly.

back to the OP. i always understood a "Non-friendly hiker town" to mean you could not get food, lodging or shower or you could not get them at a reasonable price. when did it change to a personality contest?

Sarcasm the elf
05-28-2012, 11:50
you should all go for a hike...would get rid of some of this piss and vinegar

+1, I just got back from the trail and can no longer find the energy to be offended by this thread. :sun