PDA

View Full Version : Summer rain gear suggestions?

JoshAuerbach
05-09-2012, 13:14
First time planning a long distance hike and very unsure about raingear. Don't want something bulky or unbreathable. Do a lot of people just use a poncho?

HeartFire
05-09-2012, 13:22
In summer? get wet, it will feel good

JoshAuerbach
05-09-2012, 13:28
Well I guess I should say May, June, July.

Ender
05-09-2012, 14:00
For the summertime, I bring a poncho. It's much more comfortable than wearing a jacket in the heat, and also helps to cover my backpack to give it an added layer of protection.

That said, I often don't both to put even that on if it's hot enough, and just hike in the rain. This has a number of benefits, one being that it's actually really comfortable hiking in a warm rain on a hot summer day, another being when you get to camp you don't have to worry about getting wet while setting up your tent... just set it up and then change into dry clothes and throw the poncho on over those. Even in the hardest rains, if it's hot enough out I won't bother suiting up. I'll often still get the poncho out and drape it over my pack though, to help keep it protected and also to have handy in case the temps drop suddenly, as often happens during summertime mountain thunderstorms.

That's just me though.

Ender
05-09-2012, 14:02
Oh, and in May, I'd possibly still bring a jacket, and almost definitely wouldn't hike without at a poncho (or jacket) on. It's really not often warm enough yet that time year to hike in the rain, especially further north like PA, NY, etc etc etc. At least, not for me.

Deadeye
05-09-2012, 14:25
My choice is an umbrella

JoshAuerbach
05-09-2012, 14:27
Thanks! I'm starting at Springer Mountain so I figure a poncho would do then. I was looking at this http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___77706 as a possibility. I like the extra pack coverage.

Odd Man Out
05-09-2012, 14:42
The other day I was out for a walk on a cool day with light rain. I had my "waterproof breathable" jacket on (North Face Venture) and of course started to overheat. But in those shoulder seasons, walking in the rain would have been a bit chilly. I spontaneously came up with nice option. I put my arms out through the pit zip opening so my arms were exposed but my torso was covered, making this essentially a rain vest instead of a rain jacket. My arms acted as radiators, helping me stay cooler, without getting my torso wet. If I got cold, I just put my arms back in the sleeves (could be done while walking). I don't think it makes a huge difference, but it can possible extend the functional temperature range of your WP/B rain jacket. Maybe other people use this trick, although I do not recall seeing it mentioned before.