PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

Spoppy
05-09-2012, 15:15
Just wanted to induce myself and ask a question or two. I'm an old section hiker who's last walk was in 1998! Was headed for Hot Springs to Damascus and got snowed in at Uncle Johnny's. After a day or two, Johnny gave us a ride to Bill People's place where did some slack packing until our time ran out. Since then I've spent my time over seas in such places as Iraq and Afghanistan. I returned back home last August and was again engulfed with the desire to complete the trail. Needless to say, my gear has aged as much as I have and is in dire straits! I am planning on upgrading and replacing everything from boot to stove before this fall and will be asking for suggestions from everyone.

Most importantly I wanted to ask about a few people I've met on the trail and asking for any updates on theses guys. Prior to dropping off the trail in 1998 I met Pa Pa, Pirate, Red Wolf, Trashman and Cowboy doing the section from Atkins to Damascus. These gents have kept me motivated and longing to get back to the trail after so many years away. If anyone knows them, please let me know how they are.

Back then I went by the trail name "Snail", but after 10 years in the middle east I now have been tagged Gray Fox. Anyway, I'm glad to be here and thanks for any information on these guys.

Spoppy
05-09-2012, 15:29
"induce myself" is really not what I wanted to do! How about introduce myself...

Rasty
05-09-2012, 15:31
Welcome Home!

flemdawg1
05-09-2012, 15:48
Just wanted to induce myself and ask a question or two. I'm an old section hiker who's last walk was in 1998! Was headed for Hot Springs to Damascus and got snowed in at Uncle Johnny's. After a day or two, Johnny gave us a ride to Bill People's place where did some slack packing until our time ran out...

Does BOB Peoples have a brother? LOL

Welcome.

Spoppy
05-10-2012, 04:31
Good grief....that is one reason I was never allowed to play with nuclear weapons; dyslexia and the inability to spell a word without the help of spell check or the proof reader eyes of my wife!

Rocket Jones
05-10-2012, 05:56
Welcome! For some, the trail never really lets go.

Spoppy
05-10-2012, 08:07
You are so correct. After almost 14 years away all it took was re-reading some old journal entries and I was hooked immediately! I am driven to complete what I started, but at 57 I am learning to embrace my age and again chase my dream but at a slower pace, lighter load, and shorter steps!

Rain Man
05-10-2012, 08:19
... at 57 I am learning to embrace my age and again chase my dream but at a slower pace, lighter load, and shorter steps!

Ahhhh ... you're a YOUNGSTER compared to many AT hikers! I myself am 60. But you are correct, hikers with some maturity learn to hike with lighter packs, with lighter steps, and perhaps a lighter pace, ... but sometimes for longer periods. One of my younger hiking partners just said last week that he's worn out near the end of the day, when I'm ready to do another couple of miles. In any event, I like the analogy that one does not sing a song with the intent to see how fast he can get done with it, but rather to enjoy it at its proper tempo.

Anyway, welcome back and ENJOY!

Rain:sunMan

Spoppy
05-10-2012, 08:38
Rain man - I owe you a beer! I have not been called youngster in a very long time. Thanks for the encouragement. With all the life lessons I've learned from the trail, the one that sticks with me everyday is - its about the journey not the destination.

turtle fast
05-10-2012, 09:10
Pirate is still a trail fixture, he helps out at Mountain Crossings occasionally and a good chance you would run into him at Trail Days. Red Wolf.....hmm I know their is one here on Whiteblaze, but unsure if the same person.

Spoppy
05-10-2012, 12:52
Sweet, thanks for the update on Pirate and Red Wolf.