PDA

View Full Version : Basic trail topics for Springer Mt. to Erwin TN.

Kool-Aid
05-09-2012, 18:24
I am getting things together for this section and I would like some info on the trail. All of my hiking has been out west, but I do not suspect hiking to be any different out east. I have always used a Bear Vault to protect my food, I suspose this is acceptable on all sections of the AP? How are the water sources? Trail safety?

Any info would be nice....and yes, I have read through a lot of this site, and yes I know a lot of info has been talked about a lot, but I would like to have some feedback anyway. Thanks!:)

Montana Mac
05-09-2012, 18:33
I am getting things together for this section and I would like some info on the trail. All of my hiking has been out west, but I do not suspect hiking to be any different out east. I have always used a Bear Vault to protect my food, I suspose this is acceptable on all sections of the AP? How are the water sources? Trail safety?

Any info would be nice....and yes, I have read through a lot of this site, and yes I know a lot of info has been talked about a lot, but I would like to have some feedback anyway. Thanks!:)

As far as I know there is only one short section where you need a bear proof container if you are going to be camping overnight.

You may actually discover you have more ups and downs then you do hiking the western mountains. My experience out west is that often times once you gain elevation you will stay up on the ridgeline. On the AT every “gap” means a decent into it and a climb out of it.

Also normally the western trails offer more panoramic views. Depending on when you hike you will better understand the meaning of the phrase “The Green Tunnel”.

Yes hiking is hiking but there are difference.

Kool-Aid
05-09-2012, 18:46
I am expecting more ups and downs and less views. And I am hoping for more water and shade!

I like using bear vault because it keep most everything out and it is easy to tie up to a tree. It's a little extra weight, but I have never used anything else. I guess other hikers will not freak out that I tie my vault up to a tree?

moldy
05-09-2012, 19:38
If you plan to depart soon, water should be no problem. I carry only about 40 liquid OZ in 2 soda bottles. You will be in the shade over 90% of the time. I skip the sunglasses. The usual trail plagues you will face could be heat, skeeters/black flys, poison ivy and a few snakes and bears. You won't always find space in a shelter but you will see other hikers every day. Expect GSMNP to be crowded. There is plenty of firewood if you camp away from shelters. If it gets hot and stays hot you could find that the Forrest Service pulls the trigger on a fire ban quickly. A 40 degree bag is all you will need. A light tent that will keep the bugs out is a plus. You will never need to carry more than 5 days supply of food.

waasj
05-09-2012, 20:38
Cool section of trail!! Bear vault will probably come in handy, but I think the only area it is actually required is in the Blood Mountain area. Very shady tunnel punctuated by views that are pretty splendid. Weather can be an issue especialy in spring summer. Rain every day is not unheard of. You may not have to worry about reservations in the GSMNP. When I went through there a few years back, if your starting point was more than 50 miles outside of the park, you were considered a through hiker. No safety issues that I have encountered other than the usual bugs and critters. I have not run into any problems with people on the trail. Still, it pays to keep an eye on the details and be reay to move on if the vibe sets your spider senses tingling. Be sure to stop at the fire towers (Shuckstack, Cramerer, Albert et al). Left some beers under the big boulder in the spring at Backcountry site 113 in the Smokeys. Might be worth a look on the downstream side.

Kool-Aid
05-12-2012, 16:13
I will start tomorrow at the approach trail head, any last words?

Biggie Master
05-12-2012, 16:21
I will start tomorrow at the approach trail head, any last words?

Enjoy yourself!

Praha4
05-12-2012, 16:32
the buffet at the Amicalola Falls State Park Lodge (at top of the falls) is worth the visit!