PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Trail Final Gear List-Summer 2012 Solo Hike - Comments???

q-tip
05-09-2012, 19:16
A few notes: Colorado Trail Solo Hike July-Aug 2012
I was working toward a 14 lb base weight and ended up at 16 lbs. BUMMER-but this is a solo trek and safety does come first and I’m 56-a little less able to handle long-term deprivations.

Pack: tried ULA Ohm 2.0-coulnd’t fit all my gear went with GG Crown 60. (+ 6 oz.)
Tent-bought Six Moons Wild Oasis-it failed after three days of solid rain-too risky back to my TT Contrail. (+10 oz.)
Pad: tried blue pad, no sleeping and the short Neo kept me up at night-hence-regular. (+6 oz.)
Bag-WM Alpinlite got the overfill for an extra 3 oz.-added 5 d of warmth.
Clothing-I know too much but I hate the cold and tried less in 35 d rain-didn’t work.
Medications-have to use a liquid med-no alternatives…(+7 oz.)
Stove-Alcohol loses some heating properties at 10,000 ft.
Water Treatment-I dehydrate very quickly need the immediate drinking ability and I can carry less H2O.
Physical Shape-Training for 3 months-lost 41 lbs. 4 to go.

Final ColoradoTrail GearList-2012

Big Three:

Weight Oz.

Wt. Lbs.

Granite Gear Crown 60

o Pack Cover-

· TT Contrail/Wild Oasis

o Ground Cloth-

o Stakes (8)-

o Stuff Sack-

· WM Alpinlite 20 Degree Down Bag

o Stuff Sacks

· Thermarest Neo Air

Total:

Clothing (Carried)

· MB Wind Pants-

· Marmot Mica Jacket-

· Marmot Dri-Climb Vest

· Mont Bell Down Camp Jacket-

· Silk Lite Weight Sleep Shirt-

· Silk LiteWeight Sleep Leggings-

· Sleep Socks (1)-Polartec

· Hiking Socks (X-tra-1)-

· Sock Liners (X-tra-1)-

· Nike Hiking Leggings-

· Fleece Hat (1)-

· Running Gloves

Camp Gloves

· Garbage Bag Rain Shirt-

· Bandana

· Running Hat-

`

· Stuff Sack-

· Sunglasses

· Dirty Girl Gaiters

· Mesh Camp Shoes

· Pillow Cover

Total:

Hygiene/Medical/Emergency/Stuff

· Tooth Brush-Toothpaste

· First Aid Kit-

o Medical Tape-

-

o Gauze-1 Roll-

-

o 3 Band Aids-

-

o 3 Alcohol Wipes-

-

o Tweezer-

· Toilet Paper-

· Hand Sanitizer-

· Vitamin I-

· Medications-

· Sun Screen-

· Lip Balm-

· Duct Tape-

· Emergency Kit-

o Needle-Thread-

-

o Safety Pins (4)-

-

o Tent-Pad Repair Kit-

-

· Bic Lighter (1)-

· Waterproof Matches (1 Box)-

· Spare Batteries-

· Pen-Paper-

· Head Lamp-

· Trail Maps-

· Deet-

· Extra Plastic Bags-

People Spray

Total:

Cook System:

· Soto Stove + Windscreen

· Stuff Sack (Stove)-

· Fuel (8 oz)-

· Cook Pot-

· Spoon- (2)

· Stuff Sack (Food)-

· Bear Rope-

· Towel-

· Pot Stabilizer

Total:

Water Treatment:

· Steri Pen w/ Batteries-Case-

· Aqamira Tabs

· Nalgene UL Water Bottle (1)-

Nalgene Soft Bottle

· MSR Bladder (80 oz)-

Total:

Wearing:

· Ex Officio Long Sleeve Shirt-

· Running Shorts-

· Hiking Socks-

· Sock Liners-

· Hiking Poles-Leki-

· Montrail AT + Train Runners

Nikon Coolpix 12 mpx

· Knife/Whistle/Compass-

· Heart Rate Monitor-

· Knee Brace

Ankle Brace

Total:

Electronics:

· MP3/Headphones/Charger-

· Cell Phone/Charger

Total:

Other:

· Ditty Bag-

o Credit Cards (2)-

-

o Cash-

-

o Drivers License-

-

o Insurance Card-

-

o Phone Card-

-

o Extra Reading Glasses (1)-

o Emergency Numbers-

Total:

Total Cost:

Food-Water

Water Carried-

Food-5 Days-1.5 Lbs/Day (26 OZ.)

Totals:

Grand Totals:

Base Weight In Pack:

Weight Worn:

Skin-Out Base Weight:

Weight Pack+Food+Water

Total Skin Out Weight:

Cookerhiker
05-09-2012, 20:19
I was going to say you had too many layers but then I read your comment "I know too much but I hate the cold and tried less in 35 d rain-didn’t work." so if that's your preference, so be it

Not being a gearhead, it wasn't clear to me if you have rain pants or rain jacket. I know hiking in them is a drag but there's a good chance your rain won't arrive until you're in camp when raingear does keep you dry - it did for me last year.

I see you have both a steripen and Aqua Mira. All I brought was Aqua Mira drops and never was inconvenienced i.e. I was never delayed after filling water solely because I was waiting the 20 minuts for the AM to be absorbed.

Why are you carrying an MP3 Player?

q-tip
05-09-2012, 21:57
MP3-love music after hiking...not wanna have-gotta have

Hole-In-The-Hat
05-10-2012, 00:27
Q-tip, you've given this some thought - it looks pretty complete!

You could save some weight by using alcohol / alcohol stove - I had no problems cooking with alcohol on the CT, it doesn't seem to be affected much by altitude.

Why the garbage bag rain shirt when you have a rain jacket?

0.5 ounces of sunscreen would last me about 5 days... will you be re-supplying frequently? Also - I would recommend taking DEET.

skinewmexico
05-10-2012, 00:35
Featured article on BPL today is about hiking the CDT. And the gear review is about the AC 60.

RodentWhisperer
05-10-2012, 10:00
This definitely looks to be a well-thought-out list! Regarding the MP3, I'd say it's a "luxury item"-- something you're to which you're entitled. I know people who won't part with their binoculars, playing cards, coffee press, etc. And (speaking to you as an epileptic who's always concerned about seizing in the middle of the wilderness), I'd say any medications/supplements you need to see you through are non-negotiable.

Most of my thoughts about your list are questions. Why do you need the garbage bag and the Marmot Mica jacket? And two spoons? Those choices seem redundant to me, so I'm probably not understanding your needs. Where did you find a pen/paper that weigh only 0.5 oz together? Based upon what I know, that would be a very small notepad. What is "people spray" and why do you need it, exactly? How did you calculate the weight of your stove fuel? Is "8 oz" really 8 fluid ounces? If so, then I suspect the fuel weight is actually (substantially) greater than indicated in your list.

I was a little worried about some things, like other commentators are: only 0.5 oz of sunscreen (although with a long sleeve shirt, leggings, and a sun hat-- you're going to wear one, right?-- you should be fine for a week or so); only 5 days of food (entirely possible, but somewhat problematic-- there are stretches of the CT that don't look to offer convenient resupply-- perhaps that's your estimate); and I'm not sure you should worry about taking the Steripen (I use one too, and love it, but AquaMira is every bit as effective and lighter), a heart rate monitor (unless that's a medical need), and your cell phone charger (you likely will only have service when you're in town for resupply, so turn the phone on only then, call home, talk to everyone, and turn the phone off-- a fully charged phone should last for 24-48 hours of use/talk).

q-tip
05-10-2012, 12:23
Thank you for the comments-my thinking:

Garbage Bag Rain Shirt-worked well for me on the AT in Nov. high wind and rain-negotiable
Fuel:I am using canned gas, this might be a light estimate-probably more like 10-11 oz.
Paper pen;just bringing a couple of sheets and a light pen-maybe 1 oz.
Sun screen;I will be wearing all the protection and could carry more-+2 oz.
Food-great point. this is an estimate. I usually carry light on food as I am not a strong hiker-tough choices every resupply. How much do you all carry /day on the CT?? How much snacks-and are lots of them (maybe starting with 2 lbs./5 day really necessary???)
Steripen-probably luxury but I like it. I expect it to fail at some point as mine did on the AT-probably wouldn't replace it.
I will be using a bounce box-chargers can go in these
Could easily drop a spoon
People Spray in a 1 oz. bear spray Do I need it???????

Thanks Much and look forward to your additional comments.

Cookerhiker
05-10-2012, 13:47
Re. food, I don't recall you saying whether you're doing mail drops or not. This has a bearing on the first 100 miles; as discussed in other threads including this good one on resupply options (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?67659-Colorado-Trail-Trail-resupply-points), resupply before Breckenridge is limited unless you send yourself maildrops. Jefferson is a logical place since it's not a bad hitch from Kenosha Pass, the store has a deli, and the people in the store are hiker-friendly.

After Breck, the only other real challenge for resupply is after leaving Salida where you have 90 miles to San Luis Pass (difficult-but-not-impossible access to Creede) or 103 miles to Spring Creek Pass, a paved road but 33 miles from Creede. The latter is closer to Lake City but I don't believe there's a grocery store there.

I didn't have the impression that you were a 20 mile-per-day guy in which case, I would (and did) pack 6 days worth of meals upon leaving Salida. True, I made it on the 6th day meaning I only needed 5 dinners & breakfasts but were I doing it again, I'd still pack 6. I made it to San Luis Pass on the 6th day largely on the strength of 3 days of 19-18.5-19 mile days, necessitated more by water availability (or lack thereof) than anything else. Anyway, I'd bring 6 to be on the safe side

It's a stupendous trail! Good luck!

Cookerhiker
05-10-2012, 13:55
Oh, one other point regarding food planning and saving weight: there are 2 easy opportunities to slackpack on the CT - this would save you weight when leaving the communities i.e. one less meal:

1. Breckenridge - spend an extra night in the hostel and slackpack the Tenmile Ridge (Segment 7). You can use the free bus system.
2. Creede - spend an extra night and slack Segment 21 from San Luis Pass to Spring Creek Pass.

Mags
05-10-2012, 18:01
Bear spray? IMO not needed for Colorado. There are only black bears in Colorado that tend to be shy. Use normal bear precautions and you should be fine. The bears in Colorado are not the habituated ones you find in the Sierra....nevermind the aggressive griz you may find in Montana.

RodentWhisperer
05-10-2012, 19:33
Mags and Cookerhiker have more expertise than I, so I defer to them on bears/food. From what I know, Colorado's black bears are quite shy, except for the few that have learned to hang out near towns/established, popular campgrounds. Even they are rarely seen until September, when they start gorging food as prep for hibernation.

When I've been out on long hikes, I've used Mike Clelland's tip about food: for days 1-7, 1.5 lb/day; days 8-14, 1.7 lb/day; and from day 15 onward, 2 lb/day. I find those rough estimates fit with my metabolism (which speeds up as the hike goes on).

Cookerhiker
05-10-2012, 19:49
Actually Mags has the expertise as does Bear Creek - I just happened to thruhike the CT last year and the experience is still fresh in mind. Never saw a bear and contrary to my practice in the East, I kept my food in the tent.

Mags
05-12-2012, 16:04
Another thought occurred to me, you want to get to 10lbs, but you are at 16.

So, my question is, why worry about the six lbs? It seems you've already tried other options (foam pad vs. a more insulated pad, a larger shelter, more vs less clothing) and could not sleep and relax with the the more minimalist kit. Saving weights means nothing if you can't sleep and enjoy the hike. :)

Get rid of the MP3 player and bear spray if you want to get at 15 lbs. (and the camp shoes probably, too)

15 lbs is an excellent weight and is a kit that you obviously thought of.

Could you go lower? Sure. But so could I. I am at roughly 8 lbs (depends on the camera I bring. ;) ), but don't want to shell out the money or go more minimalist than I already am.

Seems like you found a sweet spot that works for you.

In time, you may find a more minimalist hike works. In the mean time, your kit is about right. It will be much lighter than many people out there (trust me!), will still let you have a comfortable hike...and one you will ENJOY.

Have a blast. Gear is well down the list of important things on a hike. :)

I think you have everything dialed in (heck, you tested you gear first!) and should do just fine.

Cookerhiker
05-12-2012, 16:13
Re the camp shoes, I sent mine home from Breckenridge and only once regretted it - when I wanted to splash in Cochetopa Creek after the long dry span (it was too rocky for bare feet). My hiking partner let me use his for the occasion.

q-tip
05-12-2012, 17:30
Mags; many thanks for your review of my kit. I actually feel better having your feedback. I will probably drop a few things to get closer to 15 but like you said, it is a kit I am comfortable with and will give me the confidence to enjoy the walk.

Thanks again---C.

heavyfoot
05-12-2012, 23:47
Great list, Q-Tip. Helpful for me since I'm hiking this summer as well. Congratulations on the 40+ weight loss, incredible!

Redd hiker
10-01-2012, 11:51
Hey Q

Thanks for the list. I'm beginning to plan for a CT thru in 2014 and this list is a great starting point. I'm about 2 - 3 lbs heavier than you with my planning list, looks like I have just a little bit to get rid of.

I was curious how the hike went?

John aka Redd Hiker