PDA

View Full Version : Will staying at a hostel break my bank?

KristalB
05-09-2012, 20:12
I am dropping by the Pine Grove Furnace Hostel some time this summer and I am new to the whole hostel idea. How much can I expect to shell out for bunking there and what will be available to me there? Thanks for your input. :)

kayak karl
05-09-2012, 20:23
did you call them? just a thought. most places i paid $10-20. some shuttles and shower are included (but tip the driver)

Sandy of PA
05-09-2012, 20:26
Ironmasters Hostel was $25 in 2011, no laundry available. Vegetarian spagetti dinner, frozen waffle breakfast. Checkin 5 PM out by 9 AM.

Old Hiker
05-09-2012, 20:29
+1 for the prices from Karl. Also, Mountain Harbor had a killer breakfast for an additional $9. I camped in their parking lot for $7, I think. The Braemer Castle was $35 for a large private room.

Please, please, please,though, when you use the common areas, kitchen, etc. be sure to clean up after yourself. I really don't think maid service should or is included in the prices. Plus, it's just common courtesy.

Lugnut
05-09-2012, 20:35
Kincora is only $4.00 donation which includes laundry, shower and kitchen. Some give more and some give nothing so they can buy more beer in Damascus! :mad:

KristalB
05-09-2012, 20:39
Wise advice, all. Thank you for the insight. It's always sooo appreciated. I'll call Ironmasters Hostel in the morning. If they are full, then I will Google Mountain Harbor or maybe even camp at the campground since it's right there.

Again, thanks for the help, y'all. I hope I find such amazing people on trail as I meet at Whiteblaze.net. :D

Jeff
05-09-2012, 20:40
The thread below was updated in late 2011 but will give you an idea of hostels up and down the AT.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?209-Hostels-and-Lodging-along-the-Appalachian-Trail

KristalB
05-09-2012, 20:56
The thread below was updated in late 2011 but will give you an idea of hostels up and down the AT.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?209-Hostels-and-Lodging-along-the-Appalachian-Trail

GOLDEN! Thank you. :D

WingedMonkey
05-09-2012, 21:05
Wise advice, all. Thank you for the insight. It's always sooo appreciated. I'll call Ironmasters Hostel in the morning. If they are full, then I will Google Mountain Harbor or maybe even camp at the campground since it's right there.

Again, thanks for the help, y'all. I hope I find such amazing people on trail as I meet at Whiteblaze.net. :D

Mountain Harbor and Kincora are in Tennessee. I assume you are only hiking near Pine Grove Pennsylvanian.

Iron Masters is basically a bunk bed and a shower now. You use to be able to use the kitchen there to fix your own meals, that option is no longer allowed.

KristalB
05-10-2012, 08:05
Mountain Harbor and Kincora are in Tennessee. I assume you are only hiking near Pine Grove Pennsylvanian.

Iron Masters is basically a bunk bed and a shower now. You use to be able to use the kitchen there to fix your own meals, that option is no longer allowed.

You def just saved me some Google time. :) Thanks, WingedMonkey.

Deltanicks
05-11-2012, 15:05
hostels are very inexpensive

Spirit Walker
05-11-2012, 16:45
You don't have to stay at the hostel at Pine Grove. There is a campground there with showers, or a nice lake to swim in and camping on the ridge. There is a small store in the park with ice cream and hot dogs and such. There is also a shower at Caledonia SP campground and ice cream during the summer and a small store and pizzaria not far away. I hear there is also a hostel halfway between Pine Grove and Caledonia.

KristalB
05-12-2012, 09:39
Thank you, Spirit Walker. I've been trying to call Ironmasters Hostel, and left a few messages with no return call. Soo.... I'm probably going to take your advice on staying at the park. We have reservations at Caledonia as well. :D Great advice!!