PDA

View Full Version : AT Elevation Charts

postholer.com
05-09-2012, 23:39
Here's a by product of a project I've been working on. It's a complete set of elevation profiles for the entire trail. The trail is broken up into 23 sections in this case and there's a profile for each one.

http://postholer.com/databook/elev.php?trail_id=3

Have fun! :cool:

-postholer

Gray Blazer
05-10-2012, 09:45
That's pretty awesome. Just added it to my favorites.

Gray Blazer
05-10-2012, 09:49
Just checked out your site. Might be the coolest hiker forum around.

Hobbler
05-10-2012, 09:58
Postholer

Great stuff.....Thanks so much for your efforts in producing this! It will be an awesome aid to the trail community!

Kerosene
05-10-2012, 18:06
Looks great. Thanks. It does appear that the climb of Katahdin isn't included as one of the longest climbs, however.

Cherokee Bill
05-10-2012, 18:31
Thanks for sharing and for the MANY hours you invested in this EXCELLENT piece of work!

postholer.com
05-10-2012, 19:00
Looks great. Thanks. It does appear that the climb of Katahdin isn't included as one of the longest climbs, however.

The algorithm that decides when a climb ends and begins, decided Katahdin is 3 climbs.

Now, a very justified semantic discussion could ensue defining when and where a climb ends and begins! :D

There are an additional 349 elevation charts that are nauseatingly detailed, in the same format, that shows what I'm talking about. The above charts don't show that level of detail. Folks will have access to the detailed charts in a few days.

But hey, let's be real, from a hikers viewpoint Katahdin is one huge climb!

-postholer

Cookerhiker
05-10-2012, 19:38
Very interesting Postholer - thanks.

When I planned last year's Colorado Trail thruhike, I postulated (without looking at the AT stats) that the CT wouldn't be anywhere near as difficult as the AT in New Hampshire & Maine. After the hike, I felt the same way.

So here are some numbers:

For the AT's entire length, the average ascent per mile is 197'. For the CT, it's 184'. Pretty close

Let's look at Killington to Katahdin using Postholer's figures.
AT segments 19-23 total 473 miles. The entire CT is 486. Pretty close.
AT segments 19-23 elevation gain: 114,481. CT's entire elevation gain: 89,334. AT average for these segments: 242'. CT's average: the aforementioned 184'.

Of the CT's 28 segments, only 4 have a higher feet-per-mile than the AT's 242'. The greatest CT segment (#7) which ascends the Tenmile Ridge is 287', less than the AT high from Segment 21 of 307' (again, just looking at AT segments 19-23).

Throw in the fact that the AT in NH & ME has generally more rugged footing and one can conclude that Northern New England on the AT is more of a challenge. Of course, the CT has some rugged footing of its own and one must acclimate but the up-and-down simply isn't as difficult.

What I'd like to see is the outdoor writers for the Colorado media become aware of these stats. I've noted how they disparage Eastern mountains as "foothills" to which I'd like to reply: "come on with me and let's hike up Mt. Katahdin. You should lope up easily. After all, it's only a foothill."

markc7
05-11-2012, 05:58
Thanks for posting these charts!

garlic08
05-11-2012, 09:04
...What I'd like to see is the outdoor writers for the Colorado media become aware of these stats. I've noted how they disparage Eastern mountains as "foothills" to which I'd like to reply: "come on with me and let's hike up Mt. Katahdin. You should lope up easily. After all, it's only a foothill."

Not just Colorado, but much of the west especially California! Nice comparison and I agree, even though I'm a Westerner. Some of my fellow hikers out here look upon the AT with disdain as "that training trail back East", but they've never hiked it. I have, and it has my respect. The AT was the last in my Triple Crown hiking, and I posted my best mileage per day, but that was because of experience and other factors, not ease of trail. It was a real challenge and I ended up falling in love with the AT!

Nice job, Postholer, and thanks much.