PDA

View Full Version : South San Juans, mid-October - bad idea?

heavyfoot
05-10-2012, 09:25
I'm looking at a section hike of about 400 miles but it would put me on the south San Juans early to mid October. I know they can get some snow at the time of year. It this a bad idea? I have no problems hiking in snow but I don't have a good sense of how much snow they can get around then (I'm not in Colorado).

bearcreek
05-10-2012, 09:44
Snow is possible then, but chances are you would be ok. Definitely take a warm sleeping bag. A larger issue is that along the divide in the San Juans, almost the entire month of October is Elk hunting season. You will likely have a lot of company then, and need to wear appropriately colored clothing.

heavyfoot
05-10-2012, 10:55
That is good to know, I'll definitely have blaze orange on me.

bearcreek
05-10-2012, 11:09
You should do it early rather than later and keep an eye on the weather. Wolf Creek Ski area opened on October 8th last year after a early season dump. (I know because I went skiing that day...) That was very unusual, but you need to consider it. FWIW, there are side trails where you can bail off the trail if the need arises. Might be good to carry the Trails Illustrated Maps for the area in case you have to make an exit.

garlic08
05-10-2012, 18:02
Bearcreek nailed it, especially the bail-out plans. In a pinch, the DeLorme Atlas pages work and if you have the atlas already, it's cheaper and lighter. More than a few SOBO CDT hikers have had to bail from the San Juans in October. But plenty make it through without problems. If you run across an elk hunters' camp, it's an excellent place to yogi some coffee and stew so don't be shy.

Mags
05-10-2012, 18:18
If you run across an elk hunters' camp, it's an excellent place to yogi some coffee and stew so don't be shy.

Heck.most of the elk hunters will offer you food even before you have a chance to yogi. :) Good peeps.

October can be an awesome time in the mountains with cool, crisp days and temps perfect for sleeping. Or it can be an early winter. Be prepared. :)