PDA

View Full Version : The Warrior Gene

Mikey Appleseed
05-10-2012, 10:47
Just curious, how many think that theres a connection with hikers and the Warrior Gene? Im sure its not all hikers, but I think alot of us are guided by this Gene. Does anyone think ol Mr. Ward had this extra pep in the step?

RITBlake
05-10-2012, 13:01
I think I speak for everyone when I say, What?

Two Speed
05-10-2012, 13:31
I know some folks that were guided by Gene once. The way I hear it they've sworn off taking his advice on water sources.

Feral Bill
05-10-2012, 14:40
Just curious, how many think that theres a connection with hikers and the Warrior Gene? Im sure its not all hikers, but I think alot of us are guided by this Gene. Does anyone think ol Mr. Ward had this extra pep in the step?In my considered opinion as a biology teacher "warrior gene"=blathering nonsense. Yes, I had to look it up.

Mikey Appleseed
05-10-2012, 14:58
From what I understand, a third of all males on the planet have this gene mutation, but hey, I dont expect someone with it to respond, or maybe there just unaware like most.

Mikey Appleseed
05-10-2012, 15:18
Theres actually no doubt the gene excists, people are in doubt about what it does and how it effects us. Maybe a longer search Feral Bill.

WIAPilot
05-10-2012, 15:32
No, he is correct. It's the ability to quickly assess a situation and the courage to aggressively confront others to defend country, family, beliefs. I see this in pilots all the time.

I don't think hikers in general have this gene at all. Now AT thru hikers - that's a totally different story.

T.S.Kobzol
05-10-2012, 15:42
What is this about? Defending a village from ravaging pillagers?

Defending our country is a very complex task requiring skills from all different facets of 'genes' (if you will)... there is room for geeks to fly the drones, brains to plan appropriate strategy, leaders to make appropriate assessments and yes when the time comes to storm Bin Laden's compound we might bring in the Warriors ;-)

No, he is correct. It's the ability to quickly assess a situation and the courage to aggressively confront others to defend country, family, beliefs. I see this in pilots all the time.

I don't think hikers in general have this gene at all. Now AT thru hikers - that's a totally different story.

Pedaling Fool
05-10-2012, 15:43
I'm kind of skeptical about the existence of this gene, I think it's more a factor of upbringing/training and of course Testosterone does have an effect. But I don't see hikers having extra Testosterone or a warrior gene, if one exists. I would think that would apply more to those that like physical confrontation, such as the fighting sports and other contact sports. Where as the non-contact activities, be it hiking, running, cycling... that's more a factor of just liking to push your body or possibly an ego issue, especially for the people that become professionals in their chosen discipline. But not in all cases, there are a lot of factors here.

If you're going to say that hikers have a so-called warrior gene, then what about all the other physical endeavors people like to participate in? Are you saying there's something special about hikers, in contrast to say a runner or a soccer player, or a...?

Miami Joe
05-10-2012, 15:54
In Israel, the "Warrior Gene" is called conscription.

Spokes
05-10-2012, 16:10
Oh, it exists. Nothing more than an enzyme sequence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monoamine_oxidase_A#Warrior_gene

Rasty
05-10-2012, 16:17
Its not necessarily an aggressive trait. More of a genetic trait about decision making. Those with the trait take calculated risks more often the others.

T.S.Kobzol
05-10-2012, 16:17
Is this about some kind of infatuation ?

I am failing to see the point in the query.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

rocketsocks
05-10-2012, 16:18
I lived in jenes for a long time,and now prefer nylon,I also lived in fear and now prefer the truth.Whether a person has or doesn't have the "Warrior gene"is certainly a interesting topic.Many that do have this I suspect have a better chance at finishing the trail or getting through the difficulties easier than some,and the rest of us that don't will call on our life experiences,to achieve the same.I think it's also important to note that many people achieve great feats out of shear tenacity and pissedoffisness.

Mikey Appleseed
05-10-2012, 16:44
Love it Rocketsocks! Now Kobzol, let me respond with a maybe, and more of an obsession. I was curious about it, I tend to obsess over things and really I dont care who knows or what people think about it. Am I different than most hikers? Maybe thats what im searching for, sorry if it bothers some.

Hooch
05-10-2012, 17:19
I know some folks that were guided by Gene once. The way I hear it they've sworn off taking his advice on water sources.Well played, sir. Well played, indeed. :banana

rocketsocks
05-10-2012, 17:44
Love it Rocketsocks! Now Kobzol, let me respond with a maybe, and more of an obsession. I was curious about it, I tend to obsess over things and really I dont care who knows or what people think about it. Am I different than most hikers? Maybe thats what im searching for, sorry if it bothers some.
Hey Mikey,I hear ya.But one of the things I have found here at White blaze,and other places is that there are many who feel as I,and that I'm not that unique,in fact I'm quite common,and that was a relief,I'm just as meshed up as the next guy.

Odd Man Out
05-10-2012, 17:48
Just curious, how many think that theres a connection with hikers and the Warrior Gene? Im sure its not all hikers, but I think alot of us are guided by this Gene. Does anyone think ol Mr. Ward had this extra pep in the step?

This is a mutation in the upstream regulatory (not coding region) of Monoamine Oxidase A. Read about it here.

http://www.pnas.org/content/106/7/2118.full

I'm curious why you think this has anything to do with hiking? A recent article included a discussion of this gene with regards to the misuse of scientific findings by the media. Here is the abstract (you have to pay to see the whole article - thanks Elsevier).

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0168952511001983

I could read the whole article at work tomorrow, if you are interested (I don't have to pay there).

Mikey Appleseed
05-10-2012, 17:53
I just assume if the #s are correct, theres an army of mutated warrior hikers out there, maybe we can join a club, or use one(just joking).

Feral Bill
05-11-2012, 14:52
Theres actually no doubt the gene excists, people are in doubt about what it does and how it effects us. Maybe a longer search Feral Bill.
A gene exists which has been named "the warrior gene". I have a few issues. 1. Assuming there is a correlation between this gene and behavior, that does not establish any causal relationship. 2. Most traits are governed by multiple genes. It would be extremely surprising to find complex social behavior controlled by a single gene, rather than the interaction of many genes and cultural factors. 3. The name "warrior gene" is a red flag. It is loaded with a positive slant. It could just as easily been called "the bully gene", or "the donkey pit gene" or, more neutrally, "the aggression gene" or "the competitor gene".
Collectively, I have to conclude that bad science and dubious motives are afoot.
Class dismissed.

yellowsirocco
05-11-2012, 15:19
Warrior gene, no. Crazy gene, yes.

Samson
05-11-2012, 17:04
After a stint in the military, I am now guided by the "stay at home with the women folk and talk about what pops up while the other men are out being guided by the warrior gene" gene. It's working out well for me so far.

WingedMonkey
05-11-2012, 18:02
Probably more likely that the trail murderers and attackers and other troublemakers have it, rather than thru-hikers.

Spokes
05-11-2012, 18:06
Lemme see your war face!!!!!!!!

Del Q
05-11-2012, 18:18
Rational Choice - good link

My call........we all have some kind of "spark" inside of our belly, clearly, some more than others. Setting aside research for a moment, I think that it is just the way it is, has always been and will presumably always be......as we evolve, same deal.

Call is a "Warrior Gene", a spark, highly motivated or not............its all inside, all mental.

We all have it, just a matter of degrees of intensity

quilteresq
05-11-2012, 21:17
Not to be difficult, but there is a reason mama bears are more feared than non-mama bears.

Lone Wolf
05-11-2012, 21:44
No, he is

dude. you're way off

WIAPilot
05-12-2012, 00:52
dude. you're way off

I'm not a dude. Women fly. I was referring to hikers who single-mindedly and aggressively pursue the goal of a thru = many of the same traits.

I can tell you though that if there is an "Eeyore Gene" - you definitely have it. :cool:

Lone Wolf
05-12-2012, 05:52
I was referring to hikers who single-mindedly and aggressively pursue the goal of a thru = many of the same traits.

most fail. fact

T.S.Kobzol
05-12-2012, 06:36
Honestly, just because you put the word pilot in your nickname does not automatically make people assume that you really ARE nor do they care so strongly about it either. :-P

Velvet Gooch
05-12-2012, 08:23
No, you're thinking of the hobo gene. Also, most of those carrying the warrior gene are likely in prison.

WIAPilot
05-12-2012, 09:07
[QUOTE=T.S.Kobzol;1287714]Honestly, just because you put the word pilot in your nickname does not automatically make people assume that you really ARE nor do they care so strongly about it either. :-P

I don't care a flip what people think I can do or not do. I do care a flip when it is assumed I am a "dude." So hate to sound like Lone Wolf, but what's your point? It shouldn't matter in the least to you.

T.S.Kobzol
05-12-2012, 09:35
Correct. It does not matter to me. I was just killing time in the morning.

I fine to be annoyed when someone thinks you are a dude but it is not cool to argument it on the basis of your nickname.

WIAPilot
05-12-2012, 09:47
Correct. It does not matter to me. I was just killing time in the morning.

I fine to be annoyed when someone thinks you are a dude but it is not cool to argument it on the basis of your nickname.

Oh OK - I'll be sure to check with you on all future posts of mine. It would kill me to have you think that a post of mine was "not cool." Geez. Get a life man! And just hit the "ignore" button next to my name because God knows I'm now doing that to yours.

oldbear
05-12-2012, 09:54
I definetly don't have the warrior gene ; which is why I got into solo hiking in the first place .

T.S.Kobzol
05-12-2012, 09:59
For a pilot you sure have a short fuse. :-P

Tipi Walter
05-12-2012, 10:05
This is a relevant subject regarding backpacking, and the topic needs to return to backpackers specifically. Why? Cuz this is a backpacking site. There is clearly a Hobo Gene, nuff said. And long term backpackers definitely go thru a wannabe warrior phase whereby they are "curiously aroused" over military gear---jungle boots, alice packs, OG 107 blouses, boonie hats. It could be a fascination with Rambo or a need to think of oneself as a 'Nam vet (for my generation) or a Desert Rat for the younger guys. Desert boots replace jungle boots. I've seen Iraqi vets humping their standard loads but as civilians---sand colored stuff and camelbak gear. But these are genuine warriors and don't really belong in the discussion.

I've seen backpackers go thru this phase, and it's a phase just like all the others and temporary after the realization that Alice packs suk and jungle boots hurt and jungle hats are cotton. I went thru this phase in the early 1980's when I was living out of a pack around Boone NC. The more time I spent in the woods the more I thought of myself as a "jungle expert". Wannabe warrior. Pure fantasy and dementia but young men are prone to self-proclaimed hysteria on a regular basis. We all go thru phases. Just watch Little Big Man. Gunfighter phase, Indian phase, hermit phase, marriage phase, store owner phase, scout phase, etc etc.

The best high quality gear ain't olive drab. The rambo phase ends soon enough after a week at -10F in a blizzard. Then you'll see the cotton and the Alice and the jungle boots replaced with yellow Arcteryx jackets and red tents and blue down bags and green merino tops. But for some odd unexplainable reason the military gear feels right and feels cool. This testosterone rush hits the brain and it just feels right hiking along in camo and such. Self-proclaimed warrior status, etc.

But the best and the lightest high quality gear ain't olive drab. And you'll never feel like a warrior wearing shorts over long john bottoms and a red North Face t-shirt with a blue baseball cap.

Odd Man Out
05-12-2012, 10:23
I would say that you all are free to discuss how certain personality traits influence hiking. But any claim that a specific gene is (or is not) found in any individual or group of people can ONLY be justified by a DNA sequencing/genetic analysis. So any intermingling of the two topics can only be classified as pseudoscience. But then again, this being WB.net, you all are free to do that too. :rolleyes:

Mikey Appleseed
05-12-2012, 21:01
Thank you Spokes, the wiki link is very interesting, Henry Rollins would be proud. The name calling is silly, now whats really important is the link to psychopathic disorders, massive depression disorders, and other fine symtoms. I made light of it, but I really want to spread awareness that mental issues can be helped and its links to Massive depression and psychopathic disorders are eye opening to say the least. Im sure we all have met a disturbed hiker, maybe this thread could help others feel like its O.K. to be sick, and its O.K. to seek treatment in search of a normal life. Its not O.K. to bring your sickness upon others. I will be glad to throw myself under the bus, because I seek to be normal and hope this helps others seek help before its too late. Im not a hobo, but I am willing to learn.

double d
05-14-2012, 12:40
I think of it more in terms of a "survival" gene then a warrior gene out on the trails. Warrior genes exist in hard hiking places like some Afghan mountain, at least, in my opinion.

lemon b
05-14-2012, 13:21
Mickey Ward must have it. Ward Leonard has something else. Like the superman gene.