PDA

View Full Version : columbia long sleeve fishing shirt

rdaviskiwi
05-10-2012, 11:42
I would like an opinion on wearing the Columbia long sleeve fishing shirt. They are light and ventilates well and it can be long sleeve or short sleeve. I am going on the AT for a month in June to prepare and test the waters for a thru next march, so I have limited . thanks

bfayer
05-10-2012, 12:27
I have 2. A long sleeve and a short. They are a couple of years old are have held up great.

Everything you said is true.

You do need to know that they start to stink faster than any other shirt I own, and a simple rinse and dry in the creek is not going to help a whole lot.

The other issue is they wrinkle something awful when packed.

If smell and wrinkles are not a worry, they are a good value in a shirt.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Montana Mac
05-10-2012, 13:58
If I wasn't wearing a synthetic T shirt it was a fishing shirt. It was the only long sleeve shirt I carried and held up for the length of my hike.

Fortunately I did not have the hiker funk stink problem with mine.

BigRing
05-10-2012, 19:30
I wear one too and it is the best shirt I have found that dries quickly and holds up well. I have not had the smell problem either.

Del Q
05-10-2012, 19:51
Merino wool tee shirts, Icebreaker is a solid company, all that I wear...........hot, cold, wet, awesome gear.

Save your shirt for fishing...............or with jeans.

bigcranky
05-10-2012, 20:20
I like my Columbia fishing shirts for travel, sometimes for work, hiking out West where I need the long sleeves for sun protection, and for kayaking. I do see a lot of hikers wearing this sort of shirt on the AT, but I prefer a knit base layer shirt, loose fitting, in very light merino wool. The fishing shirt isn't as comfortable for me when wearing a pack.

The chest pockets are awesome, though.

HiKen2011
05-10-2012, 20:43
I like my Columbia fishing shirts for travel, sometimes for work, hiking out West where I need the long sleeves for sun protection, and for kayaking. I do see a lot of hikers wearing this sort of shirt on the AT, but I prefer a knit base layer shirt, loose fitting, in very light merino wool. The fishing shirt isn't as comfortable for me when wearing a pack.

The chest pockets are awesome, though.

I agree with Big Cranky, great shirt though!

rdaviskiwi
05-11-2012, 08:05
Thanks for the replies, I weighed the columbia and a shirt sleeve knit and it was only 1 ounce difference and all the pockets and versatility are well worth the ounce. I think I will try it for a week then if I dont like it I can change out for another shirt in a bounce box. Im in glenwood springs colorado and went on a 7 mile hike, 3.5 mile straight up and vise versa. I really enjoyed the shirt on this hike but the humidity is quite different than the south, so I am anxious to see what it feels like down south.

Rif
05-11-2012, 10:19
I wear these type shirts exclusively for day hikes and vacation travel. I am a bit conservative in dress (Mennonite) and just like having a collared shirst rather than a jersey/pullover. The looser fit also feels cooler on my body and the front pockets are great for trail bars, etc.... if you like to snack while hiking instead of sitting. The light, loose shirts also seem to dry faster while walking than tighter fitting jerseys.

I like these for vacation travel too as they pack small, look dressy enough for dinners out and with a soapy rinse in a sink they are ready for another day if needed. I have not noticed any odor with the brands I have tried (Bean's and Caberla's) but always do at least a sink wash before wearing twice.

Tony

Spoppy
05-11-2012, 13:25
Great shirts, the 3 I own survived 21/2 years in Afghanistan and are still making me look good on the trail!