PDA

View Full Version : Rehydrating dehydrated meal

wbjdmd
05-10-2012, 11:50
I have just completed preparing dehydrated meals for an upcoming trip. I am new to dehydrating so I am hoping for some advice on rehydrating on the trail. My intention is to rehydrate these as freezer bag meals. For instance, I have dehydrated a corn chowder that was 22oz pre dehydration and 5 oz after. Also did East Indian Curry Chicken that was 28 oz pre dry and dehydrated weight was 6oz. My logic says add 17 and 22 oz of water and presto, its back hydrated. Is this right? Is it just trial and error or are there some better guidelines to go by? Help please.

Tipi Walter
05-10-2012, 12:00
Very cool and right where I'm at too. In a drying frenzy. I too am drying soups and canned chilis and even refried beans. Do this: Take one of your dried meals at home and cook it up tonight. You don't want to be surprised out on the trail. I use a liter cook pot and put in enough water to fill it 3/4ths or near the top. Cook. You can always add more water. No sweat.

Rocket Jones
05-10-2012, 12:08
...and the magic ingredient is instant mashed potato flakes. Carry some to toss into the bag if you've added a little too much water.

wbjdmd
05-10-2012, 12:14
Thats just the kind of advice I need! Still , is it logical to had the weight volume of water that was dehydrated off to reconstitute my dehydrated meals?

WingedMonkey
05-10-2012, 12:21
For wet foods like sauces or beans, I generally go by liquid measure in cups or fluid ounces instead of weight. I use slightly less than the amount of water required to bring it back to it's original volume. You can always add more liquid, hard to remove too much.

wbjdmd
05-10-2012, 12:25
Will have to keep that in mind BEFORE I dehydrate next time! Its hard to get the predehydrated liquid volume after the fact! That one possibility I didn't consider. I wrote down all kinds of stuff before dehydrating but not the liquid volume!

Pedaling Fool
05-10-2012, 15:34
I don't buy dehydrated meals, all my meals I dehydrate at home, usually a bunch of veggies and jerkies, so I'm not sure if it's the same for store-bought dehydrated foods, but FWIW.

I never have a problem with rehydrating, but I have had a problem with overcooking my dehydrated foods, except the jerkies. So, I've learned to put all the veggies in the rice about 5-10 minutes before it's done, as opposed to throwing the veggies in the water from the beginning. However, I do usually throw the jerky in the water from the beginning. There's a little bit of a learning curve, like spinach is usually one of the last things I throw in and tomatoes are one of the first things I throw in.... The problem with overcooking dehydrated foods is that they lose their taste.