PDA

View Full Version : GoLite's President Demetri Coupounas talks company strategy & product design

askurka
05-10-2012, 12:17
Some of you have probably noticed that for the past year GoLite has been offering very low -- almost going-out-of-business low -- prices and opening up its own stores throughout the West; it also is no longer selling through the traditional retail market. I interviewed GoLite's President, Demetri Coupounas, yesterday to give him a chance to explain their new "direct" strategy. We also talked about product design, which has been "liberated" (his words) by their new business model -- specifically, it gives GoLite the sales volume necessary to produce niche products (think: Ion pack) and to enter product categories that they previously could not (e.g. merino wool base layers, free-standing tents).

Not sure if they'll be at Trail Days next weekend, but if so it'd be a good chance to buy a Jam pack for $80 and merino wool shirts for $45.

Here's the interview: http://andrewskurka.com/2012/demetri-coupounas-golite/ (http://andrewskurka.com/2012/demetri-coupounas-golite/)

map man
05-11-2012, 01:02
Andrew Skurka, thanks for linking to the interview. I thought it was interesting and informative. I'm looking forward to having a look at those light free-standing tents when they are introduced. I hope that the current low price points can work for GoLite in the long run.

And thank you, thank you, for the thought and time and effort you put into the content on your web-site. I've learned stuff over the years about individual pieces of equipment, but more importantly about the philosophical underpinnings which inform gear choices. It's helped clarify my thinking about backpacking from time to time.

rocketsocks
05-11-2012, 01:30
I appreciate the transparency of any company,I think with the Internet type cottage businesses will see more of that in years to come,very refreshing.Thanks for posting Andrew....like the new book.

Big Dawg
05-11-2012, 01:30
Andrew Skurka,
And thank you, thank you, for the thought and time and effort you put into the content on your web-site. I've learned stuff over the years about individual pieces of equipment, but more importantly about the philosophical underpinnings which inform gear choices. It's helped clarify my thinking about backpacking from time to time.

Yes,, me too,, thank you!!

Andrew,, will you be at Trail Days? I didn't see you on the vendor list. Was hoping to meet you and pick up your book there.

leaftye
05-11-2012, 01:34
Yeah, I'm wondering about that free standing tent. I don't know how it can become the new lightest without some uncomfortably small dimensions.

While they had that big sale recently, I'm hoping that this leads both to success and lower everyday prices.

I think it's a shame that normal folks won't get a chance to see them in other retail establishments though. That might make finding new customers challenging. What other diverse companies do that successfully? I can only think of LL Bean and Cabelas.

rocketsocks
05-11-2012, 01:58
Yeah, I'm wondering about that free standing tent. I don't know how it can become the new lightest without some uncomfortably small dimensions.

While they had that big sale recently, I'm hoping that this leads both to success and lower everyday prices.

I think it's a shame that normal folks won't get a chance to see them in other retail establishments though. That might make finding new customers challenging. What other diverse companies do that successfully? I can only think of LL Bean and Cabelas.

I too am curious,just how much lighter a free standing tent can be made,and still be not only light,but priced competivley with out sacreficing demension and quality,as "Coup" said in the interview "you pretty much get what you pay for"

Veetack
05-11-2012, 02:51
Thanks for the article! This is a company that I haven't seen anything from in stores here and have been curious about checking out. After reading the article and checking out the site, I'll definitely be making at least a few purchases from here.

WIAPilot
05-11-2012, 03:01
I thought this was an excellent interview!

Johnny Thunder
05-11-2012, 03:22
interesting. especially after seeing golite branded and tagged products in a department store in my tiny city in south korea.

Firefighter503
05-11-2012, 11:06
Thanks for the read. Love my GoLite gear, and like the direction the company is going.

Tipi Walter
05-11-2012, 13:31
I'm still curious over Demetri's 40 day AT attempt with a 127 lb pack (and 8 lbs of chocolate). This would've been my top interview subject.

askurka
05-15-2012, 10:25
Yes,, me too,, thank you!!

Andrew,, will you be at Trail Days? I didn't see you on the vendor list. Was hoping to meet you and pick up your book there.

Would love to be, but I have a scheduling conflict with a guided trip in Yosemite. Maybe next year...

Glad you all liked the article. I thought it was a good opportunity for Coup to explain the unconventional things that their customers have been seeing recently.