PDA

View Full Version : Isopropane canisters in Europe

Ramblin' Randy
05-10-2012, 22:51
I'm beginning to plan a long hike of the Camino de Santiago and the LePuy approach trail next year. I currently use an MSR reactor, but I am concerned that I won't be able to find compatible canisters while in Europe. I'd rather not buy a Gazbleuet stove which will be redundent as soon as I get home unless I have no good option. Can anyone tell me if MSR compatible canisters are readily available in Europe?

leaftye
05-11-2012, 00:21
I can't imagine that they wouldn't have isobutane canisters there, especially when we buy European isobutane stoves here.

Ramblin' Randy
05-15-2012, 09:04
No, you are correct. Gaz-bleuet canisters are very common, according to the info I can find. I'm thinking of MSR compatible canisters. I'm pretty sure they are not utterly unavailable, but I need to know whether the non Gaz-bleuet canisters are common. Gaz-bleuet attaches differently from the rest, so I'd have to get a different stove from the MSR I use now if that is the only kind of canister widely found. The Camino de Santiago, and even moreso the French portion, Le Chemin de St Jacques, can get pretty remote, I've been told.

puschel
05-15-2012, 13:43
The MSR canisters are not common. You can get them at outdoor stores. So you dont have a regular supply. On the Camino de Santiago most people dont use stoves. They use the hostels and hotels and their resturants. In summer you are not welcommed in many areas with stoves or fires because its a dry area with a high risk of bushfires. If you want regular supply you have to use a modell with Gaz-canisters.

leaftye
05-15-2012, 15:52
What about an adapter?

http://www.hitchnhike.co.uk/acatalog/edelrid_valve_cartridge_adapter.html

You can probably find them here, but I haven't looked. If not, you can probably ship to a place in Europe where you can pick it up before your trip. Do they have something like USPS General Delivery or Mail Boxes Etc that allows that? If not, maybe a hostel.

Okay, I looked a little more. It looks like this shop ships internationally.
http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/index.php