PDA

View Full Version : Real late start

boogiepicker
05-11-2012, 01:52
Hey guys,

So me and a friend are gonna be going to Bonnaroo this year (super excited). We're both from NY and are thinking about hiking our way back up via the AT. There are some major complications though. We wouldn't be starting until June 11th. Granted we wouldn't be starting at Springer, we'd be starting probably somewhere in the Smokys (Bonnaroo is in Manchester, TN). And we wouldn't have to worry about making in to Katahdin because we would be ending at Bear Mountain in NY. The trip would be around 1200-1300 miles. Do you guys have any suggestions/recommendations/observations?

rocketsocks
05-11-2012, 02:17
Hey guys,

So me and a friend are gonna be going to Bonnaroo this year (super excited). We're both from NY and are thinking about hiking our way back up via the AT. There are some major complications though. We wouldn't be starting until June 11th. Granted we wouldn't be starting at Springer, we'd be starting probably somewhere in the Smokys (Bonnaroo is in Manchester, TN). And we wouldn't have to worry about making in to Katahdin because we would be ending at Bear Mountain in NY. The trip would be around 1200-1300 miles. Do you guys have any suggestions/recommendations/observations?
Do you own a guide book of the AT,if so which one?

rocketsocks
05-11-2012, 02:22
This is the one I'd recommend http://www.theatguide.com/ it is widely used,and has a lot of good info in it,shelters,resupply,maps,water locations.If your questions are specific,ask away.

rocketsocks
05-11-2012, 02:32
Boogiepicker,I now see It is your very first post,that entitles you to a big :welcometo White Blaze.

Veetack
05-11-2012, 02:57
Well, I will say that the long walk home will help you forget the terrible lineup at Bonnaroo this year. All that aside, I think a good starting point would be near Max Patch, which is just north of GSMNP and about 240 miles north of Springer (I think, I'm at work and don't have my thru hikers companion with me). Assuming you're in relatively good shape, I see no reason you shouldn't be able to cover 12-1300 miles in less than three months. 3 months isn't even 15 miles a day, so you should make it home easily before it even gets cold.

Veetack
05-11-2012, 02:57
Oh, Welcome to the site.

from another newbie :)

Daisylopez
05-11-2012, 12:46
welcome as well (:

neonshaw
05-11-2012, 16:02
go for it you only live once

Ender
05-11-2012, 16:46
Welcome.

And I agree with all the others. Since you're stopping at Bear Mountain, you'll have plenty of time to do that distance.

boogiepicker
05-12-2012, 01:23
Thanks for the welcome :-D

And thanks for the info. I'm definitely gonna look into that guide book. And yeah since we're only going to Bear Mountain time isn't a big deal. Can't wait!

ATMountainTime
05-13-2012, 15:26
I can solve the issue, you can give ME the Bonaroo tickets, and you can go hiking. :banana

bonarusa
05-14-2012, 18:14
My wife and I are doing the AT and Bonnaroo this year. Wanna give is a lift on your way there?