PDA

View Full Version : 100 Miles and Katahdin: July August, or September?

Tramper Al
04-07-2005, 14:23
So,

If you were a leisurely sectioneer like myself, and you wanted to finish your region's AT in style, when would you do it?

I plan to hike the 100 Mile and right into Baxter. I will spend a little extra time in the park, walking the Knife Edge, and stuff like that. I am think late August to Labor Day might be a nice time to go, though I could easily reschedule for earlier in summer.

What do you think? When would you go?

Lone Wolf
04-07-2005, 14:26
Fall. Peak leaf season.

Jack Tarlin
04-07-2005, 14:42
I concur with Wolf. Mid-to late September is the best time to hike the Trail in Maine: The first cold night kills the last of the mosquitoes; there are lots fewer folks in the woods after Labor Day; the weather is usually glorious, and best of all, the leaves are changing. I'd push your trip back, if possible, by 3-4 weeks.

A-Train
04-07-2005, 14:54
To counter that I can't say enough good things about late july in maine. I summited Katahdin the last day of July and it was very cool at night, with some beautiful cool days in the wilderness too. Bugs are around but not too problematic, though I would obviously carry a shelter. I rarely saw anyone in the wilderness except for the pack of Nobo's I was with, and the occasional SOBO's coming backward.

Peaks
04-07-2005, 16:19
I'll tend to agree with BJack. But for the bugs in early summer, almost anytime is a great time to hike in Maine.

TJ aka Teej
04-07-2005, 16:30
If you plan to be in the Park over Labor Day, remember that Katahdin Stream Campground is reserved for the Penobscot's annual gathering. If you stay at the Birches, be sure to go check out the goings-on. You'll be welcomed as a fellow pilgrim to the Greatest Mountain.

I like May and September for hiking the 100 mile. September will have easy fords, dry weather, warm days, and cool nights. Be sure to bear bag, it's the start of bear baiting season.

attroll
04-08-2005, 00:24
I would say start around Labor day weekend. Like everyone else said the bugs will not be so bad then. They are usually gone. But it all depends on how warm it stays too.

The Hog
04-08-2005, 06:33
It's a tough decision. Great swimming opportunities in late July/early August. Killer foliage in late Sept. In the middle (late Aug/early Sept) the water is getting a little cool, and there isn't much color. They are all great times to do it, but I would opt for late July/early Aug or late September. :-?

weary
04-08-2005, 08:28
I concur with Wolf. Mid-to late September is the best time to hike the Trail in Maine: The first cold night kills the last of the mosquitoes; there are lots fewer folks in the woods after Labor Day; the weather is usually glorious, and best of all, the leaves are changing. I'd push your trip back, if possible, by 3-4 weeks.
Jack is right. Maine is beautiful in the fall. The peak color occurs around the last week of September through early October most years, though it is impossible to predict too far in advance. Anyway, those are my ideal times for hiking Maine.

But while doing so I can't help thinking that this is also a threatened beauty as developers and land speculators purchase most of the land outside the narrow trail corridor. The sale of another 250,000 acres or so was announced just this week.

Weary www.matlt.org

plodder
04-08-2005, 17:15
Ice on the table land last Sept.26/27. Nothing that you had to stepon. The river was ex-wife cold.

Tramper Al
04-08-2005, 19:57
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Late summer is my favorite time of year in Maine. Except maybe winter of course.

And thanks TJ particularly. I have a group meeting me there, and we were bound for Katahdin Stream CG over Labor day, and waiting around to send reservations in early May.

I think I will move us to Abol CG, and go from there. We can still visit the Penobscots. What's a few more miles at this point, right?

attroll
04-08-2005, 22:24
Tramper Al

wbdent Like I said, once you pick a date you will have to post and let us know. Walkin Wally and I and maybe some others may be doing 1/2 of the 100 mile wilderness in September. We have talked about it but have not finalized it yet. We will most likely be heading north from Monson. But nothing is definite yet. Hopefully we will have a date in the next month. Before I can work with them on dates I have to organize a date for the WhiteBlaze get together that will be in September. Then I have to see if I can get the vacation time for that month.

Askus3
04-10-2005, 02:39
I would think twice about September. The trail and the campsites are all full as the northbounders are at their peak in the 100 Mile Wilderness then. It seemed when going southbound, I was running into anywhere from 1 to groups of 7-10 hikers every half mile along the way. It is crazy. I was dayhiking, so it didn't bother me, but if you backpack, and you want some solitude, I would move it up to early-August. That would put you past the bug & mud season. And with all them lakes you can get a swim anywhere you want to cool off. Days are longer so you could get some extra mileage if necessary. On Sept. 27, I hiked from Blanchard to Moxie Pond Road (19 miles) and I did a count and saw 68 hikers and almost all were thru-hikers. What might be a good idea: see if you could get daily counts from last year from Steve Longley of his traffic counts using his ferry. See where there is a lull (and not just a one day low in the middle due to bad weather). Maybe that might help. Also, if you are sticking with Sept., on the weekend I owuld make a reservation with Shaw's especially now that Pie Lady is gone the thru-hikers in Sept. might over-run his place.

Tramper Al
04-10-2005, 08:10
Thanks Aaron,

I enjoy seeing other hikers when I'm out there. That time of year, I go with the expection that shelters may be full, so I always carry a proper 3 lb tent.

I don't think I will be staying at Shaw's, but instead starting on the trail as soon as I get to Monson. I don't think I'll be stopping at Whitehouse Landing, but am considering a side trip to Little Lyford Ponds, as you know.

I may end up doing a conventional car spot with another 100 Mile sectioneer, though I am looking into the possibility of coming down from Golden Road / Millinocket to Monson by float plane instead.

Now, I've just got to figure out if my 4600 ci pack will hold 7 or 8 days of food, along with my regular gear.

attroll
04-10-2005, 12:55
On Sept. 27, I hiked from Blanchard to Moxie Pond Road (19 miles) and I did a count and saw 68 hikers and almost all were thru-hikers. What might be a good idea: see if you could get daily counts from last year from Steve Longley of his traffic counts using his ferry.
Wow. 68 hikers in that 19 miles stretch during that time frame. That is unbelievable. Steve the Ferryman only had about 300 hikers for that whole month and 68 of them in one day, wow. I believe you but that is a lot of hikers. I have hiked that section south bound before during that month and the most I have ever seen was 10 to 15 going north.

mhussey
04-13-2005, 13:16
I hiked the last 55 miles of the 100 Miles of Wilderness on September 4 and 5th in 2004. The weather was great, caught up to a few NOBO's and close to 20 SOBO's on the first day! I hope to finish up this section from West Pleasant river road to Monson in the near future, hopefully there will be less traffic.

attroll
04-13-2005, 13:45
I hiked the last 55 miles of the 100 Miles of Wilderness on September 4 and 5th in 2004. The weather was great, caught up to a few NOBO's and close to 20 SOBO's on the first day! I hope to finish up this section from West Pleasant river road to Monson in the near future, hopefully there will be less traffic.
If your interested, Walkin Wally and I are going to do this section this year. We are thinking of maybe September. We have not set a date yet. Just let us know.

Papa Bear
04-13-2005, 19:07
Hey Al

I should have posted this earlier. I might be interested in going from Monson to the West Branch of the Pleasant with you if the timing is right. You'll recall one of my days was washed away last year by high water, so I missed the Barren-Chairback range.

When the time get closer, let's talk.

Pb

attroll
04-14-2005, 00:04
Alright Papa Bear. We will keep you in mind. I am excited that we may have three doing this together.