PDA

View Full Version : Ordering new Hammock need help

NickBigly
05-11-2012, 11:38
So I am ordering a new Hennessy deluxe expedition. My question is Classic or Zip? Ive read that some hangers wish they had ordered the Zip. Any thoughts?

Big Papa

OldFeet
05-11-2012, 12:31
I just got my first hammock, a Hennessey Asym Expedition Zip, a few weeks ago and while I can't compare it to the Classic the five nights I've already slept in it have been great. One thing I really like is that when I want to get out I just unzip the side and swing my legs out which is so much easier than getting out of a tent and I imagine easier than dropping out the bottom. I'm really looking forward to next week's section hike with it.

NickBigly
05-11-2012, 12:37
Thanks Oldfeet,
I was watching the video on how they just went under the hammock and sat down. However, they did not have a sleeping bag on padding. I would think that this would get displaced or be combersome to place back where you want it.

Big Papa

Hooch
05-11-2012, 12:42
So I am ordering a new Hennessy deluxe expedition. My question is Classic or Zip? Ive read that some hangers wish they had ordered the Zip. Any thoughts?

Big PapaIf it were my decision to make, I'd order the classic. Try it out and if you like it, great. If not, you can always sent it to 2QZQ for a zipper mod of your choice. They do great work, have a quick turnaround time and, the mod doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Monkeywrench
05-11-2012, 12:48
I've used a 'classic' Hennessy for several years now, including my thru-hike. The main advantage I see with the bottom entry (other than an ounce or two in weight savings) comes during mosquito-infested summer trips. You'll notice that the little bastards tend to congregate between your hammock and your tarp in a blood-thirsty mass. With a top-entry hammock you exit your hammock directly into the cloud of mosquitoes. With a bottom-entry hammock you can out-smart the little bastards and slide out from under them.

It also makes it easy to get half-way out and pee on a rainy night without leaving the shelter of your tarp.

On the flip side, if you screw up and hang your hammock too low, or if for some reason it sags overnight, you'll find yourself contorting a bit to get out in the morning.

I've just purchased a bridge hammock -- in fact it arrived in the mail just 10 minutes ago -- so this will be my first experience with a top-entry hammock. I'm looking forward to comparing them.

beaver831
05-11-2012, 12:48
I also have a Expedition zip and have used it many times over the last year and half. A fellow scout leader got hammocks for he and his son and both got the classic. Their first camp out was in 30 degree weather and the son's feet fell out of the opening and the leader had trouble getting his bag situated after getting in. He has since converted both to a zip using 2QzQ and now loves it.

ken209
05-11-2012, 13:05
Have had both, I vote zipper.

The_watch_guy
05-11-2012, 13:21
Mine has a zipper, easier to get in and out of your sleeping bag.

NickBigly
05-11-2012, 13:21
Thanks for all of your input...as cool as the classic seams(pun), I think I'll go with the Zip. I was conceerned with the "getting situated" thing and "falling out" issue. I think in a perfect world with no sleeping bag or padding the classic might be better.

Thanks again,

Big Papa

JaxHiker
05-11-2012, 22:48
I think it would take some work to fall out. I have the original Explorer Ultralight and would vote zipper.

scope
05-11-2012, 23:00
Um, falling out? Doesn't work that way. At worst, your feet can hang out IF you've nudged the velcro open during the night. There is some issue with "getting situated" with a pad only, since obviously you can't sit down on top of the pad when you're getting in through the bottom.

What I like most about the "classic" bottom entry is that you get in and out at the end of the hammock where the tarp is open (but still covered) as opposed to getting in having to bend over to get under the tarp and sit down onto the hammock. What I like least is that the bug net is closed so that you can't reach out, like to adjust your UQ. Best option IMO is to get the classic and do the zipper mod like Hooch suggested.

Jagglax
05-23-2012, 17:14
I have a Hennessey Hammock Explorer Ultra Light Zip and the exact same hammock in the classic Velcro. The zip beats the classic hands down. Its easier to get in to, less clostro for those who need that, and better for accessibility. The classic is for what ever reason a little bit more comfy, but the zip beats it in every way. The zip adds about two ounces for those who care, but helps tremendously on the trail. There is no risk of falling out of the velcro, but getting in with all your sleeping gear is a pain. Many Hammockers, like myself, use an underquilt for insulation. In the zip you are able to make adjustments and make sure that it is underneath you easily. It is almost impossible to use an underquilt (that isnt custom made) with the classic velcro.
On a side note, i would also recommend the Sil-Nylon Hex Tarp for your hammock. It adds 7 ounces from the basic tarp but it tripples the protected area. The stock tarp will keep the hammock dry and not much else. I have never gotten wet under the hex tarp and it is big enough to be a reliable winter tarp for your hammock. It is plenty big for your hammock and tons of gear. When i go Ultralight, i have used the Hex tarp without a hammock and it has plenty space for two people.

msupple
05-24-2012, 20:37
Good choice! There's a reason that Hennesy finally started making a side zip. (Demand)

Rickard
05-25-2012, 13:57
Good choice. If I had it to do over again I would get the zip. The classic doesn't bother me as it does others, but I would like the option to reach outside of my hammock without getting out of it. Not enough to send it out for a zipper mod though, so I deal.

mattsvensson
05-26-2012, 00:57
I've been looking at the Hennessy's for a while and am close to a purchase. Other than the great advice already shared, I am curious about the straps. Have the 42" ones been long enough for everyone or did you go for the 72"/96"'ers

Rickard
06-07-2012, 11:31
I've been looking at the Hennessy's for a while and am close to a purchase. Other than the great advice already shared, I am curious about the straps. Have the 42" ones been long enough for everyone or did you go for the 72"/96"'ers

They are long enough, but barely. You really have limited site selection, but it's always been workable for me. With that said, I really can't wait to get some longer straps. I plan to get 72" from arrowhead equipment sometime soon.

chancey
06-07-2012, 20:28
im a hanger for 10 years now.i would never go back to a henny.
the most wonderful hammock right now is a danger bird by papa smerf,by far the coolest perks.and i second a warbonnet blackbird.i have both.
the dangerbird has incredible features you have to try out to believe.
i spent months on the at in a henny but i didnt know any better