PDA

View Full Version : Use for dead sleeping bag

Baker
04-07-2005, 15:13
I got out my TNF cat's meow... heavy, smelly, and after a mere one year of use, good only to about 45 degrees. Sad to see it all 3.5 pounds of nonfluff go to waste....

Snip snip off the zipper, sides, hood part.

Sew around the outside... Now I have a 1.6lb summer quilt, cheaper than a fleece bag.

MOWGLI
04-07-2005, 15:26
I got out my TNF cat's meow... heavy, smelly, and after a mere one year of use, good only to about 45 degrees. Sad to see it all 3.5 pounds of nonfluff go to waste....

Sew around the outside... Now I have a 1.6lb summer quilt, cheaper than a fleece bag.

Too bad you chopped it up. For a small fee, TNF will clean and refill your bag with brand new feathers. Then again, maybe you're happy with what you have now.

chris
04-07-2005, 15:29
You could start homebrewing, and use the old sleeping bag as a cozy for the carboy to keep your ale at a good temperature as it ferments. My Marmot Arroyo is now for car camping and beer making and it does a damn fine job. On the trail, not so good, though.

bulldog49
04-07-2005, 15:30
TNF Cat's Meow is a synthetic bag.

MOWGLI
04-07-2005, 15:34

AHA! I stand corrected!

Pencil Pusher
04-07-2005, 23:14
A razor blade, goose down and lots of patience could change that, especially for a seemingly 'dead' bag.

SGT Rock
04-08-2005, 00:41
If you wanted it to work well you would have to add baffles. THAT would be the hard part.

Van Lloyden
04-08-2005, 11:53
You could start homebrewing, and use the old sleeping bag as a cozy for the carboy to keep your ale at a good temperature as it ferments. My Marmot Arroyo is now for car camping and beer making and it does a damn fine job. On the trail, not so good, though.
Have you got a good simple IPA recipie? My buddy and I are going to brew and bottle one for our June trip, then come back and drink it in celebration in July.

Mags
04-08-2005, 12:36
My first "real" backpacking sleeping bag is a 20F Holofill Campmor special. Heavy as sh**, bulky..but still works. Use it as a comforter on my bed. Also does double duty as a backup sleeping bag for beginners on their first trip. (As with many of us, due to gear purchases over the years, I have enough gear to completely outfit a person. Tent, pack, bag, pad,etc.)

As far as homebrewing, there are places that have all the facilities in place to brew your own beer. You don't have to do it at home. They have the yeast, the hops, recipes to use, etc. You make a batch, pick it up later. Friends of mine do this and say it is enjoyable. Still ends up being less than buying it in the stores. Another option to think about if you want to delve into the world of "brew your own". Nice if you don't have the space to brew at home.

chris
04-08-2005, 14:09
Have you got a good simple IPA recipie? My buddy and I are going to brew and bottle one for our June trip, then come back and drink it in celebration in July.

Rather off topic, but I like homebrew too much.

Furious George IPA

8 lbs Extralight DME
1/2 lb carapils
1/2 lb Crystal 40
1/2 lb Victory (or Biscuit)
1 oz. Centennial hops (60 minute boil)
1 oz. Cascade hops (15 minute boil)
1 oz. Cascade hops (3 minute boil)
1 oz. Cascade hops (dry hop)
1/4 tsp Irish Moss
White labs Burton Ale yeast

Put grains in a grain bag and bring up to a boil in about 2 gallons of water. Turn off heat and let sit for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Take out grain, bring water up to a boil. Add DME. Bring back to a boil. Add Centennial hops (you could use 2 oz for big hops). Boil for 60 minutes taking care not to let it boil over. Add hops on the schedule. Put 2 gallons of cold water in a sterilized 5 gallon carboy and add the wort. Aerate well. Top off with water. Pitch the yeast the next day when the wort is down around 80 degrees. Add the last hops after about 2 weeks. Fermentation can take a while, and might last for a month or more.

Mags
04-08-2005, 16:22
Rather off topic, but I like homebrew too much.

I think beer and hiking go too well together.

Anyway, another cool reason why I like Boulder:

http://www.beertown.org/

The HQ of the Home Brewers Assoc is more or less in downtown Boulder. About a 7 minute walk from where I work.

Think I'll go have a homebrew my buddy made that is currently in the fridge of where I am house sitting. .... A stout..yum.

hikerjohnd
04-08-2005, 18:04

Just curious - did you try to wash it to see if it could be revived as a sleeping bag? I realize it's too late now... but i was wondering.

BeaverTrapper
04-12-2005, 21:40
They're heavy, but you'd still have a sleeping bag.