PDA

View Full Version : Shenandoah national park?

Kdperkins
05-11-2012, 18:01
I wanted to go from Harpers Ferry to at least Skylabd resort in the middle of the park on the AT trail. Anyone know the distance between those points so I know how much time to take off from work for it?

Veetack
05-11-2012, 18:09
80.4 miles according to the thru hikers companion.

johnnybgood
05-11-2012, 19:26
Depending on your hikng style and conditioning this is a 4-6 day hike .

Furlough
05-11-2012, 19:33
From the ATC side trail in Harpers Ferry to the Skyland Service road looks to be 90.4 miles according to the Appalachian Trail Distance CalculatorBased on 2012 Data Book. http://www.atdist.com/atdist

Kdperkins
05-15-2012, 23:34
What is the average distance covered for this part of the trail.. I wanted to be hiking for at least 7 days but everything I'm reading is telling me that I'll be done this portion far before that time frame. I'm relatively fit, and don't have any issues with doing 10 miles a day when I do other overnight or two night trips out with decent elevation changes.. Is this trail relatively easy and flat to the point I can expect to cover more distance then that?

Glory
05-16-2012, 08:13
Kdperkins,

make sure you check the topo map and consider the elevation differences. From Harpers Ferry to Front Royal, they call that the 'roller coaster', which is a series of about 10 peaks one after the other. I recently tried hiking from Harpers ferry. The first day we did 12 miles. The second day we only did about 6. In the future, we're going to check the maps a little more!