PDA

View Full Version : Insulating layer for SOBO thru?

plurpimpin
05-11-2012, 23:33
I've got most of my clothes sorted out for my sobo thru but I just can't figure out what to bring for an insulating layer. Should I bring a down vest or a light fleece layer? It'll be used in conjunction with silkweight capilene long underwear and a golite rain jacket. Would the down vest be too warm? Fleece to heavyweight? I'll be starting in Maine June 1st. Anybody have any suggestions (specific products would be great too). Lightweight is always better in my book

lemon b
05-12-2012, 09:58
Consider Wool. IMHO no the vest is not over kill.

bigcranky
05-12-2012, 10:19
I'd bring a microfleece layer and/or possibly the down vest as well. It can be chilly at night in Maine in the summer.

plurpimpin
05-12-2012, 20:03
Well my mother seems to have made the decision for me. She just gave me a patagonia down vest as a college graduation gift so it looks like that's coming with me on my thru.

bigcranky
05-13-2012, 09:07
Sweet . Great gift, and useful! Congratulations on your accomplishment, and good luck on your hike.

Miner
05-13-2012, 15:15
I understand it can be cold or at least cool in Maine and the Whites of New Hampshire. After that can I assume warmer temperatures for awhile? At what point or time of the year as I continue south should I be thinking of warmer gear again? I'm expecting to finish up in the first or second week of November. On my PCT thru-hike, I pretty much just carried the same stuff for the entire hike so I never had to plan for adding/removing insulating layers before.