PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a 3-5 day hike

hwilliams
05-12-2012, 00:54
My son is graduating high school this year. I want to take him on a 3 to 5 day hike on the AT where we can have some quality time together before he goes off to college (he leaves in August). We live in Florida and looking for recommendation for 3 to 5 day hike. We are both in good physical shape but haven't done overnights on the AT before. I had my share of camping in the military and my son went to a military high-school so had many camping adventures with them. Anyone have any suggestions? I called the NPS and they recommended the start of the trail in Georgia. We will be going in late July or early August. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Miami Joe
05-12-2012, 03:12
You can link together some really fun 3-to-5-day loops in GSMNP. That would allow you an opportunity to experience the AT while also enjoying less-crowded areas of the backcountry. http://www.mapcruzin.com/download-national-park-maps/great_smoky_mts_map.jpg

Cookerhiker
05-12-2012, 06:24
Late July/early August - the best place on the AT is Maine or the White Mountains in NH but I suspect you don't want to go that far.

I'd stick to high-elevation stretches. The Smokies would be nice. Another is the AT between Erwin, TN and Rt. 19E; in that stretch, you'll hike over Roan Mountain, Unaka, Beauty Spot, Hump Mountain.

Whack-a-mole
05-13-2012, 13:19
There are some beautiful sections from Neels gap all the way up to NOC, or even the smokies. These are a little closer to Fla, and may be easier to get to if you are driving. Springer Mtn has all the nostalgia of being the start of the AT, but it is a little tougher to get to. Would be ok if you hired a shuttle and parked your car at the exit point. My wife and I will be doing the Unicoi Gap to Dicks Creek section over Memorial Day Weekend. That area is beautiful, but I usually hike when the leaves are down, so hopefully we can still get some good views.