PDA

View Full Version : Vomiting and Diarrhea

TNhealth
05-12-2012, 09:51
The health department in TN has received an increase in reports of AT hikers with gastroenteritis (nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea), sometimes called stomach flu, between Erwin and Hampton, TN. It is likely caused by Norovirus, which is known to cause outbreaks on cruise ships and summer camps. Noroviruses are found in the stool or vomit of infected people and on infected surfaces that have been touched by ill people. Outbreaks occur more often where there are more people in a small area, such cruise ships (and AT hostels/shelters).
How noroviruses are spread
People can become infected with the virus by:

Eating food or drinking liquids infected with noroviruses
Touching surfaces or objects infected with noroviruses and then touching own mouth, nose, or eyes
Having person-to-person contact (with a norovirus-infected person) by

being present while someone is vomiting
sharing food or eating from the same utensils
caring for a sick person
shaking hands

Not washing hands after using the bathroom and before eating or preparing food.

Norovirus infections are not usually serious
Noroviruses are highly contagious, but infections are not usually serious. People may feel very sick and vomit often or get diarrhea, becoming dehydrated if lost liquids are not replaced. Most people recover within 1 or 2 days and have no long-term adverse health effects.
What to do if you get norovirus
Drink plenty of fluids. Wash hands often.
How to prevent getting and spreading noroviruses

Wash hands often. Wash hands after using the bathroom and before eating or preparing food. Wash hands more often when someone in your hostel/shelter is sick.
Avoid shaking hands during outbreaks (fist bump may be safer).
Use alcohol-based hand sanitizer along with handwashing or if facilities for handwashing are unavailable.

lemon b
05-12-2012, 09:55
Kinda brings LNT to a new level.

Tipi Walter
05-12-2012, 10:14
Another reason to avoid at all costs the greasy trail shelters.

bigcranky
05-12-2012, 10:17
The shelters aren't the only reason for this, though they do add more chances for it to spread.

BTW my wife and I had this a couple of months ago after babysitting for a friend. It is NOT fun - as well as the projectile vomiting and explosive diarrhea, we were so weak we could barely get out of bed. (Not a good combo with the other two symptoms...)

Cherokee Bill
05-12-2012, 10:21
Another reason to avoid at all costs the greasy trail shelters.

Amen! Avoid shelters and do not eat food from other hikers! Avoid shaking hands at alll cost!

Odd Man Out
05-12-2012, 10:27
I wonder if contaminated water supplies are a source of infection. Relevant that AM and UV treats viruses and filters do not. I personally am partial to filters, but might consider using some AM backup if hiking through an Norovius outbreak.

Tipi Walter
05-12-2012, 10:54
The shelters aren't the only reason for this, though they do add more chances for it to spread.

BTW my wife and I had this a couple of months ago after babysitting for a friend. It is NOT fun - as well as the projectile vomiting and explosive diarrhea, we were so weak we could barely get out of bed. (Not a good combo with the other two symptoms...)

The last time I projectile vomited was near Elk Garden ridge in Mt Rogers in 1984 because I was in my hippie phase and thought all water was God's gift to man. Wrong. He first gave it to cattle and then Man.

Snowleopard
05-12-2012, 11:15
I want to be at home with a flush toilet and shower if I ever get this.

I wonder if contaminated water supplies are a source of infection. Relevant that AM and UV treats viruses and filters do not. ...

recreational and drinking water can serve as vehicles of norovirus transmission and result in large community outbreaks (48 (http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss5308a1.htm),49 (http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss5709a1.htm)). These outbreaks often involve well water that becomes contaminated from septic tank leakage or sewage (50) or from breakdowns in chlorination of municipal systems (51).
CDC, http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr6003a1.htm?s_cid=rr6003a1_e
The CDC has a lot of info on norovirus. I suspect that touching contaminated surfaces then touching food or your mouth or eating contaminated food is a more likely cause.

It's a good idea to carry some oral rehydration solution in case of severe dehydration (gatorade diluted 2:1 works).
Also, carry latex gloves, lots of TP, lots of soap.

Eating only cooked HOT (not just warm, but boiling hot) food helps when traveling in places where food safety is a problem; that is, all food is heated hot enough to kill bacteria. I'm not sure how well this works with norovirus.

Velvet Gooch
05-12-2012, 11:45
Just put on your Tyvek kilt and let fly while walking. Clean up during rest stops with Derma Health Antiseptic Gooch Cleanser.

TNhealth
05-12-2012, 15:06
We do not suspect it is being spread by water, although that is possible. It is more likely caused by touching surfaces contaminated by ill persons and then not adequately washing hands before eating. It only requires a very small amount of the virus to make folks sick. Be safe.

Mags
05-12-2012, 15:34
"and then not adequately washing hands before eating. "

Purrel. Good stuff! :)

Listen to Mom. Wash those hands after doing #2 and before eating.

Praha4
05-12-2012, 16:37
funny the same thing happened about this time back in 2010 in that section.... a well known hiker hostel in Erwin was suspected as being a hot spot for the creeping crud. I met several hikers north of Erwin who were sick for a couple days after visiting said hostel. Of course it could have been the water, other shelters, who knows.

Bronk
05-13-2012, 03:56
The fact that cleanliness goes by the wayside on the trail is likely the biggest contributing factor. I don't think I've ever seen anyone go to the trouble of hauling water away from a water source in order to wash their hands.

Hand sanitizer might be a good addition to people's packs...

Spokes
05-13-2012, 08:38
funny the same thing happened about this time back in 2010 in that section.... a well known hiker hostel in Erwin was suspected as being a hot spot for the creeping crud. I met several hikers north of Erwin who were sick for a couple days after visiting said hostel. Of course it could have been the water, other shelters, who knows.

I noticed the same thing in 2009. Interesting....

Brady
05-14-2012, 09:27
I was at a conveniently located hostel in Erwin last week and there were a number of people sick. The restroom facilities were less than sanitary. I avoided getting sick by not touching anything in the restroom, washing my hands and hand Sanitizer constantly. I don't think I was ever so happy to take a dump in the woods.

Gray Blazer
05-14-2012, 09:59
There is one thing not mentioned that a lot of people (not all) would jump up and run and share and put in their mouths after others have put it into theirs. I can't mention the name because of terms of service. It's funny cuz these people wouldn't share bottles or silverware, but, they seem to not think it's possible to spread germs when doing the above unmentioned habit.

WingedMonkey
05-14-2012, 10:02
There is one thing not mentioned that a lot of people (not all) would jump up and run and share and put in their mouths after others have put it into theirs. I can't mention the name because of terms of service. It's funny cuz these people wouldn't share bottles or silverware, but, they seem to not think it's possible to spread germs when doing the above unmentioned habit.

Never shared that or my gorp.

ChinMusic
05-14-2012, 15:50
I was just at Mountaineer Shelter (tenting). I was told the story about all the illnesses around Erwin and how careful they must be. A few minutes later there was a "ritual passing" of which I politely declined. I couldn't help but view the act as quite ironic.

chiefduffy
05-14-2012, 23:59
I noticed the same thing in 2009. Interesting....

Me too. It was so bad that year the guy I was hiking with had to leave the trail.

rocketsocks
05-15-2012, 00:21
Never shared that or my gorp.Yep,I gotta have my own....gorp!