PDA

View Full Version : ULA Circuit owners - bottle for shock cord straps

dornstar
05-12-2012, 18:49
I've been search for a bottle that works perfectly with the yellow cords on the ULA Circuit.

Any recommendations? Thanks.

About_Time
05-12-2012, 19:25
I found that the 1 liter water containers for Aquafina worked the best, but I also used Walmart, Poland Springs and others. Some of them are going to "thin lids" which didn't work as well. There are several pictures of them in use in my journal. There is also one picture with one of the bottles upside down as it had developed a leak. If they're full and you need to jump down off a rock they're likely to slip out.

atmilkman
05-12-2012, 19:31
15923Try the Smart Water bottles

STICK
05-12-2012, 20:35
I found the Gatorade bottle to work much better than the Smartwater bottles. The SW bottles are smooth where as the Gatorade bottle have ridges on them that provide more traction so that the cords will hold better. But, even with the Gatorade bottle, on occasion (say when I am jumping over a small stream) the Gatorade bottles will still jar loose and I will have to chase it down.

However, I found it even better to remove the top shock cord water bottle holder and replace it with a piece of looped cord with a mitten hook on one end (to attach it to the daisy chain) and a cord lock. Loop the cord around and under the lip of the top of (any) water bottle and then use the cord lock to lock the loop down. This way the top cord actually holds the bottle up whereas the bottom shock cord (ULA h20 bottle holder) simply stabilizes the bottle so it doesn't jiggle all over the place.

I love this system so much, I have mimicked the exact same thing on all of my packs! It is very easy to make and can be made with just a few supplies that most people already have anyway. Heck, you don't even need the cord lock...just loop the cord and tie it off, then wrap the cord around and under the lip on the bottle and thread the cord back through itself. Then a carabiner will work in place of a mitten hook...

Here is a video I did that may show it better than I explained it...(Check it out around 5:20)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDTfBwG9Sco

Hooch
05-12-2012, 21:25
24 oz wide mouth water bottles work well

Red Hat
05-12-2012, 21:30
I use Gatorade bottles, either the 20 oz or the 32 oz work well.

dornstar
05-21-2012, 01:29
24 oz wide mouth water bottles work well
Thanks so much.

I bought one of these (Camelbak Podium) and it works perfectly.... and is just an amazing all around water bottle. Weighs less than 2 ounces as well.

hunter121
05-21-2012, 04:56
WOW!!! Nice Post!Kind Regards
http://www.yourfinancehelper.com/article/today/act.jpg
http://www.yourfinancehelper.com/article/today/lk.jpg

MuddyWaters
05-23-2012, 22:59
take the top holster and do it "backwards". ie, instead of tightening it around the body of the bottle, tighten it around the neck. Move the toggle to the middle, and put the neck on the away side, and tighten it up . Then put the body of the bottle in the lower holster. It cannot not slip.