PDA

View Full Version : Finalized Gear List: Did I miss anything?

EricS96521
05-12-2012, 20:13
I've been reading quite a bit and getting my gear list organized and I think I have it finished. I just need someone else to take a quick look over and see if there is anything I should add, items I should leave behind, items I should change out, etc. Thanks :)

Big 4:
Teton Sports Explorer 4000 (4000cu in, 5lbs)
Sleeping bag (40 degree, 3lbs)
Sleeping pad (?)
Tent (3lbs)

Clothing Worn:
Synthetic fiber shirt(x1)
Synthetic fiber shorts(x1)
Synthetic fiber/wool socks(x1)
Sneakers

Clothing In Pack:
Synthetic fiber shirt (x1)
Synthetic fiber pants (x1)
Synthetic fiber/wool socks(x2)
Underwear(x1)
Light jacket
Beanie

Supplies:
Map
Phone
Tarp
Bandana(x2)
Poncho
Large trash bags(x2)
Duct tape (10ft)
Stuff sack (For Clothing)
Sunscreen (Repackaged)
First aid kit (Bandaids, neosporin, tape, guaze, tweezers, safety pins, needles)
Flashlight w/fresh batteries
Bic lighter(x2)
Cotton balls w/vaseline (Fire starter)
Hand sanitizer
Toilet paper 20ft
Toothbrush
Bug spray
Excedrin/Ibuprofen/Advil
Pocket Knife
Needle (draining blisters)
Shoe strings(x2)

Food & Water:
4 bottles of water
Granola bars (repackaged)
Trail mix (repackaged)
Snack crackers
Candy bars
Water purification drops
Water flavoring (Mask iodine taste)

EricS96521
05-12-2012, 20:14
I forgot to add this is only for a 2-3 day hike from Carvers Gap to 19E.

4Bears
05-13-2012, 13:03
2-3 days: If my clothes are in good shape to start, I would only take an extra shirt for a camp shirt, the light jacket and beanie, if the pants are zip offs then I would wear them and leave the shorts at home. You only need one bandana, not sure why the tarp and a tent, one lighter, maybe 1 shoestring, but you can always use a piece of the 50ft of bear line you should have. I don't see a pack cover or liner, no cook pot so you must be cold camping, 2 water bottles should be enough and I don't think I would take spare batteries for a 3 day hike. IMHO

Bucho
05-13-2012, 21:28
not sure why the tarp and a tent

I'm assuming it's his ground cloth.

SunnyWalker
05-13-2012, 21:44
Tent n tarp?
Jacket n poncho? (is jacket waterproof?)
Water? Can u pick it up on the way?
Only extra clothing i'd take: socks
2bandanas?
No coffee??????
Sounds like fun!!!!!!!!

Wise Old Owl
05-13-2012, 22:34
5 lbs tent? ouch,,, hope its for two.

Hooch
05-13-2012, 22:47
Big 4:
Sleeping pad (?) Blue WalMart CCF pad. Cheap and does the trick.
Tent (3lbs)

Clothing Worn:
Synthetic fiber shirt(x1)
Synthetic fiber/wool socks(x1)
Sneakers You may want to at least invest in a pair of trail runners in lieu of "sneakers".

Clothing In Pack:
Synthetic fiber shirt (x1) Lose it.
Synthetic fiber pants (x1) Lose it.
Synthetic fiber/wool socks(x2)
Synthetic fiber shorts(x1) Lose it.
Underwear(x1)
Light jacket
Beanie

Supplies:
Map
Phone
Tarp Lose it. Don't need a tarp and tent.
Bandana(x2)
Poncho Virtually useless in the highlands. Get a decent rain jacket instead. I suggest Dri Ducks or Frogg Toggs.
Large trash bags(x2)
Duct tape (10ft)
Stuff sack (For Clothing)
Sunscreen (Repackaged)
First aid kit (Bandaids, neosporin, tape, guaze, tweezers, safety pins, needles) Lose the needles, you've got safety pins. Deplace the duct tape with a roll of Tenacious Tape.
Flashlight w/fresh batteries Replace with headlamp. One set of batteries will be fine.
Bic lighter(x2) You only need one.
Cotton balls w/vaseline (Fire starter)
Hand sanitizer
Toilet paper 20ft
Toothbrush
Bug spray
Excedrin/Ibuprofen/Advil
Pocket Knife
Needle (draining blisters) Lose it, you've got safety pins for that.
Shoe strings(x2) Lose it.

Food & Water:
4 bottles of water Lose it. You can get water along the way.
Granola bars (repackaged) You'll need more than granola, trail mix, snack crackers and candy bars for 2-3 days. It'll work, but you need more nutrition than that.
Trail mix (repackaged)
Snack crackers
Candy bars
Water purification drops Lose it. Get Aquamira drops instead. Available online.
Water flavoring (Mask iodine taste) Lose it.

Line for bear bagging?

Bucho
05-13-2012, 22:55
I just need someone else to take a quick look over and see if there is anything I should add, items I should leave behind, items I should change out, etc. Thanks :)

Scrolling through the list, first thing I noticed was that it seems like you're going to be packed kind of heavy. While people around here generally recommend really light shoes they usually do it with the idea that you won't be carrying too much weight.

Second, you may find that you don't actually enjoy eating nothing but snack food for 3 days.

EricS96521
05-15-2012, 22:52
Thanks for the suggestions guys. No bear line because ive read there are no bears around carvers gap and was just gonna sleep with my food in the tent.

The tent is actually about 7lbs (7x7) for myself and younger brother. Amazon listed the
shipping weight as 3lbs..ugh..lol

Full weight comes to 25lbs. I wore the pack around the house and it felt great, much better than my old backpack.

Moose2001
05-15-2012, 23:30
[QUOTE=EricS96521;1289005] No bear line because ive read there are no bears around carvers gap and was just gonna sleep with my food in the tent.QUOTE]

So....the mice, rats, racoons and possums are ok to chew into your tent and eat your food?

RodentWhisperer
05-15-2012, 23:35
Pardon my bluntness, but have you weighed all your gear-- piece by piece, on a scale? If you have, and your TPW is *still* only 25 lb, I'm worried that your planning something of a fast(ing) hike.

Assuming you feel you need all your clothes, etc., your reported figures make the combined weight of your pack, bag, and tent = 15 lb. "Four bottles of water"-- assuming they are 16 fl oz apiece-- would weigh another 4.2 lb, less the weight of the bottles. If your clothes, first aid, and water treatment supplies weigh (optimistically) < 2 lb, and at your brother will be carrying all his own food, you're still talking about < 5 lb of food for three days.

EricS96521
05-16-2012, 01:08
Pack = 5lbs
Tent = 6lbs
Sleeping bag = 3lbs
Clothes = 1lbs
Water = 4.2lbs
Food = 5lbs
Various other supplies = 1lbs

Total weight = 25lbs. I don't see what's so wrong about that weight...?

EricS96521
05-16-2012, 01:09
And a friend is carrying water treatment, and first aid.

EricS96521
05-16-2012, 02:07
Pack = 5lbs
Tent = 6lbs
Sleeping bag = 3lbs
Clothes = 1lbs
Water = 4.2lbs
Food = 5lbs

Oh and no, I didn't weight everything piece by piece, more of a guess on some. I know the exact weight of the tent and pack, guessed at everything else but food and water.

With everything packed, my pack weighs 24.5lbs.

Sassafras Lass
05-16-2012, 09:19
Pack = 5lbs
Tent = 6lbs
Sleeping bag = 3lbs
Clothes = 1lbs
Water = 4.2lbs
Food = 5lbs

It's not so much the weight as the overpacking.

A hike of 2-3 days, I'd take half of what you're bringing. I'm going SOBO in about 2 weeks' time and my pack before food/water is around 18 lbs. - for a 5-6 month excursion. You're not going to use 10 feet of duct tape in that time, you don't need a change of clothing, don't need 2 extra pair of socks (1 will do), you can filter water along the way, etc. etc.

But this isn't the Ultralight forum - so if this works for you, go for it. If you don't know what works for you - then I'd heed our suggestions.

RodentWhisperer
05-16-2012, 09:24
Just to confirm your guess, do the old-school weight test: pack up everything (even full water bottles). Weigh yourself on your bathroom scale, wearing all your hiking clothes/shoes, but without the full pack. Then put on the pack and weigh yourself again. Not as precise, but just as effective.

One more point: it all depends upon one's metabolism, pack weight, route, season, and planned mileage/pace, but generally speaking a hiker needs 1.5 - 2.0 lb of food/day.

jakedatc
05-16-2012, 09:26
well, if anything you seem stubborn enough.

what is your friend bringing for water treatment? if Aquamira then just bring 2 32oz gatorade or powerade bottles (free tasty drink for first 2 bottles of water), if they are bringing a pump then bring a 2L Nalgene Cantene soft sided bottle that screws onto the pump and 1 32oz gatorade bottle

i still don't believe your weights. my last trip with fairly light stuff and 7lb of food and 1L water my pack weighs 24lb.

when is this trip? we will need to hear the post-trip report afterward. with pictures!

Busker
05-17-2012, 09:53
For short hike I would say 1.5 lb food/day is more then enough.
Plus I would take some sun glasses and a pea less whistle (useful if you get in trouble).

EricS96521
05-17-2012, 19:35
It's not so much the weight as the overpacking.

A hike of 2-3 days, I'd take half of what you're bringing. I'm going SOBO in about 2 weeks' time and my pack before food/water is around 18 lbs. - for a 5-6 month excursion. You're not going to use 10 feet of duct tape in that time, you don't need a change of clothing, don't need 2 extra pair of socks (1 will do), you can filter water along the way, etc. etc.

But this isn't the Ultralight forum - so if this works for you, go for it. If you don't know what works for you - then I'd heed our suggestions.

I followed a lot of people's advice and have cut back a lot on what I am bringing, but I would still like to be comfortable, even if that means a little extra weight. Thank you very much for the advice

Just to confirm your guess, do the old-school weight test: pack up everything (even full water bottles). Weigh yourself on your bathroom scale, wearing all your hiking clothes/shoes, but without the full pack. Then put on the pack and weigh yourself again. Not as precise, but just as effective.

One more point: it all depends upon one's metabolism, pack weight, route, season, and planned mileage/pace, but generally speaking a hiker needs 1.5 - 2.0 lb of food/day.

This is how I got my pack weight. Loaded it all up and weighed myself with and without it.

well, if anything you seem stubborn enough.

what is your friend bringing for water treatment? if Aquamira then just bring 2 32oz gatorade or powerade bottles (free tasty drink for first 2 bottles of water), if they are bringing a pump then bring a 2L Nalgene Cantene soft sided bottle that screws onto the pump and 1 32oz gatorade bottle

i still don't believe your weights. my last trip with fairly light stuff and 7lb of food and 1L water my pack weighs 24lb.

when is this trip? we will need to hear the post-trip report afterward. with pictures!

I know my friend has water tablets from walmart, how well they work, how it tastes, etc, I have no clue. I haven't had time to test them yet.

And I will definitely be taking a lot of photos and will post a report when I get back if you are still interested.

Thanks a lot!

EricS96521
05-17-2012, 19:47
And this is the updated gear list

Main gear:
Tent (3lbs)

Clothing In Pack:
Shirt
Shorts
Socks (x2)
Underwear(x1)
Light jacket
Beanie

Supplies:
Map
Phone
Bandanna
Poncho
Trash Bag(x2)
Duct Tape
Sunscreen
Lighter
Hand sanitizer
Toilet paper
Wet wipes
Bug spray
Toothbrush/toothpaste
Shoe string
Flash light
Aspirin/Ibuprofen

Water:
4 16.9oz bottles of water
Water purification tablets
Water flavoring

As far as food goes, I'm still a little unsure but I have been reading for ideas.

So far I'm thinking:
Trail mix
Granola bars
Instant oatmeal
Snack crackers
cookies
peanut m&m's
Hot chocolate

It seems like a little too much 'junk' food, definitely need opinions on the food.

jakedatc
05-18-2012, 14:39
How about something substantial for dinner? Knorr Rice sides are cheap as hell and super easy to make. repack them in a freezer bag, add 1.5ish cups of boiling water, let sit for 5-10mins $1 for a hot meal with good amount of calories. you're not a small dude i'm sure you will want to eat more than snacks.

Instant mashed potatos are also damn cheap and super tasty if you get something like garlic flavor or something. again repack in freezer bag, follow the directions for water. $1-1.50 1 packet is pretty big and weighs very little.

i usually do

breakfast:
oatmeal/cream of wheat, cup of hot chocolate

snacks/lunch:
trail mix, pop tarts, granola bars, pb crackers, pringles (140cal per ounce)

dinner:
knorr side or potatos, candy bar

StubbleJumper
05-18-2012, 18:27
Breakfast:

Meusli or granola with powdered milk. Just get a Glad twist-and-lock storage container to shake up your milk, and then add the cereal.

Second Breakfast (I like to have second breakfast about 2-3 hours after first breakfast):

Bagel with cheese, or slathered with peanut butter

Lunch:

I usually just have salty and sweet snacks for lunch. Sometimes I'll mix up some hummus and eat it with tortilla.

Supper:

I would second the idea of potatoes. But, IMO, Idahoan brand potatoes are far superior to the other brands. I like to buy pre-cooked bacon to have with the potatoes, or sometimes the foil pouches of tuna or salmon.

I also like Easy-Mac. Just take two pouches and it makes a solid main course that is easy to cook. It goes well with foil packages of tuna or salmon.

Stove-Top Stuffing accompanied by a foil package of chicken is also a nice, easy meal to cook. If you want to get fancy, throw in some Craisins.

Lipton sides are definitely a good choice.

Ramen noodles are nice if the temperature drops below 50 degrees. If it's hot outside, I hate ramen....

scree
05-20-2012, 14:21
No stove and no fuel, so I assume you're either eating everything cold or planning to build a fire? If so, I still don't see any cookware on your list. A cheap stainless GI cup would do the trick if you're planning on cooking over fire, but keep in mind that gathering fire materials takes a lot of time and you also don't have any tinder materials on your list. Triple the problem if it's raining or has recently rained. I guess you can eat cold oatmeal but it sucks - might as well make an alcohol stove or just buy a Trangia and keep it with a small fuel bottle of denatured alcohol or Heet in the GI cup. Personally I can't feel the difference between a 25 pound pack and a 28 pound pack when it's on my back, so I wouldn't skimp on food or fire.

All that said, you'll *survive* with what you've got over three days no problem, but you might not enjoy it much without a better food setup. Don't forget some kind of cooking pot, whether it's a GI cup or something expensive. I'm a fan of the Guyot Designs 32oz water bottle since, as a true stainless steel bottle, you can use it directly on a fire or stove to boil water or cook.