PDA

View Full Version : Flip-flop to Maine!

Tyler Nelson
05-12-2012, 21:28
Hey Folks!

We began our Northbound thru-hike on March 1, and got off the trail 530 miles later on April 20 for our scheduled summer work hiatus. We hated getting off, but can't wait to get back on at the end of July. We are beginning to plan our 2nd leg, the flip flop to Maine. From there we plan to hike south, hopefully finishing around Thanksgiving at Partnership Shelter in VA!

There are some elements of this planning that we could use some help and friendly advice on. I've compiled a small list of them....

1. We plan on flying to Maine. Which airport should we arrive to? After that, what reliable shuttle services offer rides to Baxter/Katahdin?

2. We expect the weather to be primo in Maine at the end of July, but are there any surprises mother nature might throw our way up in the Northeast?

3. When do other SOBOS/ flip floppers plan on departing from Katahdin?

That's all for now, any advice would be much appreciated, plus whatever input you folks would like to throw our way. We miss all you folks on the trail and look forward everyday to rejoining everyone!

Best regards,

Mandela, Terra Nauta, and Dago Thunder

peakbagger
05-13-2012, 07:21
Go to the upper right hand corner of the whiteblaze page, enter "baxter" or "millinocket" in the search box, read the hundreds if not thousands of threads answering your questions and then if there is something you are missing, ask a specific question.

Weather surprises in Maine at the end of July are pretty minimal. The back flies should be gone but the mosquitoes will be around in the later afternoon early evening. Afternoon thundershowers and the swimming holes may be warm enough to go swimming.

weary
05-13-2012, 10:31
Boston or Manchester, NH. generally have the cheapest and most convenient flights. Portland and Bangor are closer, but tend to be expensive. Public bus lines go within 20 miles or so of Katahdin. Shuttles (and usually easy hitches) take you to the mountain from the end of the bus line at Medway. There's a popular hiker hostel and shuttle service in Millinocket, about 10 miles from Medway.

Cookerhiker
05-13-2012, 11:42
This link will help you re transportation: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/find-a-hike/parking-shuttles-transportation

I second Peakbagger's comment about mosquitos - be prepared to live with them for at least 2 weeks. By mid-August, their numbers should be diminished.

Even though you were trail-hardy by the end of your 530 miles, you'll find that starting a SOBO hike >2 months after leaving the trail will be quite challenging. The 100 Mile Wilderness isn't too bad but even the smaller ups and downs there as well as Moxie Bald and Pleasant Pond Mountain will be more difficult than anything you experienced in the South. Your first really long tough climb is ascending Avery Peak out of Safford Notch which you'll hit at Mile 178.

Jeff
05-13-2012, 11:53
The hostel Weary is referring to is Appalachian Trail Lodge and it's a good one!! http://www.appalachiantraillodge.com/

Spools
07-03-2012, 23:02
catching a bus to medway july 24th or 26.I got off in waynesboro and i am aching to be back on trail. :banana

Trail_Name
07-05-2012, 17:24
Hey, I'm heading SOBO in late July, too.... if you've got any questions, feel free to send me a PM!