PDA

View Full Version : June section hike - Springer

dh104
05-12-2012, 22:37
getting ready for my first AT section hike. My wife and I are planning to hike Springer to the GA border from June 9 to June 17. Any specific advice for this section and timeframe would be greatly appreciated. Planning to use the Hiker Hostel as our base of operations. Park there, spend the night get shuttled up to trail head, hike back and resupply and continue on until the following Sat or Sun.

bigcranky
05-13-2012, 09:02
Great plan. That's a nice time of year to be on the trail. The Hiker Hostel is terrific, you'll enjoy that experience I'm sure.

Specific advice. Hmm. Take it easy at first. Don't try to hike all 15 miles to Gooch Mountain the first day (trust me on this.) Stop at Hawk Mountain.

You'll need to pay attention to the bear canister section, and either hike through it w/o camping, or carry a canister.

Take a nice long break on the porch at Neels Gap, and talk to the staff about gear. Always fun.

Have a great hike!

Theosus
05-13-2012, 09:14
Can you park for a few days at Neels? I'm debating whether to do my first section in NC, but really want to start at the beginning. And how long does it usually take to get from the top of springer to Neels? I have to go to Atlanta any way, so Springer is closer, but I'm not sure if I should stop at Neels or Woody...

And doesn't the bear canister rule expire June 1?

max patch
05-13-2012, 09:38
Can you park for a few days at Neels? I'm debating whether to do my first section in NC, but really want to start at the beginning. And how long does it usually take to get from the top of springer to Neels? I have to go to Atlanta any way, so Springer is closer, but I'm not sure if I should stop at Neels or Woody...

And doesn't the bear canister rule expire June 1?

1. Park at Byron Reece parking lot about 1/4 mile N of Neels.
2. Depends on your pace, what time you actually get started after shuttle, etc, but most reach Neels sometime on day 3 (2 nites). If not sure of your pace carry an extra days food.
3. Yes.

FatMan
05-13-2012, 09:45
getting ready for my first AT section hike. My wife and I are planning to hike Springer to the GA border from June 9 to June 17. Any specific advice for this section and timeframe would be greatly appreciated. Planning to use the Hiker Hostel as our base of operations. Park there, spend the night get shuttled up to trail head, hike back and resupply and continue on until the following Sat or Sun.Mid June is a great time to hike. You will have plenty of water, mild to warm temps, plenty of shade (green tunnel) and no crowds. My only caution is avoid the poison ivy which is everywhere.

And doesn't the bear canister rule expire June 1?Average time from Springer to Neels is 3.5 days. And yes, the bear cannister regulation does expire June 1.

bigcranky
05-13-2012, 16:08
I'm going to say that the vast majority of hikers who start at Springer (and skip the approach trail) get to Neels Gap on the morning of day 4. That is, 3 nights on the trail. Can it be done in 2 nights? Sure, but I'd recommend against it except for experienced hikers who already have their trail legs.

+1 on the poison ivy - when we hiked that section in June '03 it was everywhere.

Theosus
05-13-2012, 18:32
I'm going to say that the vast majority of hikers who start at Springer (and skip the approach trail) get to Neels Gap on the morning of day 4. That is, 3 nights on the trail. Can it be done in 2 nights? Sure, but I'd recommend against it except for experienced hikers who already have their trail legs.

+1 on the poison ivy - when we hiked that section in June '03 it was everywhere.

Thanks... I figure I'll get to Neels, and hope to shuttle and be on trail by 1pm on day 1. By the evening on day 4 (3.5 days hiking) I'd like to be back at neels gap/my car. I could camp out just a little NOBO from neels and leave the next morning.

Anyone hammock this section in june? I don't have an underquilt, just a foam sleeping pad and a 20 degree bag. I left my pad at home a couple weeks ago and it got down to 38-40degrees. I was COLD at 5 am...

I envy the OP (and apologizing for pulling a ninja on his thread) for being able to do all of GA in one stretch...awesome plan.

FatMan
05-13-2012, 19:10
You will be fine in your hammock without an under quilt. But bring your pad for sure.

Veetack
05-13-2012, 19:18
I'm doing this section on May 28th, trying to make it to Fontana by June 5 but will probably come off at NOC. I'll give you specifics when I get back.

bigcranky
05-13-2012, 20:01
Oh sure, you can hammock in June. We did. You'll definitely want the pad for warmth under you.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/6/6/hammocks_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=10927)

If you are on the Trail by 1pm on day 1, you can take an easy pace and be at Hawk Mountain for the night (8 miles.) Then hike to Gooch Mountain or Gooch Gap, then somewhere on the climb of Blood, then a 3-4 mile hike down to Neels on day 4. No worries at all, just take it easy, take lots of breaks, drink plenty of water, etc.

dh104
05-14-2012, 06:43
Thanks, good luck! Ill look forward to your scouting report

BigRing
05-14-2012, 09:40
Hope your hike goes well. I will be starting out on the 16th of June from Springer with a group of friends. We plan on parking at Dicks Creek and catching a shuttle down to FS42 and hiking back to the vehicles.

MkBibble
05-14-2012, 11:28
... Don't try to hike all 15 miles to Gooch Mountain the first day (trust me on this.) Stop at Hawk Mountain.

I'll second this. That is exactly what I did and I felt GREAT right up to the point where both of my knees quit working. I learned a good lesson; don't push too hard in the beginning. On future journeys I took frequent breaks, even if I didn't feel like I needed it, for the first few days.

Have fun!

Whack-a-mole
05-16-2012, 11:42
I did this section in Feb. I got a late start that afternoon due to the drive down. Walked up Springer with my wife and back down to pl. Then she headed out to go visit friends in Atlanta. I stayed at Long Creek Falls the first night (It's beautiful there, but stay away from the falls, or you will be waking up all night trying to figure out what that noise is through your sleep fogged brain). Stayed at Gooch Mtn the second night, and Lance Creek the 3rd night. We could have gone farther than Lance Creek, but pulled up short to go over Blood Mtn with out being hasseled about bear canisters. Rolled into Neels Gap about 1pm. Left Neels at 2pm and just went up and over the first hump to some nice campsites, for night #4. Night #5 was at Low Gap shelter, and my wife picked me up the next afternoon at Unicoi Gap. This pace is cruising along, not high mileage by any means, but enough mileage to get somewhere. Also my pack was a little heavy. It was Feb and I had winter clothes. I'm glad I did as it was 13* with a good wind the first morning. We had one big ice storm, and one other heavy rain day, which slowed things down some. Anyway, I'm just trying to give you a picture of what I did, you can do more for sure if you want, especially with a lighter pack, but remember, HAVE FUN! And that does not always equal big mileage. It's not the miles, it's the smiles!