PDA

View Full Version : scariest/most bizarre camping stories?

MrMiner2
05-13-2012, 00:47
WARNING: Following contains violent content:

But it's up there on strange list.

Gf and I awoke in the middle of the night to some incredible screaming and moaning coming from the site next to ours. This middle aged dude was straight beating the &&$$ out of his wife. Very clear what was going on. She was yelling bloody murder. He got out of their tent at one point and started inviting her outside so he could "fing kill her." He then started yelling at the entire campground, stuff like "if anyone calls the cops I'll kill you", "i have a gun", etc etc. My gf was so scared she started crying. After 30 minutes or so of this he got in his truck and drove off. We were too paralyzed with fear to do anything. We finally fell back asleep, woke up in the morning, and seeing no sign of activity from their camp site (the truck was back) we packed up real quick and split.

Miami Joe
05-13-2012, 03:38
Scariest things in the woods are the people. Why not leave right then and there and drive to the police station?

MrMiner2
05-13-2012, 03:41
Because he was outside his tent saying he had a gun.....

MrMiner2
05-13-2012, 03:43
Oh after he left. I don't know like I said just scared really. Didn't know when/if he left for good or when he'd be back. Haha was a whole ago and I'm already young. But i was even younger then

MrMiner2
05-13-2012, 03:49
Bad story. Haha wish I could delete thread

MrMiner2
05-13-2012, 03:49
Haha bad story wish I could delete this thread

rocketsocks
05-13-2012, 07:30
Haha bad story wish I could delete this threadMr Miner,I'm reminded of a story I told awhile back,that I hoping you'll find some solace in.Timing is everything,and so thusly.I roll in off the trail into a hostel to find everyone laughing around a camp fire.After pleasantry's had bring exchanged I joined inon the fireside chat.After about a minute or so later I wasn't quite sure what to make of the conversation,one person would say a number ,and everyone would laugh,very odd indeed.I leaned over to the fella that was sitting next to me and quietly asked,whats going on,the man replied,"Oh,well everyone he has stayed at this hostel before,and there is this kind of a joke book that is written on the wall inside inside one of the bunks,and sense everybody here has read all the jokes before,they just say the numbers and everyone knows what joke there talking about,lot quicker that way" Thats pretty cool.I turned in for the night,and in the bunk where I'm sleeping,there on the wall is the joke book,Cool.I stayed up all night reading the little joke book.The next morning when I awoke everyone was outside having breakfast and had a fire going with coffee in a pot,Nice.I joined them,and decided to tell a joke I had read the night before,#25 I exclaim,and no one said anything hmm,that was a pretty good joke.Let me try again,#39,everyone stopped and looked at me but again no one laugh.OK,this is the best joke I've read last night and they are sure to laugh at this one,#17,and again no response,very strange indeed.I wondered over to the fella that had given me the skinny on the jokes last night and said,"Whats the deal here that was the best joke on the whole wall,I don't get why people didn't laugh"To which the fella replied,"Well,I guess some guys can tell a joke,some can't" Ba dump bump!I sure hope you have found this funny my friend,cause last time I told it,didn't work either.HeHeHe:)happy trails

Velvet Gooch
05-13-2012, 08:36
My friend told me that this happened to a friend of a friend. She decided to hike the Appalachian Trail alone. She traveled the entire length of the trail and took seven rolls of film with her. She camped in the woods along the way.

When she returned home, she took her film to get it developed. When she picked up the film, there were pictures on five of those rolls of her sleeping.

True story.

Veetack
05-13-2012, 15:51
My friend told me that this happened to a friend of a friend. She decided to hike the Appalachian Trail alone. She traveled the entire length of the trail and took seven rolls of film with her. She camped in the woods along the way.

When she returned home, she took her film to get it developed. When she picked up the film, there were pictures on five of those rolls of her sleeping.

True story.

That is super creepy. I'm male and it made me shudder.

MrMiner2
05-13-2012, 16:52
Yeah that's crazy. Thankfully the person that close to her didn't do anything to her. I have one of a friends I'll post later

Velvet Gooch
05-13-2012, 23:51
This happened some years ago. I'd been out paddling most of the day. I awoke in my canoe. As I sat rubbing the sleep from my eyes, the decomposing corpse of Jason Voorhees attacked me and pulled me out of the canoe. Just as I'm dragged underwater, I awoke in a hospital, where a police officer tells me that some passersby pulled me out of the lake. When I asked about Jason, the officers informed me they never found any boy. I thought to myself, "Then he's still there."

True story.

Miami Joe
05-14-2012, 00:09

True story.

calling b.s. but that's a great story

Johnny Thunder
05-14-2012, 01:03
i almost got axe murdered at a hiker festival in vermont. no joke, lumpy saved my life.

Gray Blazer
05-14-2012, 09:46
WARNING: Following contains violent content:

But it's up there on strange list.

Gf and I awoke in the middle of the night to some incredible screaming and moaning coming from the site next to ours. This middle aged dude was straight beating the &&$$ out of his wife. Very clear what was going on. She was yelling bloody murder. He got out of their tent at one point and started inviting her outside so he could "fing kill her." He then started yelling at the entire campground, stuff like "if anyone calls the cops I'll kill you", "i have a gun", etc etc. My gf was so scared she started crying. After 30 minutes or so of this he got in his truck and drove off. We were too paralyzed with fear to do anything. We finally fell back asleep, woke up in the morning, and seeing no sign of activity from their camp site (the truck was back) we packed up real quick and split.

Sounds like long-time alchoholics. They prolly present this play for others all the time. I've seen it before under different circumstances with different players. Definitely scary.

oldbear
05-14-2012, 10:25
I almost walked off of a 400' cliff one night in while taking the Tonto Trail East into Cottonwood Creek Grand Canyon NP
Luckily I was hiking solo and had been on the Tonto Trail for 11 days so I heard space and felt my feet leaving the compacted trail at the same time and immediatley stopped and evaluated my situation which was one more full stride from walking into space

max patch
05-14-2012, 10:31
Years ago I took 5 friends, 4 of who had never backpacked before, on a hike from Amicalola State Park to Springer. The shelter was half full when we got there, so we hiked on to the old Stover Creek shelter, which at the time was actually right on FS 42 (that shelter had 3 locations before it was demolished). About 11 PM a car pulled up and 3 slightly drunk young men walked up to the shelter and asked if we "knew how to get to Doraville" (a suburb of Atlanta). I told them, they left. Scared the crap out of my 4 friends who had never backpacked before.

scree
05-14-2012, 16:01
Most unsettling night I recall was a September night on top of Humpback Mountain near Rockfish Gap, VA. The fog was about the thickest I'd ever seen during the day and it only got thicker at night. Sounds were muted, everything was drippy wet, and it was very peaceful/ethereal hiking during the day. I normally like foggy days.

That night about 11, I started hearing children's laughter off in the distance, fading in and out but gradually coming up the mountain - not following the course of a trail, but coming straight up the sides. I could make out three distinct children's voices and one adult female's voice. Eventually it sounded like they were passing right through my campsite and should have been close enough to see, but I never saw anyone. All I could hear was laughter right up close and the occasional mumbled word, but I couldn't make out what they were saying. The sound stopped abruptly soon after it got close and didn't start back up again.

I often wonder if it was just a strange acoustical phenomenon due to the fog, but I can't explain how the voices got closer, why they stopped, or why a woman and three children would be playing loudly outside on a cold, dark, intensely foggy autumn night.

Rain Man
05-14-2012, 20:15
... Why not leave right then and there and drive to the police station?

AMEN... don't ever let a man beat a woman without AT LEAST reporting it to the police. Sad to read about a woman being badly beaten, and no one lifting a finger to help her in any way.

Rain Man

MrMiner2
05-14-2012, 20:24
I was 17 or something. Pretty far from a police station. Sorry. Obviously would have in hindsight. And I believe the morning we were packing up a different (older) neighbor asked us if we were alright and that he would take care of it.