PDA

View Full Version : What costs so much

Andrewsobo
05-13-2012, 02:41
In every discussion about the cost of thru-hiking, I see numbers thrown out around $3,000 to $7,000 as the amount required to thru hike. I just don't understand where all that money goes, is that counting the gear purchases beforehand or something?

Currently I live on about $250-300 a month in food, and I eat out pretty regularly. The only other expense I have is rent and utilities. So not paying those on the trail, I don't see how I won't actually spend less money than I usually do. Five months of hiking x 300 = $1500, and thats more than I spend most months on food currently. I'm intending to start with $4,000, but I'd like to try to do the trail on under $2,000 if possible, not counting to and from the trail or any major gear replacements I have to do.

What's the cheapest anyone has done the trail, adjusted for inflation.

Winds
05-13-2012, 03:12
Here’s one thread on this, there are more.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?82450-What-s-The-Least-Amount-of-Anyone-Here-Has-Spent-Hiking-The-Trail

I have looked at costs from nearly every angle to understand it. The first thing I think most don’t understand is you will require 2-3 times more food than you are eating now on a thru-hike (if you are NOT marathon training constantly now).

I can only speak for me, and my planning. I am planning on 5K minimum NOT including my initial gear, and travel to and from the trail. This should give me some comfort room.

Also, there appears to be almost a linear association with money needed to amount of time (days) you’ll be on your hike and the amount/type of activities you wish to do in towns.

Below is my list of what costs money once your hike has begun.

ATM Charges
Batteries
Clothing (new)
Clothing repairs
Emergencies (health)
First aide supplies (sun screen, mole skin, anti-septic, etc...)
Food
Fuel
Gear (new or replacement)
Gear fixes
Hygiene items (soap, toothpaste, toilet paper, etc.)
Laundry services / supplies
Lodging (hotels, hostels, campsites, cabins, shelters, lean-tos / permits)
Mail drops (receiving)
Mailing bounce boxes, supplies home, incoming supplies/food, postcards, gifts, etc...
Maps
Miscellaneous purchases (gifts, cards, books, etc)
Phone card / cell phone charges
Restaurants
Showers
Shuttles
Town entertainment (movie, alcohol, etc.)

Bronk
05-13-2012, 03:42
I did a 4 month hike in 2002 for between $1600 and $1700. And that included 2 motel rooms and a lot of town food and a few beers in town. I took almost all of my zero days on the trail. If you stay out of towns you won't spend as much money. I tried to plan it so that I was only in town for a couple of hours. Get in, get your resupply, get a shower and do some laundry, get a restaurant meal and then get the hell out of Dodge. Even if you only hitch back to the trail and walk a mile into the woods you're saving a lot of money...

Because if you stay in town in a motel you're talking money for the room, then you're going to go get a second restaurant meal, then you're going to go out and have a few beers with the other hikers staying in town, then in the morning you're going to get a third town meal before you get back on the trail. You will see many, many hikers playing this scenario out on a weekly basis...some every 2 or 3 days. Some of them will stay 2 or 3 days in a town in order to "take a break from the trail." So if you're blowing $100 or more every time you cross a town, and in the south you're hitting a town every 3 days, you're going to spend $1000 a month easy. That is the way A LOT of people do it.

If you become part of one of these little hiking cliques that form you will spend more money. Groupthink starts to take over and group decisions start being made. You'll hike a few miles farther to keep up with your group, or you'll stop early because everyone else in your group is stopping for the night. You'll stay in town because your group is in town. Every time you pass a town there will always be at least one member of your group that wants to stay in town...and not many in your group will put up too much of a fight at that suggestion...and along with that stay in town comes all of the accompanying expenses.

So if you want to save money you'll want to stay out of the towns as much as possible and maintain your independence from all of the little high school type cliques that form.

WIAPilot
05-13-2012, 04:16
I don't know how young you are or what your level of comfort is, but Winds provided an excellent list. And Bronx offered some sage words of advice.

If you are under 30, I think that what is so difficult for the young crowd is that they meet other hikers along the way and want to hang out. It is going to be hard to stay back at camp while they all have a blast in town. When it has rained 21 days out of 30 and you want to stay in a hostel or motel; when you are starving and can think of nothing but food for miles - you are going to want to hit the pizza places and restaurants at every town you get a chance. Because you will be burning up a heck of a lot of calories! And while you may believe you can avoid towns, when all your clothes are caked in mud and your tent and sleeping bag are starting to mildew, you will have second thoughts!! It's hard to do laundry and just walk past the burger and pizza joints when you are that hungry!

The main thing is to not put yourself in the position where you aren't able to join your buds or have to mooch meals and rooms off them because you never thought that it would be that expensive. Most estimates are $4000-$5000 for a six-month trip. If you can do it in 5 months - maybe $3000-$4000. If you are able to save it at all, try to budget at least $4500. It may be the worst rainy season to date and it may take you closer to 6 months. You don't have to spend it, but you'll have it when you need it.

From everything I have heard about, your buddies may help you out a few times, but paying for someone else gets pretty old; pretty fast. Many of these hikers who are not financially prepared are quickly ditched.

And before you protest, turn it around. I'm sure that you wouldn't mind paying for a few meals or sharing your room with a hiking buddy a few times. But you sure aren't going to appreciate it if it goes on for days or weeks.

To me, there would be nothing more heartbreaking than to be forced off the trail because you ran out of money...

fiddlehead
05-13-2012, 05:16
Biggest expenses to me were hotel rooms and food in restaurants.
Sure you can live cheap and sleep in a tent near town and eat out of supermarkets.
But few do. Mostly because you are wet, cold and dirty and in need of some comfort.
It rains a lot. You start to look forward to a time when you can dry everything out and clean up and EVERYONE thinks about better food than they have in their pack.

YOu can live on $200 a month for food. Fine. But I bet you can't eating out at restaurants in NY, CT, MA and VT.
Especially when you just finished their biggest steak and are thinking about ordering a reuben sandwich with fried BEFORE you get your pie ala-mode (maybe a double order at that) Experiences like this can easily cost you $50. And your body can eat it all believe me.

So, we're talking $80 a night for a room in some of these towns, and $50 for one meal. And your friends decide to stay another night cause there's rain in the forecast. So, now you think about it. Should I spend another $150 or set out in the morning like I planned. (cause they are all at the bar discussing it, and paying $5 a bottle for beer)

So yeah, you can hike cheap. But will you?
A lot of your decisions will depend on the weather.

I once took 2 friends to Springer in Feb. It was 70 deg the day they started.
A week later, it dropped to much cooler temps and they got tired of being cold.
They spend over $1,000 each in the first month JUST in hotel rooms.
They came home after 500 miles.

Having the money for the unexpected times can make all the difference.

Grampie
05-13-2012, 07:25
It's not the money that is required to be spent, on a thru. It's the money that you select to spend. As you hike north and get into the more densely populated areas you cross more roads that lead to more creature conforts that are hard to pass up. Especialy after being on the trail for several days without a soft bed, hot shower and a good meal. Having enough money to be able to take advantage of this helps in a long way in having a sucessfull thru-hike. The trail can wear you down after hiking wet, dirty and hungary for good food, days on end. When you can get to town, eat a couple of good meals, sleep in a soft dry bed, take a hot shower, wash some dirty cloths and resupply, buying anything you want, having the funds to do this go a long way in making you a happy hiker once again.
It's not only the young that enjoy towns when doing a thru. I was 66 years on my thru-hike and if it wasn't for the town stops, I probably would have bailed.

WIAPilot
05-13-2012, 07:37
LOL That's a given, Grampie! But most of the older hikers (except for the minimalists :cool:) have already phoned in their reservations and staked out the towns! We know what it is going to cost. And I'm not trying to berate younger hikers in the least. I'm just saying to know the whole story before you get out on the trail, because I really do want them to be successful.

garlic08
05-13-2012, 08:44
You (the OP) sound just like my hiking partner. He structured his life so he does not have to pay rent or utilities when he's hiking. He eats, travels and entertains anyway. He gets a steady gov't pension. So he says he actually comes out ahead when he's hiking a long trail and I believe him. He just does not understand it when people talk about thru hiking costs.

But he, and possibly you, are real rarities. The majority of hikers cannot completely stop their town lives and a trip like the AT becomes a net loss.

I tabulated the expenses for my AT hike: Trail food, $800. Town food, $700 (I spared no expense here). Lodging $900 (likewise, no skimping). Gear worn out and replaced, $400. Transportation to and from, $700. Total about $3500 for a 3.5 month hike in 2008. I had budgeted $5000, so I was pleased it was that much cheaper. My life is simpler than most, but I am married and own a house so I can't break out and subtract my regular non-trail expenses.

WIAPilot
05-13-2012, 09:57
Garlic: I understand what you are saying, but two things should be noted:

1. It cost you $3500 for a 3.5 month hike. According to your figures, if he plans to do this in 5 months, he will need $5000. And again, what if bad weather forces him to take 5.5 months? He definitely needs an emergency fund.

2. Due to the rising spike in gas prices, food and restaurant costs have increased by about 20% in the past 4 yrs.

Pedaling Fool
05-13-2012, 09:58
What costs so much is what everyone is "trying" to get away from...society, so that they may become one with nature. Funny how they end up longing so much for civizilation after just a couple days with mother nature:D

garlic08
05-13-2012, 10:33
I would argue (just for the sake of argument) that not everyone who hikes the AT is trying to get away from society. For many, it's more like an athletic endeavor and camping is more like a necessary evil. Some enjoy being tourists, seeing the towns and meeting local people. There's nothing wrong with that. They support the local economy, too.

4shot
05-13-2012, 10:35
What costs so much is what everyone is "trying" to get away from...society, so that they may become one with nature. Funny how they end up longing so much for civizilation after just a couple days with mother nature:D

there is much truth in this. I didn't appreciate what a luxury water from a tap anytime I was thirsty or a hot shower/clean clothes on a daily basis was until I spent 5+ months on the hike.

To the OP, here's an experiment...don't eat for the next 3 days. Then walk into a convenience store and buy 3 hot dogs, a bag of chips, a quart of chocolate milk, a 32 ounce Gatoraid, 2 bear claws and a pint of ice cream (or pick your own items of preference).See what your tab comes up to for just one gourmet feast like the one I described.

I suppose one can discipline oneself not to partake of such delicacies but after 4 days of instant rice and snickers, if you have the willpower to do so you are much stronger than I certainly was on my hike I did know one guy who was on a very strict budget and he started worrying about $ when we were in places like Franklin and Hot Springs. There's plenty of challenges in a thruhike without worrying about $ (imo).

Like the poster above said, if you are like most thruhikers, you will get all the hiking/camping in that you want during the 5-6 month walk, it's the break from the routine that provides a mental lift.

as john gault says, it is the human condition...when we are in town for too long, we miss the woods. when we are in the woods for extended periods, we miss the conveniences of town.

About_Time
05-13-2012, 10:43
there is much truth in this. I didn't appreciate what a luxury water from a tap anytime I was thirsty or a hot shower/clean clothes on a daily basis was until I spent 5+ months on the hike.

To the OP, here's an experiment...don't eat for the next 3 days. Then walk into a convenience store and buy 3 hot dogs, a bag of chips, a quart of chocolate milk, a 32 ounce Gatoraid, 2 bear claws and a pint of ice cream (or pick your own items of preference).See what your tab comes up to for just one gourmet feast like the one I described.

I suppose one can discipline oneself not to partake of such delicacies but after 4 days of instant rice and snickers, if you have the willpower to do so you are much stronger than I certainly was on my hike I did know one guy who was on a very strict budget and he started worrying about $ when we were in places like Franklin and Hot Springs. There's plenty of challenges in a thruhike without worrying about $ (imo).

Like the poster above said, if you are like most thruhikers, you will get all the hiking/camping in that you want during the 5-6 month walk, it's the break from the routine that provides a mental lift.

as john gault says, it is the human condition...when we are in town for too long, we miss the woods. when we are in the woods for extended periods, we miss the conveniences of town.

In addition to the feast, I'd always try to walk out of the store with "treats" for at least the next meal, if not the next two meals. The stores you encounter are in mostly very rural locations and charge more than the local corner store in your home town. It will add up quick...

Moose2001
05-13-2012, 10:50
Because if you stay in town in a motel you're talking money for the room, then you're going to go get a second restaurant meal, then you're going to go out and have a few beers with the other hikers staying in town, then in the morning you're going to get a third town meal before you get back on the trail. You will see many, many hikers playing this scenario out on a weekly basis...some every 2 or 3 days. Some of them will stay 2 or 3 days in a town in order to "take a break from the trail." So if you're blowing $100 or more every time you cross a town, and in the south you're hitting a town every 3 days, you're going to spend $1000 a month easy. That is the way A LOT of people do it.

Bronk is right. This is where the money goes fast. After several weeks on the trail, it's very hard to pass up any opportunity for a meal in town, a shower and some comfort. It takes a lot of discipline to go into town, resupply, hitch out and hike on. I'm not saying it can't be done but it's not any easy thing to do. Also, don't discount the social pressure from other hikers to hang and have a good time.

It's your hike. Only you can decide how much money you are going to spend.

rickb
05-13-2012, 11:02
People mold thier hikes to match those of others.

HYOH? Yea, right.

Thru hiking didn't always mean food orgies and beds with sheets, but hard to get around that now.

SOBOs may stand a better chance.

Too bad more TP Walters aren't our there showing an alternative path-- for those wo might end up wanting to go that route.

oldbear
05-13-2012, 11:46
Andrewsobo
The rule is that it's better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

4shot
05-13-2012, 12:04
Thru hiking didn't always mean food orgies and beds with sheets, but hard to get around that now.

Grampa, please tell us how hard it was to SOBO back in your day!;)

DavidNH
05-13-2012, 12:38
let me just say that if you think you aren't going to hit the restaurants and buffets at least once a week and more likely twice a week or that you won't regularly stay in hostels and some occasional hotels then you are kidding your self.

Food is ALL the hiker thinks about.. ok.. almost all. All that costs money. Plus there will be places where the cost of lodging isn't so cheap as in places in the south. Sometimes you can bunk at a hostel for free to 20 bucks. Other times, you'll shell out 50-100 for a hotel room. The further north you go, the pricier things get.

in 2012, you can EASILY spend 5,000 plus on a thru hike and that's not including cost of gear and transport to trailhead and back home.

DavidNH

weary
05-13-2012, 13:11
I hiked in a different era and at a different age than most. 1993 and age 64. And I sent around 25 mail drops to avoid convenience store prices, and the temptations of towns. Quite often post offices are closer to the trail than stores and expensive restaurants. Unfortunately, I didn't keep a close tab of expenses, but I suspect it was well under $500 a month. I stayed only three nights in motels and enjoyed being a compatriot of 20 somethings occasionally during town stops, and overnights in hostels. I didn't skimp on restaurant meals or beers, and bought an occasion bottle of bourbon, but I did minimize town stops. I walked too slow to get tied closely into cliques, but I did keep running into the same groups again and again. I was much slower on the trail, but younger people spent much more time in towns. Anyway, I started April 13 on Springer and finished 6 months and 3 days later on Katahdin. It was worth every penny. And I enoyed everyday -- or at least most days

Datto
05-13-2012, 13:32
Also, since you're asking, make sure you have 1/2 of your AT budget available to you when you cross into Connecticut (assuming a northbound AT thru-hike). You'll be shocked at how much money it costs in town if that's you're choosing when you reach the northeastern states. By that time you'll be cracking out miles and your body (and possibly the completion of your thru-hike) may require way more calories than you can imagine reading this text in front of a computer sitting in a comfy chair. I saw a considerable number of people who just plain ran out of energy in the northeastern states when their budget dwindled to early in their thru-hike.

In the southern states (for a northbounder), you'll usually have very inexpensive town costs (comparatively) but you'll likely be hiking through days and days of rain and mud and somewhat cold weather. You may not yet be attuned to long-distance hiking and might choose to go into town without a thought of the costs of a town visit (I'm cracking myself up here).

Datto

Andrewsobo
05-13-2012, 14:13
I'm planning an August 1st southbound, so a lot of these considerations about hiking with a group, etc., aren't as much of an issue.

There is pretty much no way I'd ever drop $80 for a motel room by myself. It's just completely out of the question, I'd quit the trail before doing something like that. I'm going to hike, not spend 8 days worth of trail food for a couple hours in a bed and a shower. I'm not saying that it's a bad thing to do or judging others, but I'm a 24 year old on a limited budget and luxuries like that are not the point of me doing this.

I'm not saying I'm some sort of ascetic who can live off rice and raisins the whole trip, and I will definitely give in to the occasional beer and pizza, but overall I can't imagine spending much time or money in towns, partially due to the fact that as a late starting southbounder, there won't be anything to do or anyone to hang out with.

I stated it in my OP but I'll post it again, I plan on bringing $4,000 and I'd like to only use $2000 of it.

Also, I've been a bike commuter for the past 6 years, so I'm pretty used to eating a large amount of calories in order to have the energy to get to and from work/school/wherever, and I still only spend about $300 a month eating out a few times a week.

The next question I have is the cost of mail drops vs buying crap at supermarkets. I have a great local supermarket here with many bulk items that I can buy in hiker quantities, bag up, and ship to post offices along the trail. At this point though, I'm planning only maybe 4 mail drops at certain points and resupplying along the trail the rest of the time. This seems to be a cheaper route, as doing 25 mail drops x $10 shipping (guess) = $250 in just shipping charges. Am I really going to save $250+ by not buying the same food at local mountain grocery stores and crap? It's hard to imagine the prices being that much more expensive to make the mail drops worth it.

If this gives any sort of a perspective on my mindset and preparations for the trail, I've been living off of $600 a month and saving $1000+ (over 60% of my income) since I started planning for the trip. I come from a less than rich background and I basically already live like a thru-hiker (once a week shower, etc.) so maybe some people just have a bigger lifestyle adjustment. I've been working kind of random jobs and living in random places for a while, including travel around the country as a bike rickshaw (bike taxi, pedicab, whatever you want to call it) pilot, sleeping in a tent and working days pulling fat rednecks up hills at NASCAR events and crap. I don't think the trail will be easy, but I can't see me needing to eat more than I did doing 60 miles of biking a day with 500 pounds of fat redneck dragging me down.

bigcranky
05-13-2012, 16:05
Shipping gets expensive and eats up (sorry) any savings on the food itself. Sending four or five seems reasonable, but for most resupply you can get to a decent grocery store from the trail. Lots of development in the small towns even in the South in the last ten years = more choices for groceries, restaurants, etc.

Have a great hike.

4shot
05-13-2012, 16:15
I stated it in my OP but I'll post it again, I plan on bringing $4,000 and I'd like to only use $2000 of it.

The next question I have is the cost of mail drops vs buying crap at supermarkets. I have a great local supermarket here with many bulk items that I can buy in hiker quantities, bag up, and ship to post offices along the trail. At this point though, I'm planning only maybe 4 mail drops at certain points and resupplying along the trail the rest of the time. This seems to be a cheaper route, as doing 25 mail drops x $10 shipping (guess) = $250 in just shipping charges. Am I really going to save $250+ by not buying the same food at local mountain grocery stores and crap? It's hard to imagine the prices being that much more expensive to make the mail drops worth it.

I've been working kind of random jobs and living in random places for a while, including travel around the country as a bike rickshaw (bike taxi, pedicab, whatever you want to call it) pilot, sleeping in a tent and working days pulling fat rednecks up hills at NASCAR events and crap. I don't think the trail will be easy, but I can't see me needing to eat more than I did doing 60 miles of biking a day with 500 pounds of fat redneck dragging me down.

I was against maildrops when I started because I didn't want to hike to any schedule (i.e. get to town A by Saturday at noon so I could beat the post office). Alot of guys spent time doing this and bouncin stuff, etc. Not my cup of tea and I doubt it's much of a cost savings. However, towards the middle I started requesting some from home because of the lack of variety in the dollar generals and convenience stores (most non-hikers do not believe you can buy a week's worth of groceries at a gas station).

BTW, if you are working at Talladega or Bristol before your start date, if Uncle Earl and Aunt Darlene (they have matching tie-dyed Little E t-shirts fyi) ask for a bike ride, you'd best tell them you are off duty. If you try to tote those two up a hill on a bicycle, you won't be thruhiking this year. But you'll get to see the effects of a thru-hikers diet on two people who don't get any exercise.:)

leaftye
05-13-2012, 16:27
Food will cost more.

1. You'll be eating much more than you do at home. For some people it may be 2-4 times as much. You're exercising all day, not just a couple hours while bike commuting.
2. Food in small towns costs more than in big cities.
3. You'll often be forced to buy more expensive small packages than cost effective bulk package like you could at home.
4. You won't have the great options or knowledge to choose the cheapest place to shop.
5. You'll want to eat at restaurants while in town to save hassle and time, plus it tastes awfully good.

It's great to try to figure out how to save money, but you should still have the money available so you're not stressing about having enough money to finish your hike.

Mountain Mike
05-13-2012, 16:41
Bulk buying will save money if it allows you to get out of town without spending a night. A bounce box works well too from larger towns to smaller ones. Mailing helps budgeting knowing food is mostly bought beforehand (consider cost of mailing ).

rickb
05-13-2012, 16:49
For all the talk about hiking your own hike, most hike like those around them. For every Tipi Walter, there are 1000 sheeple.

You will do fine.

FWIW I may have been the last to start southbound my year, so when I dare suggest that you mmdon't pqay too much attention to the nobos coming the other way, it is coming from that perspective. After Monson a smart Sobo knows more than most of the pack hikers coming north.

If you are strong, resupply when you want to. Cut the excess weight like a maniac, but if you want to carry extra food to stay on the trail and into the flow you are establishing that's OK.

No need to stay in motels -- that was somethind that never even dawned on me -- but do keep in mind that your body is a machine which does need to be maintianed pyhsically and psychologically. Time to get off that dollar menu crap now!

Have a great hike.

stranger
05-14-2012, 07:12
Alcohol, restaurant meals and motels are very big expenses for many hikers.

Sure...you can avoid the party scene, but it's harder to get away from those amazing restaurant meals. Motels for me are not optional, I have been doing this for far too long to ever sleep in a hostel again...and you may think you are going to cross the road and camp in the pouring rain, but most hikers will hitch into town 'just this one time' and there goes the neighborhood money wise, cause thar happens quite a few times.

Bring money and spend it, don't compromise...have fun and no regrets!

peakbagger
05-14-2012, 08:26
Even at some hostels there is the "upsell" where the actual cost for the hostel is quite reasonable but if you are in the mood to spend money, the owner will accompany you. An incredible luxury for some is a slackpack where the hostel owner drops you off with a daypack and you hike a section of trailwithout a backpack. If you are in trailshape and not injured, you can do a whole lot of miles without a full pack on. Some places offer a double or triple slack pack where you do a couple of days worth. The service is sometimes free but normally there is a price (even if its listed as a "donation" to get around insurance and permitting). Another uplanned for expense is takeout food delivered to a road crossing. Very hard to pass up a pizza at Partnership shelter (or several other locations along the trail).

If you want to go "low" cost thats your decision, but please dont do it on the backs of AT service providers along the trail. If you stay at a facility there are costs to run it and as far as I know there are no facilities along the trail with an endowment fund to pay for low budget hikers who dont need to pay. If you stay at a hostel, plan to pay the fee, negotiate a work for stay in advance or leave the recomended donation. If want to rationalize that leaving without paying is anything other than "mooching" feel free but realize that you arent fooling anyone and you may be partially responsible for another trail service going away.

RED-DOG
05-14-2012, 11:06
I am doing this from a labtop a trailangel is leting me use while sitting on the side of the road someplace in New Jersey, eating one of their delicious apples and decided to come on here right now i spent roughly 6000 dollars and thats gear and every thing i will probably spend around 8000 this year. This is the most costly year i have ever seen on the AT on my Flip-Flop in 96 i spent 2600 and in 2006 i spent 4500. and the price is only going to rise by. What you spend most of your money on is food and lodging north of Harpers Ferry eveything basically doubles. so whatever you are budgetting on your thru-hike next year or whenever you better double it or your funds want make it. I got to go i have used to much of these nice folks time. RED-DOG ( Flip-Flop 96 GA-ME 06 and again in a very costly 2012 ) Good luck to you all and save that money.:cool:

turtle fast
05-14-2012, 11:43
Food and lodging are the big costs, apart from your gear which can easily be over a $1000. The AT hiker adage a dollar a mile is dead, its more like $2 dollars a mile now.

weary
05-14-2012, 13:01
With diligent searches for coupons and sales, I suspect mail drops still offer both savings and a better diet. More important than direct savings, however, mail drops keep one out of towns. I was surprised to discover how many little towns had post offices, near the trail, but no nearby stores. I saved miles and many hours of hitching by relying on the post office. Nor were post office hours usually a problem. I paced my walk to match the hours PO were open. The trail is not a race. I enjoyed opportunities to slow down, to take side trails or just relaxing to check out the plants, flowers, and wildlife.

leaftye
05-14-2012, 13:32
With diligent searches for coupons and sales, I suspect mail drops still offer both savings and a better diet. More important than direct savings, however, mail drops keep one out of towns. I was surprised to discover how many little towns had post offices, near the trail, but no nearby stores. I saved miles and many hours of hitching by relying on the post office. Nor were post office hours usually a problem. I paced my walk to match the hours PO were open. The trail is not a race. I enjoyed opportunities to slow down, to take side trails or just relaxing to check out the plants, flowers, and wildlife.

Mail drops can be great, but it's a difficult method to optimize. For one, it just about necessitates having a cell phone to call for a mail drop unless having packages forwarded or returned is acceptable.

I haven't checked if mail drops are cheaper, simply because I don't have a choice with my chosen trail diet. Most of my diet isn't obtainable in trail towns. That said, trail mix is a lot less expensive from Costco and at least one bulk mail order website. Those savings partly or wholly make up for the shipping costs. I always recommend priority mail because those packages can be forwarded or returned at no additional cost...at least flat rate packages can be forwarded, I'm not sure about regional rate priority packages.

stranger
05-14-2012, 18:11
In every discussion about the cost of thru-hiking, I see numbers thrown out around $3,000 to $7,000 as the amount required to thru hike. I just don't understand where all that money goes, is that counting the gear purchases beforehand or something?

Currently I live on about $250-300 a month in food, and I eat out pretty regularly. The only other expense I have is rent and utilities. So not paying those on the trail, I don't see how I won't actually spend less money than I usually do. Five months of hiking x 300 = $1500, and thats more than I spend most months on food currently. I'm intending to start with $4,000, but I'd like to try to do the trail on under $2,000 if possible, not counting to and from the trail or any major gear replacements I have to do.

What's the cheapest anyone has done the trail, adjusted for inflation.

I can see how (if you haven't hiked long-distances before) it can be hard to understand where the money goes, probably the biggest difference is that you are hiking, not at home. Your monthly figure is irrelevant because in your daily life you aren't sleeping in damp sleeping bags, patching dirty blisters, or dealing with shin splints.

Throw in a some tendonitis, a few snow storms, some gear replacement and a few unexpected motel stops and your $2000 figure is blown by Harpers Ferry, if not Waynesboro. I've seen young, inexperienced hikers drop $800 by the time they reach Neels Gap, sometimes more. One hiker I know put $1200 on his card at Mountain Crossings.

For a fit, experienced, and efficient hiker...a thru-hike of $2500-3000 is quite achievable I would imagine (I've never thru-hiked) but based on my hikes, $3/mile is the way to go.

Pony
05-15-2012, 18:49
After Monson a smart Sobo knows more than most of the pack hikers coming north.

I'm not saying you're entirely wrong here, but I got pretty irritated with a lot of SOBO's I met in Vermont and New Hampshire. A lot of them seemed to be pretty full of themselves because they made it through Maine and New Hampshire. I would have loved to talked to them in SW Virginia after they had been on the trail for 4-5 months.

Mountain Mike
05-15-2012, 19:19
I went with the $1 a mile & it worked out great. Mountain House for most meals. But that was in 88! After the AT & PCT I have learned to eat cheap on the trail & I kinda avoid towns. I lean torwards Tipi more than ultralights. 7-10 betwen resupply. Towns EAT up money if you let them. Cook yourself in town. You can make a whole bunch of cheeseburgers for that $9 restaraunt one.
Food and lodging are the big costs, apart from your gear which can easily be over a $1000. The AT hiker adage a dollar a mile is dead, its more like $2 dollars a mile now.

Bucho
05-22-2012, 22:04
Currently I live on about $250-300 a month in food, and I eat out pretty regularly.

Keep in mind that the quantity of food you eat and the quantity of food a thru hiker eats should be very different and freeze dried food is not on the cheap side. From there the big things people do to rack up the cost of their trips are stay in town, eat in town and drink in town.

ATSeamstress
05-22-2012, 23:22
I would argue (just for the sake of argument) that not everyone who hikes the AT is trying to get away from society. For many, it's more like an athletic endeavor and camping is more like a necessary evil. Some enjoy being tourists, seeing the towns and meeting local people. There's nothing wrong with that. They support the local economy, too.

I couldn't have said it better.

rocketsocks
05-23-2012, 00:27
I couldn't have said it better.

Not going to get somwhere
not going to get away
not a calling that's been calling me
or a roll I had to play
It's just a trail that's deep in the woods
and happend to be on my way
I'll dream of you each night my love
in the shelter where I lay.

These are some words I wrote down last year as part of a song a work in progress if you will,I to feel many hike not to get away,but because it's.... just there.

ATSeamstress
05-23-2012, 00:48
Andrew, you have the mindset to live well beneath your means, and that's half the battle. Having saved twice your intended budget is great, and the responsible thing to do. (If every hiker did this we wouldn't be hearing so much about the moochers and freeloaders.)

My only advice, and it probably goes without saying, is be sure to have a current AT Guide or Companion. I use both maildrops and real grocery stores (but for different reasons, I don't like to hitch, so whichever is closer). Lots of non-PO places hold maildrops and sometimes those places are right by the trail. Inexpensive (and a few free) showers can be found. If the weather is holding out, maybe a shower is all you need. AYCE places are great for the hiker appetite. With a current guide, you can find all these places. Plus, hostels vary greatly in price and services (add-ons) offered. Knowing your options in advance can help you stay on budget.

ATSeamstress
05-23-2012, 00:53
Not going to get somwhere
not going to get away
not a calling that's been calling me
or a roll I had to play
It's just a trail that's deep in the woods
and happend to be on my way
I'll dream of you each night my love
in the shelter where I lay.

These are some words I wrote down last year as part of a song a work in progress if you will,I to feel many hike not to get away,but because it's.... just there.

Thanks for sharing that!

rocketsocks
05-23-2012, 01:00
Thanks for sharing that!No problem,thanks for reading it.Not so much as a plug for me,as it is a plug for the Trail,It just seems to pull people,it takes over there life....transforms them....often for the good.Very Cool.peace

Saprogenic
05-23-2012, 11:04
I've been asking myself the same question. What I've noticed is that people today are wimpy and spoiled my modern conviences. They like the idea of nature as opposed to actually enjoying being in it, always thinking about that next town or next motel or next restaraunt. Spending more time on pavement in town than on the trail. Now I'mnot saying everyone should be the same, it's just what I've noticed. As one said earlier, they like the athlethic part of it, seeing the camping aspect as torture. I'm hiking this year because of my love of being in the bush, not because I want to whine and complain about how wet and dirty the forest is, waiting for my next hotel stay. You'll be fine.

Llama Legs
05-23-2012, 11:49
I've always been curious about an individual's total cost and have asked many, many successful thru hikers that question. All-time favorite answer was "Do you want to know how much I spent? or do you want to know how much I told MY WIFE I spent..." ;)

Andrewsobo
05-23-2012, 16:48
Well I will try to keep a complete tally of what I end up spending, and may try to write a guide for budget backpacking if I pull it off at a decent price. So far i've already dropped over $1,000 on gear before I've even started...

kayak karl
05-23-2012, 17:48
Well I will try to keep a complete tally of what I end up spending, and may try to write a guide for budget backpacking if I pull it off at a decent price. So far i've already dropped over $1,000 on gear before I've even started...
the problem is if you write a budget book is; those that would need it couldn't afford it and those that could afford it.....wouldn't need it.:D

WIAPilot
05-23-2012, 17:59
the problem is if you write a budget book is; those that would need it couldn't afford it and those that could afford it.....wouldn't need it.:D

And those who would follow it would be too cheap to purchase it! :D

AAhiker
05-23-2012, 18:20
It's not the money that is required to be spent, on a thru. It's the money that you select to spend. As you hike north and get into the more densely populated areas you cross more roads that lead to more creature conforts that are hard to pass up. Especialy after being on the trail for several days without a soft bed, hot shower and a good meal. Having enough money to be able to take advantage of this helps in a long way in having a sucessfull thru-hike. The trail can wear you down after hiking wet, dirty and hungary for good food, days on end. When you can get to town, eat a couple of good meals, sleep in a soft dry bed, take a hot shower, wash some dirty cloths and resupply, buying anything you want, having the funds to do this go a long way in making you a happy hiker once again.
It's not only the young that enjoy towns when doing a thru. I was 66 years on my thru-hike and if it wasn't for the town stops, I probably would have bailed.

Just reposting because though my hike is planned for 2015 this seems the most legit. Everyone says HYOH, hike your own hike. But I can't believe that I really know what that will be after a month on the trail. It might entirely change. Honestly, wouldn't it be nice to have that freedom of choice. I know for me the feeling of freedom when in the woods is why I love hiking so much in the first place.

AAhiker
05-23-2012, 18:53
Anyway if your like me and for some reason prefer pumping your own water from a stream to buying bottled water(though I can be a bit of a pepsiholic) and you have no problem throwing some soap in a trash compactor bag with your 5 articles of clothing and shaking that up for a bit(assuming you can dry them out after) then I bet you'll have no problem. You certainly seem like you'll be an A.T. success story. Side note, I have stayed in a few hostels in my day and I can't picture it being worth the cash unless your just trying to be social. The flat matresses and plywood underneath are no more comfortable than your sleeping pad and earth. I spent two weeks sleeping on my z-rest in the back of my SUV while going to WFR training to save cost and it felt more legit. I booked two nights in a hostel in downtown Baltimore at a "fancy" hostel. I spent half the first night in the hostel then went to my car for the peace and quiet and just sucked up the next night(no last minute refunds) and stayed in the car. Great place for community I suppose but terrible for sleeping.

AAhiker
05-23-2012, 18:55
correction, z-lite

OzJacko
06-04-2012, 06:00
I've always been curious about an individual's total cost and have asked many, many successful thru hikers that question. All-time favorite answer was "Do you want to know how much I spent? or do you want to know how much I told MY WIFE I spent..."
I love that answer.

This is all of great interest to me although I don't think I'll be too worried for myself.
As someone on a 6 month holiday in a foreign country I can't help thinking that the whole thing will come out as cheap.
My peers spend $15-$20k each on a 4 week cruise/European holiday and I expect that my son and I will have a total cost of less than $20k including airfares so while I won't be spending up on motels and will watch the budget it won't be a problem that stops the hike.

The REAL cost of the hike is the wages you aren't earning.
You will spend money on things you normally wouldn't (motel rooms, lots of AYCE meals etc) and not spend money on things you normally would (house expenses, commuting costs, whatever). In general this should even out with your normal living costs to a large extent.

What really makes the budget hurt is not having an INCOME. So that is why you have to have some idea of your budget and save if you can. Your savings have to play substitute for income.

Personally I expect I will have a credit card that my wife doesn't know about as well as the other accounts she does, just in case....

jersey joe
06-04-2012, 09:27

This is so true, the best example is after three days and 30 miles when so many hikers stop at Neels Gap Hostel for a shower and to rest. I was so confused on my thru-hike when people were stopping for the day at 9am.

coach lou
06-04-2012, 11:19
I've always been curious about an individual's total cost and have asked many, many successful thru hikers that question. All-time favorite answer was "Do you want to know how much I spent? or do you want to know how much I told MY WIFE I spent..."
I love that answer.

This is all of great interest to me although I don't think I'll be too worried for myself.
As someone on a 6 month holiday in a foreign country I can't help thinking that the whole thing will come out as cheap.
My peers spend $15-$20k each on a 4 week cruise/European holiday and I expect that my son and I will have a total cost of less than $20k including airfares so while I won't be spending up on motels and will watch the budget it won't be a problem that stops the hike.

The REAL cost of the hike is the wages you aren't earning.
You will spend money on things you normally wouldn't (motel rooms, lots of AYCE meals etc) and not spend money on things you normally would (house expenses, commuting costs, whatever). In general this should even out with your normal living costs to a large extent.

What really makes the budget hurt is not having an INCOME. So that is why you have to have some idea of your budget and save if you can. Your savings have to play substitute for income.

Personally I expect I will have a credit card that my wife doesn't know about as well as the other accounts she does, just in case....

My X thinks my Puma costs $350.00. Sherrie, wanted to know what my next pack was going to be, so I told her to go to the Mystery Ranch web site. ".........oh my!"

bigcranky
06-04-2012, 13:16
I was thinking about this when I went into Waynesboro for a resupply and a night off last week, so I kept track in my head on what I spent (and how I could have avoided spending it):

Ride to town: free. The Waynesboro Trail Angels group is awesome. Many thanks to Walter and Tom.

Lodging: $53 at the Quality Inn. I could have camped at the river for free, or stayed at the church hostel for a donation.

Lunch: $10 ($7.15 plus tax and tip) at the Chinese buffet. Highly recommended. It would be good even if I weren't hiking. I spent double this as I treated another hiker to lunch.

Dinner: $18 at Chickpea's Middle Eastern restaurant. Meh. Food was average at best, not worth it. Had I stayed at the church hostel, they had a free hiker dinner.

Resupply: $45 at Kroger, which is about $30 for three days of food, $10 for first aid supplies, mostly blister pads, and $3 for a couple bottles of beer.

Gear: $15 at Walmart for a deluxe CCF pad, $35 at the outfitter for new insoles for my trail runners. The pad got cut down to replace my hammock pad, and the insoles were highly necessary.

Breakfast: free at Weasie's, paid by a local without my knowledge. I would have objected strenuously, as I am not a thru-hiker, but I guess it was karma for the previous day. I could have eaten the free breakfast at the hotel, but I do have my standards. They are low, but they exist.

So, a night off and a 3-day resupply cost me $176. I could have saved $71 by staying at the hostel and eating the free dinner, but I wanted some privacy and I had the funds to pay for it. If I'd really wanted to be cheap, I could have spent $40 at the Kroger and $10 at the Chinese buffet and gotten a ride back to the trail.

BTW I'm not asking for a critique of my spending habits. As noted above, I'm perfectly aware of where I could have saved a few bucks. I'm simply providing some information to help answer the original question, "What costs so much?" This is one possible answer from one hiker's p.o.v.

clipless
06-11-2012, 15:02
Out of curiosity do any of our triple crown posters have any numbers for what it cost them to do each of the trails? Just wondering about how the CDT for instance would stack up against the AT. I would think the cost of individual town visits would increase but total number of town visits would be considerably less than AT therefore overall cheaper.