PDA

View Full Version : Hurt in SNP?

Mitey Mo
05-13-2012, 08:22
I wish I had know this before I met the injured Thru Hiker at Elkwallow Wayside. If you get hurt in the Park you can ask for aid and a Ranger will come and take you to it. This hiker's thigh muscle had knotted up from the downhills and he couldn't go any further. There is no cell service in the Park. Hope he is OK today.
I couldn't help as I was trying to hitch back to my car many miles away.

Studlintsean
05-13-2012, 21:20
Mitey Mo- We met at the shelter the other night (Sean). I will hear from the thru hikers when they get to DC Tuesday as my brother works to get them a good deal on a hotel in Crystal City. I should know an update about him.

Hikerhead
05-13-2012, 22:37
I wish I had know this before I met the injured Thru Hiker at Elkwallow Wayside. If you get hurt in the Park you can ask for aid and a Ranger will come and take you to it. This hiker's thigh muscle had knotted up from the downhills and he couldn't go any further. There is no cell service in the Park. Hope he is OK today.
I couldn't help as I was trying to hitch back to my car many miles away.

Can't get cell service? Never had a problem as long as I was on top of the ridge. SNP is only about 5 miles wide in most places as the crow flies. If I was hurt and I saw a Ranger I would have thought the Gods were watching over me. Why do you think they're out, just to write tickets?

I don't mean to sound like as arse. I hope he's ok.

Blissful
05-14-2012, 19:22
There is fairly good cell coverage except in a good chunk of the south.

Mitey Mo
05-14-2012, 19:28
The only place anybody I ever ran into that could get a signal anywhere is on a ridge south of Mary's rock. At pass mountain hut nobody could get a signal nor at elk wallow or sky land

Migrating Bird
05-15-2012, 07:16
Last summer, I called from Elk Wallow to hook up with my daughter, service was sketchy (Verizon) but it worked by the gas pumps in back of the store. I stopped to speak with a couple from Front Royal, who I met up the trail, just inside the treeline (north side of the picnic area). They were conducting a chestnut tree survey and the woman said "we just love the park, we see so many bears but none today" Just then a small bear was working it's way up the treeline toward us. Picnicers just a few feet away were oblivious that the bear was there. There was a family picking raspberries that didn't have a clue the bear was in the area. The bear finally saw us and just ambled off in the opposite direction.