PDA

View Full Version : Some Ideas on hiking cheaper

Mountain Mike
05-13-2012, 15:57
How to hike long distance cheaper.

On controversial topics about hiking is always how much it costs. The price is always
covers a huge range. To me it’s like asking somebody on the street how much a car costs. Some will be happy with an old beater that gets them from point a to b with no frills. Another wants a luxury spacious one with leather seats, satellite radio, & headed leather seats. Which answer is right? Both and neither. Like anything else you have to decide what works for you. Saying that, this article is just to offer some suggestions on how to hike cheaper. It’s not for everyone or for that matter anyone. Just some hints to think about & decide if some will work for you in some way.

Why the high estimates? When people first envision the AT they think of it as a trail through the wilderness. The reality is it’s not. It’s a path through the woods crossing numerous roads & through several towns. A hiker can re-supply every few days if they chose to. How & how often you do this is a major factor. Most hikers will spend more of their budget on town stops than food & equipment replacement/repair for the trail. The lure of 4 walls & a soft bed may not be what you envision planning but after a few days of rain just being dry is hard to resist. Then add restaurants meals. Your appetite will become unreal. On my thru I got off the trail for a while due to a sprained ankle & to work a few firework shows. Even when I got dropped back off at the hostel where I left off I decided on a zero due to the heat. I still ate 5 meals that day after over a week of feeding anytime I wanted at home. Eating in restaurants is expensive, then add a few bears to you tab…

So how to do it cheaper:

PLAN: Read trail journals. See how other people hiked the trail. Learn the realities of life on the trail. If you have a clear expectation of what to expect you can prepare better. Your mileage, appetite & level of comfort on the trail will be drastically different on week 4 of the trail than it is on week 1. Buy one of the trail guides; either Awol’s or the Companion from ALDHA. They will help you decide on the costs of places to stay in towns & shopping. Many hikers use these guides alone for the trail although I like having maps. You do not need the ATC state by state guides.

FOOD: This is your major expense & concern during you hike. Both on & off the trail.
Buy in bulk. See Mag’s article about re-supply & decide what works for you. If you do mail drops you can spend months shopping for deals locally. Stock up when things are on sale. What you spend on a ramen at a convience store can buy you a dozen in a bulk store. A big box of instant mashed potatoes can make a whole lot of individual meals, just add your own flavoring. Same with oatmeal. One container of quick cook can be divided in drops, carry supplements like dried fruits & sweeteners to add to it depending on your meal. Making you own alternative to packaged food isn’t all that hard or time consuming. Look at the cooking section on hear for ideas or go to library for books on trail cooking. Check out some of the references below for places that sell bulk trail food. Consider buying some freeze dried meats, TVP & veggies to build your own meals or add to store bought meals. Of course you could save a lot by dehydrating your own. If you go with the old standby of Knorr/Lipton packs with a few supplements of dehydrated meats & veggies can make them gourmet. Even going with commercial freeze dried foods shopping around can get you up to 20% discount buying your meals in bulk. Shipping can add to the considerably to the cost. If you buy most of your stuff at home & have it repackaged for the trail so you can get it and go without spending a night in town it's cheap. If you are spending the night anyway some stuff may not be worth shipping to towns with larger store. Maybe ship some items you are not likely to find. Or buy bulk items at bigger town & ship them ahead.
In towns consider cooking for yourself especially if with a group. Many hostels have cooking supplies some even a grille. At one hostel a bunch of us got together and pooled our money to make burritos. We dived up responsibilities slicing, dicing & cooking. Made for a tasty, memorable meal. With a bunch of people there are a lot of options. Make a deli spread of meats, cheeses, bread, veggies, & salads. Grill up steaks or chicken, baked potatoes, & corn on the cob. Make a huge salad. Even if you alone there are options. Make a 6 egg omelet, with fresh veggies & cheese. Fry a potato to go with it. Boil the rest of the eggs to carry out of town with you. I know lots of people are saying how it’s supposed to be a rest day, but this article is about saving money. Besides town stops are anything bust restful as any LDH knows.

Towns: Limit town stops & Zero days. You do have to stop & re-supply but how you do it can make a big difference. If you can get in & out of town without a night you saved the cost of lodging. Even if it’s a few miles & take a zero on the trail. Most hostels & campgrounds offer a shower only rate. Try & do it while you do laundry to save time. Pick which place to stop based on your budget. Using the hy-bred re-supply pick larger towns where you can buy what you want & ship ahead. If there are several of you, is renting a motel room cheaper than staying in a hostel? Share laundry loads. With the limited amount of clothes several hikers can combine loads. Share grocery shopping. Sort of the buy in bulk as above if you are buying as you go. Often the little things you need, can be bought in quantities & split up; fuel, tp, coffee & other drinks, etc.

Links:
Trail Journals: http://www.trailjournals.com/journals.cfm
Mags planning guide: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?54175-A-Quick-and-Dirty-AT-Guide&p=1278541#post1278541
AT Guide: http://www.theatguide.com/
ALDHA (Appalachian Long Distance Hiker Association) http://www.aldha.org/

Food:
Harmony House: http://www.harmonyhousefoods.com/
Honeyville Grains: http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/
Just Tomatoes: http://www.justtomatoes.com/jtstore/pc/All-Products-c2.htm
Mountain House: http://www.mountainhouse.com/
Wilderness Dining: http://www.wildernessdining.com/
Wisefoodstorage.com

Recipes:
http://www.onepanwonders.com/
Backpacking Chef: http://www.backpackingchef.com/
trailcooking.com
hungryhammockhanger.com

This is a quick attempt at first version. I will add links when I come up with them.

Rocket Jones
05-13-2012, 16:09
Recipes links: trailcooking.com and hungryhammockhanger.com

Food: Wisefoodstorage.com

As for the buy in bulk advice, people have to be aware that if their hike ends prematurely (injury or just don't want to do it anymore) they may be stuck with a whole bunch of food they don't want or need. Also by buying in bulk, you are assuming that you're going to want to eat the same thing throughout your hike. Tastes change, and what sounded good in Georgia might be something you can't stand by Virginia.

Wise Old Owl
05-13-2012, 16:11
Excellent......

Mountain Mike
05-13-2012, 16:25
As for the buy in bulk advice, people have to be aware that if their hike ends prematurely (injury or just don't want to do it anymore) they may be stuck with a whole bunch of food they don't want or need. Also by buying in bulk, you are assuming that you're going to want to eat the same thing throughout your hike. Tastes change, and what sounded good in Georgia might be something you can't stand by Virginia.

Very true. I forgot to put in suppliments should be carried separately to add as you see fit. Say Mashed Potatoes, what you add to them can make a big difference. Garlic & butter one night, sour cream & chives, a pouch 0f chicken & some gravy. Same for rice, oatmeals, grains. I should have also mentioned trying it at home first. If you like it there it will taste even better on the trail.

Finn&Fionna
05-13-2012, 16:53
very good info. Thanks for posting this. I saw you mentioned shipping a lot. Can you actually save money buying bulk and shipping ahead even when you factor in shipping costs? my understanding is that post offices will forward mail free of charge. so if I didn't need my stuff at that town I just ask them to forward it on. But if I open it I have to pay to have it moved on. Am I understanding this right? I wanted to try to avoid shipping things as I thought it would cost a lot more than just buying cheap things as I go. But if this is wrong, please let me know.

Thanks again!

garlic08
05-13-2012, 17:07
very good info. Thanks for posting this. I saw you mentioned shipping a lot. Can you actually save money buying bulk and shipping ahead even when you factor in shipping costs? my understanding is that post offices will forward mail free of charge. so if I didn't need my stuff at that town I just ask them to forward it on. But if I open it I have to pay to have it moved on. Am I understanding this right? I wanted to try to avoid shipping things as I thought it would cost a lot more than just buying cheap things as I go. But if this is wrong, please let me know.

Thanks again!

The USPS will forward a Priority Mail package if not opened.

The comparative cost of food shipped or bought all depends on what you eat. If you buy boxes of staple items like oats and instant potatoes, it doesn't make much difference where you buy them. You might save a buck on sale somewhere and mail it to yourself, just to find it at the same price in the grocery store down the street from the PO you just picked it up in. I noticed that pretty often on my first thru hike and just stopped mailing food packages where groceries could be bought in town.

But that was my diet and my hike. If you like more exotic things like dried hummus and dehydrated meats, or fancy freezer-bag cooking, or someone gives you a year's supply of powerbars and you can actually eat them, it makes more sense to use the mail.

Mountain Mike
05-13-2012, 17:09
Bulk buying helps if it allows you to get out of town without lodging. Not an option for many, but article is on how to save money. Often one can buy bulk in larger towns & ship what needed up next few stops to save money. But say you like the Knorr/lipton meals. They are available in most towns. Buying bulk freezedried/dehydrated meats, fruits & veggies to go in them isn't available on the trail. You have the advantage of being a couple where being a couple bulk buying on the trail is an option in many places.

As far as forwarding boxes. Yes most PO will forward it as long as you do not open it, BUT there are some that say as long as you do not take control of it. There is a post on here somewhere about it.

Thanks again!

camperjames64
05-13-2012, 17:44
Very cool.I don't eat at said restaurants in real world.don't see it being problem now.so that eliminated that.should be as fun as waiting out surf in rain in tents for days.thanx james

Odd Man Out
05-13-2012, 18:16
In Skurka's Gear Guide book, he talks a bit about how he uses this strategy of shopping in bulk and mailing supplies in advance to save money. But on the other hand, he has the experience to predict very accurately how his gear and body is going to perform, so he knows in advance of his trip what he will need and where and when he will need it.

garlic08
05-13-2012, 19:11
In Skurka's Gear Guide book, he talks a bit about how he uses this strategy of shopping in bulk and mailing supplies in advance to save money. But on the other hand, he has the experience to predict very accurately how his gear and body is going to perform, so he knows in advance of his trip what he will need and where and when he will need it.

AND he goes places where there aren't any stores.

Spokes
05-13-2012, 20:13
The USPS will forward a Priority Mail package if not opened.

Actually they will as long as you don't "take possession"of the package. I learned this the hard way after one Postal Wench laid my package down on the counter and when I told her I wanted to forward it she argued with me saying I already took possession of it and promptly charged me to send it on. Lesson learned.

From there on out whenever I wanted to forward my bounce box on, I clearly stated to the postal clerk that I didn't want to "take possession" of the package but wanted only to send it forward to the next town or wherever.

No problem from then on.......

Mountain Mike
05-13-2012, 20:16
You are the one who posted that! Where & when was it? In general that seemed to be the exception from all I seen & heard.
Actually they will as long as you don't "take possession"of the package. I learned this the hard way after one Postal Wench laid my package down on the counter and when I told her I wanted to forward it she argued with me saying I already took possession of it and promptly charged me to send it on. Lesson learned.

From there on out whenever I wanted to forward my bounce box on, I clearly stated to the postal clerk that I didn't want to "take possession" of the package but wanted only to send it forward to the next town or wherever.

No problem from then on.......

fiddlehead
05-13-2012, 20:29
Mountain Mike: I think your first paragraph in this thread says a lot about costs.
If someone lives on cars that are held together with bailing wire and glue, chances are they are going to spend a lot less on their thru then those who need to buy a new car every other year.
Life is priorities. What is yours?

fiddlehead
05-13-2012, 20:43
I'm one who believes that sending supplies saves money.
Not necessarily sending them from home either. Sometimes it's cost effective to send them from closer to where they are going (doing your resupply boxes from the trail)

Buying instant coffee, powdered coconut milk (something I eat a lot of on the trail), powdered cheese, and dehydrating my own fruits and veggies (tomatoes, broccoli, onions and bananas and peaches are my favorites) will save you a bunch and keep you from eating the same mac and cheese with tuna all too often. (or whatever's available in the "bubble" at small grocery stores)

Of course it's an old argument with lots of threads.

The other way I've saved a lot of money is by stealth camping in towns. (more out west where the weather is better than on the AT where it's usually raining too much)
Out west, staying clean isn't that much of a problem, especially in the summer when you can swim and wash clothes out often (meaning they dry quickly).
Hunger is the biggie. Having a bed to sleep in is not a thrill for me. When I'm hiking, I prefer the woods or a floor. Pillows tend to make my neck hurt.

But OK, on the AT, we need a hotel or hostel to get things clean and dried out. Use the one night rule (you can stay in town almost 2 full days but, sleep in the woods the 2nd night) That alone can save you a bundle.

If you need beer, drink it in your room. ( bought at the beer store ) Not at the bar.

Patton
05-20-2012, 22:18
Thanks for the input. I like some of your ideas.