PDA

View Full Version : Three Days In Big South Fork,tn

aaronthebugbuffet
04-07-2005, 22:04
I am going to Big South Fork next weekend. I was thinking of hiking along the John Muir Tr maybe starting in the western side near BSF/Pickett park border. If anyone has hiked that area I would like to hear your thoughts. Any suggestions for a loop, things I shouldn't miss, other good hiking areas,great campsites, advice etc. would be appreciated. I would be hiking for 3 days and could do 20miles per day if needed.

MedicineMan
04-07-2005, 23:17
please post on 'other trails' here after your hike in the Big South Fork...it is so close to home for me i am embarrased i've never explored anything there.

Stuart
04-07-2005, 23:36
Unfortunately Aaron the thing that stuck me about BSF in that area and Pickett especially is the number of dead trees. It has been about 2 years since I was last there, but driving through Pickett my impression was "devestation." This was also the case in BSF along the JMT at the tops of hills. There is a section there that makes a 6 mile loop or so at the top of a mountain, kind of looked like someone nuked it, but there was a lot of new growth coming up. It's not like that all over, but ceratin areas are startling or at least they were... this was worse at higher elevations in BSF. I'd double check for widow makers when you pitch the tent!

Tha Wookie
04-08-2005, 00:53
I did my NPS-funded thesis based on a 100-miles trail trail study there. I could tell you a lot more about those trails than you could want to know.

You can read my journals from there linked from www.trailjournals.com/nate (http://www.trailjournals.com/nate)

First, the trails there are hit and miss for hikers. A lot of the trail has HEAVY horse impacts -So much that some parts are very difficult to walk due to mud and severe erosion. But most of the JMT segments are very nice walking. Be ready when it corresponds and weaves in and out of River Trail West. That can be a difficult and sometimes umpleasant walk. Also, check with the park about the water levels and watch the levels, as the BSF regularly floods and covers the riverside trails in rainy periods.

If you want the best hike there, make sure you hit the Honey Creek Loop. I am telling you that is one awesome hike. No horses there. It's a challenging trail.

The JMT near ..um... the Grand Gap loop is also really nice, along the west edge of the canyon rim. Has some far-out views. Really spectacular. Hard to believe it's in the east. Just as cool as some of the best places on the AT, but I was hiking there for almost 2 months and saw 1 other hiker other than some friends who came to hike with me and Island Mama.

The smoky's gets all the traffic. But if you hit the right places, you'll be back there again, I promise.

They require a permit, which is expensive.

Feel free to ask about any specifics.

Oh yeah, he's right about the trees. The southern pine beetle has really ravaged the area. Keep you eyes up and off your boots. Camp clear of dead trees. They fall ALL the time. Also, watch out for ticks. They're prevelent, to say it gently. Especially on the horse trails.

Tha Wookie
04-08-2005, 00:57
i forgot, the JMT from honey creek north DID NOT EXIST when I was there, even though is is on the National Geo map. I you want to hike it, make sure you call and ask to see if it's been completed. I kind of doubt it.:cool:

MedicineMan
04-08-2005, 02:03
if you can state exactly where to start for an overnighter including the Honey Creek Loop....you mentioned expensive fees? wont the National Park pass work there?
I just want an overnighter there to 'claim' the park, something in the 12-15mile range.
Thanks!

Stoker53
04-08-2005, 05:51
Check local ( BSF ) weather forecast before you leave. Spring storms can drop lots of rain in a short period of time. BSF is known for flash flooding esp in the gulfs.

Important if your plan includes trails w/lots of creek crossings.

I was there 2 yrs ago in Jan and did notice a lot of pine bark beetle damage esp on the rim.

Lilred
04-08-2005, 18:07
if you can state exactly where to start for an overnighter including the Honey Creek Loop....you mentioned expensive fees? wont the National Park pass work there?
I just want an overnighter there to 'claim' the park, something in the 12-15mile range.
Thanks!
I did an overnighter at BSF and we didn't have to pay any fees at all. You do have to register to camp in the backcountry, but I don't recall any fees.

MedicineMan
04-09-2005, 00:21
which trail(s) did you use on that trip? details please :)

Tha Wookie
04-09-2005, 01:02
Thanks!Sorry, I can't elobarate right now, but the HC loop is less than 12 miles. Can't remember right now, but it is a GREAT one-nighter. One of the best in the SE, for sure! There's really nothing like it. It forces you to go very slow. Aslo there is "bootleg" access to a great swimming hole on the pristine river halfway on the trail.

I can give very detailed info in a couple of days when I get back to my data sets.

You can park right at the beginning at the loop trailhead. Southern end of the park.

permits are required, and there is a fee, as of Spring 2002. Call for current info.

peace.

Tha Wookie
04-09-2005, 01:08
http://www.nps.gov/biso/pphtml/maps.html

check it out
HC and other trail maps at BSF

Stuart
04-09-2005, 01:53
I'll second Tha Wookie's tick caution --- 16 deer ticks on me after a day hike. Tiny little buggers.

Also, I think it is the Grand Gap Loop mentioned above in which I was struck by the devestation to the pine trees.

aaronthebugbuffet
04-09-2005, 06:24
Thanks for the info Wookie. I'll check out the Honey Creek trail it sounds like fun. Then hike somewhere else the other days. Medman, I'll be sure to post when I get back. I'm going on the 15th if the weather is nice.

Lilred
04-09-2005, 21:44
I did an overnighter at BSF and we didn't have to pay any fees at all. You do have to register to camp in the backcountry, but I don't recall any fees.

Was just up there today. Backcountry fee is $5